The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a completely different player, but no less important. I take it as a Madrid fan you were right there with Pérez shouting about how Makalele wasn't on the saame level as his Galacticos? ;)
No, everyone knew letting Makelele go was idiotic, but he was never as important as Zidane. Contrary to popular belief, it was injuries and no bench that fecked us in 03/04, not losing Makelele

No, everyone knew letting Makelele go was idiotic, but he was never as important as Zidane. Contrary to popular belief, it was injuries and no bench that fecked us in 03/04, not losing Makelele

How do you measure importance? Makelele lifted our team significantly, and your own players described him as the engine of your team. But he's not as important because he's not a goal scorer or doesn't pull out rabonas?

How do you measure importance? Makelele lifted our team significantly, and your own players described him as the engine of your team. But he's not as important because he's not a goal scorer or doesn't pull out rabonas?
He's not as important because his importance is relative to the other players on the team. If we weren't trying to stick 3 attacking midfielders and two strikers on the team we could have done just fine with a lesser DM(and again, in 03/04 we weren't worse for losing Makelele. It was injuries that did us in)

Put it this way: who'd you rather have lost from that team, Makelele or Lampard/Drogba?

He's not as important because his importance is relative to the other players on the team. If we weren't trying to stick 3 attacking midfielders and two strikers on the team we could have done just fine with a lesser DM(and again, in 03/04 we weren't worse for losing Makelele. It was injuries that did us in)

Put it this way: who'd you rather have lost from that team, Makelele or Lampard/Drogba?

I'd have to give serious consideration between Maka and Drogba.

A draw between City-United would probably suit us but I just want to see a goal fest, encounters between Pep and Mourinho have been insanely boring in recent years :boring:

Leicester City? They won the league with Kante in, he was their best player. They collapsed at the beginning of the season 2016/17 without Kante

Leicester City had a one in a billion championship season and would have crumbled with or without Kante.

A draw between City-United would probably suit us but I just want to see a goal fest, encounters between Pep and Mourinho have been insanely boring in recent years :boring:

There's always a chance that Pep may pull the handbrake for this one. The last derby at the Etihad was a bit odd, finished 0-0 and City played more conservatively than usual. It was also at the stage when United were focusing on the latter stages of the EL.

I think it's more likely he will want to attack as usual though, especially with Pogba out. Hard to guess what approach Mourinho will take, they have a great home record which he'll want to protect but it's also obviously a big chance to close the gap.

There's always a chance that Pep may pull the handbrake for this one. The last derby at the Etihad was a bit odd, finished 0-0 and City played more conservatively than usual. It was also at the stage when United were focusing on the latter stages of the EL.

I think it's more likely he will want to attack as usual though, especially with Pogba out. Hard to guess what approach Mourinho will take

We will be missing our first choice CB partnership and our best outfield player, Pep will be going for the kill.

Pogba was going to be instrumental with us winning against City, he's our most important player by a mile.

Our midfield is fecked against City now.

Amazing how many here were predicting us to get nothing from Watford and Arsenal.

Last edited:
Well we've beaten Watford, and beaten Arsenal. Now comes a completely different level in City. It's going to be very difficult, but surely we can take a lot of confidence from our last 2 victories especially. We're the only team with a 100% home record now. I'm sure we have a good enough chance at maintaining that, and the OT crowd will be up for it. All in all- setting up for a very tense encounter.

Pogba was going to be instrumental with us winning against City, he's our most important player by a mile.

He was great going forward, but he didn't cover well. Still a great miss though.

Amazing how many here were predicting us to get nothing from Watford and Arsenal.
Will admit I was one of them.
Would be a massive shame if this title race fails to ignite cause of a red card.
In the context of 2nd place, I think we can afford a draw on Sunday.

To borrow @Adisa words, it's a 'coping' mechanism'. I am a pessimist, I do it a lot.

If the opposite happens then great, if it happens as predicted then "I knew it!", or "I told you so..".

If we somehow manage to beat City, that's three massive wins in a row and I'm certain we will win the league.

We're not a one man team, contrary to popular belief, we can beat City with or without Pogba. Of course we will miss his presence on the field (who wouldn't miss one of the worlds most influential players) but we'll have to find a way to cope with it. All the best teams lose players at various points in the season "dealing with it" is part and parcel of winning the premier league.

If we lose then Pogba cannot be used as the excuse.

We're not a one man team, contrary to popular belief, we can beat City with or without Pogba. Of course we will miss his presence on the field (who wouldn't miss one of the worlds most influential players) but we'll have to find a way to cope with it. All the best teams lose players at various points in the season "dealing with it" is part and parcel of winning the premier league.

We aren't a one man team, but we are a team who consists of one man who can do things our other midfielders can't. We've seen how we perform with Herrera and Matic together. Essentially two players doing the same things.

Missing so many midfielders that we can't field a midfield 3 if we don't want to play inexperienced McTominay, plus missing our two first choice CB's and our best outfield player is plenty excuse.

As usual we are decimated by injury going in against a rival, and as usual City get's to meet a top 6 contender without their best players.

Without Pogba, we really need a Jose masterclass to win. so here's to hoping he does something like chelsea at OT last year.

For me, the important part before winning is not losing. City will face spurs mid-december and liverpool away on the 14th of january while we don't have any team from the top 6 to play before the 31st of January, all the games between now and then are winnable. it's important that the 8 points gap to city doesn't widen next week end.

As fun as it was last night, i wouldn't want Jose to set up as attacking as yesterday, not in this game. some people will say that we need to be courageous if we want to win the league. okay, but for me, we should be intelligent first. losing will put us 11 points behind, and at that point, it's almost over for me.

They still have to play:

Spurs (Home and Away) | Spurs (away) for us
Liverpool (Away) | Liverpool (Home) for us
Arsenal (Away) | Arsenal (home) for us
Chelsea (home) | Chelsea (home) for us

And a game against us at the etihad in April, we'll see about this one when it arrives.

With their form and the fatigue creeping in these last few games, they start losing points sonner rather than later. and we don't know what that would do to their form since they haven't been in that situation this year.

So, Set up to not lose first and try to win second.

After some thought, Pogba is a big miss, but not the end of the world. Huddersfield and Southampton gave them close games by defending compactly and being direct when counter attacking. Southampton definiely did enough to get a draw. City are susceptible on set pieces as well.

With the OT factor, I think it will be a good game and will play into Mourinho's hands. The crowd will back the team if they play defensively, because we don't have Pogba.

Do we have any news on the Fellaini, Bailly and Jones injuries? Would really like them to be available for the derby as I still don't trust this defense

City only need two points per game from here to get to 89 in total, which will very likely be enough. If we lose the derby, I'm afraid it's curtains. Our fortune could turn around quickly though if we manage to beat them and then Spurs take points off them as well. So much depending on the derby, hope the lads are up for it. We should kill them on set pieces and on the counter.

They always fecking win. Going to have to beat them ourselves since no one else is about to.

Straight red is 3 games by default isn't it?

It is 1 game for two yellows or straight red for a professional foul, 2 games for dissent and 3 games for dangerous tackles or violent conduct.

If City can win 15 more games and draw 1 that puts them on 89 pts (allowing for 7 losses). I think that will be enough to win the title. If United maintain their current form (2 and a third points per game) they would finish on 89 pts.

Long way to go though and next Sunday will be a huge game, I think both managers will go for the win.

Reckon the gap will be at 5 points on January 2nd.

I'd take that heading into the back end of the season. Should we find ourselves in with a shout of the title, it'll be a race akin to that of the one 13/14.

How in the name of feck have they not got one important injury this season? Mendy started well but I wouldn't say he was important in the way City were playing....

Surely it has to take it's toil playing the same team every single week on the players

Status
Not open for further replies.