The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jose’s not great at chasing down leagues (has he ever done it before?). But the champions league is a realistic target, it’s the most open I can remember it, and we have a manager who knows how to win it, by hook or by crook. The league isn’t gone, but giving Pep an 8 point headstart with that team is just careless on our part.

8 points to go with 26 to play, yeah we will need to win our all remaining games to beat City. But oh wait, they will win theirs too (except for 2 against us, coz yeah I stated us before) so City will win by 2 points.
What load of crap, they are undoubtedly Superior to us but 1 result/injury can change that. We felt the same with Pogba/Liverpool and they all are humans, could happen to City too.
Lets talk about it after atleast 25-27 games in, even then it could change (like us with an 8 pt gap with 5 games to go).

It's strange how so many folk adverse to talking about title challenges this early in the season can't seem to stop themselves from talking about title challenges this early in the season.

Mad.

I still think the race is on, sure City have a good points advantage yet they have just lost Stones what if Kompany or another player gets injured.
Both Chelsea and United have had injury problems to important players and that is now being rectified.

As well as the big matches vs Utd, Spurs and Liverpool let's not forget those teams after xmas trying to stay up that will put 10 men behind the ball.

Conclusion, its all still to play for.

It will reflect badly on the PL if Pep wins the title in the same way he did in Germany.
At the moment it looks like that we are going to witness the earliest title win in PL history.

It will reflect badly on the PL if Pep wins the title in the same way he did in Germany.
At the moment it looks like that we are going to witness the earliest title win in PL history.

Earliest means what ? I don't think any team can win the title any earlier than 34th or 35th week. Chelsea won 13 games in a row last season and still won the league by their 36th game. Last SAF season we won it before its end by 4 games.

That's what I meant. Imagine City being crowned champions with 6 matches still to be played.
United have done it with 5 matches still to be played.

Why would it reflect badly?

the PL survived the 99/00 season without imploding.

Is there something wrong if City win it by a large margin in a vastly more competitive league?

It would question the competitiveness of the league, wouldn't it?

There has not been a proper title race for the past 3 seasons. Chelsea and Leicester were comfortable winners when they won.

The allure of the premiere league is that smaller teams do not give up, and the pace of the league. Competitiveness of the league is not based on who wins, but based on what happens within a game. Big teams usually win, but the smaller teams give a good account of themselves.

A lot of foreign players and managers have said that they were surprised by the response of smaller teams when they are chasing the game. They try to throw the kitchen sink instead of giving up when they are 2 or 3 nil down.

Over 1 year? No, especially if coupled with strong performances of the other teams in the league and in Europe.

The vast quantities of liquidity available to the PL teams, (all the way down), mean you can get some decent players relatively cheaply, get them playing well, have a bit of luck and win the league. Ask mr lineker’s fitness trainer.

It’s unlikely, but it still happened - maybe Ranieri was on a mission from god.
There is no way that would have happened in 99/00 era - the top 4 was almost completely static for a decade.

United have Brighton (h), Watford (a)and Arsenal ( a) before we play City at O.T.

City have Huddersfield (a), Southampton (h) and Westham (h) before us.
So I think with those coming fixtures we will know whether we can keep challenging or not IMO we have very very 2 difficult games away before City Watford are doing just great with their Portuguese manager and they are not easy to beat at home, while Arsenal the past few seasons we couldn't get a win at the Emirates it's very important to win those games as City seems can win theirs easily before coming to us, I think we are the only team that can beat them but any scrambling before this game will make the job even harder.
Thoughts? Any one think that City can drop points before the derby?

Its city's title to loose sadly,that disastrous loss at Huddersfield feck us up.
I think even if they go through an inevitable bad patch,the others will not be too consistent to take advantage.

Not overly fused on the title, I'm just glad we are finally improving under Mourinho..one step at a time.

Its city's title to loose sadly,that disastrous loss at Huddersfield feck us up.
I think even if they go through an inevitable bad patch,the others will not be too consistent to take advantage.

Not overly fused on the title, I'm just glad we are finally improving under Mourinho..one step at a time.

This.

Seriously, if city goes on to win the title by winning all the games then you have to hold your hands up and say they deserve it. There is no way the expectations is for United to win ALL our games this season, and I do not even have an expectation that we can do that next season.

We are already leaps and bounds relative to the 3 seasons post SAF. I am not sure all these whinging about 8 points of the top is warranted. I know we do throw a lot of money to our problems, but until we reach that stage where we can throw 100 million pounds to fix our fullbacks issues then I will refrain from questioning why we can't win all our games.

It's a one team title race until city decide otherwise. Just like Chelsea last season, when a team wins that convincingly with any weakness on either side of the ball then it's only a matter of time. In fact, I'm pretty sure that after the Derby we'll be further behind them than we already are.

8 points to go with 26 to play, yeah we will need to win our all remaining games to beat City. But oh wait, they will win theirs too (except for 2 against us, coz yeah I stated us before) so City will win by 2 points.
What load of crap, they are undoubtedly Superior to us but 1 result/injury can change that. We felt the same with Pogba/Liverpool and they all are humans, could happen to City too.
Lets talk about it after atleast 25-27 games in, even then it could change (like us with an 8 pt gap with 5 games to go).
No. One result/injury can't change all that. Have you not been paying attention ? Look at their squad depth.

Also as the history books show (and was pointed out in this very thread) .... no team having an 8 point lead after 12 games has ever failed to win the title in the PL era.

I still think the race is on, sure City have a good points advantage yet they have just lost Stones what if Kompany or another player gets injured.
Both Chelsea and United have had injury problems to important players and that is now being rectified.

As well as the big matches vs Utd, Spurs and Liverpool let's not forget those teams after xmas trying to stay up that will put 10 men behind the ball.

Conclusion, its all still to play for.
You forget to mention that all of the above applies to every other team as well.

United have Brighton (h), Watford (a)and Arsenal ( a) before we play City at O.T.

City have Huddersfield (a), Southampton (h) and Westham (h) before us.
So I think with those coming fixtures we will know whether we can keep challenging or not IMO we have very very 2 difficult games away before City Watford are doing just great with their Portuguese manager and they are not easy to beat at home, while Arsenal the past few seasons we couldn't get a win at the Emirates it's very important to win those games as City seems can win theirs easily before coming to us, I think we are the only team that can beat them but any scrambling before this game will make the job even harder.
Thoughts? Any one think that City can drop points before the derby?
They can ... but they won't, and the gap will be 10 or more points (to United, not sure what Chelsea have in store, except a trip to Anfield next week is a massive game now) by the time of the Manchester derby.

Last edited:
You forget to mention that all of the above applies to every other team as well.

really hope teams stick ten behind the ball, this season we've not had a problem with that, the only times we've had issues is when teams actually attack us

Personally, I think City are a far better team than us in general, but I'm not writing us off for the title just yet.

The Manchester derbies are going to be huge. Really hope Jose can get us a win in those.

We'll have to beat City twice probably.

Will be tough. I just hope Jose has something up in his bag.

We'll have to beat City twice probably.

Will be tough. I just hope Jose has something up in his bag.

He will be preparing the mind games for those matches and when the time comes notice his comments with digs at City or Pepe will start to appear in the press.

Up.

Wanted to say earlier I'm struggling to find a single reason anyone here will put Spurs more favorite than anyone to challenge City, even some put them already as a second spot in the league. They're currently at a threat of being kicked out of the top 4 if Arsenal wins tomorrow.

They had some stinkers this season but they're still always favorite it's quite strange for me.

Nice to open a gap again between us and the teams behind so that we only concentrate on City. We just need them to lose any points before the next derby.

Last edited:
After 13 games and assuming linear progression, we are projected for 85 points at the end of the season.

((38*3) - ((38/13)*((13*3)-29)) = 85

After 13 games and assuming linear progression, we are projected for 85 points at the end of the season.

((38*3) - ((38/13)*((13*3)-29)) = 85
Yeah. Did you actually do it like that?

29/13*38 = 84.76

Winter is here for City. 5 points, considering how they've played will seem scant to them. Now, up to wintry Huddersfield on a Sunday evening in minus temperatures, with windy hailstones biting at their legs. It starts now

Up.

Wanted to say earlier I'm struggling to find a single reason anyone here will put Spurs more favorite than anyone to challenge City, even some put them already as a second spot in the league. They're currently at a threat of being kicked out of the top 4 if Arsenal wins tomorrow.

They had some stinkers this season but they're still always favorite it's quite strange for me.

Nice to open a gap again between us and the teams behind so that we only concentrate on City. We just need them to lose any points before the next derby.
They are struggling badly with performing twice per week, as they’ve done for the most of Pocchetino’s reign. Going for it in the CL has already cost them a shot at the league this season, plus Wembley I guess.

If we can scratch two wins from Watford and Arsenal away, that’ll be magnificent, and leave us with a real chance of making it a race for the title. I fear that’s a bit too much to ask from us at the moment, though.

Expect another 3 points for City tomorrow as usual.
Think no win in the next 3 is a real possibility.

Winter is here for City. 5 points, considering how they've played will seem scant to them. Now, up to wintry Huddersfield on a Sunday evening in minus temperatures, with windy hailstones biting at their legs. It starts now
Big game for City really. Two reasonable home games next week while United travel to Watford then Arsenal before the derby. A win would be a big step forwards to the derby with at least an 8 point gap intact.

Chelsea have already played the other top 6 teams and have easier fixtures than United and City who have to play 2 games against top 6 teams before Christmas. But if City win tomorrow, they will be 11 pts clear off Chelsea, probably too much for the latter.

It's important that we open up a gap to the rest and build a solid platform so we can chase City without any worries about being catched from behind. But when you look at the big teams head to heads it's all going in favour of City. Chelsea beat United who beat Spurs who beat Liverpool who beat Arsenal. City have quietly watched everyone around them dropping points allowing them to pull away and create this big gap.

As far as we're concerned, Watford, Arsenal and City are all must win games. It's a huge ask. I hope the players recognise just how poor they were today because that's the only way they can gear themselves up for the challenge ahead. If we're at optimum Watford and Arsenal are winnable games, albeit not without struggle and a bit of luck. City is a completely different proposition but I suppose lets win the first two and qualify in the CL first.

Expect another 3 points for City tomorrow as usual.
Think no win in the next 3 is a real possibility.

Not too optimistic myself, but now would be the perfect time to return to early season form. 9-2-2 after 13 games is pretty good, but overall I don't think we are quite up to league winning standard.

Save for flashes of good play here and there, overall impression is that Utdhave been below par for at least the last 7/8 games. Not conceding can cover poor attacking performances but away from home we seriously get found out and combined with the city game at OT, the next 3 games will tell us a lot about whether Utd can mount a serious title challenge.

United are not in a title race.
It's not even a race until March anyway.

Next 3 games.... Watford Arsenal and City.
Can't see more than 2 points from these games. Could be even less.

City are going to coast this league, it becomes clearer every week. We lack quality and it’s frustrating, maybe if we can find some form over the next few weeks we can put some pressure on, but we look a long way off the quality required to fight them for the title. We’ll be fighting Chelsea for second place.

Status
Not open for further replies.