Music The Ultimate Metal thread.

Thanks man that means a lot! Loved Deafheaven until my brother (guitarist/songwriter of our band) saw them live about 18 months ago and said how crap the vocalists clean vocals were live, so then I watched a live video and it's kind of ruined the lovely clean vocals vibe from the latest album! (Reckon there might be a lot of autotune going on on the recordings...) Hopefully enough time has now passed for me to go back and enjoy it again...

And 65daysofstatic are one of my favourite all time bands alongside Russian Circles, so nice to hear we sound like a mashup of those!

We still play a lot of the 2nd album live, 1st album my drums are a bit more basic but think I've come a long way since then...let me know what you think of them if you get a chance to listen!

I dig both the 1st and 2nd records. Definitely a progression from the whole band from 1st to 2nd, and production-wise the 2nd record sounds a lot slicker. Though I really like Lavawalker on the 1st record, reminds me a lot of Pelican.

Something a little bit different from Within Temptation. I'm really enjoying the "new" album (came out last year, I just put it in a Spotify playlist and then forgot to ever listen to it).

Shifty Shellshock (!) died couple of days ago, drug overdose. I never really liked Crazy Town and their biggest hit actually annoyed me, so naturally, of all the possible bands I managed to win their debut album around 2000 I think. :lol: that and Nostradamus from Judas Priest are still the only albums I've ever received as a prize.

but...

this song I actually liked from that album and I even put it in on a birthday playlist couple of times. surprisingly deep for such band, but then again, I might be selling them short. who knows, who cares.

Went to go re-hash my childhood on Sunday with Korn at Gunnersbury Park and they still tear live. I spent many years dragging my arse around festivals and gigs and they are the band that sound closest to their recordings on stage playing live. Absolutely amazing.

2 great voices combining, absolute class. Probably my favourite song from them together.

Allen / Lande - Down From The Mountain

I like bands like Slipknot, Corey Taylor, Sleep Token and Siamese.

I bet most of you do not know Siamese, but check them out. I saw them at Copenhell, and they were great live as well.

Last edited:
2 great voices combining, absolute class. Probably my favourite song from them together.

Allen / Lande - Down From The Mountain

Russell Allen is a magnificent singer, but Jorn is an absolute freak. His work with Ark, Beyond Twilight and Avantasia is unreal.

It’s a shame that his solo stuff, while good, is just generic rock that doesn’t really challenge him.

Sabaton - Carolus Rex
Epic song.

Heard some twats covering earlier, chick singer, made it sound like some shit fairytale.

All these covers from bang average female singers are becoming overly annoying.

Listened to a couple more covers and it seems everyone who covers it destroys it.

two absolute beauties and my personal favorites from them, not counting his Mr. Bungle stuff. you can never get tired of Patton's voice.

it's crazy how they grew on me since 2023., as I wasn't paying much attention to them in my younger years. probably because it's always refreshing when a certain rock or metal band's biggest asset is actually their singer.

... and a random live piece from Sepultura

unlike me, my best friend used to be crazy about them and Cavalera in general. he gave up on them as soon as Max left, I even had to do some convincing in order for him to go to a concert with me 10 years ago.

but to me, D. Green has a better voice and the intensity he brings is on another level. I know it's a sacrilege, but it's just how it is for me. just look at all those drummers :lol:

two absolute beauties and my personal favorites from them, not counting his Mr. Bungle stuff. you can never get tired of Patton's voice.

it's crazy how they grew on me since 2023., as I wasn't paying much attention to them in my younger years. probably because it's always refreshing when a certain rock or metal band's biggest asset is actually their singer.

Love a bit of Mike Patton, amazing voice. Think my favourite FNM track is "Just a Man", absolutely belts it on that one.

The Lovage album is still one of my all-time favourite releases, so stupidly playful and sexy. He and Jennifer Charles were perfectly matched on that album.

Someone recommended the Octoploid album to me. I don't really follow music news so had no idea about the band, so when I heard the below I thought "Hang on a second, someone has listened to a lot of Elegy-era Amorphis"

Then I found out it was Olli-Pekka Laine's band with Tomi Koivusaari doing guest vocals.

Russell Allen is a magnificent singer, but Jorn is an absolute freak. His work with Ark, Beyond Twilight and Avantasia is unreal.

It’s a shame that his solo stuff, while good, is just generic rock that doesn’t really challenge him.

Aye, Jorn is surreal, but I do agree he seems much better in collabs than his own stuff.

Can't help but think that down from the mountain song is sung from the perspective of some kid going down a massive hill in one of those home made karts :lol: man I wanna be a kid again with that kind of imagination

I have just found the band "Asking Alexendria" and I like so many of their numbers. Here are two examples. In no. 2 their play together with Mötley Crue and Nine Ince Nails.

Classic banger

Aye, I was kind of late to Kreator (Late being about 15 years ago). I'm going to see them, Anthrax and Testament in Dublin in November. €80 for the ticket, that's value for money, people will pay many multiples of that just to see fecking oasis.

Music video:

Great song, great production, great storytelling from Till.

This week I'm listening to Maiden, still the best band I've ever seen live (Dance of Death tour in 2004 while my family were travelling through Chile - I was not even a teen then!).

Great song, great production, great storytelling from Till.

This week I'm listening to Maiden, still the best band I've ever seen live (Dance of Death tour in 2004 while my family were travelling through Chile - I was not even a teen then!).

Maiden are awesome. I was listening to a lot of them on Wednesday. Wish I’d manage to catch them last year.

I always go to Rock in Rio from 2001.

This gig would've been so awesome - best live version of Fear of the Dark in this one for me. South American crowds are always so into it!

Maiden are awesome. I was listening to a lot of them on Wednesday. Wish I’d manage to catch them last year.

They're still awesome live, still pumping out good albums, 50 years and 25 tours later :wenger: 100% would go see them again if they toured closer to me this year, saw them in Sydney 8 years ago as well!

If there ever was a football manager for metal bands (1 starter and 2 subs), mine would be (Let me be the first to say this is a subjective list!):

......................................................................Nick Menza
......................................................(Dave Lombardo / Scott Travis)

.............. James Hetfield.............................. Cliff Burton...................................Marty Friedman
(Dave Mustaine / Dimebag).............(Lemmy / Steve Harris)............(Synyster Gates / Glenn Tipton)

................................................................Bruce Dickinson
................................................(Corey Taylor / Papa Rob Halford)​

I guess I'd have to call them: Metal-Death-Maiden?

Honourable mentions: 'The Rev' Sullivan, All of Led Zep, 'The nonce' Dave Ellefson, Dave Murray, Eddie Van Halen, Lars and Kirk, Serj Tankian, all of Black Sabbath, Kerry King, Joey Jordison.

Last edited: