The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
meaning resting de bruyne against weaker oppo will not be that detremental when you consider the replacements are gundogan and bernardo silva

I suppose you could also add in the young lad foden
It is the same like we say that it is not matter if pogba or martial are injured. We have fellaini and lingard. So now gundogan and silva and even foden are class. This is becoming ridiculous here. Giving praise to certain players and club is one thing but how things with city are going here, soon they will have 25 world class players.

Ye Silva has been great, but he's been one of the best players in the prem for years now, so it's hardly surprising. Also as good as he is, I still think they'd miss KDB more if he was to go missing than Silva. KDB is involved in everything for them.
So is Silva, he's actually more essential to their possession game than KDB.

It is the same like we say that it is not matter if pogba or martial are injured. We have fellaini and lingard. So now gundogan and silva and even foden are class. This is becoming ridiculous here. Giving praise to certain players and club is one thing but how things with city are going here, soon they will have 25 world class players.
Are you implying that they aren't ? Both players (especially B. Silva) will probably be starters in any other team that isn't Man City, RM or Psg right now

Nothing is guaranteed. You can't account for possible injuries to key players at key times, loss of form, fatigue etc. They look like they're going to run away with it and I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

They've cut things close more than a few times this season already and have had some luck on their side imo. The last minute goals etc. can't continue for the whole season.
Would love to see how they are gonna respond to their first defeat of the season because they are gonna surely lose 1 game at a certain time.

Are you implying that they aren't ? Both players (especially B. Silva) will probably be starters in any other team that isn't Man City, RM or Psg right now
:lol::lol:. Exactly my point. Few more games and ederson will be in top 3 gk in the world.
What those two did this season to justify that remark? Silva has one goal and one assist. Couple of solo flashes. Same goes with gundogan.
As i said, i don't have any problem to praise oppo players or team. But pure admiration here for city, our direct rival and their players is just embarrassing. Yesterday sane, de bruyne, aguero got more praise on caf than they got from their fans.

:lol::lol:. Exactly my point. Few more games and ederson will be in top 3 gk in the world.
What those two did this season to justify that remark? Silva has one goal and one assist. Couple of solo flashes. Same goes with gundogan.
As i said, i don't have any problem to praise oppo players or team. But pure admiration here for city, our direct rival and their players is just embarrassing. Yesterday sane, de bruyne, aguero got more praise on caf than they got from their fans.

There was a massive meltdown when City signed B.Silva, the impression was that he was a future balondor winner and the 'perfect' player for our attack. To be honest, B.Silva looks to be like a younger Juan Mata. Definitely not a player that has the passing visions and reading of the game like Kdb or Silva.

Bernardo Silva has immense potential, still gutted we didn't get him for so cheap. He hasn't settled yet but once he does he'll be one of the best players in the league.

What would we be saying if Jose treated Silva like this?
Hell he was the devil for benching Mkhi for so long, look how that narrative was quickly thrown out the window.

I would have to agree with this, there is never quite the same rhythm to City's play when he is not on the pitch. The best recent example is when he came on for the last 20 mins in Naples, it was a masterclass in keeping possession. De Bruyne's style is a bit more high risk so although he still obviously has a very big influence in matches he doesn't quite dictate possession with the level of calmness that Silva does.

Reactions: Penna
Bernardo Silva has immense potential, still gutted we didn't get him for so cheap. He hasn't settled yet but once he does he'll be one of the best players in the league.

Doesn't really say much does it. There's talk in this thread that he's a no.8 like Silva or Kdb which is just not true. I've watched him play many times and he seems much more comfortable starting wide and cutting inside.

I would have him in a heartbeat on our right wing because he is a very good player that would be an upgrade on Mata since Mata has declined since his Chelsea days. But he would be on the bench as a midfielder for both United and Chelsea and probably Spurs.

Doesn't really say much does it. There's talk in this thread that he's a no.8 like Silva or Kdb which is just not true. I've watched him play many times and he seems much more comfortable starting wide and cutting inside.

I would have him in a heartbeat on our right wing because he is a very good player that would be an upgrade on Mata since Mata has declined since his Chelsea days. But he would be on the bench as a midfielder for both United and Chelsea and probably Spurs.

That I agree with, he seems better out wide for me. He'd start for us as a number 10 too though tbf. As a CM though he wouldn't start for us.

That I agree with, he seems better out wide for me. He'd start for us as a number 10 too though tbf. As a CM though he wouldn't start for us.

Well yeah because our no.10s are a bit crap :D

Watching him so far this season, I'm pretty certain that he'll play more in midfield than out wide. He looks far more comfortable on the ball when in the middle, though you could argue that he had the peak of his little career so far playing wide right for Monaco, but at the same time he was playing in a pure counter attacking setup, contrary to now's juego de posicion.

He's exquisite in flashes, but at times he plays it very-very safe, which IMO suggests that he's still getting used to the role. Sane was given a similar bedding period last season and it worked really well for him. So I won't be surprised if you see a different B.Silva at the dawn of this season and the following one.

So how's the title race going? Or have we give up on that and discuss future ballon d'or? :lol:

Of course they are class. Absolute streets ahead of Fellaini and Lingard any way you look at it. Gundogan in particular.

Time for Jose and the team to step up, no more predictable going through the motions in away games leading to shit results. If this team wants to be taken seriously then winning our next two would put down a huge marker before the Derby. I'd take 4 points as long as performances are good and are followed by Derby win.

The ideal scenario would be us being 6 points behind them before the derby. if we manage to win our next to game and they somehow drew one of the two. it would put us in an ideal scenario for the derby.

The team just needs to step up and manage 6 points from the next two games, that's extremely important.

Comparing Gundogan and B Silva to Lindgard & Fellaini :wenger::wenger::wenger::wenger:

So how's the title race going? Or have we give up on that and discuss future ballon d'or? :lol:

According to some of the fans on this forum, Man City have already won it, so we might as well close the shop now and rest all our first 11 players for CL.

If gundogan was in our squad he would be absolutely detested on this forum.

I see it like Pellegrini's season at Real Madrid. Led them to their best league season ever in terms of points but got sacked because Barcelona happened to be even better that year.

The ideal scenario would be us being 6 points behind them before the derby. if we manage to win our next to game and they somehow drew one of the two. it would put us in an ideal scenario for the derby.

The team just needs to step up and manage 6 points from the next two games, that's extremely important.
No, the ideal scenario is that you win at least 21 of your 25 games left

In the meantime, start breaking out the voodoo dolls

I see it like Pellegrini's season at Real Madrid. Led them to their best league season ever in terms of points but got sacked because Barcelona happened to be even better that year.
No, Pellegrini was sacked because of Alcorcon, Milan, Lyon and the clasicos

Hugely important win for us tonight. Probably should've scored more and their two strikes took the gloss ever-so-slightly off the performance, but a big three points nonetheless. A repeat v Arsenal at the weekend would set us up nicely for the Derby.

That's one important game down for the week. Tremendous result. If we can do that at the Arsenal, that derby game is going to be something else.

City just need to keep doing their business to the derby, then avoid defeat on the day. Easy. :angel:

Can we let this thread die a quick death please?

A title charge was still far too early for us this season, I even thought it back in August and I bet you even Jose knows it deep down.

We have a great spine but still need to add a few before we can go toe to toe with City.

The Bitters are on another level (petrol station) to the rest of the league right now.

Interesting stat on Reddit: Only 3 of SAF's title winning teams had more points than Utd at this stage. All things considered United is having a pretty good season so far, it's just that City have had an insanely good start so far but I doubt they can keep it up.

Southampton looked pretty good at the weekend, albeit against a rancid Everton side. Stranger things have happened...

I think that's the key here unfortunately.

Although, ironically enough, Everton are the only side to have taken points off City...

Football is indeed a funny game.

Come on Saints tomorrow! City are massive favorites, but Sains have previously been good against bigger teams. Granted they have been kind of crap so far this season, but maybe after last 4-1 win they could find some form.

Austin back could be a factor although not sure he will be able to keep it up against City apart from on set pieces. He should be fresh though I guess.

It would be nice if we could get closer before the derby. Don't want to put my faith in David Moyes stopping them so Saints it is!

Interesting stat on Reddit: Only 3 of SAF's title winning teams had more points than Utd at this stage. All things considered United is having a pretty good season so far, it's just that City have had an insanely good start so far but I doubt they can keep it up.

I hope they can't, but we have seen Pep teams getting around 100 points before so he could do it again. Still though you hope they would slip up at some point.

Some of our fans here will lose their minds if we finish 2nd or 3rd and will want Mourinho to get fired.
Are you saying the same guys drooling over all things City would find it completely unacceptable that we are second to them?

Yeah, I can see that.

The only realistic chance to catch City is that they decide to focus on the Champions League at a certain point.

I think there's a lot of overreaction. The gap is only 5 points (perhaps 8 tonight). It will only take a few injuries and/or suspensions to derail the current momentum. Plus, we've had many games where we could have drawn. And as you've mentioned with Champions League, Pep has been fielding a strong team every game, and it seems he intends to win every single game.

The current narrative could have been completely different if not for one or two events. In saying all that, I think the derby will be a major contributor as to how things may end.

Status
Not open for further replies.