Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if already posted but a fairly good explanation of the else clause issue:
Warning, it's a long one

"I don’t get it! All we have to do is pay the stinking release clause and the player is ours right?!”That’s what you would think, however this is not the case in Spain. It’s not like Gotze’s transfer to Bayern where all the player had to do was activate the release clause and there’s no negotiations necessary.Before I start on my summary of release clauses in Spain, I would like to say I have only learned about them recently so I will not dive into the finer details. I would have to know the Spanish language in order to do that.So here’s what you need to know about release clauses in Spain.First of all, in Spain, La Liga players are obligated to have release clauses inserted into their contracts under Spanish law. As a result, clubs can arrange for a player’s release clause to be set quite high. In Thiago’s case, at the end of July his release clause rises to 90m euros

There is also another case to consider here. How release clauses are activated depends on whether or not a Spanish club comes in for the player.For instance, if Madrid meets Thiago’s buyout clause, if Thiago wishes to leave Barcelona for Madrid, Barcelona are forced to sign the release papers and Thiago now belongs to Madrid. Case closed. End of story. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work for foreign clubs. It’s much more complicated.Foreign clubs actually have to negotiate with the selling club. This doesn’t mean a non-Spanish club can’t activate the clause or the player can’t activate the buyout clause. It’s just not straightforward and here’s why.All the parties that are involved make the deal quite complicated.

Tax authorities and lawyers have to check and make sure the deal is compliant with FIFA and UEFA codes of conduct, Spanish and EU contract law and of course, Spanish tax laws. Only then can the deal move forward.Technically, if a non-Spanish club is going to obtain the release papers from the selling club, the money has to be provided by the player. It’s a breach of contract so the player is literally buying out his contract allowing him to leave.

The interpretation of the phrase “provided by” is vague and we saw this when Bayern Munich brought Javi Martinez from Bilbao. Bayern were given approval by Martinez to pay the money to the Spanish FA who act as intermediaries for these type of situations. The money was then given to Bilbao as compensation for losing Martinez. If Martinez had to pay for the clause himself, then he would be subject to income tax which could double the price.

Just to clarify, when the club meets the buyout clause, they can be subject to VAT(tax added onto the buyout clause) if it’s decided it should be applied. Who decides whether or not it’s applied I think falls at the discretion of the tax authorities. However, I don’t know with 100% certainty. In Bayern Munich’s case, the ruling was that they didn’t have to pay VAT because no services or goods were being exchanged. Some disagree with the decision and think that a VAT should been applied.

I guess in Manchester United’s case, we have to pay the VAT. Another clarification is that since Bayern Munich paid the release clause with Martinez’s permission instead of on his behalf, they did not have to pay the income tax.

What you may find surprising is that Spanish clubs usually do not exploit the buyout clause of other Spanish clubs. They choose not to because it hinders relations with the other club. You wouldn’t want the very same club coming back sometime later and taking one of your players by simply meeting the release clause. So instead, clubs usually choose to agree on a fee and carry on from there.

So here’s the million dollar question, what does this mean for Manchester United & Thiago? Here are a few scenarios:A) Thiago buys out his contract, MUFC pays release fee on his behalf and is now subject to income tax. (Total fee: up to 40mB) MUFC triggers the buyout clause and most likely subject to VAT. (Total fee: up to 25m euros due to parties involved)C) MUFC & Barca negotiate a fee to agree on. (Total fee: could be between 18-24m euros depending on negotiations)

We can essentially rule out scenario A as the deal could rise as high as 40m euros due to income tax. Scenario B is much more likely and if MUFC have gone along this route, we could be waiting for tax authorities and all relevant parties to sanction the deal. Also, there will be extra fees for the lawyers and tax officials involved. The agent will want his fair share too.If MUFC go with scenario C, it would be the most amicable way of going about the transfer.

The release clause fee would essentially be used as a starting price for the two clubs to negotiate. Reports have said Barca are stalling the deal and it could be alluding to these type of negotiations. However, we don’t know what’s going at the moment and since both clubs have said essentially nothing about the deal, it’s hard to tell.Manchester United is known for being quiet when it comes to negotiating deals. The deal could be very advanced and we are just waiting for everything to be finalized before announcing anything. We know that Thiago’s clause rises at the end of July and that he reports back to training on the 15th. So if any deal was going to happen, you’d imagine it would have to be soon.Thanks for reading.[\spoiler]

I have a question for some of you who are anxious about the Thiago transfer. If we do get him, does that give you more confidence about future deals? Or will you always be so skeptical?

Dracula can't you break the post into paragraphs? Whatever you posted is practically unreadable.

Dracula, you've put too many paragraphs in that; can you please reduce the number of paragraphs?

He should also reduce the length of the paragraphs.

Dracula can you just summarise that whole post into one paragraph please.

I have a question for some of you who are anxious about the Thiago transfer. If we do get him, does that give you more confidence about future deals? Or will you always be so skeptical?

Each negotiation is its own beast and I don't think whatever happens with Thiago has any bearing on the next deal down the road. This one is a fairly unique set of circumstances -- a young Spanish midfielder, a release clause, Fergie not at the helm and so on -- that are confined to this one situation.

What does get under my skin is that we've been in midfielders before, particularly Sneijder and Hazard, and both went tits up. Before that we landed Hargreaves and Anderson and they went tits up too. Before them, Veron, who had the abilit but we all know what happened. With the exception of Carrick, I'm having a hard time recalling the last top quality central midfielder we've picked up in the transfer market and played at a high level for more than one season. (And no, I wouldn't include Park as a top quality midfielder, however industrious he was.) Is it possible that the last one was Roy Keane? If so, that's pretty scary.

Last week seemed to have a feverish amount of twitter accounts saying this signing was imminent and it genuinely felt ON.

Now? It's bloody anyone's guess.

Each negotiation is its own beast and I don't think whatever happens with Thiago has any bearing on the next deal down the road. This one is a fairly unique set of circumstances -- a young Spanish midfielder, a release clause, Fergie not at the helm and so on -- that are confined to this one situation.

What does get under my skin is that we've been in midfielders before, particularly Sneijder and Hazard, and both went tits up. Before that we landed Hargreaves and Anderson and they went tits up too. Before them, Veron, who had the abilit but we all know what happened. With the exception of Carrick, I'm having a hard time recalling the last top quality central midfielder we've picked up in the transfer market and played at a high level for more than one season. (And no, I wouldn't include Park as a top quality midfielder, however industrious he was.) Is it possible that the last one was Roy Keane? If so, that's pretty scary.

More fool you.

And if you count Sneijder and Hazard as midfielders, you might as well count Kagawa. In terms of CMs, though, I'd agree it's basically just Carrick and Park. The fact that we had Scholes that whole time, and brought through Fletcher, is something of a mitigating factor.

Am I correct when I say that we won't do anything now until we are back in England? Have we ever signed a player whilst on tour?

Am I correct when I say that we won't do anything now until we are back in England? Have we ever signed a player whilst on tour?
I wouldn't worry about that at all. The people that do this deal are all agents and lawyers and execs. They will agree the deal then thiago well just sign in front of cameras with wood wood or they will just fly him out for the cameras

I don't get this tax thing, surely united are vat registered and if so they can reclaim any vat they have to pay related to his release clause, if its even there?

I don't get this tax thing, surely united are vat registered and if so they can reclaim any vat they have to pay related to his release clause, if its even there?

That's kind of the point.

United pay Barca 18m inc the vat then they pay 18m and claim back what ever the tax is leaving the actual payment much less than 18m.

United pay Barca 18m + the tax they claim the tax back but have still forked out 18m directly to Barca.

More fool you.

And if you count Sneijder and Hazard as midfielders, you might as well count Kagawa. In terms of CMs, though, I'd agree it's basically just Carrick and Park. The fact that we had Scholes that whole time, and brought through Fletcher, is something of a mitigating factor.

I thought I was the only one here on the caf who considered Kagawa as a midfielder, so I just went along with the crowd and stipulated he was a forward.

As I see the squad going into 13/14, I look at Kagawa as potentially being able to serve as that attacking midfielder we all agree is a current weakness in the squad. So as much as I'd love to see Thiago brought on for depth I'm not in the camp that says we absolutely must bring him in. And if Thiago is the next Scholes, what a fantastic bonus! But maybe Kagawa really is a forward and that he's going to compete with Rooney for minutes. What I don't see is Kagawa serving as a super sub either for Rooney or for Alcantara, but who knows?

In any event, I think we're all struggling with the reality that it's been ridiculously difficult to bring in midfielders over the years who've proven to be worthy of their peers at other top clubs.

I thought I was the only one here on the caf who considered Kagawa as a midfielder, so I just went along with the crowd and stipulated he was a forward.

As I see the squad going into 13/14, I look at Kagawa as potentially being able to serve as that attacking midfielder we all agree is a current weakness in the squad. So as much as I'd love to see Thiago brought on for depth I'm not in the camp that says we absolutely must bring him in. And if Thiago is the next Scholes, what a fantastic bonus! But maybe Kagawa really is a forward and that he's going to compete with Rooney for minutes. What I don't see is Kagawa serving as a super sub either for Rooney or for Alcantara, but who knows?

In any event, I think we're all struggling with the reality that it's been ridiculously difficult to bring in midfielders over the years who've proven to be worthy of their peers at other top clubs.

Even with Kagawa there we are still really light on cover should something happen to him or Carrick long term.

He's a #10. Sometimes you could consider him an attacking midfielder, sometimes more of a forward. He's certainly at his best playing as far forward as possible. But he's in the same rough category and Sneijder and Hazard - none of the three of them are CMs, like the rest of the names you mentioned. Basically, if you include Sneijder and Hazard then there are other United players you need to be including.

Kagawa, by my above definition, would definitely not be in competition with Thiago, who is best played as the more attacking of the CM pair (in a 4231), next to someone like Carrick.

I, too, think we've struggled to bring in CMs, but I consider it a more recent phenomenon than you do. And I don't count Sneijder and Hazard as part of the trend, because they're not CMs and wouldn't have played in the position where we're weak (they'd have been competing with the likes of Rooney, Kagawa and Nani). Also, I never wanted us to sign Sneijder anyway, and I'm pretty pleased we didn't.

Some are actually stupid enough on Twitter (Marcelo Lopez) to suggest that he's already put pen to paper and is now on holiday with United's permission.

These people have no shame!

That's kind of the point.

United pay Barca 18m inc the vat then they pay 18m and claim back what ever the tax is leaving the actual payment much less than 18m.

United pay Barca 18m + the tax they claim the tax back but have still forked out 18m directly to Barca.

Oh right, so the issue is whether 18m is the gross or net amount. Personally don't see why that's such a big deal, max we actually would pay is 18m as if that's the net figure the remainder is recoverable anyway and for a top young midfielder that's a good price, certainly one you wouldn't think they'd squabble over.

Even with Kagawa there we are still really light on cover should something happen to him or Carrick long term.

Don't get me wrong...I've got my jizz ready to blow if we land Thiago. I guess all I'm saying is that we've got a very talented footballer in Kagawa who may find himself warming a lot of benches if we do bring in the brilliant young Spanish midfielder and proves himself to be a sensation on Day One. Unless, of course, we sell Rooney.

He's a #10. Sometimes you could consider him an attacking midfielder, sometimes more of a forward. He's certainly at his best playing as far forward as possible. But he's in the same rough category and Sneijder and Hazard - none of the three of them are CMs, like the rest of the names you mentioned. Basically, if you include Sneijder and Hazard then there are other United players you need to be including.

Kagawa, by my above definition, would definitely not be in competition with Thiago, who is best played as the more attacking of the CM pair (in a 4231), next to someone like Carrick.

I, too, think we've struggled to bring in CMs, but I consider it a more recent phenomenon than you do. And I don't count Sneijder and Hazard as part of the trend, because they're not CMs and wouldn't have played in the position where we're weak (they'd have been competing with the likes of Rooney, Kagawa and Nani). Also, I never wanted us to sign Sneijder anyway, and I'm pretty pleased we didn't.

I wouldn't rule out Kagawa as a traditional attacking midfielder, at least as a role he could grow into. Yes, he's particularly effective in the last third but he looks very, very comfortable with the ball everywhere on the pitch. But there's still the issue of what exactly Moyes would do with Kagawa if he had both a happy Rooney and a newly acquired Alcantara in his quiver.

Just read through Dracula's edited post. Makes for a decent read but I think some of our members have already covered this issue and much more extensively (i.e. jojojo).

Status
Not open for further replies.