The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we were 8 points ahead with three games to go and City won the title. It's never over until it's over. 11 points at this stage is nothing still

City to draw away to Swans and Spurs at home. Title race will be back to 7 points by next Sunday. You heard it here first................:D

It's over, at least in my head and I'm glad that I won't be stressing over it at least.

Focus on top 2 and champions league.

Little bit off topic. I just realised that this will be 5 years from our last title. 5 years from rvp's hat-trick against villa. Like it was last year. How time flies....

You must be joking.
They are not going to be caught by anyone unless they have an absolute catastrophic melt down. They wont.
They are the Champions.

I predict they will win it by the biggest points gap this year - more than the 18 points we won by in 2000.

I also think they will go above 100 points - or very close to it

City has scored 8 goals in the last 4 games, they were scoring for fun the beginning of the season. Had these last 4 games been played earlier in the year, I reckon they would have scored more than 8.

Fatigue will play a factor, always have and always will.

All I am saying is that come April 1st, a team (or few teams) would still be mathematically alive for the title. It is a long season, anything can happen and weird things and unforeseen events happen when a team is chasing the title.

Well we were 8 points ahead with three games to go and City won the title. It's never over until it's over. 11 points at this stage is nothing still

There were six games left.

It's probably over but every team has a wobble at one point. If we could somehow raise our level to be as consistent as they have been so far than we should have a chance because maintaining that kind of consistency for the whole season is near impossible(though if anyone is going to do it, it's going to be a Pep team). If we can manage that is different question.

Atmosphere at OT is going to be dire from here on in for league games.

Unless something dramatic happens.

Can' believe people are saying it' over this early. We got beat hard to take yes but it happens.

Long long way to go before they give out trophies

Sadly enough that has been the case 2 out of last 3 years and this year now, a team goes on a run during the first half of the season setting up an impossible gap that he can afford to lose some games during second half of the season and still maintain it anyway.

City will lose for sure, but the gap is so much I can't see any team closing on it anymore, because us and other teams will lose points too it's inevitable.

It is over. Let’s be realistic, they’re not going to bottle this.

As much as it felt shit to say City are going to win the league, nobody expected it at the first. We have improved a lot from last season and be 2nd which we can dream of last three season under Moye and LVG. Pep has ruined Jose's 100% record of winning the league in the second season with the team. For one thing, I hope it'll motivate Jose to go full next season and tear everyone apart and humiliate City at their home in front of their fans and walk the league unbeaten. Make it happen, please.

If we keep up our points average (which is pretty good), we'll end up with 83. City would then have to equal Tottenham's point average up to now to beat us. Our only chance is to go on a monumental run that would bring us close to 90 points, including a win at City. If so, City wouldn't need a total collapse to lose it - just dropping the odd points here and there.

All in all, not very likely. Best just to forget about City and enjoy our own games.

If City continue to win their games over the congested festive season ( next 4 or 5 games), then Mods can as well close this thread.

So much wrong with this post it's hard to know where to start :lol:

Congrats to Manchester City for winning the title. The game was very boring, United couldn't string even two passes together for most of the game. The first half remembered me final in 2011 vs United, when Barcelona completely dominated the game and Rooney scored offside goal. This time, Delph brainfart happened. United players are very poor technically, I had 10 City players in combined XI (only De Gea) from active players and after the derby I'd NOT change anyone from my combined XI. Spurs are the only team in England that may not be outclassed in their matches in the league vs Man City due to their style of play and their players being technically adequated.

As much as it felt shit to say City are going to win the league, nobody expected it at the first. We have improved a lot from last season and be 2nd which we can dream of last three season under Moye and LVG. Pep has ruined Jose's 100% record of winning the league in the second season with the team. For one thing, I hope it'll motivate Jose to go full next season and tear everyone apart and humiliate City at their home in front of their fans and walk the league unbeaten. Make it happen, please.

We'd all love to see this mate but realistically we'd need 5 quality/class players and a lot of luck, can't see it happening.

Think we are a cup side now until the blue bubble bursts or we get some proper players in. Today too many went through the motions knowing their pay cheque was safe. Onwards and upwards Champions League Final here we come let's make is 4!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ladies and gentlemen, the most competitive league in the world...

Ladies and gentlemen, the most competitive league in the world...
City are having a historic season on course for over 110+ points. What can you do ?

Atleast this will force other teams to raise their standards whether in buying better or coaching. This is probably an evolution point in the league right now. If other teams don’t step it up, City could possibly dominate for the next few years.

The Pep revolution?

City are having a historic season on course for over 110+ points. What can you do ?

Atleast this will force other teams to raise their standards whether in buying better or coaching. This is probably an evolution point in the league right now. If other teams don’t step it up, City could possibly dominate for the next few years.

The Pep revolution?
I thought that sounded great but the. I realised 110+ points is impossible - there’s only 114 available! To finish the season on 110 points we’d have to win 21 and draw 1 from our remaining fixtures.

That said. I think by any normal season standards United are having a good year. Not an outstanding one, but a good one. By your same estimation you’re on for a season of 83+ points. A fair return and enough for the title on the odd occasion.

The Pep revolution?

They should be on top for the foreseeable, short of the UAE collapsing economically.

While a 11 points deficit is still recoverable, I really struggle to see where this City team will slip up. City needs to drop points in the next couple of games, otherwise, the chasing pack will be left demotivated and will drop more points themselves.

The Pep revolution?

There will be more pressure on them next season. Back to back titles are incredibly difficult to do, players aren't as motivated for whatever reason, it's something Wenger, Chelsea minus Mourino and City with Arab money have never done (yet). You'd still back them to be dominant but it hopefully shouldn't be as easy as this year is shaping up.

Not over yet but it's a significant step for City and given the other results this weekend United look to be the one serious challenger, they do need to up their game a bit though.

If you assume that 90 pts will be enough to win the title City will need 2.00 ppg here on out and United will need 2.50 ppg. City's form last season was 2.08 ppg so it's a big challenge but not entirely insurmountable.

Have to admit I thought Mourinho would go for it today to try and close the gap and with the side he picked I expected exactly that but United hardly seemed to press at all in the first half, they went more aggressive second half which definitely worked better however. Pep also went more conservative I felt with one less man joining the attack than usual and trying to contain United, similar to his tactics in the last derby at the Etihad but this time City made a breakthrough from set pieces. I think he's still grasping how important set pieces are in English football

Atmosphere at OT is going to be dire from here on in for league games.

Unless something dramatic happens.

It needn't be, it's still a huge upgrade in form and results compared to the last few seasons. Don't want to say too much and come across as a horrible gloating bastard but United made some pretty big errors in the transition from Ferguson's era imho. The Moyes season was a big setback I feel mostly on the coaching side as he got rid of a lot of personnel who'd worked under Ferguson and he didn't do much to improve the playing squad at all, that's taken a lot to recover from. Also, purely my own view but United desperately need a Director of Football to dictate the long term strategy and sign the right kind of players, then it's just a question of hiring a manager who fits with that. I know they didn't need a DoF under Fergie but they definitely could do with one now, either the man himself or someone else who knows the club and knows what they're doing.

edit: full disclosure, my Dad is a former match going red and was at the '68 Euro cup final so some of this rant is probably influenced by him!

Last edited:
It needn't be, it's still a huge upgrade in form and results compared to the last few seasons. Don't want to say too much and come across as a horrible gloating bastard but United made some pretty big errors in the transition from Ferguson's era imho. The Moyes season was a big setback I feel mostly on the coaching side as he got rid of a lot of personnel who'd worked under Ferguson and he didn't do much to improve the playing squad at all, that's taken a lot to recover from. Also, purely my own view but United desperately need a Director of Football to dictate the long term strategy and sign the right kind of players, then it's just a question of hiring a manager who fits with that. I know they didn't need a DoF under Fergie but they definitely could do with one now, either the man himself or someone else who knows the club and knows what they're doing.

edit: full disclosure, my Dad is a former match going red and was at the '68 Euro cup final so some of this rant is probably influenced by him!

United was planning to hire Monchi as director of football but decided not to do and give an autonomy to Jose, I think it had something to do with United's stability first. United are recovering well from Moye and LVG's disaster season and are in 2nd right now which is great, it's just City that is overachieving, in any other league, we'd be top of the league. I'd expect United to hire a new director of football as soon as Jose is leaving next season at the end.

United was planning to hire Monchi as director of football but decided not to do and give an autonomy to Jose, I think it had something to do with United's stability first. United are recovering well from Moye and LVG's disaster season and are in 2nd right now which is great, it's just City that is overachieving, in any other league, we'd be top of the league. I'd expect United to hire a new director of football as soon as Jose is leaving next season at the end.

Ah fair enough, I think it would be best long term to appoint a DoF but there's no argument that Mourinho has dramatically improved the results and points gained so far. As you say City are an outlier this year but I think United will be looking both at that and the long term view to challenge next season and beyond.

First sign of an elite team and the whole league collapses around them, pathetic really. These managers are being paid way too much for all of them to only come up with being glorified bus drives as an idea to how to get a result vs City.

That required a rare slip from us and we were not on the same consistent level as this City. It's not the norm. SAF through his experience have the 5 point gap by New Year period theory on title race, which as we see has quite been accurate.

Of course we shouldn't go into don't give a shite mode in December with plenty of games to play, but we shouldn't be too worked up trying catching City as it has been quite out of hand now. Should be focusing in the cups and trying our best in CL.

Should concentrate on the cups now and top four. If we could win the CL it would be huge. People probably wont agree with me, but winning the CL is bigger than the PL for me.

The thing about that is we would probably have to beat the likes of City, PSG, Barca, Bayern or Real to win it. Not happening with our squad in my honest opinion. This team man for man is easily not as good as any of them.
Even yesterday City were not that good and have played a hell of a lot better (as have we) but they still won the game quite comfortably. I will be happy with top four, a cup and quarters of CL.
Jose knows along with everyone with sense that we need a serious injection of quality added directly into this first team before we are capable of winning the league and CL, his pragmatism does hold us back at times but I believe he is not confident with his players ability to beat the big teams.

The Pep revolution?

A lot of people were snigerring about Bundesliga being an easy league when he went on similar runs with Bayern. Current PL is far from easy- United, Chelsea, Spurs are good challengers and if City was to get near the 100 points total it would definitely mark them down as one of the best PL team of all time.

They actually played better than this at the home of the Champions.

Beat Liverpool 5-0.

This is just a bloody good side. Nothing wrong with giving their due plaudits.
They’re good, but not as good as people are saying. Their defence is quite poor still.

They’re good, but not as good as people are saying. Their defence is quite poor still.
Joint least goals against, together with United. And there's whole threads here praising the defensive strength of United. So how poor can City's defense be said to be, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.