The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance. He went to chase the ball, a ball he initially played. He followed through with his pass, it was Bellerin who came in to challenge the ball, basically threw himself under Pogba (whose feet were now off the ground as he played the ball past Bellerin and was running centrally from the left). If you look at the video, Bellerin's position literally covers almost everywhere that Pogba can plant his feet. This being said, this is also all in real time. Reacting that fast in less than a second is almost impossible, especially with there being limited areas to place your feet.

There's absolutely no chance Pogba would genuinely try and injure a player when we were 2-0 up away from home.

I agree on the end that Pogba doesn't seem like the type to do someone. Also hard to call if he could break momentum but I think real time it would be hard. Certainly I don't think there was any malice.

I agree on the end that Pogba doesn't seem like the type to do someone. Also hard to call if he could break momentum but I think real time it would be hard. Certainly I don't think there was any malice.

Yea I think most people here are just frustrated. Most can understand why it'd be given red, but it's certainly not a sure thing, it could go either way. What annoys people is the inconsistency, how Kosc was not sent off for dropping Lukaku through on goal (something which also isn't a sure red, but certainly could be one) is inconsistent and frankly just annoying. Coupled with the fact that the one time we played the big teams with our starting eleven, we smashed them - only for our star player to once again be unavailable for some big games, games that could be crucial for our title chances just ticks people off.

The last thing Pogba is, is dirty. He's an absolute baller who's only interested in playing football. It's a situation where I believe the only punishment should have been being sent off for the rest of the game, without any ban afterwards. These kind of situations should be dealt with and looked at with common sense applied, not a strict rigid rule of an automatic 3 game ban. Common sense of any kind never really seems to apply to the authorities in any walk of life :)

I presume you meant isn't dirty and you are right. He's more the modern Fifa styled player for lack of a better word. Certainly no previous record and the derby will be a worse game without him.

The past 10 years of the PL have seen last second goals by Macheda and Aguero and slipped by Gerrard, all these events happened in the final weeks of the season that decided the title.

Think of how many times this forum has said a team is out of title/top 4 race and only to retract that weeks later.

PL race is getting tighter and tighter, gone are the days that top 4 is locked in and title is wrapped up early, I be shocked if City clinches in April much less giving them the title now.

Title race is over now surely. City have beating there two closest rivals at there own stadiums very comfortably too.

They controlled the game today with ease.

And that’s all she wrote.

Or are we still convinced that titles aren’t won in first half of the season?

Starting to believe we'll win it now. Wins v Swansea and Spurs and we'll be in a great spot, fail to win those and today is completely undone.

It’s all over now. 11 points behind a fortnight before Xmas.

It’s a 2nd place battle now between us, Chelsea & Liverpool

All over now? We were never in the race really. 2nd is the best we can hope for.

Starting to believe we'll win it now. Wins v Swansea and Spurs and we'll be in a great spot, fail to win those and today is completely undone.
Oh come on.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time before today.

The title has been yours for a long time. Just like Chelsea in the last two wins of theirs. Both their wins were basically sealed in the first half of their season. Same with you guys.

Over. Only us to blame for other result, and even our mistake in this game to gift 2 goal away

Yeah it's over. No one can catch an 11 points gap at the moment.

Let's concentrate on getting second position at least.

Oh come on.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time before today.

The title has been yours for a long time. Just like Chelsea in the last two wins of theirs. Both their wins were basically sealed in the first half of their season. Same with you guys.

Chelsea don't mess things up like we do though. 8pts ahead vs United to 8pts behind to win on Goal Difference and for our second we nearly lost to Luis Suarez on his own and had to rely on Rodgers getting overly arrogant v Palace.

Chelsea don't mess things up like we do though. 8pts ahead vs United to 8pts behind to win on Goal Difference and for our second we nearly lost to Luis Suarez on his own and had to rely on Rodgers getting overly arrogant v Palace.
In your second, you won the league even after Liverpool won 11 games on the trot.

I know you are just trying to be civil on a United forum, but its your title. I am not even trying to jinx you. I have thought that for a long time.

The past 10 years of the PL have seen last second goals by Macheda and Aguero and slipped by Gerrard, all these events happened in the final weeks of the season that decided the title.

Think of how many times this forum has said a team is out of title/top 4 race and only to retract that weeks later.

PL race is getting tighter and tighter, gone are the days that top 4 is locked in and title is wrapped up early, I be shocked if City clinches in April much less giving them the title now.

lol, title race is over man. It was a long time ago this season.

Unfortunately City are too good

Well they’ve fecking walked it. 14 wins in 15 games including wins at United, Chelsea and a 5-0 humiliation of Liverpool.

I’m disappointed in our play but we aren’t good enough.

Where's that "race over in November (Redcafe)" snip bit gone? :lol:
Was never a title race, media pretending there was one, our race is a top 4 race, time to focus on that and stop with the delusions about catching city.

The Scottish league is more competitive than the Premier League for the first time I can remember.

City could break the 100 point barrier this season - although if they win league early they might rest players in the prem if they’re still in the CL.

You must be joking.
They are not going to be caught by anyone unless they have an absolute catastrophic melt down. They wont.
They are the Champions.

I predict they will win it by the biggest points gap this year - more than the 18 points we won by in 2000.

I also think they will go above 100 points - or very close to it

This is the dreadfulness that Pep instills in his league opponents. fecking title race is over before the year is even done.

Well, we overhauled a 12-point gap at Christmas to win it in 95/96, and threw away an eight-point lead in the final six games in 2011/12, so it wouldn't be totally unprecedented for the title race to come back to life. Can't see it happening, personally, but no excuse to down tools just yet, especially given how congested the teams below are.

Greatest leads after 16 games and final finishing positions:

2017/18: Manchester City (11 points)
2005/06: Chelsea (9 points) - 1st, 8 points ahead of 2nd
2000/01: Manchester United (8 points) - 1st, 10 points ahead of 2nd
2012/13: Manchester United (6 points) - 1st, 11 points ahead of 2nd
2016/17: Chelsea (6 points) - 1st, 7 points ahead of 2nd
2004/05: Chelsea (5 points) - 1st, 12 points ahead of 2nd
1995/96: Newcastle United (5 points) - 2nd, 4 points behind 1st
2002/03: Arsenal (4 points) - 2nd, 5 points behind 1st

2014/15: Chelsea (3 points) - 1st, 8 points ahead of 2nd
2009/10: Chelsea (3 points) - 1st, 1 point ahead of 2nd
2006/07: Manchester United (3 points) - 1st, 6 points ahead of 2nd
1997/98: Manchester United (3 points) - 2nd, 1 point behind 1st
2010/11: Manchester United (2 points) - 1st, 9 points ahead of 2nd
2015/16: Leicester City (2 points) - 1st, 10 points ahead of 2nd
2011/12: Manchester City (2 points) - 1st on goal difference
2013/14: Arsenal (2 points) - 4th, 7 points behind 1st
2001/02: Liverpool (2 points) - 2nd, 7 points behind 1st
2008/09: Liverpool (1 point) - 2nd, 4 points behind 1st
2007/08: Arsenal (1 point) - 3rd, 4 points behind 1st

2003/04: Arsenal (1 point) - 1st, 11 points ahead of 2nd
1996/97: Arsenal (1 point) - 3rd, 7 points behind 1st
1999/00: Manchester United (1 point) - 1st, 18 points ahead of 2nd
1998/99: Manchester United (0 points) - 1st, 1 point ahead of 2nd

It's over. No way we can overcome that gap. Today was a 6 pointer and a must win.

Seems 99% done at this point. Only barring some bizarre meltdown will they not win it now.

I don't want to give up and we should not, but City really got this. City still has to win the title, but we gave/lost the title today. If they want to gift it back then great, but it is not ours to win anymore in my view. I don't think they will drop more than 11 points even and we will not win 100% of the games anyway.

Fighting to stay in top 4 and going for the cups should be the goal at the moment. Win all games and hope for the best.

I admire anyone thinking it's still on. We'll keep fighting I expect, but City are comfortably and deservedly ahead. They won't be caught, they may stumble, but they're too good not to cross the line first.

I wouldn't like to say it's over till it's mathematically over, but it's hard to find anything to cling onto that suggests we can overturn such a deficit. Even in City's bad patch (now) they've grinded out wins.

They will lose to Newcastle and Liverpool, and lose a point or two till January, so if we can win all our respective games till February it might still get interesting.

Its gonna be tough, but the huge gap might be a blessing in disguise, no pressure on us so Mou can play some attractive football and likewise, no pressure on them so maybe they will relax a bit and lose a point or two.

Its football, an injury or suspension can change a lot in a very short time.

It aint over till the fat lady sings.

Status
Not open for further replies.