The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, people are worried about Arsenal game? The master tactician that is Wenger will probably screw things up from the team selection leaving Sanchez, Ozil and Lacazette on the bench and starting with Iwobi, Giroud and Elneny.

In the last 10 years or so I never gave Arsenal games a thought. We’ve got their number it will be a formality. I’m just pumped for City!
We won at the Emirates exactly once in the last five seasons, and that was the game when we were totally outplayed, De Gea saved our asses over and over again and then we got a flukey goal out of the blue against the run of play.

Calling it a formality is arrogant at best, deluded at worst.

No reason to get any dolls out, I didn't think we'd win the title before the season even started. To simply use other seasons as a way to determine how the season goes isn't right though. For example, City over the past few games have started looking leggy and we aren't even into the most difficult part of the season yet. Like I said, there's a lot of factors that could turn the tide. Two losses and we are only 2 points behind. Injuries, fatigue, focusing on the CL etc. all are factors which could turn things around. It's not as easy to play a full strength team in the CL then play the same team in the PL only a few days later. The weather and physicality along with no break results in players getting knackered.

Like I said, I expect them to win - but I don't see it being as straightforward as you suggest.

The problem with City is when they look leggy or have an off day, that drop alone is still enough for them to pick up the points and win as they keep doing.

Whereas if the surrounding teams have off days, they most likely drop points.

One of them was wondering whether he was happy that Messi extended his contract or he'd have preferred to see him move to City under Pep. Once you see posts like that, nothing about them surprises you anymore.
:lol:

Lads, come on! Remember less than a month ago all the press talk was about Spurs being the only realistic challenge to Sir Pep of Guardolia. Leaving London a cess pit full of washed up teams … how did that work out? Arsenal and Chelsea doing great now and Spurs can't seem to get it together since we saw them off (I'm excluding West Ham fans who can ring 0800–DONTCHUCKBOTTLESATUS).

City have actually struggled recently (at home) to win two very winnable games, on paper, while only (admittedly, like potential champions) managing to secure the points late on.

We can't stop that sort of steamrollering until we have a chance to ourselves.

We have that very chance in about 10 days time and I'm sure, like Chelsea at home last year – it's been all that has absorbed Jose for about a month or so now.

Spurs have struggled against almost everyone since we beat them. Who says City won't start doubting themselves if we do the same to them too?

Of course … we have to beat them … but that's why we've got Jose isn't it?

2:0

Beat them at OT and it's game on, if we lose then it's fair to say its game over.

Jose needs to start with the mind games, one area where he's indisputably stronger than Pep. Maybe he's waiting to see if we can get in striking distance pf them first.

Lads, come on! Remember less than a month ago all the press talk was about Spurs being the only realistic challenge to Sir Pep of Guardolia. Leaving London a cess pit full of washed up teams … how did that work out? Arsenal and Chelsea doing great now and Spurs can't seem to get it together since we saw them off (I'm excluding West Ham fans who can ring 0800–DONTCHUCKBOTTLESATUS).

City have actually struggled recently (at home) to win two very winnable games, on paper, while only (admittedly, like potential champions) managing to secure the points late on.

We can't stop that sort of steamrollering until we have a chance to ourselves.

We have that very chance in about 10 days time and I'm sure, like Chelsea at home last year – it's been all that has absorbed Jose for about a month or so now.

Spurs have struggled against almost everyone since we beat them. Who says City won't start doubting themselves if we do the same to them too?

Of course … we have to beat them … but that's why we've got Jose isn't it?

2:0

Jose's got a shocking record vs Pep in comparison to say someone like Klopp. Played 19, won 4, drew 7, lost 8.

One of them was wondering whether he was happy that Messi extended his contract or he'd have preferred to see him move to City under Pep. Once you see posts like that, nothing about them surprises you anymore.
Oh dear :lol:

Jose's got a shocking record vs Pep in comparison to say someone like Klopp. Played 19, won 4, drew 7, lost 8.

'Course he does. Whether it is Inter vs Barca, Real vs Barca, or United vs City, Pep's always had the better and more settled teams.

'Course he does. Whether it is Inter vs Barca, Real vs Barca, or United vs City, Pep's always had the better and more settled teams.

Marginally worse teams, but in comparison Klopp for example has 5 wins 1 draw and 5 losses in 11 games with far worse teams than Jose had v Pep. Thats not to say Jose in incapable of winning the derby just he hasn't got the record v Pep to suggest he was brought in to beat him.

We won at the Emirates exactly once in the last five seasons, and that was the game when we were totally outplayed, De Gea saved our asses over and over again and then we got a flukey goal out of the blue against the run of play.

Calling it a formality is arrogant at best, deluded at worst.

Mourinho's away record against the top six:

P10 W0 D5 L5 GF1 GA12 GD -11

Yes, I'd say calling it a formality is deluded. You may of course win, Mourinho hasn't won away against a top 6 club in 2.5 years, so a win is due.

Mourinho's away record against the top six:

P10 W0 D5 L5 GF1 GA12 GD -11

Yes, I'd say calling it a formality is deluded. You may of course win, Mourinho hasn't won away against a top 6 club in 2.5 years, so a win is due.

Supports: Man City

Conveniently ignores 13 years of a manager's career to focus on 2.5 years. Of those 2.5 years, one was when he lost the dressing room and another year was when he played 2nd string sides to rest players for Europa League.

Supports: Man City

Conveniently ignores 13 years of a manager's career to focus on 2.5 years. Of those 2.5 years, one was when he lost the dressing room and another year was when he played 2nd string sides to rest players for Europa League.

We weren't doing that for the entirety of last season and to suggest we were would be trying to excuse what really wasn't a particularly good league season last year. Obviously Mourinho's career stretches back further than the past two years but it's undeniably true since he's come here that he really doesn't know how to get his side to score goals or win games away from home when we're against similarly matched sides. Obviously due to home advantage going away and getting wins isn't easy and very few managers will emerge with a superb record, but since he's come here we've barely even scored when playing away to the top six. Hopefully we can turn it around against Arsenal but it's a problem that shouldn't be ignored.

We weren't doing that for the entirety of last season and to suggest we were would be trying to excuse what really wasn't a particularly good league season last year. Obviously Mourinho's career stretches back further than the past two years but it's undeniably true since he's come here that he really doesn't know how to get his side to score goals or win games away from home when we're against similarly matched sides. Obviously due to home advantage going away and getting wins isn't easy and very few managers will emerge with a superb record, but since he's come here we've barely even scored when playing away to the top six. Hopefully we can turn it around against Arsenal but it's a problem that shouldn't be ignored.

Absolutely. I think Jose gets leeway for Spurs and Arsenal last season since then we'd progressed into the later rounds of the Europa, but we didn't score a single goal against Liverpool, Chelsea or City away when the league was still viable.

The trend has continued into this season apparently, as we've played 2 away games to top 6 rivals yet not scored in either one. Hopefully we break that against Arsenal.

You talk about Pep vs. Josè, but you have to beat us first. We are quite good at home this season.

Truthfully I'm more concerned about the Arsenal game than the City one. They're excellent but at home I think we're more than capable of beating anyone in the league. Our away form in big games has been grim though and unless there's a sudden change we'll probably struggle to get more than a point away to you.

Truthfully I'm more concerned about the Arsenal game than the City one. They're excellent but at home I think we're more than capable of beating anyone in the league. Our away form in big games has been grim though and unless there's a sudden change we'll probably struggle to get more than a point away to you.
And Wenger only beats Josè in the league last season. Probably a draw in the end.

You talk about Pep vs. Josè, but you have to beat us first. We are quite good at home this season.

Mourinho vs Wenger record speaks for itself. The only loss in the PL is last season when we rested many important players.

I say there's a high chance of a draw, and a small chance for a Utd win. Mourinho was able to get a comfortable 0-0 vs City away last season. Can you say that Arsenal are a better attacking force than City last season? Probably not.

Mourinho vs Wenger record speaks for itself. The only loss in the PL is last season when we rested many important players.

I say there's a high chance of a draw, and a small chance for a Utd win. Mourinho was able to get a comfortable 0-0 vs City away last season. Can you say that Arsenal are a better attacking force than City last season? Probably not.

City weren't that great last season, probably not miles ahead of where Arsenal are now.

Lacazette is injured, who is very good at home. Massive injury for them.

Yeah true. Definitely think we can go there and take a point but getting all three will be very tough and is unlikely. Especially if Mourinho sets up to take a point.

Mourinho won't set up to take a point. He can't and he knows it

I don't see us playing for a draw on Saturday. Mourinho has handed out some serious beatings to Arsenal over the years and I reckon he'll be looking for another comfortable win. His hatred for Wenger is strong and he knows how to beat him.

But as far as this fixture is concerned the only stat that matters is how many times have Mourinho teams won at the Emirates. The answer is 0

But as far as this fixture is concerned the only stat that matters is how many times have Mourinho teams won at the Emirates. The answer is 0
No as far as this fixture is concerned the only stat that matters is the score on Saturday. At the end of the day everything else is history.

Oh look another non united fan with barely any posts on the WUM.

If you actually read my post i said a high chance of a draw specifically because that's what has happened most times in the past at the emirates. I'm not delusional to think Utd can walk over Arsenal at the emirates. It'll be a tough game.

We can beat City. With stones getting injured I'm more confident. Kompany is terrible and his awfulness affects Otamendi's level. City's build up is a lot worse.

Oh look another non united fan with barely any posts on the WUM.

If you actually read my post i said a high chance of a draw specifically because that's what has happened most times in the past at the emirates. I'm not delusional to think Utd can walk over Arsenal at the emirates. It'll be a tough game.
Fair enough. Mourinho has always played it safe away from home, often when he's even had a superior team. This is the first time in a long time that I expect him to try for the victory because of the pace city have set. In many ways, the result of this match would be an indication of the wisdom of his approach. If he makes it a fair contest and they win, we could see him be bolder in subsequent matches against the top 6 away. On the other hand if you lose then he might retreat further into his shell.
Mourinhos tactics will be the only unknown though, we all know what Wengers going to do.

No as far as this fixture is concerned the only stat that matters is the score on Saturday. At the end of the day everything else is history.
True, but then the poster I quoted was going on about Mourinhos record against Wenger. I think it's a lot more suggestive that Mourinho never went for more than a draw at the Emirates, even when he had stronger teams at his disposal as his overall record against Wenger indicates.

I think this thread is a little premature. i don't think the title race should be discussed before at least a couple of months.
Not over yet points will be dropped. City have had a bit of luck in last 2 games, should have been draws, it's a long season. We just have to keep winning games can't do no more .

Last edited by a moderator:
True, but then the poster I quoted was going on about Mourinhos record against Wenger. I think it's a lot more suggestive that Mourinho never went for more than a draw at the Emirates, even when he had stronger teams at his disposal as his overall record against Wenger indicates.
It is his MO away against the top 6 sides.

Chances are the points gap will be widened this weekend, best case is we keep it at 8.

Usually when you're only scraping your wins it means dropped points are on the horizon, and while I think that's the case for City, West Ham at the Etihad certainly aren't the start of it.

I think the points gap will be too much to close, even when they do start dropping points, it's going to take a hell of a run from us to overtake them.

It depends on how we turn up. It's always our problem. Hopefully the win against Tottenham has given us a great confidence boost in a big game.

Status
Not open for further replies.