The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s strangely normal here now. I was maskless at work, in coffee shops, and at a bar for this first time in months this week. Weird at first but starting to get used to normality again.

Still not used to the whole country being covid free for over a month, with the single "community transmisson" not really being that as the cleaner caught it from flight crews in quarantine hotels due to the crews not being as strictly quarantined as returning travelers (now sorted allegedly). Luckily the cleaner didn't infect anyone.

I still watch the daily fully expecting community transmission to appear again especially when testing of sewage detects covid even though that could be from previous infections.

Edit: Bollocks - another one today. A driver transporting aircrew. Hopefully it is contained.

People in UAE including the ruling Sheik and many of his family and top Government officials have already taken Chinese vaccine and is now being mass rolled out

I've found a fascinating (ok, it's only fascinating if you're a geek) description of how these vaccines reduced that initial research phase from a couple of years (minimum) to a couple of weeks. It helps explain why the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines came in with such high efficacy numbers and why people have high hopes of vaccines like Novavax and J&J doing the same.

This video that describes how to quickly make a good spike for the body to learn to attack is excellent

More of the story with links at:

That is very cool. Most be super satisfying right now for the original group who designed the stabilised protein!

Although it appears the front running vaccines aren’t sterilising, the small amount of data available suggests they may still reduce asymptomatic infections and transmission to some degree. I think people have taken the lack of sterilising immunity to mean they have no impact whatsoever on transmission, which seems unlikely to me.

The fact these three don't give sterilising immunity does lend more credence to the idea that you need something to stimulate an immune response in the upper respiratory tract / IgA.

What would happen if you had a bunch of different vaccines?

What would happen if you had a bunch of different vaccines?
Do you mean a dose 1 of one followed by a dose 2 of something else? Or a full course of one followed by a full course of something else?

Either way, we don't really know yet. Some trials are starting on the former, Astra Zeneca + Sputnik being the first.

On the latter, in theory some (non-placebo) trial participants may want to take a course of a different (approved/more efficacious) vaccine - though I suspect the medical teams will discourage that, unless that's also monitored as a safety trial.

Longer term, we'll have to trial it, in case the vaccines do need boosters after a year. In theory they should be ok, and it may be that you'd only need one dose, the second time around. But some combinations may carry more risks than others. Incidentally the same is true of a booster of the same type - it might not work as well as using a different looking vaccine.

Last edited:
Do you mean a dose 1 of one followed by a dose 2 of something else? Or a full course of one followed by a full course of something else?

Either way, we don't really know yet. Some trials are starting on the former, Astra Zeneca + Sputnik being the first.
Yes, either or. What would happen if you had a full course of 3 different vaccines. Or 7.

It really seems to be rolling out quickly here in the UK. Anecdotally quite a few grandparents of friends have got it or are due to. Factually, apparently 130k+ have been vaccinated in the first week - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55332242

Bare in mind that this is just taking into account the vaccination that is taking place in hospitals. I imagine the figure will be much higher when GP's and mass centres start rolling it out.

Getting the vac after work tonight. Have a weird guilty feeling as I'm not vulnerable myself but I work around very vulnerable elderly, so I suppose its for the best.

There is no way that you of all people should feel any guilt. Enough vulnerable people have been very ill or died and if it prevents you from catching the virus then that is a good thing.

Getting the vac after work tonight. Have a weird guilty feeling as I'm not vulnerable myself but I work around very vulnerable elderly, so I suppose its for the best.
No need to feel guilty. Your doing so can potentially save lives so it’s certainly worthwhile. Thankfully we will never know the potential impacts you (or anybody who has been vaccinated) could have had in terms of spreading to the vulnerable :)

There is no way that you of all people should feel any guilt. Enough vulnerable people have been very ill or died and if it prevents you from catching the virus then that is a good thing.
No need to feel guilty. Your doing so can potentially save lives so it’s certainly worthwhile. Thankfully we will never know the potential impacts you (or anybody who has been vaccinated) could have had in terms of spreading to the vulnerable :)

Thank you guys, I do appreciate that.

That's exactly why you shouldn't feel guilty, you're protecting the most vulnerable by doing so

You are protecting many vulnerable people. Your shot would only protect 1 vulnerable person if given to them instead of you.

Yes very true. Had the jab earlier. No side effects but came straight home and updated Microsoft Windows. :confused:

Bill-Gates-vaccine.jpg

Have they provided any further details regarding the allergic reaction a couple of people got to the Pfizer vaccination? Is the guidance still that people with allergies shouldn’t get it?

Have they provided any further details regarding the allergic reaction a couple of people got to the Pfizer vaccination? Is the guidance still that people with allergies shouldn’t get it?

I've not heard more but I suspect people who have to carry epipens already will either not be given the vaccine or warned even more than before. The good thing is that their symptoms were mild and not anaphylactic events. I carry an epipen and I'd take the vaccine without a second thought.

When do people think life will be back to normal?

Will I be in a packed bar in Europe somewhere watching the Euros this summer?

Has the governments released any official figures about the number of people vaccinated in the US and UK?

Has the governments released any official figures about the number of people vaccinated in the US and UK?
I believe the plan is for weekly reporting of numbers of doses given out in the UK, starting next week. The 137k number was from a government press release.

It really does look like the vaccine approval "controversy" of the UK doing it first is just a reflection of bureacracy and public sentiment.

On the one hand you have the EU president yesterday saying they will start vaccinations on the 27th December

On the other hand you have the European Medicine's Agency scheduling a meeting for next week to provide their recommendation on whether the vaccines should be approved.

It really does look like the vaccine approval "controversy" of the UK doing it first is just a reflection of bureacracy and public sentiment.

On the one hand you have the EU president yesterday saying they will start vaccinations on the 27th December

On the other hand you have the European Medicine's Agency scheduling a meeting for next week to provide their recommendation on whether the vaccines should be approved.

Normally the only people who notice the approvals process are the pharmaceutical company. The technical decision on the drug and its trial results is only part of it.

The QA mechanisms that guarantee repeatability of process - including the safety/security of the storage and supply chain get reviewed as well. So does the equivalent of the "release note" - the bit that tells the local distribution network and the end users (doctors/nurses etc) what they can and can't do.

The MHRA had to approve a (post release) change of process to allow Public Health England to split the (thousand dose) vaccine cases into their component trays to improve logistics. They've now added a warning about people with known strong allergic responses.

At a guess, EMA had been ready to approve for a couple of weeks - but all those processes and release notes across individual countries, need approval and checking for technical consistency as well. The rollout date at this point has less to do with the safety approval than the logistics approval for each country.

In any case the rollout until now has been mostly supply limited - they need millions of doses ready to go, and that's only just happening. Having stock ready to go changes things.

What's the controversy there? The recommendation for approval will come on Monday, and the EMA approval and then EU approvaI will come a day or two later. Actual vaccinations start the following week.

The UK went for an emergency approval that skips a few things, the EU didnt. That's the difference.

What's the controversy there? The recommendation for approval will come on Monday, and the EMA approval and then EU approvaI will come a day or two later. Actual vaccinations start the following week.

The UK went for an emergency approval that skips a few things, the EU didnt. That's the difference.

Oh I'm not saying the EMA are doing anything wrong, that their additional steps have no value, or that the European president has stepped out of line. I just think it reiterates that the controversy around the UK approval - small though it was - was essentially manufactured in the media.

The European president knows the vaccine will be approved before it has been approved, and has confirmed the vaccines will happen before the meeting has taken place to confirm the findings. It was the same with Fauci saying that the vaccine was going to be safe and effective, but the FDA at that point still were unable to state that it was safe and effective, due the procedures agreed to.
Fauci said:
It's going to take us another week at least to get to the point to where the FDA will be able to, with confidence, make a statement regarding safety and efficacy. You know at the end of the day, it's going to be safe, it's going to be effective, the people in the UK are going to receive it and they're going to do very well, the people in the United States are going to receive it and we're going to do pretty well.

And while that clarification from Fauci mostly removed any of those doubts, it did create the media controversy at the time that did legitimately worry people:

No smoke without fire. Think a lot will be put off by this.

It's not much different from what you were saying about the Fauci moment a few weeks back. I just thought this EU formality was another way of looking at the same story. All three of these regulatory agencies were confident at the same time that the vaccines were safe and effective, they just decided on / had different processes on how to communicate it and what steps were required to convince the relevant stakeholders.

Is there a reliable chart/data to show when shipments of Vaccine are due into the UK...by who and the quantity?

Is there a reliable chart/data to show when shipments of Vaccine are due into the UK...by who and the quantity?
I don't think so.

I believe that there are 4 million doses of Pfizer now due in December (originally planned to be 10m but it wasn't possible to ramp up production that fast). I've read that the UK has 20m doses arriving in batches over the next 6 months.

Moderna doses will be significantly later - maybe not available in any significant orquantity in the UK until Q2.

Astra Zeneca could deliver millions of doses much sooner, if they can sort out the dosing regime and convince the regulators on safety.

Moderna being approved in the FDA is a huge deal. Biggest advantage over the rest is high safety and efficacy across all ages but news that Moderna expects that mRNA-1273 is stable at standard refrigerated conditions of 2° to 8°C for up to 30 days within the 6-month shelf life. 12 hours stable at room temperature (better for home visits/community jabs) and also stable at standard freezer temps of -20°C for up to 6 months
Source: https://investors.modernatx.com/new...ounces-longer-shelf-life-its-covid-19-vaccine

UK government has ordered 7 million doses and the MHRA has been doing a rolling review since October but apparently its not anticipated to be rolled out in Europe until Spring at the earliest due to production issues

Pfizer's vaccine we were told literally days before rollout in primary care that instead of the previous mentioned 5 days for useage once thawed and stored to refrigerated temperatures it had to be used within 3 days which has been a bit of a logistical nightmare.

So India plans on rolling out its indigenous vaccine and Russia's Sputnik in January and aim to vacinate 300m people. No safety data of any kind has been published. This is not going to be a disaster.