The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to concede the title after today. Focus on finishing 2nd and have a good shot at the cups.

Starting to believe we'll win it now. Wins v Swansea and Spurs and we'll be in a great spot, fail to win those and today is completely undone.

You're too modest mate. We're eleven points clear. Let's be honest, the odds of us dropping points AND one of Chelsea/United being ruthless enough to fully take advantage of that is incredibly slim. We're the worst team in the league you want to be playing when even a draw isn't good enough, and anyone who wants the title off us now is going to realistically have to come to the Etihad and win.

You're too modest mate. We're eleven points clear. Let's be honest, the odds of us dropping points AND one of Chelsea/United being ruthless enough to fully take advantage of that is incredibly slim. We're the worst team in the league you want to be playing when even a draw isn't good enough, and anyone who wants the title off us now is going to realistically have to come to the Etihad and win.

The team that is top of the league at Christmas almost always wins it. City will have to have one of the worst collapses in history to not win the league from here. The question is if you beat the points record or go undefeated like Arsenal did.

They will lose to Newcastle and Liverpool, and lose a point or two till January, so if we can win all our respective games till February it might still get interesting.

Its gonna be tough, but the huge gap might be a blessing in disguise, no pressure on us so Mou can play some attractive football and likewise, no pressure on them so maybe they will relax a bit and lose a point or two.

Its football, an injury or suspension can change a lot in a very short time.

It aint over till the fat lady sings.
Newcastle are in relegation form.

They beat Liverpool 5-0 in the reverse game.

We aren't winning all our games till February either. This is just verging on delusional.

Anyone with half a brain cell knew City were going to win the title even before today's match. Optimism is one thing, but defiantly ignoring the obvious is stupid.

What bothers me more than them winning the league is just how far away we are from challenging. There can't be anymore excuses. Our owners have spent hundreds of millions, the money has been there, but it's continuously wasted. It's just not acceptable. We should be far closer to city, both in terms of points and strength of our squad, than we currently are.

It's over.

Pep has never lost the title in his second season either. He won't drop a lead this big.

It's a race for second.

I don’t think it was ever on, we simply do not have the players good enough. We are a good few shy of having a top team. I don’t think we will even finish 2nd, I will stick with my 4th prediction from before season started anything higher a bonus for me.

The title is as good as over in December. It’s not good for the PL.

Football in general needs an overhaul. The likes of city and PSG, it’s just not right. It might sound like I’m bitter but you have to feel for the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs (to name a few). Who are all trying to build a successful club and business, so they can invest in the players and win trophies but when you have clubs who just spend what they want based on zero success as a business, it’s just not a level playing field, it’s needs addressing and fast, otherwise there are going to be a lot more seasons where it’s just a top 4 battle for the clubs who actually have a budget.

They're better than us and this season was always going to be theirs. Today's result extinguishes any hope, so the silver lining is that it'll make the next few months worry-free.

I think we're a better unit than Chelsea and Tottenham, so I don't fear either of them.

Football in general needs an overhaul. The likes of city and PSG, it’s just not right. It might sound like I’m bitter but you have to feel for the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs (to name a few). Who are all trying to build a successful club and business, so they can invest in the players and win trophies but when you have clubs who just spend what they want based on zero success as a business, it’s just not a level playing field, it’s needs addressing and fast, otherwise there are going to be a lot more seasons where it’s just a top 4 battle for the clubs who actually have a budget.

its never been a level playing field

Focus in terms of the league now has to be to make sure they don't run away with it, there really isn't any other incentive

Our PL winning record in odd-numbered years is far better than even ones, anyway...

There is not a lack of money in the other premier league clubs though. It is totally silly to suggest that money is the main reason City are so dominant this season. It has been the same for many seasons though that they had a lot of it. 2 years ago people talked like ooh Leicester got a win is due to the tv money the smaller clubs get reducing the gap.

Key point I think Guardiola is the best manager in the league and he got the team with most money.

Key for smaller clubs is to manage the teams better to improve.

French league with PSG I agree more though since that gap is so gigantic.

Anyone know the maximum number of points a team winning the league has had at Christmas.

Assuming no one has a better record than City.

Anyone know the maximum number of points a team winning the league has had at Christmas.

United hold the PL record for points on Christmas Day. 52 in 1993*. Also second with 47 in 2006. City have 46 now...
*Note that that was when the PL still had 22 teams, so we'd played 21 games at that point rather than 19.

We are in fear of a City team with an average keeper, less that average defence, very good midfield and fine forwards. If you are IN FEAR of this City team you have no right to consider youself as possible EPL champions come May.

Chelsea had 52 pts after 19 games season 05/06. City need 2 wins and a draw from the next 3 games to beat that.

We are in fear of a City team with an average keeper, less that average defence, very good midfield and fine forwards. If you are IN FEAR of this City team you have no right to consider youself as possible EPL champions come May.

Strange post in light of the dominant performance from them today :confused:

I agree with mourinho here. Sounds bitter but all refs decisions this season gone on their way. Ridiculous how many points they got like that. And that is one of the reasons why this title race is over

The mod who added it removed it... didn't quite work well.
Such smart arse comments have consistently come back to bite people over the last 4 years.

I understand they are negative posters on here, but some of the negativity is based in fact and genuine doubts about our team.

It's the posters that try to come off as overly positive that have been consistently wrong over the post Sir Alex era.

I think this team has come leaps and bounds. But I never thought we were winning the league. It wasn't being negative. It was just because i could see that we were just not there yet.

Strange post in light of the dominant performance from them today :confused:

They only dominated thanks to our FEAR of them. I couldn't see anything in their game today that was to hot to handle - but José and the players could, sadly.

Such smart arse comments have consistently come back to bite people over the last 4 years.

I understand they are negative posters on here, but some of the negativity is based in fact and genuine doubts about our team.

It's the posters that try to come off as overly positive that have been consistently wrong over the post Sir Alex era.

I think this team has come leaps and bounds. But I never thought we were winning the league. It wasn't being negative. It was just because i could see that we were just not there yet.

True. Maybe some of the so caled negative posters are just being more realistic.

They deserve to win the title, said that after the Bournemouth game. They have got the luck, they have got class players who are playing to their potential and for sure they have got one of the best manager.

But this city side is far from the greatest side like some pundits and fans like Ballague are claiming it to be. They have been lucky and credit to them for making their own luck but they also need to thank the luck they have been getting. Pogba getting suspended right before the derby, Morata getting Injured in between the match, Mane red card, Lukaku gifting them a goal, Their dodgy last gasp winner against Bournemouth, two offside goals against Arsenal etc.

My whole point is this city is side is no Barca or Bayern like some fans make them look like.

I put it up a few weeks ago as a laugh, it’s not that deep.

They deserve to win the title, said that after the Bournemouth game. They have got the luck, they have got class players who are playing to their potential and for sure they have got one of the best manager.

But this city side is far from the greatest side like some pundits and fans like Ballague are claiming it to be. They have been lucky and credit to them for making their own luck but they also need to thank the luck they have been getting. Pogba getting suspended right before the derby, Morata getting Injured in between the match, Mane red card, Lukaku gifting them a goal, Their dodgy last gasp winner against Bournemouth, two offside goals against Arsenal etc.

My whole point is this city is side is no Barca or Bayern like some fans make them look like.

And don´t forget their luck in the fact that we Manchester United these days do FEAR Manchester City, which played an all important role today

I put it up a few weeks ago as a laugh, it’s not that deep.
It's above that though.

It's not a go at you. But the does seem to be element of shouting down anyone on here that is unhappy with United in one form or another.

I am fairly happy with our season. I don't think we are good enough for a title. I actually expected us to come 3rd after City and Spurs(the latter has a better squad imo). But I understand those that are unhappy.

And don´t forget their luck in the fact that we Manchester United these days do FEAR Manchester City, which played an all important role today

Yes, i feel rivals including us are giving too much respect to this city side. They are vulnerable in the back but teams are refusing to constantly attack. But the worse part is most of the 50/50 decisions have been going in their favour.

I agree. But they will get stronger. They cannot become as good as Barca because Silva, KDB and Sterling aren't Xavi, Iniesta and Messi. But they can become as good as Pep's Bayern. Maybe next season when they have back Mendy, replace Kompany aand Toure and find a replacement for Fernandinho who is 32 they will be favourites for the CL. Meanwhile players like Ederson, Stones, Sane, Jesus and Sterling will probably improve as they aren't in their prime yet. It's a formidable prospect. Jose should sign top players to be able to compete.

They actually played better than this at the home of the Champions.

Beat Liverpool 5-0.

This is just a bloody good side. Nothing wrong with giving their due plaudits.

City's defence is average at best, but we Manchester United do not have the balls to take advantage - sad really sad.

I agree. But they will get stronger. They cannot become as good as Barca because Silva, KDB and Sterling aren't Xavi, Iniesta and Messi. But they can become as good as Pep's Bayern. Maybe next season when they have back Mendy, replace Kompany aand Toure and find a replacement for Fernandinho who is 32 they will be favourites for the CL. Meanwhile players like Ederson, Stones, Sane, Jesus and Sterling will probably improve as they aren't in their prime yet. It's a formidable prospect. Jose should sign top players to be able to compete.

I don't think so unless of course they buy a Neymar or Dybala or Lewandowski. I wont deny their gameplay has been great but they have been extremely lucky. I know all teams have their luck but there are fine margins which can sometimes determine the season. Not every season would pep get this lucky and trust me I have seen teams in the past who have been much better than this and you could just say watching them that this team will dominate aka us in 2006-07 season or Barca side under pep. This city side just doesnt have it, again just my honest opinion. I remember many predicted Chelsea to dominate under conte for years to come, it was never to be , same with this city side.

Yes they will get better but so would other teams. There is nothing to say Jose won't improve us by getting another Pogba esque player. This is why I have been saying let us appreciate this city side but let us also not go over board like some spanish journalists have been going with this city side. This city side are not that great and let us not make them look like one.

Agreed. And what annoys me the most is Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs fans cheering on City for beating us.

Should concentrate on the cups now and top four. If we could win the CL it would be huge. People probably wont agree with me, but winning the CL is bigger than the PL for me.

I don't think so unless of course they buy a Neymar or Dybala or Lewandowski. I wont deny their gameplay has been great but they have been extremely lucky. I know all teams have their luck but there are fine margins which can sometimes determine the season. Not every season would pep get this lucky and trust me I have seen teams in the past who have been much better than this and you could just say watching them that this team will dominate aka us in 2006-07 season or Barca side under pep. This city side just doesnt have it, again just my honest opinion. I remember many predicted Chelsea to dominate under conte for years to come, it was never to be , same with this city side.

Yes they will get better but so would other teams. There is nothing to say Jose won't improve us by getting another Pogba esque player. This is why I have been saying let us appreciate this city side but let us also not go over board like some spanish journalists have been going with this city side. This city side are not that great and let us not make them look like one.

How could one say that they have been "extremely lucky" when they have dominated every single game and have created more chances than the opposition including the game they had to play with 10 men vs Everton? Were United lucky to win with late goals under Fergie? Or just better?

They have played Chelsea away, Napoli away and United away and won all three games. No luck here.

City are on pace to get 110 points this year. Even if they "only" wind up with 100, it would be completely futile to think we have a chance to catch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.