Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can’t see INEOS going for him. He doesn’t seem like the type of manager they’ll want. They’ll know full well he falls out with owners if he doesn’t get his own way. They’ll want someone in the mould of Ole, which is why we’ve been linked with potter and Southgate. They seem like the managers that will accept anything and just be grateful of the opportunity to manage a massive club. They’re like yes men.

Red_Aaron

I think it's somewhat obvious at this point that he'd be better than ETH in the immediate/short term. Could see us back in contention for CL and at the very least being a tougher proposition in games

I guess the only question is whether or not you believe in the long term narrative ETH has put forward in his time with us. I like ETH and wanted very much for him to succeed but performances this season have been so far away from just basic competence that you can't help but wonder if it's all just smoke and mirrors. Ineos have stated the importance of patience and making considered correct decisions rather than just knee jerk ones but results will always be King in every sport and the longer this downward trend continues the harder it will be to reverse.

I don't know enough about Tuchel to speak to the long term under him but I think at this point it's just as likely to get worse under ETH than it is to get better so this choice is seemingly the best option right now

Lyng

Given he prefers to work under a structure and wants to focus on the work with the team I believe he is the ideal choice, given the options available.

Woziak

He’s not the ideal candidate, however ETH coaching of the club this year and his stubbornness now has made him being here next season untenable!

With the current squad the only coach who has PL experience that could hit the ground running is Tuchel

Pros -
Premier League Experience
Previous CL winner and two times finalist
Anglophile whose even got Eric Dier playing
Speaks perfect English
Contrary to popular belief he plays attacking football
His teams are defensively sound
Was a sweeper as a player not against the idea in his teams
Gets to Domestic and European Finals quite regularly
His teams play with a lot of intensity
Flexible in team formation has played 4231 and a flat 433 and even 541 in CL final to beat Pep.
Has reached 14 Domestic and European Finals
He’s won 8 out of 14, losing 4 on pens
He’s won every single semi final he’s played in, this could be bad news for Real Madrid?

Cons
Wants control of transfers
Not very good at recruiting players
Constantly falls out with players
Not great with youth
Will definitely bring back Sancho
Will want to keep Rashford and Greenwood
Garnaucho will be benched
Mainoo marginlised but he will use him, how can you not.
Guaranteed to fall out with Wilcox and Ashworth with in 2 years maximum
He’ll change the Goal keeper

I really don’t know why so many fans are against this, for me this is Jose 2.0 but with more attacking output, he’s a huge upgrade and currently the only option plus he’s wanted the United job for a very long time.

slavishduke

He’s not the ideal candidate, however ETH coaching of the club this year and his stubbornness now has made him being here next season untenable!

With the current squad the only coach who has PL experience that could hit the ground running is Tuchel

Pros -
Speaks perfect English
Flexible in team formation has played 4231 and a flat 433 and even 541 in CL final to beat Pep.
He’s won every single semi final he’s played in, this could be bad news for Real Madrid?

Cons

Not great with youth

I really don’t know why so many fans are against this, for me this is Jose 2.0 but with more attacking output, he’s a huge upgrade and currently the only option plus he’s wanted the United job for a very long time.
I think you have have it backwards regarding transfers. He doesn't want anything to do with transfers and only want to coach, and that's why he fell out with Boehly, cause he was forced to spend more time with transfers than actual coaching which is what he wants.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
He is obviously a great coach but not much of a long term guy and more pragmatic than I'd like. I prefer my teams to be pressing and controlling the game in every match.
There ain't gonna be long term guys anymore. Better to accept it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Can’t see INEOS going for him. He doesn’t seem like the type of manager they’ll want. They’ll know full well he falls out with owners if he doesn’t get his own way. They’ll want someone in the mould of Ole, which is why we’ve been linked with potter and Southgate. They seem like the managers that will accept anything and just be grateful of the opportunity to manage a massive club. They’re like yes men.
Just interested to know where previous have they looked for 'yes men' in their previous work?

Ashworth, Berrada and Wilcox better not be yes men.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Just interested to know where previous have they looked for 'yes men' in their previous work?

To me it feels like a misunderstanding based on the idea that INEOS/their "higher level football people" will decide on the playing style and the fact that those people will decide on the squad/transfers.

But nothing about that has to mean that they don't appreciate valuable feedback from their manager.

Woziak

I think you have have it backwards regarding transfers. He doesn't want anything to do with transfers and only want to coach, and that's why he fell out with Boehly, cause he was forced to spend more time with transfers than actual coaching which is what he wants.
Even better if that’s the case, I thought he wanted specific players at Bayern and PSG and that’s why he fell out massively with Salihamidzic and Leonardo especially at PSG?

Tibs

Rather ETH get one more year than mess around with Tuchel, which will be the same disaster as all the others.

Woziak

There ain't gonna be long term guys anymore. Better to accept it.
Absolutely, two/three year fix is necessary and a coach that knows the league and can compete straight away, united fans thinking Tuchel is not good enough for us is beyond delusional, this guy is a serial winner look at his Semi Final record, if he was our coach for the FA Cup final that would be 65/35 chance in City Favour, right now this is 90/10 chance in City Favour.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Even better if that’s the case, I thought he wanted specific players at Bayern and PSG and that’s why he fell out massively with Salihamidzic and Leonardo especially at PSG?
It was usually less about specific players and more about certain positions/profiles. Like in this summer where his main priority was a proper DM, improve the central defence and get a new striker.

He got no DM, saw multiple CBs sold/loaned out, got only Kim as a replacement who can't talk to his teammates, and got Harry Kane. No wonder he went mental.

Wilt

Rather ETH get one more year than mess around with Tuchel, which will be the same disaster as all the others.
“One more year” of this shite?

Opposition fans would love Utd to keep ETH.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It was usually less about specific players and more about certain positions/profiles. Like in this summer where his main priority was a proper DM, improve the central defence and get a new striker.

He got no DM, saw multiple CBs sold/loaned out, got only Kim as a replacement who can't talk to his teammates, and got Harry Kane. No wonder he went mental.
I get what you're saying but getting Harry Kane is a game changer for any manager surely?

Bondi77

Would you rather like something or be an object of respect?
The question should be;
Would you rather work in a country where you are respected or work in a country that you are not as highly respected but it is your homeland?

davidmichael

Anyone wanting him must be having a laugh. He’s completely failed at the biggest club in Germany with all the advantages they have in the league. Shouldn’t have won the league last season and been dominated this season. It was the same at Chelsea, they were poor in the league.
Such a short sighted answer, you do realise that Leverkusen are breaking records in Germany this season right ? Bayern have been erratic for a few years which is why they fired Nagelsmaan then made a play recently to bring him back, if it wasn’t for Dortmund bottling it in the last few games last season Bayern wouldn’t have won the league last season and that was Nagelsmaan’s team that Tuchel inherited.

At Chelsea he was widely regarded by experts in the game and a lot of fans as only being behind Guardiola and Klopp as the best coach around and there were problems at Chelsea before he got there as they were a shambles under Lampard before Tuchel then worse under Potter after Tuchel, it’s also been said in this thread countless times that Tuchel was in the right at Chelsea as Boehly fired all of the football structure and expected Tuchel to be a Sir Alex god like manager who did all roles.

Would you rather De Zerbi because he plays nice football ? Would you prefer Southgate or Potter because they’re English ? Because those are your alternatives. Ratcliffe wants us to go with a head coach model with Brailsford, Blanc, Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and Williams sorting everything like our style of play, incoming transfers and profile out which suits Tuchel perfectly as he just wants to coach the squad.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This is a fecking stretch of a post.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Absolutely, two/three year fix is necessary and a coach that knows the league and can compete straight away, united fans thinking Tuchel is not good enough for us is beyond delusional, this guy is a serial winner look at his Semi Final record, if he was our coach for the FA Cup final that would be 65/35 chance in City Favour, right now this is 90/10 chance in City Favour.
From where are you getting that 10 pct! Sad to see so many still stuck in the delusion of a SAF reincarnation. The long term guy. It's like people are stuck in a time warp.

Crashoutcassius

He's better than eth but ole was better than eth so not that interesting a point.

I would prefer we take someone with an unknown ceiling rather than someone we know isn't going to ever be among the best managers in the league. Once managers like this start to fail over and over, like Jose, it becomes inevitable.

davidmichael

He fell out with PSG because Leonardo wanted superstar glamour signings like their version of Woodward whilst Tuchel wanted to bring in players to fit the system and was vindicated afterwards.

Fell out with Chelsea because Boehly fired all of the footballing structure like Cech and Marina then expected Tuchel to be a Sir Alex like figure that basically did everything from coaching, transfers and identifying incoming players whilst Tuchel just wanted to coach.

Not sure on Bayern but he has got a really lop sided and unbalanced squad so it’s likely that may be the reason he’s fallen out with Bayern, thing with Bayern is they’ve been unbalanced a while and only won the title last season because Dortmund massively bottled it but that was Nagelsmaan’s squad and Tuchel inherited it mate whilst this year Leverkusen are breaking records in order to win the league.

Wilt

:lol:

DJ_21

Think you misunderstand my point. I think the new owners are gonna want people that will just get on with the job and not argue. Tuchel will most likely want control over signings. We’re trying to get rid of that.

DJ_21

If he couldn’t win the league in Germany with Harry Kane leading the line then he’s got no chance with our ST.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
People keep repeating this but I'm not sure if it's particularly well backed up. From the big Athletic piece on him leaving Chelsea:

In the midst of pre-season, Chelsea’s head coach also felt the extensive discussions over targets ate into the time he needed to prepare his players for the new season, feeding into his decision to send his agent to attend in his place.

Tuchel’s initial wishlist of players included Matthijs de Ligt, Raphinha, Frenkie de Jong and Presnel Kimpembe, none of which the new owners managed to deliver. There was also a disagreement over the method of identifying targets: Boehly and Eghbali leaned on data analysts with experience in US sports, while Tuchel stressed the need for him to be able to talk to potential signings in order to get a feel for their personalities and how they might fit into the group.

He also felt he was forced to devote too much time and energy into trying to steer the new owners away from signing players he did not want — namely Ronaldo and Jules Kounde, who Mendes had the mandate from Atletico to sell. Chelsea insist they were the ones who decided to leave Kounde to Barcelona, having decided that Wesley Fofana was a better physical fit for the Premier League after conducting an extensive data analysis of right-sided defenders.
So yes, there's the grain of truth regarding wanting more time to coach, but also very clearly wants involvement in identifying players to be brought in. Some quick reading about other clubs he's left all mention similar things, disagreeing with the top brass over transfers. He could be right in his views (eg on Ronaldo, although his alternative was a past-it former player of his, which sounds familiar), but he doesn't "want nothing to do with transfers".

There's also stuff like this:

Pre-season was also the setting for Tuchel to employ the unusual tactic of arranging two separate player meetings: one for those who wanted to stay and fight for the club, and another for those either uncertain about their futures or minded to leave.

The fact that some of those who wanted to leave were then included in Tuchel’s squad to face Everton on the Premier League’s opening weekend, while others who signalled their desire to stay were not, severely undermined his dressing room authority in the view of many inside Chelsea
and this:

Within that context, Tuchel becoming only the second Chelsea coach to give no league minutes to teenagers last season was noted. The impression of distrusting youth was reinforced by his insistence following the Southampton defeat that he had “no one left” to play in central midfield, while leaving Billy Gilmour and summer signing Carney Chukwuemeka unused on his bench.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Pros -
Speaks perfect English

Cons
Not great with youth

Since when does he wants control of transfers and how is he not great with youth? He wants to be a head coach and isn't a fan of being involved with transfers and he is excellent with youth players, he is the one that gave PSG youth players the best chances and most playing time.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If he couldn’t win the league in Germany with Harry Kane leading the line then he’s got no chance with our ST.
He couldn’t win the league because Leverkusen have been incredible. 80% of time Bayern’s current performance would have got them the league but it’s hard to compete when you are up against a team that win 80% of their games and lose none.

Bayern are currently on 2.2 points per game. It’s by no means a bad season. Somewhat underwhelming, yes, but not bad.

DJ_21

He couldn’t win the league because Leverkusen have been incredible. 80% of time Bayern’s current performance would have got them the league but it’s hard to compete when you are up against a team that win 80% of their games and lose none.

Bayern are currently on 2.2 points per game. It’s by no means a bad season. Somewhat underwhelming, yes, but not bad.
Them finishing 12 pts behind tells a different story. It would be different if they only finished a few points behind. This tells you Bayern haven’t won some games they should have.

simplyared

Out of all the coaches out there at present that are possible, he's the best there is and I'm pretty sure he understands the history of our club and would embrace the challenge. Always thought he came across well in the media when he managed Chelsea. Highlight for me was when he had that touchline bust-up with Conte. Thought he handled it perfectly!

RuudTom83

Whenever discussing a potential new manager, you have to look at the group of players and see if they are a good fit with the manager.

The problem at United is the squad is made up of...
Injury prone players.
Players on the decline/later stages of there careers.
A shit tonne of wannabe no.10's.
A few kids with high potential.

No manager is going to come in an get success without going through loads of pain...is Tuchel going to be here to guide the team through a re-build and nurture the younger players?

My gut reaction would be No!

Orange Tree

No. But rather Tuchel than Southgate or another season of Ten Hag. He has lost it.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Might work. He might fit for 18 months or so on a short term contract.

Am convinced ETH will never turn it around now. The dressing room looks like it needs new leadership and nobody really looks like they have a clue how they are supposed to play.

And yes no Southgate under any circumstances.

mintyred

He's a complete myth as a manager and has a difficult personality. It would be more of the same.

Winrar

I’d take him in a heartbeat, especially given other options.

Only alternatives are crapshoots like McKenna hoping for the likes of him to become the next Xabi Alonso. Or other underwhelming choices like Southgate.

abkmufc92

We cannot keep Ten Hag for another season so yeah I would take him.