Tonali & Zaniolo questioned by Italian police for illegal betting activities | Tonali charged by FA for betting while at Newcastle

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
It's bizarre to me that the powers that be seek out these punishments while openly targeting the exact same impressionable demographic for exploitation through gambling sponsorships and 24/7 exposure. It's a vicious cycle that will only get worse.
The powers that be don't care if players gamble, they just don't want players gambling on football as it's open to manipulation.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
How hard is it for footballers earning tens if not hundreds of thousands a week to simply not bet on football matches?
Gambling isn't just about the money. It's an addiction for certain types of people.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
turns out they hadn’t been gambling enough on their own matches to meet the minimum requirements of the italian fa. talk of them being banned from playing in italy altogether unless they start upping their initial bets.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Tonali confessed betting on Milan while he was a Milan player.
A Huge ban is coming but dunno how that will affect him playing EPL

Santos J

Could be a year at least then considering Fagioli got 7 months

Red Royal

Not a HUGE amount of media attention around this strangely.. I imagine if it were a Man United player it would be constantly on SSN, people would call for the player never to be selected again, EtH to be asked and the club to be banished to the Conference League.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Do people think Milan caught wind of this and were happy to let him go because of it...? :nervous:

cyberman

At least a year apparently.
Toney got away Scot free, I still can’t believe they Toney such a light sentence and waited until the end of the season so the summer took away 1/3 of it

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Could be a year at least then considering Fagioli got 7 months
Fagioli never bet on his teams and started collaborating months ago.
Tonali crumbled under pressure months later than this and confessed betting on his team
I don't think his punishment will be less than 1.5 years meaning missing the rest of this season and next one

Toney got away Scot free, I still can’t believe they Toney such a light sentence and waited until the end of the season so the summer took away 1/3 of it
well it seems (to me) that EPL and Liga has their priorities straight = not ruining their name around the globe as much as possible.
Something that italians don't seems to mind one bit.

I mean did you read anything about City? EPL just collected their cheating an announced it but actually didn't do anything.

Last edited:

Cloud7

Fagioli never bet on his teams and started collaborating months ago.
Tonali crumbled under pressure months later than this and confessed betting on his team
I don't think his punishment will be less than 1.5 years meaning missing the rest of this season and next one
Are cross league bans a thing? I know Suarez was but presumably that’s because that was in a FIFA tournament. If it’s the Italian FA sentencing him to a ban, is it mandatory to be enforced in England?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
There’d be page after page of people shitting on our board now if we’d signed him. Lack of due diligence etc…. Hope people remember other clubs mess up too.

BootsyCollins

Was always a bit suspicious they let such a highly rated Italian go. I just thought the dodgyness was on newcastles end.
Tonali knew himself to, so seems strange that he really wanted to stay at Milan as he must have known it would come and bite him in the ass.
As i understand it, now he might not even be banned from playing in the PL, as this happened in Serie A and involves matches there?

Santos J

Fagioli:

" I started betting in Tirrenia during the training camp of the Under 21 national team . I started playing because I saw that others were doing it. In the national team, betting was fun for me. I found myself in a position of stress caused by debts. There are bets on fouls and yellow cards: it was proposed to me, but I didn't accept because it was against my ethics ". Then he also talks about Tonali in the FIGC prosecutor's report of 5 September: " It was him who suggested I play on the illegal Icebet site and made me register via an account on the site in question. I am not able to say whether he bet on football events . I heard in the community that he had a lot of gambling debts. I made the first bets I placed bets on tennis events and then on football, but I have never bet on Cremonese and/or Juventus ." Among the matches he bet on he mentioned Turin-Milan on 30 October 2022, then on the 2021-22 Champions League matches, like Porto-Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid-Inter.

" I asked Gatti for 40 thousand euros , but told him that I needed them to buy a watch. I still have to give them back to him . My current accounts were controlled by my mother. Dragusin lent me another 40 thousand euros in October 2022 and I also have to return them to him . The loans were credited to me by bank transfer to the jewellery shop in Milan where I purchased the luxury watches to be delivered to the platform managers".

As my debt increased, I received increasingly heavy physical threats such as: 'I'll break your legs'. I thought I was playing just to pay the debt. During Sassuolo-Juventus (April 2023, ed) I made a technical error and was replaced. I burst into tears on the bench thinking about my betting debts ."

Swedish_Plumber

Tonali knew himself to, so seems strange that he really wanted to stay at Milan as he must have known it would come and bite him in the ass.
As i understand it, now he might not even be banned from playing in the PL, as this happened in Serie A and involves matches there?
Wouldn’t surprise if he gets a wee slap on the wrist. Could you imagine if this was a United player? The club would be deducted points :lol:

Arios

Supports
Juventus
well it seems (to me) that EPL and Liga has their priorities straight = not ruining their name around the globe as much as possible.

I mean did you read anything about City? EPL just collected their cheating an announced it but actually didn't do anything.

Wouldn’t surprise if he gets a wee slap on the wrist. Could you imagine if this was a United player? The club would be deducted points :lol:
I think any ban issued by italian FA will be valid even in EPL
It might be not immediate right after but shortly after (bureaucracy)

Else do you think Pogba could play anywhere outside Italy?
Probably only in non Fifa regulated tournaments

Nick7

Generally these bans are held up by other FA’s by gentleman’s agreement. Toney for instance simply would have been loaned out if other FA’s didn’t hold up the ban.

cyberman

I agree. I love Italys take no shit attitude. The fact everybody seems to be at it but are still severely punished when caught has a wonderful risk/reward element to it

cyberman

This group of players not betting on their own games but of others in that group needs to be really looked at closely before they rush to 1 year bans. It could be a lot worse

Oranges038

That's not really having priorities straight. It's just allowing cheating because it benefits them financially to not punish those clubs. City and Barca will never see punishment for the allegations against them. City have too much money and Barca are one of only two clubs that bring any sort of interest into La Liga.

Italy just seems to take the hard line every now and again. It's the right way to do it, but it's been to the detriment of Serie A and the lack of funds from TV and general interest in the league has impacted the development of players and the quality of the national team. It's in a sorry state.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
That's not really having priorities straight. It's just allowing cheating because it benefits them financially to not punish those clubs. City and Barca will never see punishment for the allegations against them. City have too much money and Barca are one of only two clubs that bring any sort of interest into La Liga.

Italy just seems to take the hard line every now and again. It's the right way to do it, but it's been to the detriment of Serie A and the lack of funds from TV and general interest in the league has impacted the development of players and the quality of the national team. It's in a sorry state.
well that was my point.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Are cross league bans a thing? I know Suarez was but presumably that’s because that was in a FIFA tournament. If it’s the Italian FA sentencing him to a ban, is it mandatory to be enforced in England?
Joey Barton once got an 18 month ban for betting offences near the end of his career and it was reported the FA would request FIFA to make the ban global if he ever tried to move to another country to avoid the ban.

Assuming the cases are similar, the bans would not necessarily be automatic in England but rather it would be up to the Italians to decide whether they want the culprits banned in other leagus or not. And seeing as how adamant the Italians seem to be to nail these guys' asses to the wall it would be strange if they didn't want it enforced elsewhere too.

Would also point out that after the Barton/Toney cases it would be very hypocritical of the English FA not to enforce the ban whether they're legally obligated to do it or not.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Surely betting on your own games has to come with a lengthy punishment? A year at minimum, but should really be more.

Borninthe80ts

There’d be page after page of people shitting on our board now if we’d signed him. Lack of due diligence etc…. Hope people remember other clubs mess up too.
This is what is was curious about too. Maybe im defensive but I feel like if this was a United issue both fans and the media would be dragging us through the mud more for not foreseeing this and another sign we are terrible. As you say, swings and roundabouts.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Surely betting on your own games has to come with a lengthy punishment? A year at minimum, but should really be more.
I agree. They are undermining the games integrity in a very heavy manner. A year is not enough for something like this. A ban for a year should only be applied to minor offences.

RedRocket9908

The Italian FA would have to ask FIFA to make it a global ban for it to be mandatory in England

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Not a HUGE amount of media attention around this strangely.. I imagine if it were a Man United player it would be constantly on SSN, people would call for the player never to be selected again, EtH to be asked and the club to be banished to the Conference League.
Can't tarnish the fairytale narrative being peddled regarding Newcastle, innit.

Oranges038

well that was my point.
Aye, it's cutting off your nose to spite your face. England and Spain will never do anything like this.

It's just a real shame that Italian football just seems to lurch from one scandal to the next. I'd love to see Serie A and the national team back up and competing with the best regularly again.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Tonali is an idiot and this is disappointing.

tbh Howe could probably get more out of him than ETH.
Good luck getting him to stop hiding from the ball. Your best bet is to play him as a number 10 like Scotland do, which obviously wouldn't be much of a like for like replacement for Tonali.