Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently those are all authentic quotes. I'm surprised, though, by this:

“Isn’t it great that the club says, ‘There’s no budget here, you go get who you want to get, just go and do it’".

Wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the journalists said that, and it's been 'accidentally' reported as Moyes' words.

The unlimited funds thing is clearly bollocks, but i think we just have to wait til 31st August and see who he signs. Patience!

unsurprising we didn't get him if he wasn't a priority. Pep made him top priority. Why would we want a potentially world class centre midfielder for a bargain anyway ffs?

Disappointing. Sounds like a standard United line when we're rejected by a player. You don't insult someone by saying he's not a priority if you're still hoping to sign him.

Thiagoff.

Disappointing. Sounds like a standard United line when we're rejected by a player. You don't insult someone by saying he's not a priority if you're still hoping to sign him.

Thiagoff.

Maybe I'm in a bad mood but this answer don't Impresss me. Even a standard "no comment" had been better then downplay what it obvious for everybody. What a stupid answer to be straight forward.

It's not a quote, it's the reporter summarising the gist of it. He may be making it all up to begin with. Christ, I reckon half the caf thinks they would do a better job than Moyes themselves.

I say we have less than 1% chance getting him now. I am already generous and optimistic with this 1%.

On the other hand he will surely insist on 30 games clause in his contract, this will surely force some quality midfielders out from Bayern next summer. We shall keep monitor the situation closely.

He reckons him and a few other journos had lunch with Moyes when he told them that. Either it's true or Moyes said it to save face after losing out.

Irrelevant either way now, I just hope we have suitable CM alternatives as actual priorities. Baines was the first bid Moyes has made which shouldn't really be our priority.
Aaaargh missed the lunch with Moyes part.

Have we read the rest of this guys tweets on the meeting with Moyes? Some interesting stuff.

Apparently asked about Bale or Ronaldo, Moyes commented that he won't name names but he has lots of money to spend and will be looking at the very best players, he also said the midfield need strengthening and he's working on it.

“Isn’t it great that the club says, ‘There’s no budget here, you go get who you want to get, just go and do it’.
There's an article in the sun about the whole meeting.

I can't believe Moyes would say stuff like that to journalists.

Hi it's Man Utd, i'd like to offer £12m for Baines

club's thoughts, oh he's got loads of money, £18m please.

Have we read the rest of this guys tweets on the meeting with Moyes? Some interesting stuff.

Apparently asked about Bale or Ronaldo, Moyes commented that he won't name names but he has lots of money to spend and will be looking at the very best players, he also said the midfield need strengthening and he's working on it.

“Isn’t it great that the club says, ‘There’s no budget here, you go get who you want to get, just go and do it’.
There's an article in the sun about the whole meeting.

I'm normally quite optimistic, but these quotes seem far too convenient given the dismissive stance we've seen from Moyes in his press conferences.

We've missed out on the one player our fans were obsessing about, we don't appear to be genuinely linked with anyone apart from Baines, who most fans aren't too pleased about, fans are getting a tad anxious because usually we get at least one or two signings done early in the window (even if one takes a bit longer). Wenger and Mou have been gushing about Rooney non-stop, whilst everyone knows City's targets.

I just see those quotes as a non-committal way of appeasing the fans. Funny how Woodward has come out saying pretty much the same thing when he was anonymous before, and Moyes is so open all on a sudden when he was giving it the "I never said we were in for him" line previously.

Can't see us bidding for Bale or Cristiano tbh. What would have stopped us doing it already? I can believe the two midfielders thing, but seeing as Thiago at a mere €18m wasn't a priority, Strootman's seemingly off to Roma for less than €20m, van Ginkel went to Chelsea for £15m, who exactly is our priority? We've only bid for Baines so far when the LB spot is far from a priority.

A bit more transparency from Moyes wouldn't go amiss imo. I'm not suggesting he should spill all our transfer plans but rather than tell journos these things, why not tell the fans in his press conferences? It's going to take a while to build up the trust we had in Fergie (who when we lost out on Hazard we knew the Kagawa deal was being thrashed out in the background for example) so a bit more transparency and reassurance initially wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thiagoff.

Is it our standard response though?

This was Fergie's response to missing out on Hazard last year (and he was a muppet target like Thiago imo):

"I see some values on players, like Hazard for instance. To me it was a lot of money. He's a good player, but £34m?

"In the Hazard deal, Chelsea paid the agent £6m. The (Samir) Nasri situation was the same."What we're finding anyway, the climate for buying these top players - not just the transfer fees, the salaries, agents' fees - is just getting ridiculous now.
"It's all about what you think is value for a player. I am not envious of those deals at all. We placed a value on Hazard which was well below what they were talking about.
"So if it doesn't work, well we're not worried about that. We think we've got good value in (Shinji) Kagawa."

Not "I never said we were in for him" or "he wasn't a priority".

On the other hand he will surely insist on 30 games clause in his contract, this will surely force some quality midfielders out from Bayern next summer. We shall keep monitor the situation closely.

I've always wanted us to buy Schweinsteiger.
However, I often hear him dismissed on here, and not just as unobtainable.
So I'm hoping Pep doesn't rate him :lol:

I hope all ze Germans get uber-pissed when ze Spaniard comes in and a Treble-winning formula goes kaputt to fit his toy in.

Marca talking about us rejecting the idea of a play-or-release clause and how Pep finally convinced Thiago that despite being a treble winning team with plenty of midfield options they had room for a player as special as him.
http://www.marca.com/blogs/futbolitis/2013/07/13/thiago-un-bailarin-para-pep.html

In the end it sounds like he went with a promise from someone he knew.

I wasn't sure where I stood on the playing time clause debate but reading that is quite annoying. It's acknowledged that we were in pole position but the clause was the sticking point. Theoretically it could have been wrapped up well before Pep came and stuck his beak in. If Thiago was Moyes' priority I'm sure we would have met the clause since the worst that could have happened is us getting our money back if he isn't good enough for us, which is absurd since we have no Xavi or Iniesta in our midfield to keep him out. I genuinely think we should have pushed the boat out for him.

What's Thiago's stats in FM?

He must have a ridiculously low teamwork or positioning that got caught by Moyes' filter.

You might want to delete that first hashtag GledTheRed or you'll probably get thread banned.

I know is pointless thinking about it but if things had gone our way a little we could have had Thiago and Pogba now for our midfield....easily 2 of the best young midfielders in world football. I know it's fecking pointless thinking this way but still how good would that have been.

I know is pointless thinking about it now but if things had gone our way a little we could have had Thiago and Pogba now for our midfield....easily 2 of the best young midfielders in world football. I know it's fecking pointless thinking this way but still how good would that have been.

Don't do it to yourself mate.

I know is pointless thinking about it but if things had gone our way a little we could have had Thiago and Pogba now for our midfield....easily 2 of the best young midfielders in world football. I know it's fecking pointless thinking this way but still how good would that have been.

I still can't get over the Pogba departure. Heads gone!

feck Messi who needs him we got Ashley Young. It's all about the midfield!

Well, if we missed out on Thiago because we didn't really want him that much then I'd be very disappointed. It's not certain how he'd do in Premier League, he's still a youngster after all but given the price and his level of talent it's virtually impossible to come across another bargain like that, not to mention he's possubly the best available midfielder this Summer.

I reckon it isn't that though. We were probably rejected by him after showing interest initially.

Why was Thiago not top priority? Of all the players who seem to be available in that position, at that age, that price and current level of ability it seems madness he wasn't.

Why was Thiago not top priority? Of all the players who seem to be available in that position, at that age, that price and current level of ability it seems madness he wasn't.

Now that it's widely accepted that he is going to Bayern Munich what good would it have done to say he was our top priority but he didn't want to come here?

He was having lunch at the time, so maybe his mouth was still full whilst talking to the waitress and Wyett misunderstood Moyes' answer to "I hope you enjoyed your meal. Would you interested in anything else? Maybe some thai green curry?"

Whenever we don't get a player all of a sudden he was not a top priority. Who are the top priorities???

Whenever we don't get a player all of a sudden he was not a top priority. Who are the top priorities???

Crazy theory but maybe the club don't like to scream who our targets are from the roof tops.

Nah, you're right, it's a wild theory. It's far more likely that the club are just sat round scratching their hole forgetting that they only have a limited window to sign someone in.

Crazy theory but maybe the club don't like to scream who our targets are from the roof tops.

Nah, you're right, it's a wild theory. It's far more likely that the club are just sat round scratching their hole forgetting that they only have a limited window to sign someone in.

Come on Eyepopper, we don't need anymore whacky theories in here. We've lost enough good men to muppet suicide as it is, you don't want to give them more heart ache.

Let's just put a little faith in the manager people.

If Thiago joins Bayern it will be because of Guardiola, a manager that he has worked with, trusts and obviously has a lot of respect for.

Status
Not open for further replies.