The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's very good at it as well.
I don't understand how he keeps tricking people.
Even by his own set of rules, Spurs should be discounted as they've only become a CL regular over the last 3 years.
That CL money is a sudden bump for Spurs as Brighton etc.
Why am I even sort of answering it? It does work!

Leicester have only been in the Prem 4 years. Why don't you pick a club that's been there since the Prem's inception?

Look at Leicester since 2015 then - £104m to £233m. More than doubled their turnover in two years.

Making Spurs and United look like financial illiterates

Look at Leicester since 2015 then - £104m to £233m. More than doubled their turnover in two years.

Making Spurs and United look like financial illiterates

Leicester have done well, I agree. But doesn't that period includes a one-off stint in the CL? They are unlikely to get CL income again, unlike United or Spurs.

You have a bad habit of narrowing every argument to suit your own set of rules buddy.

Sounds a bit like choosing clubs recently arrived in the Prem, so that over a 5 year span (or less) you can include a very low starting base due to Championship level income.

But in any case, and as I've said, club finances are not just about percentage income growth, they're also about expenditure ... which is why Spurs have been more or less the most profitable club in the Prem in recent years.

Last edited:
If we can renew players like Verthongen, Eriksen and Son and a new contract for Poch that in itself would be a good transfer window.

If we could get one marquee signing on top of that it would show a signal of intent to take the step up, but who knows if it'll happen.
Agreed. I think Eriksen would be the one to worry about, Vertonghen is quality but his age will probably lower the chance of him going anywhere.
I think if you got more deals wrapped up and then brought in players like Ryan Sessengon or Kluivert or someone it would be a great summer.
I'd love us to bring in Sessengon, Tierney and Rubén Neves this summer, but we don't seem interested in bringing in loads of young players at the moment.

De Ligt I’d say will be a definite target when Toby moves on. We need quality midfielders, a link, ball playing midfielder and a back up for Kane/ who can also play on the flanks. If we could get a clear upgrade at either LB or RB I’d say we would be intrested also. I do think there will be money to spend as well as any money for Toby and hopefully Sissoko (hopes China comes calling with silly moneh.
Yeah De Ligt seems like a very good young player, if it's true that we're chasing Alderwiereld and you'll replace him with De Ligt I honestly think you'll have the better deal of the two clubs.
I'm obviously not as versed in the needs of your squad at the moment, but I would have guessed you'd be after potential future marquee players to take you from the regular top three to being challengers, given there's just not many top quality players on the market at the moment.

If I was Levy I'd spend damn near the entire summer budget on a creative central midfielder. An 8, not a 10.

Strong rumours an announcement on Poch signing a new contract is imminent.

Will be the best signing of the summer if it happens.

Chelsea have admitted defeat in trying to tempt him away as they know Poch doesn't want to leave.

If I was Levy I'd spend damn near the entire summer budget on a creative central midfielder. An 8, not a 10.

I agree with this, Dembele provides that drive forward from midfield but has a permanent injury he will have to nurse for the rest of his career. He could decide to move to China for one last big payout. Even if he stays on im expecting a bit of a reduced team role and a more from the bench role. Winks who's game revolves around picking passes from deep seems to be Wilshere v2.0 with his injury record.

Spurs are also really light on CB's, two recognised CB's, Vertonghen is quality, one of my CB's of the season, apart from that though they have Sanchez a 21 y/o youngster, Foyth who hasnt played in the prem as far as I know. And Dier who can do a job in a pinch as a CB being a utility player but seems better in that DM role screening the CB's and breaking up the play in midifield.

Definitely need another CB or two to compete in all competitions next season. Is Foyth ready to make that step up to prem football? And even if he is, that still seems light on CB's to me for four competitions.

Poch has officially signed a new 5 year deal - absolutely delighted with that.

I half expected him to join Chelsea given the uncertainty he portrayed in his interviews toward the end of the season. Excellent signing for you lot though.

The grand opening of the fantastic new stadium complex was simply to attractive an opportunity to pass up (inb4 Glaston!)

Yeah, good for them, might even win a League Cup for them in those 5 years

Great news for Spurs, that was needed. It would explain his strange comments about being the manager of Spurs of late. He must have guarantees of funds for the next few seasons. Strange that manager's are just like players negotiating contracts these days, loads of strategies on the go. Be interested to see who Spurs bring in this summer.

There was absolutely no doubt in my mind, occasianaly Poch simply talks bollocks and his translation still slips him up. This whole *post season meeting* they were supposed to have between him and Levy would have covered nothing Poch didn’t already know, I mean they work in offices next to each other.

I’d say you will see, a lot of players contracts getting down now, Eriksen and Vertonghen top of the bill.

Is that a guess or has Levy promised as much?

Guess mainly but also its the figure that has been rumoured at some Spurs forums. The feeling is that Poch only signed the new contract on the promise that Levy would give him substantial funds to buy some quality players.

Well done Spurs. Keeping hold of a very good manager at a crucial time. Thought they did well to stay in top 4 whilst playing at Wembley. They’re in same boat as us - need to start winning trophies to go along with entertaining style. With this news and Emery, North London clubs looking set up to challenge next year. Wonder what the plastics will do regarding Conte.

Tottenham doing a good job so far getting players and Poch to sign new contracts. I imagine with Poch signing a new contract it will be a positive sign for some of the players.

Imagine Eriksen will sign a new deal fairly soon.

I half expected him to join Chelsea given the uncertainty he portrayed in his interviews toward the end of the season. Excellent signing for you lot though.

The grand opening of the fantastic new stadium complex was simply to attractive an opportunity to pass up (inb4 Glaston!)

I was 90% certain he would stay, but I was 100% certain he wouldn't go to Chelsea :)

But I agree, very very good news for us!

What a deal for Spurs!

Maybe Poch is simply just happy there, but it could also be a little hasty. A loss on Saturday and I'm sure Real Madrid would have been knocking on his door

What a deal for Spurs!

Maybe Poch is simply just happy there, but it could also be a little hasty. A loss on Saturday and I'm sure Real Madrid would have been knocking on his door

If you read his quotes and his book there is absolutely no doubt he is happy. The only time I will worry is if our bald leader starts losing faith in him, or stops backing him. He would be a terrible fit at Madrid IMO at this moment in time.

Poch:

"This is a special club - we always strive to be creative in the way we work both on and off the pitch and will continue to stick to our principles in order to achieve the success this Club deserves."

Absolutely delighted because it means we won't go anywhere near him.
Can't believe some of our fans want another fraud who has won absolutely nothing to run this club after Moyes ran us into the ground. Bullet dodged

Absolutely delighted because it means we won't go anywhere near him.
Can't believe some of our fans want another fraud who has won absolutely nothing to run this club after Moyes ran us into the ground. Bullet dodged

Lol - fair play mate

Tottenham doing a good job so far getting players and Poch to sign new contracts. I imagine with Poch signing a new contract it will be a positive sign for some of the players.

Imagine Eriksen will sign a new deal fairly soon.

Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed

He talks like he's happy and settled at Spurs. He's a fantastic player, imo your most important. He's just seen his boss sign up on a 5 year contract, long term Spurs are a good bet right now. Granted he might not win as many trophies if he jumped ship to a Barcelona/Madrid. But Spurs aren't a million miles away despite what some posters think in here.

From Spurs perspective, i'd say keeping hold of Eriksen, Kane and Pochettino is the most important objective. Reo Griffiths is a player I keep hearing about too and he's about to sign a new deal with you guys.

Also seems like you're trying to tie up your young players close to breaking through into longer term deals. Sanchez (obviously already a first teamer), but Walker Peters, Carter Vickers, Winks and potentially now Griffiths.

Good decision by Pochettino, I think he needs to win something at Spurs, FA cup, League cup, Europa league, anything. A trophy or two and then look for a step up, PSG, Juventus or something.

Would have been incredibly stupid of him to do so.

Chelsea are now pulling back on how the club is funded and it looks more like they’re going to be operating fairly similarly to the way Spurs are in the market.

Then there’s the fact that if you take the Chelsea job you’re almost guaranteed to be out on your ass in about 2 year’s time. Doesn’t really seem to fit in with his MO.

Status
Not open for further replies.