Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
No that doesn't change anything.

He apparently already told the Bayern board that he wants Thiago 3 weeks ago so it's save to say that they are also negitiating with him for a few weeks now, just like we do but so far Thiago has made no decision if he goes to Bayern, United or stays at Barca.

Nothing is decided yet or else there would be some official statement out.

But of course it's the usual doom and gloom going around here once we know that another big club is in for a player we want.

Aye, fair enough.

I just read a good comment on Twitter - maybe this is a sign of desperation from Pep?

Not going to lie though, if we do miss out, I'll be exceptionally pissed off. Our midfield is a total blindspot.

If Pep is willing to talk openly about a former player and his brothers client then he must be confident of signing him.
Let's wait and see but at this point id say it's almost certain he's off to Bayern.

So cant Moyes come and out and say I want thiago, I hate this secrecy bollocks.

It isn't how we work or have ever worked as a club. I quite like it myself. It shows dignity and respect for existing agreements. Fergie didn't do it and Moyes seemingly won't do it.

Both United and Bayern have been in it for weeks. United, cause of the reports and Pep cause of his admission.
Now if that is the case, Pep's revelation can be a last ditch desperate attempt to get Thiago, that means that we are still leading in the race to get Thiago. Yayyyy!!
This is still worse than having him signed already. But if we were never sure despite the reports about him signing for us, why should we give in already!!
ThiagON

If Pep is willing to talk openly about a former player and his brothers client then he must be confident of signing him.
Let's wait and see but at this point id say it's almost certain he's off to Bayern.

Disagree. If he was confident of signing him what would be the point in saying anything in public?

If we knew we were signing Baines why would Moyes need to come out in public and say "I really want Baines" ? He wouldn't. Unless he wanted to deliberately piss off his old fans. But to do that for a player who was coming anyway would be pointless.

It isn't how we work or have ever worked as a club. I quite like it myself. It shows dignity and respect for existing agreements. Fergie didn't do it and Moyes seemingly won't do it.
I believe English clubs generally are better than the attention seeking, circus-like spanish clubs(the two of them). Pep is still more Barca than Bayern, so its hard to expect class from him when we are talking about transfers.

What nonsense claims have I made this time?

If we were never in for him then its our fault.

If we've been in for him and we lose out there has to be some fault on our end.

None of us know anything so most posts are made are mostly speculation and opinions. Sorry that bothers you on a message board

Go read your post again. You didn't really speculate, all you did was place blame on Woodward like you were a party to the dealings.
If United were in for him and failed to get him because he moved to Bayern because of Guardiola who had spoken with him 3 weeks ago(just around the time the U-21 tourney ended and he was supposed to make his decision), how is that United's fault?

Personally I don't think Guardiola would have been so candid if he didn't know he had an agreement with the player. That looked to me like a little nudge to the club to get it sorted. Obviously that's all conjecture, though.

Not necessarily - Barca have always tapped up players. Pep is just doing that with Bayern. It's their style, but not our's. In any case, why would Pep need to use a press conference to convince his new paymasters? He could do it behind closed doors. What's more, if you have an agreement with a player, why would you draw attention to that, and potentially let someone nip in? Logic suggests that Pep is trying to flutter his eyelashes. Hope to God this is sorted from our perspective soon.

So cant Moyes come and out and say I want thiago, I hate this secrecy bollocks.

Well, IF the club has been in contact with him and his agent and Barcelona and IF there have been negotiations on a contract, then doesn't that say to Thiago that we want him? What would coming out in the press do? Surely if we are in for him, he KNOWS this already. Or are players really so dumb they do not think a club in insterested unless it is in the papers?

I doubt he'd publicly say all he want's is Thiago if he knew he didn't have a chance, he'd look like a right cnut if he signed for us tomorrow.

Thiago could still come, but it's looking very very unlikely.

The whole playing time thing: i think we'd have to be naive to think that Pep hasn't personally spoken to him and guaranteed him playing time, therefore no clause needed and more reason to go to Bayern.

How do we know that all of Bayern's midfield options fit into Pep's plans? He might be planning to offload one of them to make room? Maybe this is what he's said to Thiago? No one knows.

:lol::lol: Don't show Brigh he apparently doesn't mind if we get Thiago or not :nervous:

:rolleyes: Whatever makes you happy. I try not to get quite as invested in the whole thing as you. I just like to talk about football. Obviously I would have liked to see Thiago at United, but forgive me if I don't join you in this weird feverish 'everyone cares more than me' frenzy.

By the way, you know Brightonian means someone from Brighton, right? Shortening it to 'Brigh' doesn't really make sense.

:rolleyes: Whatever makes you happy. I try not to get quite as invested in the whole thing as you.

By the way, you know Brightonian means someone from Brighton, right? Shortening it to 'Brigh' doesn't really make sense.

sense? in this thread?

Thiago could still come, but it's looking very very unlikely.

The whole playing time thing: i think we'd have to be naive to think that Pep hasn't personally spoken to him and guaranteed him playing time, therefore no clause needed and more reason to go to Bayern.

How do we know that all of Bayern's midfield options fit into Pep's plans? He might be planning to offload one of them to make room? Maybe this is what he's said to Thiago? No one knows.

If Pep's looking to unload one, we should be in there like a shot.

That's not the point i was making.

People are annoyed that we seem to be genuinely interested in midfielders and then miss out. The transfer window still being open doesn't change that fact.

And the fact is that there are barely any more targets who are at the quality of Thiago. So who else do we go for if we miss out? That's what's making everyone anxious, that if we miss out there doesn't appear to be many more options, especially at the price we coulda got him for.

Yeees...but if there's only ONE about who will do, surely it can't speak that heavily against Ed n' Dave n' the boys if we don't get him? We declare our interest, tell him he'll bathe in dough and play 90 minutes every week - but he still wants to join up with baldy in Bavaria...not much even the best of negotiators can achieve, is there?

There are plenty of players about that would considerably improve our CM options. Anyone who is capable of filling in for Carrick would be an improvement. And we're getting Ronaldo back, remember? No need to panic at all.

Aye, fair enough.

I just read a good comment on Twitter - maybe this is a sign of desperation from Pep?

Not going to lie though, if we do miss out, I'll be exceptionally pissed off. Our midfield is a total blindspot.

I won't be happy either, especially because we so desperately need some real quality in midfield and for that price it would be really sad to miss out on him.

But at this stage there is nothing we can do but hope that we have enough to offer him that he will play for us this season.

Both United and Bayern have been in it for weeks. United, cause of the reports and Pep cause of his admission.
Now if that is the case, Pep's revelation can be a last ditch desperate attempt to get Thiago, that means that we are still leading in the race to get Thiago. Yayyyy!!
This is still worse than having him signed already. But if we were never sure despite the reports about him signing for us, why should we give in already!!
ThiagON

Stellar optimism. I hope You're right, my friend.

What purpose will it serve? If Thiago does indeed go to Bayern, its not because Guardiola said so in a press conference.

Well apparently according to some nutjob a few pages back. Guardiola publicly declaring his interest shows Alcantara who wants him more and could swing it in Bayern's favour :wenger:

Can't fault the club for this really. We've won plenty without signing anyone in that position so let's think of it as a tradition and move on because at this moment i can't think of any alternatives.

What funny clever Thiago GIFS have Bayern fans made? feck all.

Can't fault the club for this really. We've won plenty without signing anyone in that position so let's think of it as a tradition and move on because at this moment i can't think of any alternatives.
Well, no-one knows who's at fault if we don't get him, could be people higher up than Moyes.

However, i do agree that if he signs for Bayern in the next few days then it's pretty obvious he never really wanted to come to us and maybe saw us as his back up plan. In that situation no amount of persuading would have gotten him signed up once Bayern came in and made their interest public.

With good reason.

Why with good reason? It's normal that you don't get every transfer where more than one club is interested in a player.

Last season we tried to get two high profile talents for the wings which went to other clubs but we also got RvP ahead of City.

Every team has those deals they miss out on because some other club made a better offer.

I really see no reason to think that we have worse chances than any other of the big clubs to sign our preferred targets.

I still don't see this as all hope lost. European managers talk about other teams players all the time before deals are done so why would this be any different. Bayern makes no sense at all for Thiago unless he and his father have been full of shit all along about the motivation for a move.

Well apparently according to some nutjob a few pages back. Guardiola publicly declaring his interest shows Alcantara who wants him more and could swing it in Bayern's favour :wenger:

Moyes must give him blowjobs in secret now. That's the only way we can show more love to him.

Why with good reason? It's normal that you don't get every transfer where more than one club is interested in a player.

Last season we tried to get two high profile talents for the wings which went to other clubs but we also got RvP ahead of City.

Every team has those deals they miss out on because some other club made a better offer.

I really see no reason to think that we have worse chances than any other of the big clubs to sign our preferred targets.

We're fine signing players from within the English leagues, fairly horrific elsewhere.

I'm slightly confused, I've been thinking Bollinbroke and Woodward were the same person?

They're both Phelan, that's my theory. He wouldn't just vanish like that, he has morphed into a new, multi-headed creature whose exact purpose still remains unknown.

We need a SAF hairdryer treatment. For the United transfers negotiating team.

He'd be absolutely proud of Moyes continuing tradition of us refusing to sign a midfielder.

:rolleyes: Whatever makes you happy. I try not to get quite as invested in the whole thing as you. I just like to talk about football. Obviously I would have liked to see Thiago at United, but forgive me if I don't join you in this weird feverish 'everyone cares more than me' frenzy.

Coming from the guy with the most posts in the thread :lol:. The Thiago thread has been the best place to discuss football in recent weeks? You can't be serious, there are much better threads which aren't dictated by the words of Graham Hunter and the latest new on twitter. It has been ThiagoON/ThiagoNO ,what he has said or not said on twitter, everybody and their mother seemingly having the deduction skills of Sherlock Holmes suddenly. Weird place to come for rational football discussion but to each their own.

The Champions League draft is a better thread even NM's Barcalona thread brought up great debate and discussion. But no you see the best place to have a reasonable debate being a thread dedicated to whether or not we sign Thiago which if that didn't happen would be deemed irrelevant???

My first post was not directed at you and as you say you weren't here because of Thiago but to discuss and debate football. Let's try and do that.

ThiagON
Journalists kept asking about Thiago again and again because the news broke in Spain and went on to fill papers in England and Germany this morning. I doubt there's a big plan behind it all, he was just answering questions and at one point was pretty annoyed that he had to talk about Thiago. It's crazy what everyone is trying to read into a few translated sentences Guardiola said in hardly perfect german, a language he started to learn a few months ago.

Bayern are quickly becoming a pretty hated team regarding signing players they don't particularly need.

They're taking this whole building on strength concept a bit too literally. Competition in their midfield will be fierce and Thiago may find himself in virtually the same situation. But Pep wants him and he's gonna get him, whilst giving us a kick in the bollocks on the way. This transfer made too much sense. There was always gonna be a twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.