Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, it's very difficult to intepret ability with youth team players and make accurate projections. It seems ridiculous in hindsight to think certain players were predicted as future greats, but I don't think that these comparisons were necessarily invalid at the time.

Loads of gifted players don't fulfil their potential. For various reasons, but not always because they didn't have the ability to. Players like Quaresma may have been touted as the next this or that, but subsequent players who have actually gone on to deliver on such hype may not have had more ability than Quaresma. I reckon there are some players playing at lower league clubs who have more ability than Premier League players. And I know some players who have made it pro who were not as gifted as others as kids.

We are often premature with wild claims and comparisons, but I think many people can intepret special ability when they see it. Of course, doesn't mean it will ripen, but at the time, the kid may have enough skill to become a great.

You're right, to a point. Fans are privy to the development of cantera players, however. You see their progression and can gauge who has it and who doesn't. By 15/16 is when you start thinking whether they can be a success in 1st team football, IMO.

What about Juan Roman? He was supposedly the jewel in City's academy then Barca nabbed him at the end of last season.

Has barely played really but then again, hard to judge talents under Eusebio - he's made a mess of the B team, IMO

It's very complex, footballers are as disparate as any two people, the only way to judge them is to see them every day and how they react in various ways. And even at that it's impossible to see a year down the line. The idea that glimpses we get means we can see clearer than the professional staff at somewhere like Barca is beyond mental.

Exactly, and that's why I wouldn't be over excited with his signing should Barcelona be so willing to let him go. Especially for the 'humble' fee of £21million.

He'd be a good signing, but not the solution. Not yet, anyway.

I actually think that's a great price, if you're being serious.

£21million for a young central midfield player with big potential, probably as good a deal as you'll get today.
I am being serious but £21m for an unproven talent is far too much and even more pointless, IMO, with a certain Tom Cleverley and Nick Powell waiting in the wings.

I agree with you, Kid Cunto on trying to find a certain player, who is ready for the Premier League, e.g. Matic, Gündogan (unlikely), Modric, Moutinho, to name a few.

I think it would be a lot cheaper then 21m, Barca are going to want a buy back clause, which they will no doubt exercise if we turn him into a star.

Well to be honest, my statement that quite a few of our squad would not get into Barcelona's over the last few years is pretty much fact. We have seen when meeting them in recent years that they have been quite a fair bit better than us.

We have a better defence than them I reckon, and they are superior in front of of the defence. I'd say only van Persie would get into their side. As for their wide men, just because theirs aren't as good as Messi/Iniesta doesn't mean they are not very good. Football fans always seem to think any old winger is better than Pedro, for instance. What has Nani done to prove himself better than Pedro? 'On his day'? Which day is that? On most days, he's a substitute.

I think their 'mortal' players get judged harshly simply because they have a few ridiculously good, amongst the best ever playing next to them. For this reason, people are now going as far as to say Danny Welbeck is better than David Villa, when again, very little backs that up.

That's not what I said though, where did I say better? Considering the age of the two players and their injury record would you get rid of Welbeck if it meant we could bring in Villa? I sure as hell wouldn't. I just think Welbeck's more suited to our squad than Villa would be and Villa may be better suited to Barca' than Danny.

Berbatov is a more talented player than Welbeck but I think I know who most would rather have in our squad.

You can't rally say with any certainty who would and wouldn't get into another teams squad because it depends who the manager/owner wants at the club and how they want to play.

There's no real quantifiable way of judging a players' quality(even if stats seem a good indicator), it's all down to opinions. Messi is widely lauded as the best player in the world and most of us would concur, but when all said and done it is just another opinion.

This isn't no flash in the pan talent.. he's very unique, in terms of technical ability wow. Just needs to find a team that can mould him and give him regular games.Can he play in a two man midfield? don't know but if he's available for that money, would be silly not to buy him, he'd even be decent on the wing cutting in. Imagine a side with him and Kagawa pulling the strings.

I am being serious but £21m for an unproven talent is far too much and even more pointless, IMO, with a certain Tom Cleverley and Nick Powell waiting in the wings.

I agree with you, Kid Cunto on trying to find a certain player, who is ready for the Premier League, e.g. Matic, Gündogan (unlikely), Modric, Moutinho, to name a few.

I don't think he's as 'unproven' as many seem to think. The season before Vilanova took over, he started in 38 games, and came on as a sub in 16. He played significantly more football than Cleverley has this season, as a 20/21 year old. And he was very impressive in those performances, such that everyone expected him to get even more game time next season and basically establish himself as a regular.

That hasn't happened because Vilanova has clearly made the decision to actively opt for Fabregas over him.

Getting that many games in that midfield is the equivalent of a young striker getting that many games at United despite having to fit in alongside/instead of Rooney, RVP and Hernandez.

People talk about not knowing enough about him to say whether he's any good. But the person on here who has seen the most of him, and thus knows the most about him, says this:

He's absolutely good enough. If there were no Leo, he'd be Ballon D'Or material. I believe that.

I reckon he's easily worth £20mil, in this market.

I don't think it's a question of him being 'unproven' or 'good enough', there's potential there for everyone to see.

Just taking it all with a pinch of salt with Barcelona apparently so eager to offload him. Especially when you consider there'll be plenty of rebuilding in their team in the coming years.

How likely are we to buy a player who is "ready" for the PL though? Or at least one of the quality we're looking for? We've been going for "young and talented" players for a while, Thiago for 21m could hardly work out worse than the Anderson deal could it? We also spent how much on Rooney? Plus we were in for Lucas Moura last summer for a ridiculous amount as well. 21m really isn't a lot these days.

Whatever about Powell, Cleverly isn't good enough to be one of our 1st choice midfielders and I seriously doubt he ever will be. Thiago is much, much more talented (at least from the games I've seen him in).

I don't think it's a question of him being 'unproven' or 'good enough', there's potential there for everyone to see.

Just taking it all with a pinch of salt with Barcelona apparently so eager to offload him. Especially when you consider there'll be plenty of rebuilding in their team in the coming years.

Well you have to remember that their eagerness to offload him is completely unverified. That's probably just media bollocks. The only solid quotes from anyone that we've had on the situation are the seemingly regular ones from his dad moaning that he doesn't play enough under Vilanova and wants to move.

What is verified is what you can see on the pitch if you watch him - and what FCBarca (and various others) saw on the pitch 52 times in the 2011-12 season. That, for me, counts for more than rumours that Barca might want to sell him.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Fabregas, Modric or possibly Gundogan over him. But he'd definitely be fourth on the list. I think he'd be more of an 'answer' to our midfield problems (if any one player could be such a thing) than you say.

Also, I think it's pretty well known that we've enquired about Thiago twice in the last four or so years. If he becomes available we'll definitely be interested I think, especially at that price.

I honestly think he's at the top of the CM list at his age, even better than Gundogan and Verratti (but he is 2 years younger). I thought he looked brilliatn last year whenever he got an opportunity, and even better this. If he were to come available, I say we do all we can to get him. If we do though, none of this buy back crap that some teams put in their contracts, he should become a solid CM now, getting 50+ games a season and a permanent CM spot. I can really see him do well here, he's got a lot in his locker, and his awareness is world class at his age. It's hard not to want a product of Barca either, they're producing top talent every year at the moment.

We're getting ripped off if its true there getting Neymar for €27m. They best drop that price tag.

Have you ever considered being a professional scout? Sounds like you'd be perfect.

I'd love to work within the game at any capacity, but I wouldn't have a clue where/how to start. I'll stick to the internet I guess.

I'd be delighted if we picked him up. Very dubious it will happen though.

I doubt we will. I can see him at a top club being a top player and us being top disappointed we didn't got for him though.

Well you have to remember that their eagerness to offload him is completely unverified. That's probably just media bollocks. The only solid quotes from anyone that we've had on the situation are the seemingly regular ones from his dad moaning that he doesn't play enough under Vilanova and wants to move.

What is verified is what you can see on the pitch if you watch him - and what FCBarca (and various others) saw on the pitch 52 times in the 2011-12 season. That, for me, counts for more than rumours that Barca might want to sell him.

It's true, under Rosell, it's been virtually impossible to gauge what the club is doing in the transfer market. The local papers rarely published rubbish under Laporta and I believe that was by design/directive. Now? Get the impression that muppetry has returned and that too perhaps is by design.

Just seems absurd to me that the club would allow the local papers to publish a player of Thiago's caliber being on the market, would never have happened under Joan. We'll see

I'd be surprised is the rumours are true of Barca putting him up for sale, if they are then that would put and end to the Fabregas talk as I am certain they wouldn't sell both.

I would be happy to us to take either Fabregas or Thiago if Barca choose to offload one of them this summer.

And whats the guarantee that even if we do get this lad, that he wont be tempted to go back? De Gea is different. Thiago is in the Barca 1st team. Lets say Xavi retires in three years. They will invariably come snooping around to replace him. I think they see Thiago as an heir to Xavi since they are the ones who play similar positions and Fabregas plays a little ahead of them.

I think they see Thiago as an heir to Xavi since they are the ones who play similar positions and Fabregas plays a little ahead of them.

They don't see it that way, media likes to plug this player in for that one. Neither Cesc nor Thiago are Xavi heirs - they are simply different attacking midfielders that understand (More or less in Fab's case) the playing philosophy of the club. Anything more in terms of clones is overly simplistic

By Xavi's heir, I think he means that a player who will succeed him in the team, not that he is the same type of player as Xavi.

At least whenever I see those two on the field at the same time, its always Cesc who is a more attacking role ahead of Thiago hence I thought Thiago was the more apparent replacement.

Today's papers seem to be heavily linking him to City although since SAF announced his retirement we've only really been linked with Cristiano Ronaldo and Everton players.

Maybe the media can't second guess what Moyes with money might do, or are unsure whether SAFs transfer targets will be persevered with. Would be nice to be in for Thiago though. SAF apparently liked him and I think we need a CM regardless of what happens with possible departures.

At least whenever I see those two on the field at the same time, its always Cesc who is a more attacking role ahead of Thiago hence I thought Thiago was the more apparent replacement.

No, this is a common tactic the club uses with cantera players. They are constantly moved around the pitch to see how best to use them and have as many skilled players on the pitch at the same time. It varies but Thiago has played deeper this season than last and, frankly, looks worse there. But not as bad as Cesc which is why Cesc plays more forward.

Thiago is an attacking mid who needs to be playing further up the pitch

I have always thought he plays like combination of Ronaldinho and Xavi. So if chance present, sign him Fergie! (.....Moyes I mean)

We don't sign mudfielders and if we do they will be from Everton. Its strikers, wingers, defenders.

And whats the guarantee that even if we do get this lad, that he wont be tempted to go back? De Gea is different. Thiago is in the Barca 1st team. Lets say Xavi retires in three years. They will invariably come snooping around to replace him. I think they see Thiago as an heir to Xavi since they are the ones who play similar positions and Fabregas plays a little ahead of them.

We're talking about the Barca academy here. Chances are in three years there will be a new 'new Xavi' coming from within their ranks.

Is there a reason why Barca would look to sell Thiago or Cesc? Their squad isn't really that big, and they are both very good players.

In Thiago's case we are entering a World Cup season and he may look to find regular football in order to secure a place in Spain's squad next summer.

In Thiago's case we are entering a World Cup season and he may look to find regular football in order to secure a place in Spain's squad next summer.

Explains why he wants a move but doesn't explain why Barca want to sell though, unless they are purely doing it to advance his career.

There's no chance that Del Bosque will disrupt the rhythm of the Roja midfield with the inclusion of Thiago regardless of what happens this coming season or where he plays - unless there's an injury. Of course, I think he should've been playing more already but it is what it is, Del Bosque is a bit old school that way

@FCBarca, do you reckon there will be any movement in your midfield in terms of transfers? Are Thiago or Fabregas really that likely to move?

There's no chance that Del Bosque will disrupt the rhythm of the Roja midfield with the inclusion of Thiago regardless of what happens this coming season or where he plays - unless there's an injury. Of course, I think he should've been playing more already but it is what it is, Del Bosque is a bit old school that way

Do you really think he'll play with Alonso and Xavi in midfield next year? Hard to imagine they'll be fit enough for 7 games in 4 weeks. Not sure if Thiago is the solution, he could build the midfield around Fabregas, Busquets, Martinez, Iniesta. But surely he has to change something?

Do you really think he'll play with Alonso and Xavi in midfield next year? Hard to imagine they'll be fit enough for 7 games in 4 weeks. Not sure if Thiago is the solution, he could build the midfield around Fabregas, Busquets, Martinez, Iniesta. But surely he has to change something?

Santi has started plenty of games for them over the years, and I imagine they would be next in line before Thiago.

Benat is another option they have used, but I think Santi would be next in.

Status
Not open for further replies.