Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Thiago is only an attacking midfielder, I don't see anything wrong with acquiring a potentially world-class player for a price of well under 20 million.

Even if Thiago is only an attacking midfielder, I don't see anything wrong with acquiring a potentially world-class player for a price of well under 20 million.

No question there, I've said the same thing. It's too good an opportunity to pass up despite him possibly not being suited to partnering just Carrick.

Also, even though Carrick-Thiago is pretty weak defensively against pretty much every game at home and a fair number of away games it should be enough..

But in those games against strong midfields, such as City or Spurs then I think someone like Fellaini would be far more suited - even though he is undeniably less talented.

No question there, I've said the same thing. It's too good an opportunity to pass up despite him possibly not being suited to partnering just Carrick.

Also, even though Carrick-Thiago is pretty weak defensively against pretty much every game at home and a fair number of away games it should be enough..

But in those games against strong midfields, such as City or Spurs then I think someone like Fellaini would be far more suited - even though he is undeniably less talented.

Even having Jones in CM proved adequate enough as proved in many big games this season.

Whether Moyes sees it hte same or differently is the question.

Even having Jones in CM proved adequate enough as proved in many big games this season.

Whether Moyes sees it hte same or differently is the question.

What do you mean, we should keep using him there?

Jones is great defensively, but most people hate him in CM due to how he is in possession. Literally whenever it happens you get people bitching about it.

I think he could be great there myself and last year some of his best performances were in CM, Villa and QPR away especially. But he's not fully developed in that position yet and the vast majority just want him to play as a centre back

I think if we sign anyone other than Fellaini, Wanyama or Strootman type midfielder, to play next to Carrick, people are always going to complain about that player being weak defensively. Verratti, Thiago, Fabregas etc. are all playmakers and have played in CM before and they know what to do defensively. So I dont think we will particularly be weak even against the big teams. And worst comes to worst, we can always play Jones to be more defensive. If we sign a defensive mid, then people are going to say "Oh he is not a playmaker" and if we sign a playmaker they are going to say "Oh he is short or not good defensively".

What do you mean, we should keep using him there?

Jones is great defensively, but most people hate him in CM due to how he is in possession. Literally whenever it happens you get people bitching about it.

I think he could be great there myself and last year some of his best performances were in CM, Villa and QPR away especially. But he's not fully developed in that position yet and the vast majority just want him to play as a centre back

Nope, ideally, we should not use Jones there.

My point (which I think was badly articulated) was emphazing Pexbo's that having better footballers is sometimes better than having a 'solid' base or a formation that looks good on paper.

Even though Jones in CM appears to not fit in, he did a pretty good job. Welbeck on left wing did a great job etc. Basically my point is people fretting about players not playing in the right positions to the nth degree are kind of overcomplicating things.

Called up for the U21 squad. It's a helluva squad they are taking

ATHLETIC CLUB: Iker Muniain Goñi

CLUB ATLETICO MADRID SAD: Jorge Resurrección Merodio "Koke"

FC BARCELONA: Torralbo Martin Montoya, Marc Bartra Aregall, Cristian Tello Herrera, Marc Muniesa Martínez and Thiago Alcantara do Nascimento

BAYER 04 LEVERKUSEN: Daniel Carvajal Ramos

Benfica FC: Rodrigo Moreno Machado

Getafe CF SAD: Pablo Sarabia Garcia and Alvaro Vazquez Garcia

REAL MADRID CF: Jose I. Fernández Iglesias "Nacho" Martín and Alvaro Morata

MALAGA CF SAD: Ignacio Camacho and Francisco Román Alarcón Barnola "Isco"

MANCHESTER UNITED FC: David de Gea Quintana

SEVILLA FC SAD: Alberto Moreno Pérez

SAD REAL FOOTBALL COMPANY: Asier Illarramendi and Iñigo Martínez Andonegui

VALENCIA CF SAD: Sergio Canales Madrazo

VILLARREAL CF SAD: Diego Mariño Villar

WIGAN ATHLETIC FC: Joel Robles Blázquez

REAL ZARAGOZA SAD: Alvaro Gonzalez Soberon

So, if he's to move it probably won't be 'til the latter part of the transfer window. And if he has an excellent tournament, his price will go up. Unless the buyout clause is true, in which case it doesn't matter.

There's a summer U21 tournament, isn't there? If Barca are willing to sell which if reports are to be believed, they are, then we'd do well to wrap up the deal early. Tournaments and price hikes.

Confirms this is more than a rouse. Xavi commenting on the transfer speculation on Thiago:

"Thiago is a special player, not for the future, but for the present. Understand that I want the best for him, he doesn't have the continuity he wants, it also happened to me. I would say be patient, here at the club he has all the qualities to succeed. To stay or go is up to him, and what he wants but he is destined to triumph at Barcelona should he stay. There are many players with very good qualities & competitive, it happened to me as well."

Why isn't De Gea in Spain's first team yet? Surely he should be getting called up to the confed cup and not the u21's.

Why isn't De Gea in Spain's first team yet? Surely he should be getting called up to the confed cup and not the u21's.

I've commented on this in the past, not sure why this remains a surprise. Unless an injury happens ahead of the WC, it'll be Iker, Valdes & Reina - period. Just the way it is, Del Bosque is old school and he trusts the chemistry & quality of his squad. He'll add only those who will make an impact and at this point, I can only see a few players possibly making it into the squad - Isco & Tello, for example.

We need somebody in midfield who is going to link the midfield and attack and play further forward then Carrick that should be our main priority when looking for the type of midfielder we want. In an ideal world somebody in the Vidal, Marchision, Yaya Toure mould. All action box to box with enough quality to make things happen when he has the ball at his feet. I can't think of many young players available in that mould.

What we would get in Thiago is a gifted young midfielder he is a centre mid for me. He has all that is needed to play that role. He is not as attack minded as Isco, Gotze, Oscar or even Kagawa he play deeper than them. He is a natural cm, I don't know what about his game that screams am other than the fact that he is skillful. He is already conscious of his job defensively and does not over commit when going forward. There is a reason Barca don't want to lose him.

Confirms this is more than a rouse. Xavi commenting on the transfer speculation on Thiago:

I read that Xavi was close to joining us in the early 2000s when he was mismanaged by Barca managers and grew frustrated. He chose to stay because he loved Barca obviously.

The bastard better not convince Thiago to not come to us.

I read that Xavi was close to joining us in the early 2000s when he was mismanaged by Barca managers and grew frustrated. He chose to stay because he loved Barca obviously.

Imagine that, Xavi, Scholes and Keane in a 3 man midfield :drool:

I've commented on this in the past, not sure why this remains a surprise. Unless an injury happens ahead of the WC, it'll be Iker, Valdes & Reina - period. Just the way it is, Del Bosque is old school and he trusts the chemistry & quality of his squad. He'll add only those who will make an impact and at this point, I can only see a few players possibly making it into the squad - Isco & Tello, for example.

Well considering how shite Reina has been these past few years, Casillas has had a rather poor few years and Valdes has been nothing more then decent, it's a bit ridiculous keeping De Gea in the u21's despite having a much better year than any of them, and being better overall than all but Casillas. If Del Bosque is going to stick with the same squad year after year, with very little changes, they'll have quite a hard time to adapt to when their players start to decline in a few years.

Casillas should stay as Spain's number one, to suggest anything else is madness now that Mourinho is going and he will be back starting day in day out for Madrid.

But to have either Valdes or, god forbid, Reina ahead of De Gea is idiocy. Reina has been one of the worst keepers in the Premier League this season.

Xavi's second team are Manchester United. He adores English football. If anything he will convince him to join us should Thiago leave.

I will add that reading any interview with Xavi is very worthwhile. He is a total student of the game and one of the most articulate on the game and insightful footballers that I have heard/read.

Yep, dark times in terms of Barcelona management - Gaspart in particular. Around the same time Cesc was poached and there was a real fear that everything they had done to be cantera based was unraveling. Pep reemphasized promoting from within and a big reason why he likely was never going to stay long with Rosell in charge. Putting a high profile 1st team player who was formed in the cantera on the cover of your local paper to sell is unheard of - not in a decade have I seen something like that.

Glad Xavi stepped up to try and influence the player but it really should've never come to this point (I'd blame Tito as well)

I will add that reading any interview with Xavi is very worthwhile. He is a total student of the game and one of the most articulate on the game and insightful footballers that I have heard/read.

Cut from similar cloth as Pep, I think it's a lock that he will become a coach for the club, eventually

That's right, he said he had an offer to come here and was considering it as United was the club he supported in England, but Guardiola talked him out of it. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself with Thiago, he's the best midfielder we've been liked to in terms of quality v price tag. We always say we're looking for value in the market, this is it.

Well considering how shite Reina has been these past few years, Casillas has had a rather poor few years and Valdes has been nothing more then decent, it's a bit ridiculous keeping De Gea in the u21's despite having a much better year than any of them, and being better overall than all but Casillas. If Del Bosque is going to stick with the same squad year after year, with very little changes, they'll have quite a hard time to adapt to when their players start to decline in a few years.

Last bit on this, I swear.

Not to fear, De Gea is the future of La Roja, he has more than a decade ahead of him to lead the NT. Legends in Spain are not benched unless they make a dramatic drop in form and Del Bosque has no reason to mix up or change a formula that has given the success they've had for years now

Last bit on this, I swear.

Not to fear, De Gea is the future of La Roja, he has more than a decade ahead of him to lead the NT. Legends in Spain are not benched unless they make a dramatic drop in form and Del Bosque has no reason to mix up or change a formula that has given the success they've had for years now

Fair enough, it just seems like a similar ignorance to what England had before they finally gave in and started playing Joe Hart. (albeit with much inferior players like James, Green)

I actually agree with FCBARCA, to an extent.

Yep, dark times in terms of Barcelona management - Gaspart in particular. Around the same time Cesc was poached and there was a real fear that everything they had done to be cantera based was unraveling. Pep reemphasized promoting from within and a big reason why he likely was never going to stay long with Rosell in charge. Putting a high profile 1st team player who was formed in the cantera on the cover of your local paper to sell is unheard of - not in a decade have I seen something like that.

Is the relationship between Barca and MD really this concrete? Obviously I've heard a lot about how much influence Barca and Real have at MD & Sport and Marca respectively, but I didn't know it was so cut and dried that that headline represented Vilanova effectively putting Thiago up for sale. Thought it was all a bit more smoke and mirrors.

You have to understand how weird this is for a Brit, given that when our sports pages say something is going to happen it pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of it ever happening - the media knows feck all, and the clubs prefer it that way.

EDIT: On another note, if City get Thiago I will go full retard. Probably won't be jumping off any cliffs, but I may well deliberately fall out of bed. REALLY HARD. :(

EDIT: On another note, if City get Thiago I will go full retard. Probably won't be jumping off any cliffs, but I may well deliberately fall out of bed. REALLY HARD. :(

:lol: Brilliant.

In a serious note, you'd hope he'd have better advisors than that. Surely a Cantera lad would have a bit of philosophy instilled in him and the thought of playing for that circus of a club isn't appealing.

In a serious note, you'd hope he'd have better advisors than that. Surely a Cantera lad would have a bit of philosophy instilled in him and the thought of playing for that circus of a club isn't appealing.

You would think the likes of Xavi would be advising him to steer clear of somewhere like City, all depends on who he's listening to.

Yeah but... was project.

My instinct is to say that we've been going for great midfielders whilst our team has been excellent but with this perfect midfielder-shaped hole in the middle for ages and none of their advisors have been good enough to see how perfect an opportunity that is. But then I realised that we literally haven't gone for a single proper midfielder.

I know fans and players see these situations very differently, but I honestly can't imagine a more perfect opportunity for a midfielder of his age and ability. We have such a strong squad, but at the same time he'd be pretty much guaranteed a starting spot in the first XI next to Carrick, and a chance to become a genuine club legend as we move into a 'new era'. What on earth can any other club offer that trumps that?!

I think maybe it was 2007 man?

We were after Hargreaves & Senna was plan B..

It was around 2006 and it was for around 4-6 million if I remember correctly he would have been a good signing and given us more years than Hargreaves which is sad considering the age difference. Hargreaves would be beside Carrick if he had stayed fit. We have attempted to fill that hole but for some reason or another it keeps not working out. Bad luck.

Pretty sure I remember reading at the time that the Glazer's had wanted an English player signed rather than Senna. Hence Hargreaves signing. Probably bollocks, but it was one of the reasons stated in the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.