Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Woziak

To a large extent circumstances have dictated this, in Hojlund's case the alternative has been Rashford, in Garnacho's case that would have meant Amad who's almost as young and inexperienced, and Mainoo's replacerment would have been a combination of McT and Amrabat
And there lies the problem, we have some wonderful kids and young men but they need the right role models to develop into the players we want them to be!

What did Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Greenwood learn from Wayne Rooney, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paul Pogba and Edison Cavani, not nearly enough, especially when you considered what a young Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani and Tevez learnt from players like Scholes, Keane, Giggs, Carrick, Rio and Vidic!

This generation of pampered entitled players needs great role models, it’s not about their weekly pay packet, it’s about how hard they work in front of the fans when they are given their chance.

The new generation which has recently been successful at under 18 level look like a different breed, they talk well and seem to understand what’s required at a club so big, we really have to thank our one real success story recently and that’s our Academy Director Nick Cox and his staff.

Woziak

“One more year” of this shite?

Opposition fans would love Utd to keep ETH.
That decision on ETH has been made already, new owners all want their own man and ETH has given them the excuse they needed with no CL football next season.

If he did not have a cup final to play, he would have been gone already this season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
And there lies the problem, we have some wonderful kids and young men but they need the right role models to develop into the players we want them to be!

What did Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Greenwood learn from Wayne Rooney, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paul Pogba and Edison Cavani, not nearly enough, especially when you considered what a young Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani and Tevez learnt from players like Scholes, Keane, Giggs, Carrick, Rio and Vidic!

This generation of pampered entitled players needs great role models, it’s not about their weekly pay packet, it’s about how hard they work in front of the fans when they are given their chance.

The new generation which has recently been successful at under 18 level look like a different breed, they talk well and seem to understand what’s required at a club so big, we really have to thank our one real success story recently and that’s our Academy Director Nick Cox and his staff.
Not gonna get any arguments from me with this, on the bolded bit I'd add a section of our fans as well

Wilt

That decision on ETH has been made already, new owners all want their own man and ETH has given them the excuse they needed with no CL football next season.

If he did not have a cup final to play, he would have been gone already this season.
Hope you’re right

davidmichael

You do know that I’m a fan right, I was trying to give a balanced view and the pros greatly outweigh the cons, my point with youth in the same way he’s handled the talented youth at Bayern, he would soley not rely on Garnaucho, Mainoo and Hojlund to be starting every game and putting so much pressure on such young players.

He may start one, maybe two and have the others come from the bench. All three are super talented but sometimes they will have dips in form due to them playing too many minutes and having too much mental pressure piled on them, plus as their bodies develop they will suffer from more physical tiredness until they probably reach 22 or 23.
Sorry if it came across in that way, I’m aware you’re a fan and take a lot from your posts especially regarding the financial side of things and you break it down in a way that’s easy to understand.

If Tuchel came in and didn’t rely on Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund as much as we currently do I’d be very happy as the way ETH relies on them could burn them out, it’s one thing that everyone would like about Tuchel in that he doesn’t care for superstar players and wants players to fit the system he’s coaching so he’d want balance.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Consider the likelihood that City and Pool would've been as good as they were over the past 8-9 years with lesser managers. It wouldn't have happened. It was Pep's management that got them there.
It's not what happened. Txiki Begiristain was hired in from Barca to tempt Pep. Pellegrini worked through the early years of the transition. Only when the club was in decent shape did Pep arrive. He simply wouldn't have come to run a shitshow, just like Klopp turned us down. Even then it took a couple of seasons. We are starting from a much lower base.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's not what happened. Txiki Begiristain was hired in from Barca to tempt Pep. Pellegrini worked through the early years of the transition. Only when the club was in decent shape did Pep arrive. He simply wouldn't have come to run a shitshow, just like Klopp turned us down. Even then it took a couple of seasons. We are starting from a much lower base.
The club were in more than decent shape when he arrived. They'd won a couple of leagues in the preceding years and finished 2nd twice.

pascell

I'm not even sure who I'd want as manager anymore. I wanted ten Hag before we brought him in as I thought he would bring a very flexible tactical approach, would have us playing an aggressive pressing game and make us better when in possession, none of those things have happened.

The names of the managers that are easy to obtain don't really fill me with much optimism that they'd get us back on the right track.

glazed

The club were in more than decent shape when he arrived. They'd won a couple of leagues in the preceding years and finished 2nd twice.
Exactly my point. Sheikh Mansour bought club in 2008 and they started winning premier league titles in in 2011. Txiki arrived 2012 and Pep in 2016. It's been a progression. By comparison we still have the Glazers.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Get him in. He would be brilliant for us. I’m tired of us hiring tactically inept or has been managers or with no personality or charisma. I want a manager who can coach who has managed big personalities who isn’t afraid to take this massive job and look clueless.

Woziak

Sorry if it came across in that way, I’m aware you’re a fan and take a lot from your posts especially regarding the financial side of things and you break it down in a way that’s easy to understand.

If Tuchel came in and didn’t rely on Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund as much as we currently do I’d be very happy as the way ETH relies on them could burn them out, it’s one thing that everyone would like about Tuchel in that he doesn’t care for superstar players and wants players to fit the system he’s coaching so he’d want balance.
Totally agree, the positive right now is Wilcox is in the door and he is a ‘Football Man’ who knows what success looks like as a player and a youth coach and his review will be obvious to the fans.

We lack players with. Legs, mobility and intensity. Wilcox has already suggested that the club immediately needs a Fitness Coach. When Ashworth joins with Omar Berrada , they will immediately look at the coach and the players needed. Wilcox review will state the obvious that all fans know; The spine of the team is not fit for purpose, and if we are being honest as fans the club deserves to finish somewhere between 12th and 14th based on the way we play.

Young Players like Garnaucho, Mainoo and Hojlund need a few seasons before they adjust to play 45-60 high intensity games per season, but they can all have huge impacts next seasons without undue pressure.

That’s why this summer the recruitment is critical, the club must buy a top quality CB aged 24-26 like Bastoni, a senior CM/DM like A Rabiot, a young dynamic CM like
J Neves and two elite attackers, one Right winger who is creative like M Olise and a true goal scoring CFW who gets you 20 goals a season like D Solanke, I Toney, or
V Osimhen

That sort of massive change in personal would cost the club £270-300m investment and you would still need another 3/4 players at Right Back, Left Back, Young CB and maybe another attacking player depending on how many strikers we release or sell.

glazed

Not sure this is true. They seem to be long term thinkers and they will move for the right person once they have decided who that is in the context of a ten year strategy. That might be possible in summer or it might not.

What they won't do (I hope and believe) is appoint some random like Ole who will put together a string of results based on a sugar rush of bargain basement tactics and short term buys, then be impossible to fire when it falls apart again.

FujiVice

Onana, Dalot, Shaw, Martinez, Mainoo, Bruno, Hojlund and Garnacho under a good coach is far from the worst base for a rebuild. Maybe even Rashford if he's staying. A few additions and someone like Tuchel, who knows the league has to be worth a punt.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
I would rather Potter over Tuchel to be honest.
Tuchel finished 4th and won the CL, then third, and then shortly into the next season was sacked and Potter came in and saw Chelsea to 12th in the league.

Todd Boehly had that same thought and I'm sure massively regretted it. Tuchel has had a 60% win rate or higher at his last 4 clubs. Different caliber to Potter imho.

El Jefe

I like him as a coach for what he does on the pitch but there’s a lot more to the job than that.

His man management, prickly behaviour and willingness to promote youth are big turn offs. With new owners still putting things in place I’m not sure he’s the best option because he seems to be insufferable in the midst of the slightest inconvenience.

Wilt

I would rather Potter over Tuchel to be honest.
To expect Potter who has won absolutely nothing of any note to come to a one of the worlds biggest clubs and turn them around into serious title contenders is total madness.

What evidence is there to support that Potter could be successful at United?

Pav1878

I would take him.
A head coach who has won titles to come in work with the new Technical Director and Sporting Director.

someone who can get some defensive organisation and structure, get the team improving the running stats, reduce the number of shots faced and ‘steady the ship.’ Makes sense to me.

Ten Hag was supposed to be the progressive manager we were calling for and it hasn’t worked out.

everyone is looking for the next klopp or pep. It’s not easy to find. Plus everything else needs to fall into place too, recruitment, structure etc.

I would take anyone like Tuchel who can make us competitive again.

Pav1878

I like him as a coach for what he does on the pitch but there’s a lot more to the job than that.

His man management, prickly behaviour and willingness to promote youth are big turn offs. With new owners still putting things in place I’m not sure he’s the best option because he seems to be insufferable in the midst of the slightest inconvenience.
fair enough. But I would add that several of the managers you probably rate eg pep, klopp, are also prickly characters who create a fuss when things don’t go their way either.

BorisManUtd

Ten Hag's position seems to be untenable at this point so you'd think Tuchel is best option out of available candidates, at least looking at his experience at big clubs and overall CV.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

That is a core part of the club's DNA, if you want a manager that doesn't do that then United aren't really the club for you

croadyman

He just gives me Mourinho vibes. Could be great; could be a disaster.
Would I change him for ETH…in a heartbeat, yes!
Yeah I feel exactly the same but want the chance to find out which version of him we get

Jezpeza

Incumbent managers never survive a takeover. Especially ones as shit as ours.

Even when they are doing well they are usually booted straight out the second they hit a patch of bad form.

My guess is that they haven’t seen the worth in sacking him with us out the CL/League Cup so early and with us obviously doing nothing in the league.

We’ve been awful for about 13 months now and they are not clearing out the hierarchy and hiring Berada, Wilcox and Ashworth etc to leave this total failure in charge.

They will roll the dice and Tuchel is the best available IMO

Theonas

Scout
To expect Potter who has won absolutely nothing of any note to come to a one of the worlds biggest clubs and turn them around into serious title contenders is total madness.

What evidence is there to support that Potter could be successful at United?
I don't think Potter is a good fit and don't want him here. But there are several examples of coaches who haven't anything and still went on to get their team to compete or even win. Experience helps but it ain't a definite metric by any stretch.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
I think that 's a very superficial take that's completely wrong. Put Pep in charge of Burnley they still won't win anything.
The coach is the Head Chef of the restaurant. You can put Gordon Ramsay in charge of your local ran down pub he still wont win Michelin stars. But for sure he is gonna make it improve a feck ton. Manager importance is underrated between fans imo. They arent the most important thing in a club anymore but they are the difference that separate title challengers and winners.

Newstyle

Hm, definitely not an inspiring pick. It's puzzling why some are defending his track record of being fired from his last four jobs. It's likely he'll face the same fate at United within two years, and then we're back to square one. Again. With his concerning personality, conflicts with players and management, inability to promote youth, and overly pragmatic approach, I'll pass. I'd rather take a chance on a coach whose potential is unknown.

Last edited:

SirMattlives

If we limit hiring to managers who have won titles or cups then it's a small pool. Most managers never win a title and everyone that does has to win their first somewhere (hello Moysie!). And what's that criterion worth when we saw LvG's and Jose's impact here? I do think Tuchel, properly backed, could have a positive impact but I really want a long-term successful structure more than a new coach right now. If Tuchel is the choice over Potter, de Zerbi, or Southgate, then I'd be ok but I'm more interested in seeing the club get itself organized properly, recruiting well, developing young players and undoing the damage of the Woodward years than I am of investing much hope in a new face.

AneRu

Hm, definitely not an inspiring pick. It's puzzling why some are defending his track record of being fired from his last four jobs. It's likely he'll face the same fate at United within two years, and then we're back to square one. Again. With his concerning personality, conflicts with players and management, inability to promote youth, and overly pragmatic approach, I'll pass. I'd rather take a chance on a coach whose potential is unknown.
Big clubs, if they make big club moves, rarely ever get back to square one. What we have to do is get him to make us competitive whilst Wilcox and Ashworth rebuild the club in the background. Say he comes in, wins the Europa to earn us CL footie and finish fourth in the first season and gets in the CL, in the following one, takes us to the quarters and finishes fourth, to me that will be worth it even if he burns the house down and has to go.

Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox will have to use those two seasons to build a side that matches their vision and what the fans want to see. Look at Newcastle, for example, they have the makings of a competitive team which can easily overtake the likes of Spurs and Villa if they play their cards right in the summer. So the onus is on the football board to build a strong side, one that can survive the manager so that the incoming manager won't have to start from scratch.

Cloud7

The opinions on Tuchel are weird. The man is a proven quality manager. He is not wedded to any single tactical approach as we can see his chelsea and bayern teams are very different. He's won stuff everywhere he's been. He doesn't care about transfers and just wants to get on with coaching.

AndySmith1990

The opinions on Tuchel are weird. The man is a proven quality manager. He is not wedded to any single tactical approach as we can see his chelsea and bayern teams are very different. He's won stuff everywhere he's been. He doesn't care about transfers and just wants to get on with coaching.
Yeah, he sounds ideal really. I don't see what's so bad about giving him a go

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah, he sounds ideal really. I don't see what's so bad about giving him a go
He doesn't tolerate idiots around him. There are a lot of idiots in and around United's team. I fully get the concern that that might explode quite quickly :lol:

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton

Willingness to promote youth a turn off ?? Surely that's what we do need instead of spanking £85 mill on one footed wingers

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Think Rio interviewed him whilst at PSG and he came across really well. Decent guy and very enthusiastic.

Did some further reading after about his pre PSG time and he’s a massive student of the game, constantly looking to improve.

If you get past the lazy cliches then he’s actually quite an interesting option - was personally gutted when Chelsea got him and not us.

Not bald though so swerve

Foolsgold21

I think all roads are leading this way. Big Jim won’t be content with this current nonsense by Ten Hag - Tuchel is best of a bad bunch.

Also no compensation to pay, which is a bonus when you look at the £10m Liverpool are shelling out for Arne.

Pscholes18

There is something wrong with a manager who has lasted only two seasons at every major club he's been at.

davidmichael

Totally agree, the positive right now is Wilcox is in the door and he is a ‘Football Man’ who knows what success looks like as a player and a youth coach and his review will be obvious to the fans.

We lack players with. Legs, mobility and intensity. Wilcox has already suggested that the club immediately needs a Fitness Coach. When Ashworth joins with Omar Berrada , they will immediately look at the coach and the players needed. Wilcox review will state the obvious that all fans know; The spine of the team is not fit for purpose, and if we are being honest as fans the club deserves to finish somewhere between 12th and 14th based on the way we play.

Young Players like Garnaucho, Mainoo and Hojlund need a few seasons before they adjust to play 45-60 high intensity games per season, but they can all have huge impacts next seasons without undue pressure.

That’s why this summer the recruitment is critical, the club must buy a top quality CB aged 24-26 like Bastoni, a senior CM/DM like A Rabiot, a young dynamic CM like
J Neves and two elite attackers, one Right winger who is creative like M Olise and a true goal scoring CFW who gets you 20 goals a season like D Solanke, I Toney, or
V Osimhen

That sort of massive change in personal would cost the club £270-300m investment and you would still need another 3/4 players at Right Back, Left Back, Young CB and maybe another attacking player depending on how many strikers we release or sell.
There’s a lot of quality out there if we’re clever as Guido at Betis is also like Rabiot on a free and would be a like for like Casemiro replacement but with legs and there’s also Varela at Porto who wouldn’t cost a fortune, I agree with Neves as he reminds me a lot of Carrick but better at ball winning.

I’m sure Bastoni has said before he doesn’t ever want to leave Inter and is kind of their poster boy plus with him being left footed it would mean two left footers at centre back with him and Martinez, I’d love either of Silva at Benfica or Diomande at Sporting and think Diomande may have a release clause this summer.

My only concern with Olise is the hamstring injuries as I remember Giggs and Michael Owen having major problems in their 20’s with their hamstrings and with how inept our medical department is that could be a problem and it’s the same with Neto at Wolves, if we manage to move Greenwood and Sancho on and maybe even Antony I’d throw the lot at Chelsea for Palmer who’s a massive United fan as is his whole family.

Looks like Osimhen is off to PSG so he’d be off the table but I think Toney only has a year left on his contract so that could be the move although everything depends on what we can do with outgoings. You’re far better with finances than me but moving Casemiro, Varane and Martial on is £1 million a week in wages then there could be Bayindir, Lindelof, Williams, Malacia, Fernandez, Eriksen, VDB, Hannibal, Pellestri, Sancho and Greenwood which could bring in £150 million and probably another £1 million a week in wages off the books too.

CM

There is something wrong with a manager who has lasted only two seasons at every major club he's been at.
The simple solution for that would be giving him a contract to reflect that. Or at least incentivise it so a 3rd year only becomes an option if we qualify for the Champions League in his 2nd year.

glazed

The coach is the Head Chef of the restaurant. You can put Gordon Ramsay in charge of your local ran down pub he still wont win Michelin stars. But for sure he is gonna make it improve a feck ton.
Your analogy would be apt if you added that he was not allowed to change the ingredients and the previous owners only shopped in the Tesco discount aisle.