The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd be curious to know the anti-vaxxer rate in the at-risk segment. I think we're in a bit of a "no atheists in foxholes" moment, and I am curious to know if there are that many people 60+ who'd refuse the vaccine.

There’s two big factors to consider there. The first is that America is a relatively old and unhealthy nation. 53m people 65+ and an incredible 100m people at risk, according to CDC analysis. So just due to the sheer number of people it would be very unlikely that millions of the vaccine hesitant people don’t overlap with those groups. It’s also the case that vaccine hesitancy among the black population has been substantially higher for a long, long time for very legitimate reasons, and they also are more likely to have some of the health conditions putting them at risk.

The other thing is there has been a lot of data collected on the subject all saying essentially the same thing. Vaccine hesitancy has fallen as the likelihood of a highly effective vaccine has gone up, and people most at risk of the virus are most likely to take it. But there are still a substantial proportion of people in those groups that say they wouldn’t take it. Donald Trump so far seems to be the poster boy of that, and people will follow his lead, guaranteed. This is the best data on it:

https://www.pewresearch.org/science...n-research-and-development-process-increases/

It’s a pure trend from a properly random sample of the populations and a large sample size. The problem is the only data you can get on intent to do something comes from surveys, and self reported data on intent to do things is inherently unreliable. We are bad at predicting our choices in situations that still feel quite distant from us. But if you accept the general pattern rather than the specificity of the data, a good chunk of 65+ are not sure they will take the vaccine when offered.

How many does ordered for Oxford vaccine again? I assume that's the one that can be stored at fridge like temperatures?

Think a things stand that's the most realistic new year boost we can get.

How many does ordered for Oxford vaccine again? I assume that's the one that can be stored at fridge like temperatures?

Think a things stand that's the most realistic new year boost we can get.
I think it's around 100m. And they've been in mass production for a while, so roll out would be rapid.

This crisis could have been in its final stages if people had done as they were advised, as they did in Singapore. But all the snowflakes, nutters and conspiracy theory loons hijacked this and we are where we are. It’s not been taken seriously by too many people. I am in the ‘vulnerable’ category and have been bricking it since March. I know people that have had it and still suffer, fit as butchers dog people reduced to a wreck. I heard that all the vaccine at Macclesfield hospital was ruined when the freezers broke down and they didn’t have a back up freezer! The Zeneca vaccine should be available soon so roll on the New Year.

Reports today that Oxford one is going to be approved this week
It doesn’t fill me with a lot of optimism for our country. For the U.K. it makes sense as the population can be vaccinated quicker. India is too big to be targeting reduction in transmission by vaccinating a major percentage. The only thing it can help is reduce the probability of infection for the elderly by 62 percent. It’s something but in absolute terms the CFR is still too high for the elderly. Don’t feel like it helps us a lot unless more data is produced that shows the gains in CFR are bigger than 62 percent but I think they’re some way from getting significant data on that. The USA trial readouts in q1 should shed some light.

It doesn’t fill me with a lot of optimism for our country. For the U.K. it makes sense as the population can be vaccinated quicker. India is too big to be targeting reduction in transmission by vaccinating a major percentage. The only thing it can help is reduce the probability of infection for the elderly by 62 percent. It’s something but in absolute terms the CFR is still too high for the elderly. Don’t feel like it helps us a lot unless more data is produced that shows the gains in CFR are bigger than 62 percent but I think they’re some way from getting significant data on that. The USA trial readouts in q1 should shed some light.
62% is just the reduction in symptomatic infections. Someone can probably find the data, but I think that AZ, as well as the 2 mRNA vaccines, had 0 serious cases in their vaccine arms, and if that plays out during rollout, that'll be huge.

Are all of the approved vaccines ones that require two doses? And are there any in the works that only require one? Knowing the general public, there will likely be a large percentage who only get the first one.

Arcturus Therapeutics is developing a one dose vaccines. Think they are in phase 3 of testing, but not entirely sure

I've managed to convince 3 colleagues in the past few days to sign up for and get the vaccine.

Just goes to emphasise imo that being a general anti vaxxer is not the same as being a bit worried about the covid vaccine specifically and that people, including on here, should perhaps temper their approach slightly when discussing this topic.

Had my first jab yesterday and other than a very heavy arm, feeling fine (so far!).

Can't wait for the second one.

I've managed to convince 3 colleagues in the past few days to sign up for and get the vaccine.

Just goes to emphasise imo that being a general anti vaxxer is not the same as being a bit worried about the covid vaccine specifically and that people, including on here, should perhaps temper their approach slightly when discussing this topic.

Had my first jab yesterday and other than a very heavy arm, feeling fine (so far!).

Good man.
Strongly agree with this.
Going in all guns blazing against anyone who isn’t keen on taking the vaccine just entrenches things further.
Sadly there will always be a few who will never be convinced but getting accusatory never tends to help.

I wish I could get my mum vaccinated. She's only 68 so unlikely to happen in the next few months but 90% of my worrying would end immediately once she's jabbed.

I wish I could get my mum vaccinated. She's only 68 so unlikely to happen in the next few months but 90% of my worrying would end immediately once she's jabbed.

Take the dates with a pinch of salt, but this might give an broad indication of when your Mum could be vaccinated. A lot of water under the bridge to go though.

Good on you, bud

Good man.

I met a friend for the first-time in a few years recently. A career academic biologist with a primary publication list a mile long and she was not totally convinced that the vaccine hadn't been rushed. We discussed it and I gave her some of the best links from these threads and she is now all good with it. You can't even assume that someone so driven by science hasn't been influenced by the storm of information and misinformation about covid vaccines and/or is as well informed outside their expertise as they are inside it.

The bit that particularly convinced her was the distinction between log term side effects and side effects that are so rare that only a vaccine roll out reveals them.

And one of the strengths (and weaknesses) of a place like this is that you can engage in debates more vigorously than you would in real life.

Take the dates with a pinch of salt, but this might give an broad indication of when your Mum could be vaccinated. A lot of water under the bridge to go though.

Thanks, this is very useful. It estimates a million vaccinations a week. So does that imply that roughly 2 million of the most vulnerable people have already been done in the UK? That should see death figures (currently rising toward 1000 a day again) falling off of a cliff in the next few weeks?

Thanks, this is very useful. It estimates a million vaccinations a week. So does that imply that roughly 2 million of the most vulnerable people have already been done in the UK? That should see death figures (currently rising toward 1000 a day again) falling off of a cliff in the next few weeks?

Latest numbers are that 600k have been done so far .This Pfizer vaccine is obviously hard to use so things should speed up once Oxford one gets approved

Its about 600k as @Ayush_reddevil said, we’ll see an acceleration of numbers in January as the Oxford vaccine should be approved on the 28th of December. The logistics on that vaccine means it can accelerate into care homes and GPs due to the storage requirements.

January might be horrific for deaths if I’m honest, and I don’t think we’ll see any effect of the death rate declining before the 2nd week of January, off the basis of tier 4 being implemented a week ago.

Its about 600k as @Ayush_reddevil said, we’ll see an acceleration of numbers in January as the Oxford vaccine should be approved on the 28th of December. The logistics on that vaccine means it can accelerate into care homes and GPs due to the storage requirements.

January might be horrific for deaths if I’m honest, and I don’t think we’ll see any effect of the death rate declining before the 2nd week of January, off the basis of tier 4 being implemented a week ago.
I am late on the news here, where did you read the approval for the Oxford vaccine is for 28th? And by this do you mean Astra Zenica?

I am late on the news here, where did you read the approval for the Oxford vaccine is for 28th? And by this do you mean Astra Zenica?

Yes, that’s the one. A lot of news outlets are reporting 28th/29th (Guardian, Independent, Evening Standard).

:rolleyes: If I were one of your 3 colleagues, I would have told you " It's none of your business"

:rolleyes: If I were one of your 3 colleagues, I would have told you " It's none of your business"
They probably asked him? Or it came up in conversation? It’s none of your business what him and his colleagues discuss....

Good for him for simply directing people to sources that demonstrate why the vaccine is fine to have.

I also completely agree with the poster that conflating people who have concerns about the vaccine and anti vaxxers isn’t helpful as it’s okay to be nervous about it! Handling that nervousness with education and understanding is crucial.

They probably asked him? Or it came up in conversation? It’s none of your business what him and his colleagues discuss....

Good for him for simply directing people to sources that demonstrate why the vaccine is fine to have.

I also completely agree with the poster that conflating people who have concerns about the vaccine and anti vaxxers isn’t helpful as it’s okay to be nervous about it! Handling that nervousness with education and understanding is crucial.

Did he submit a post on a public forum? Yes
Did I ask about what he and his colleagues discussed? No
Is he in a position to "educate" people on health as you suggest? Please allow me to be sceptical.
Pure intellectual honesty is to talk about pros and cons, not just choose some sources that suit an agenda.

Is he in a position to "educate" people on health as you suggest? Please allow me to be sceptical.
Pure intellectual honesty is to talk about pros and cons, not just choose some sources that suit an agenda.

Fairly sure Africanspur is a doctor, so yes, he is indeed in a position to educate people on health

Merry Christmas bro, not arguing about the validity of a safe vaccine today. Have a good one.

Fairly sure Africanspur is a doctor, so yes, he is indeed in a position to educate people on health

Thanks, fair enough. My point is that I don't expect colleagues to educate me, but my doctor ;)

Merry Christmas bro, not arguing about the validity of a safe vaccine today. Have a good one.

Merry Christmas bro.

I don't have any views about it, really - just think that time will tell the truth.

Thanks, fair enough. My point is that I don't expect colleagues to educate me, but my doctor ;)

Merry Christmas bro.

I don't have any views about it, really - just think that time will tell the truth.
Have a good one buddy!

Not sure why you're going in all guns blazing and on the attack for no reason, especially today of all days.

But yes, as others have said, I am a doctor (with some experience in both infectious diseases and public health, albeit both a looong time ago now) and the conversation came up organically at work amongst the group and was a very light hearted conversation. Unsurprisingly in a London hospital, where we are currently looking after Covid patients, the vaccine comes up in conversation.

Despite working in a hospital, lots of misconceptions abound about vaccines or about this one in particular, from ward clerks, healthcare assistants, porters and also nurses and doctors too.

Nobody took any offence at all. There were others who wanted to wait for another few months and that's totally their choice too.

Merry Christmas, hope you've had a nice day.

I agree, even those working in the medical profession can get taken in by all the anti vaxxer propaganda doing the rounds. A nurse I know who actually worked at the covid wards came home claiming it's just the flu. I had to educate her that she was looking at the field hospitals where they isolated asymptomatic patients. Of course she saw no one dying. She should take a visit to ICUs and see how patients on ventilators are.

Later on she came back and started talking about how the vaccine is poison and how it wasn't safe because it was rushed. Or how it was useless because flu vaccines are useless. I had to go another round about how the covid 19 is not the flu, vaccine safety, etc with her all over again.

Not sure why you're going in all guns blazing and on the attack for no reason, especially today of all days.

But yes, as others have said, I am a doctor (with some experience in both infectious diseases and public health, albeit both a looong time ago now) and the conversation came up organically at work amongst the group and was a very light hearted conversation. Unsurprisingly in a London hospital, where we are currently looking after Covid patients, the vaccine comes up in conversation.

Despite working in a hospital, lots of misconceptions abound about vaccines or about this one in particular, from ward clerks, healthcare assistants, porters and also nurses and doctors too.

Nobody took any offence at all. There were others who wanted to wait for another few months and that's totally their choice too.

Merry Christmas, hope you've had a nice day.

Thanks for your message.

No offense intended: in some way, I am just a defender of individual liberties

Merry Christmas and all the best :)

My theory in life is, never ever be the first in line for anything. So I'm going to wait at least 12-18 months to get any vaccine, I'm not in a risk category anyway.