The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He successfully did it away to Liverpool.
He still had room to do it back then. He doesn't know. Gaining 8 points on this city side is already almost impossible. 10 means the title race is over. There's nothing to gain by playing for the draw

Supports: Man City

Conveniently ignores 13 years of a manager's career to focus on 2.5 years. Of those 2.5 years, one was when he lost the dressing room and another year was when he played 2nd string sides to rest players for Europa League.

I merely pointed out that in his last 10 attempts he's won not a single game and managed to score a sum total of one goal in the 10 matches. Those as the bald stats. I think it's "convenient" to come up with Europa League or other excuses.

FWIW, I think you will win at the weekend. Arsenal are the biggest bottlers in the league and Lacazette out and Sanchez doubtful. Ozil won't turn up since it's an important game. I expect you to win and as I say, Mourinho is due a win against a top 6 club away. His not winning streak cannot go on forever.

Oh look another non united fan with barely any posts on the WUM.

If you actually read my post i said a high chance of a draw specifically because that's what has happened most times in the past at the emirates. I'm not delusional to think Utd can walk over Arsenal at the emirates. It'll be a tough game.
To be fair mate, these responses from City and other fans come after one of yours said, "In the last 10 years or so I never gave Arsenal games a thought. We’ve got their number it will be a formality."

After precisely zero Mourinho wins at the Emirates, a formality it is not, as you rightly point out. Though I do think you'll win, strangely.

We're on for 87 points based on our first 14 games. We really are having an excellent season so far. Its just a shame that city havd bren so good. There is a long way to go, but after recent seasons i'm just glad most of our rivals are looking up at us, rather than the other way around.

To be fair mate, these responses from City and other fans come after one of yours said, "In the last 10 years or so I never gave Arsenal games a thought. We’ve got their number it will be a formality."

After precisely zero* Mourinho wins at the Emirates, a formality it is not, as you rightly point out. Though I do think you'll win, strangely.

*one

Is it? I was simply going off what I read above a few minutes ago. If it's one, I stand corrected.

FWIW, our (City's) record at the Emirates is pretty shocking as well.

To be fair it was against a less than full strength Arsenal in a League Cup quarter final.

He still had room to do it back then. He doesn't know. Gaining 8 points on this city side is already almost impossible. 10 means the title race is over. There's nothing to gain by playing for the draw
For United, correct. But what about Mourinho and his ego? Why do I feel he'd rather not lose to Wenger, and therefore play for the dead? :wenger:

For United, correct. But what about Mourinho and his ego? Why do I feel he'd rather not lose to Wenger, and therefore play for the dead? :wenger:

Even drawing to Wenger would damage Jose's ego. His whole career has revolved around making Wenger look like a dud. Think we'll beat Arsenal, it's City I'm worried about.

I have to say I really think many people are getting way ahead of themselves. We are 8 points ahead FFS, not 18. It could very, very easily have been only 6 points until Sterling's goal on 95 minutes.

Mourinho is many things, but panicker, he is not. He will want to keep City within reach and hope to catch us over the run in. We are bound to drop points and United traditionally finish strongly. Therefore i do not think either the Arsenal or the City games are "must win" for United. They certainly are must not lose, however. Even if you draw with Arsenal and City, you'll be a maximum of 10 points back - maybe less if we drop points against West Ham. 10 point leads have been overhauled before. But lose the Arsenal and/or City games and it could be 11, 12, 13 points behind and that is starting to look like game over.

So I think he'll play his usual defensively tight, conservative game plan, trying to nick a goal or two on the break and hopefully (for you) get 3 points, but settling for a point if needs be.

A point at the Emirates won't be bad but will make it obligatory to win the derby with City.

A point at the Emirates won't be bad but will make it obligatory to win the derby with City.
I am not so sure. 10 points back would not imo be unsurmountable. 13 might be.

Going back to the 90s even, I've always felt that if we are 10 points or less behind going into the New Year, then we've always been in good stead to still be able to mount a challenge.

In reality, two draws (despite a probable meltdown here) is not the end of the world for us at this point, a win and a loss also is a decent enough return.

I'm just glad that we seem to be in the hunt still and are not just chasing a top four spot at the moment, it's clear progress.

If Mourinho settled for the draw tomorrow he should be back. When he drew with Liverpool he was level on points with City. Now he is 8 points behind.

If Mourinho settled for the draw tomorrow he should be back. When he drew with Liverpool he was level on points with City. Now he is 8 points behind.

Think with Matic and Fellaini both most likely missing out we'll struggle. Those two would have been crucial against you lot.

Take your home form and our away form into mind as well, and I really can't see anything but a draw at best.

Think with Matic and Fellaini both most likely missing out we'll struggle. Those two would have been crucial against you lot.

Take your home form and our away form into mind as well, and I really can't see anything but a draw at best.
Matic is surely a big miss, but you still have to try to win the game.

Matic is surely a big miss, but you still have to try to win the game.

Of course, but knowing Mourinho he won't risk losing the game due to chasing the win. If our attackers produce and we get a goal or two he will sit back, and if we are tied we will probably still mostly counter.

He won't ever change. Not complaining, just saying how it is.

Of course, but knowing Mourinho he won't risk losing the game due to chasing the win. If our attackers produce and we get a goal or two he will sit back, and if we are tied we will probably still mostly counter.

I am just saying this because i hope for a great game. I know he will never change.

Don't see it myself. We need to win this game imo, think he'll feel the same way. We are already chasing behind. At least I hope so

I am just saying this because i hope for a great game. I know he will never change.

After you came out of the closet as a secret United supporter during your miniature-meltdown you should be wishing for us to win so we can put pressure on the plastics ;)

After you came out of the closet as a secret United supporter during your miniature-meltdown you should be wishing for us to win so we can put pressure on the plastics ;)
I want to win this game to cement the 4th place, but i don't like Guardiola that much either. Difficult situation :lol:

I don't know what you are implying?

Teams have twice come from 12 points back to win the league. In fact Arsenal did it against United, and finished winners with 2 games to spare!

I am not so sure. 10 points back would not imo be unsurmountable. 13 might be.
I’d be very comfortable coming out of the derby with a 10 point lead. We’d have played both United and Chelsea away (the two closest chasers), and have a strong lead worth over 3 losses, baring in mind they’d still have to play each other once as well.

I don't know what you are implying?

Teams have twice come from 12 points back to win the league. In fact Arsenal did it against United, and finished winners with 2 games to spare!

If we draw with Arsenal and beat you we'll be 7 points off you, provided that you beat Wham. Won't be that bad for us. Therefore, drawing with Arsenal isn't necessarily bad.

If we draw with Arsenal and beat you we'll be 7 points off you, provided that you beat Wham. Won't be that bad for us. Therefore, drawing with Arsenal isn't necessarily bad.
No but the poster said drawing with Arsenal would mean you had to beat us, suggesting that if you didn’t the gap would be at least 10 or 13 depending on a draw or loss. Ronetta said 10 wouldnt be a disaster but 13 could be a push too far. Nothing to do with 7 points.

No but the poster said drawing with Arsenal would mean you had to beat us, suggesting that if you didn’t the gap would be at least 10 or 13 depending on a draw or loss. Ronetta said 10 wouldnt be a disaster but 13 could be a push too far. Nothing to do with 7 points.

Drawing with Arsenal wouldn't be bad IF we beat City. Is that clear or you need further clarification? The reply of your City mate didn't grasp my point.

Btw, if City win the next two games, it's practically over. 11 pts or more plus a far superior GD would mean that City will have to collapse at some point for the other contenders to overtake them: to lose 4 games or draw 6 while the other contenders win and they have to win also when City win. Not impossible but a bit unlikely.

Drawing with Arsenal wouldn't be bad IF we beat City. Is that clear or you need further clarification? The reply of your City mate didn't grasp my point.

it would be better if we beat arsenal first and draw with City unless we may win game luckily that'll give us 6 points? The city is not like arsenal, they are on another level compared to Arsenal. Arsenal is one we can try beat first to secure our point safety.

it would be better if we beat arsenal first and draw with City unless we may win game luckily that'll give us 6 points? The city is not like arsenal, they are on another level compared to Arsenal. Arsenal is one we can try beat first to secure our point safety.

Not really.

3 pts vs Arsenal and 1 pt vs City will mean that they will preserve their 8 pts lead (they will probably beat Wham).

1 pt vs Arsenal and 3 pts vs City will reduce their lead to 7 pts. Which wouldn't be that bad given that Spurs could take something from them.

We have all our home games so far. Very tight to predict though.

The loss of Matic could prove costly for us and his probable replacement, Herrera, is not races this season as yet. As good a time as any to find some form should he get picked though.

I'd gladly accept a draw all things considered.

The loss of Matic could prove costly for us and his probable replacement, Herrera, is not races this season as yet. As good a time as any to find some form should he get picked though.

I'd gladly accept a draw all things considered.
If you beat City next week you might even afford to draw.

Not really.

3 pts vs Arsenal and 1 pt vs City will mean that they will preserve their 8 pts lead (they will probably beat Wham).

1 pt vs Arsenal and 3 pts vs City will reduce their lead to 7 pts. Which wouldn't be that bad given that Spurs could take something from them.

Yeah, but we can't predict if we are going to win a game at home against City. if we are only there for a point at Arsenal, it's not 100% certain that we would beat City, there's a small chance for us to beat them as much as they do but they are favourites, they would be 11 points ahead assuming we draw or 13 if we lose against the City, they have nothing to lose. That's why I said its better if we beat arsenal first.

Status
Not open for further replies.