The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for the club. He has changed almost everything at the club.

done a great job at Spurs, but what do Spurs fans class as success? is getting top 4 enough for them or would they rather win an FA Cup and finish 5th? personally cant see them winning the league at the moment. and the wages factor will be huge with the next top player to sign a deal as will have the domino effect on all the squad.

done a great job at Spurs, but what do Spurs fans class as success? is getting top 4 enough for them or would they rather win an FA Cup and finish 5th? personally cant see them winning the league at the moment. and the wages factor will be huge with the next top player to sign a deal as will have the domino effect on all the squad.

Top four is a satisfactory season, we simply cannot do without the money it generates for us as a club at the moment. It not an option to say finish 5th and win something. We need a trophy FA Cup, League Cup and be pushing harder in Europe. As for the league we have as much chance of winning it as any of the other clubs chasing City IMO. Having said that I don’t think anyone will catch City for at least the next 2 years.

The best signing that Spurs could ever made.

Eh? What am I not getting, he stays on 5 more years, leads Spurs into a new era in a new WHL, wins a couple trophies, then looks for a bigger challenge?

He wants to make Tottenham that big club, he wants to take them to that next level. It’s typical on here the guy literally signed a new 5 year deal yesterday yet there is still talk of him moving on to a bigger club, you sure you don’t write for the Daily Star?

Spurs are never going to be a big club organically (like Madrid, Barcelona, United, Bayern, Juventus), that ship sailed a long time ago.

The only way to become a big club now is through a sugar daddy. The league was dominated by United for 2 decades with Chelsea and City slowly creeping up on United through billions of investment.

You aren't going to beat Guardiola by buying hidden gems from feeder leagues. You're gonna need to invest £100m+ every season just to not fall behind.

Spurs are never going to be a big club organically (like Madrid, Barcelona, United, Bayern, Juventus), that ship sailed a long time ago.

The only way to become a big club now is through a sugar daddy. The league was dominated by United for 2 decades with Chelsea and City slowly creeping up on United through billions of investment.

You aren't going to beat Guardiola by buying hidden gems from feeder leagues. You're gonna need to invest £100m+ every season just to not fall behind.

WE ARE DOOMED :lol:. We can certainly become bigger than we currently are. According to some fans we are going to fall behind season after season but we haven't. I don't think any club will catch City for at least 2 seasons no matter how much money is spent.

WE ARE DOOMED :lol:. We can certainly become bigger than we currently are. According to some fans we are going to fall behind season after season but we haven't. I don't think any club will catch City for at least 2 seasons no matter how much money is spent.

Who said you are doomed? Spurs can probably catch up to Arsenal as a club, but you aren't going to become one of the biggest clubs in the world (that process takes decades, even clubs like AC Milan can fall to the wayside very quickly).

I think you'd do quite well to emulate Atletico Madrid and Dortmund. Competitive in the league, regular CL football, can win cups regularly. But then again, Simeone is a far superior manager to Pochettino, so it's difficult seeing him match his achievements.

Who said you are doomed? Spurs can probably catch up to Arsenal as a club, but you aren't going to become one of the biggest clubs in the world (that process takes decades, even clubs like AC Milan can fall to the wayside very quickly).

I think you'd do quite well to emulate Atletico Madrid and Dortmund. Competitive in the league, regular CL football, can win cups regularly. But then again, Simeone is a far superior manager to Pochettino, so it's difficult seeing him match his achievements.

I don't think we will get to the heights of the super elite any time soon if ever but we can certainly improve is my point, and that Poch wants to be involved in that process.

Originally you said "never" and "that ship sailed a long time ago". Now you say "that process takes decades" .... so do make your mind up as to which it is.

You seem to inhabit this fantasy world in which there are only 5 "big clubs" ... all cosily roped off from the rest in some sort of permanently exclusive zone.

Well, I have news for you. One of these fantasy five clubs has finished outside the top 4 in their own domestic league three times in the last 5 years. Another plays in a one-horse domestic league where winning the title means little, whereas one club outside of these fantasy five has won its domestic league (the world's most competitive) three times in the last 7 years.

As for Spurs, we embarked several years ago on a project designed to take us eventually into the European elite. The new training centre was foundation stone 1 and the new stadium is foundation stone 2 - both are/will be as good (or better) as any equivalent anywhere in the world.

Foundation stone 3 will be the full completion of the whole stadium complex (including hotel, apartments and more). Foundation stone 4 could be the establishment of a permanent NFL franchise at our new stadium ... at which point the total annual income of Spurs would eclipse that of all but 4 or 5 clubs globally.

The process may indeed take decades, but Spurs started this process, in terms of long-term decisions taken, in the early years of this century.

Originally you said "never" and "that ship sailed a long time ago". Now you say "that process takes decades" .... so do make your mind up as to which it is.

You seem to inhabit this fantasy world in which there are only 5 "big clubs" ... all cosily roped off from the rest in some sort of permanently exclusive zone.

Well, I have news for you. One of these fantasy five clubs has finished outside the top 4 in their own domestic league three times in the last 5 years. Another plays in a one-horse domestic league where winning the title means little, whereas one club outside of these fantasy five has won its domestic league (the world's most competitive) three times in the last 7 years.

As for Spurs, we embarked several years ago on a project designed to take us eventually into the European elite. The new training centre was foundation stone 1 and the new stadium is foundation stone 2 - both are/will be as good (or better) as any equivalent anywhere in the world.

Foundation stone 3 will be the full completion of the whole stadium complex (including hotel, apartments and more). Foundation stone 4 could be the establishment of a permanent NFL franchise at our new stadium ... at which point the total annual income of Spurs would eclipse that of all but 4 or 5 clubs globally.

The process may indeed take decades, but Spurs started this process, in terms of long-term decisions taken, in the early years of this century.

If you think spurs will ever make more money than Madrid ,Barca and United you really are deluded

God almighty.. what is the fascination about fecking Spurs? Where’s the Aston Villa thread? Oh, right... they’re not within a few points from United, as well as winning feck all in the past several decades. Must be the trendy manager. Enjoy your big moment being somewhere near United while it lasts. You’ll be back with the West Hams, Broms and Southamptons soon enough. Doesn’t take much to get giddy, does it?

Top four is a satisfactory season, we simply cannot do without the money it generates for us as a club at the moment. It not an option to say finish 5th and win something. We need a trophy FA Cup, League Cup and be pushing harder in Europe. As for the league we have as much chance of winning it as any of the other clubs chasing City IMO. Having said that I don’t think anyone will catch City for at least the next 2 years.

So in 5 years when his contract is up and hes stayed in the top 4 all the time, got to couple 1/4 final's of CL's or a couple of 2nd in the league despite never really challenging (like United this season) for example but never won and FA cup or League Cup you as a fan would be happy enough with that ?

not sure i agree with you about the league if honest, looking at the players going to leave this summer i can't see them replacing them with enough quality unless they break the bank on transfers and wages. with the new stadium it looks very unlikely they will do that but Levy might shock everyone. will be a very interesting summer for all the top 6.

There's a strong potential for Spurs to become the biggest club in London for the next few years. I'm sure Spurs fans would argue they already are based on league positions and CL football but I still think top players would prefer to play for Chelsea or Arsenal over Spurs. However another top 4 finish next season by Spurs with a cup win, then progress has been made again.

So in 5 years when his contract is up and hes stayed in the top 4 all the time, got to couple 1/4 final's of CL's or a couple of 2nd in the league despite never really challenging (like United this season) for example but never won and FA cup or League Cup you as a fan would be happy enough with that ?

not sure i agree with you about the league if honest, looking at the players going to leave this summer i can't see them replacing them with enough quality unless they break the bank on transfers and wages. with the new stadium it looks very unlikely they will do that but Levy might shock everyone. will be a very interesting summer for all the top 6.

I think the bit where I said “we need an FA Cup or League Cup”. Going forward finishing in the top for will not be satisfactory, but the season gone past I’d say it is.

We will lose Toby possibley Rose this summer, neither played a massive role last season. I have said before I expect Levy to splash the cash in the summer. Everything is falling into place, young players signing extensions, managerial staff signing extensions, next will be senior playing staff.

Unfortunately the revenue for us finishing top 4 is vital, is dropping down out of he CL will effect us much more than any other of the top 6 as financially we are much further behind on match day and comercial revenues which will improve in the coming seasons.

There's a strong potential for Spurs to become the biggest club in London for the next few years. I'm sure Spurs fans would argue they already are based on league positions and CL football but I still think top players would prefer to play for Chelsea or Arsenal over Spurs. However another top 4 finish next season by Spurs with a cup win, then progress has been made again.

They would prefer to play for either of them probably more on a financial basis and there success. I do however feel we are getting closer, again we need to start winning things. We definitely have a big enough fan base to compete.

Very true

I think this is a right time for Spurs to go on the next level. With the rumored investment, it'll be interesting to see how Spurs spend it. I don't think their spending has been too great. Pochettino greatest strength is obviously coaching and he's brilliant at that.

Don't see you lot getting Martial as United won't sell him to a domestic team and neither they have any need to do that. A left back and midfielder are must tho. Possibly a right back too as Aurier has been average.

If you think spurs will ever make more money than Madrid ,Barca and United you really are deluded

To be fair he is saying that apart from four or five clubs but that also sounds fanciful.

They would prefer to play for either of them probably more on a financial basis and there success. I do however feel we are getting closer, again we need to start winning things. We definitely have a big enough fan base to compete.

Financial basis is quite important but both clubs have been successful in winning trophies in the past 2-3 years which Spurs have not.

Spurs need some clever signings this summer because another season without trophies and I feel that their star men will start to think of other climes. Have spurs peaked? Gonna be an interesting season for them

How modern is their new stadium compared to Emirates/Old Trafford?

Its the greatest most modern multi sport arena ever with state of the art everything and playing there will be the greatest achievement in a professional athletes career. According to this thread

Its the greatest most modern multi sport arena ever with state of the art everything and playing there will be the greatest achievement in a professional athletes career. According to this thread

:lol:

How modern is their new stadium compared to Emirates/Old Trafford?

It’s going down the line of more than a stadium simply for football but more of a day out with something for everyone. I get the jokes from other fans but I’d suggest most fan bases would be pretty damn excited about a new home.

I don't think we will get to the heights of the super elite any time soon if ever but we can certainly improve is my point, and that Poch wants to be involved in that process.

Absolutely. Poch has shown that he can get a tune out of players that need to work on their game. He's a solid manager and I think Spurs can't go wrong with him at the helm.

He's been an important figure in Tottenham taking over Arsenal in the short term which has got to be big for the fans.

And he drivels on and on and on. The funny thing is that all of this is with regards to other stuff than actual football, what’s really going on inside the actual stadium. Aston Villa and Sunderland also built state of the art training facilities a few years ago, could you really care less about it? I sure as hell can’t. It doesn’t matter whatsoever, all the clubs in the top leagues have satisfactory training grounds. NFL, shit, you’re still talking about the NFL!?

What you also disregard or fail to mention is the natural development from other teams. Over the next five-ten years, other clubs will build stadiums, develop exisiting ones and equal the stuff you are doing now - or better it. And again, who the hell cares. You are building a new stadium, it’s still not amongst the biggest in Europe, your fanbase isn’t very big either.

Building a stadium does not equal success on the football pitch, it really doesn’t. If you want to join the European elite, hey keep dreaming - even Everton and Newcastle-fans do the same, you have to become a better team and produce some trophies. You got lucky with Kane and a few other signings, let’s see if the luck continues.

To use your own ammuniton; you have tried to ridicule people for shaming Spurs every season - yet you finish top four after all. You’ve said the same crap for years and years, when are you going to actually compete? Because this year you are further away than last year, and you haven’t competed for anything in any of these seasons - even with your best team ever in the PL.

Congratulations Harry Kane on signing Pochettino’a New 5 year contract, and for the assist supplying the pen.

The new training centre was foundation stone 1 and the new stadium is foundation stone 2 - both are/will be as good (or better) as any equivalent anywhere in the world.

Not to mention foundation stone 5 could be when the stadium gains sentience, rises up and leads the Tottenham faithful into the promised land.

I also heard Levy's considering the colonisation of Mars for foundation stone 6.

Exciting times ahead.

And he drivels on and on and on. The funny thing is that all of this is with regards to other stuff than actual football, what’s really going on inside the actual stadium. Aston Villa and Sunderland also built state of the art training facilities a few years ago, could you really care less about it? I sure as hell can’t. It doesn’t matter whatsoever, all the clubs in the top leagues have satisfactory training grounds. NFL, shit, you’re still talking about the NFL!?

What you also disregard or fail to mention is the natural development from other teams. Over the next five-ten years, other clubs will build stadiums, develop exisiting ones and equal the stuff you are doing now - or better it. And again, who the hell cares. You are building a new stadium, it’s still not amongst the biggest in Europe, your fanbase isn’t very big either.

Building a stadium does not equal success on the football pitch, it really doesn’t. If you want to join the European elite, hey keep dreaming - even Everton and Newcastle-fans do the same, you have to become a better team and produce some trophies. You got lucky with Kane and a few other signings, let’s see if the luck continues.

To use your own ammuniton; you have tried to ridicule people for shaming Spurs every season - yet you finish top four after all. You’ve said the same crap for years and years, when are you going to actually compete? Because this year you are further away than last year, and you haven’t competed for anything in any of these seasons - even with your best team ever in the PL.

The training centres of Villa and Sunderland don't really compare to that of Spurs - which is why the English national team now train there ahead of matches at Wembley, and why the Brazilian national team will be based there in the run-up to leaving for Russia.

And here, just for you, are some pictures released today of the newly-completed player lodge adjacent to the training grounds: http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/an-exclusive-first-look-inside-the-lodge-250518/

Which other Prem clubs will be building new stadiums in the foreseeable future? Only Everton and maybe Chelsea (if the latter can overcome the huge obstacles in their way) that I know of. Moreover, I've not said our new stadium will be amongst the biggest in Europe, but it will be amongst the very best.

Our fanbase? Well it's certainly big enough to have averaged over 68,000 for our league games at Wembley last season - the 2nd highest average attendance for home league games in the Prem.

I agree that building a new stadium does not of itself equal success on the pitch. But the large increase in annual income that will come with our new stadium will obviously help a lot in terms of attracting and keeping quality players (wages, net spend etc).

You seem to think that, somehow, Spurs fans should not be excited at the prospect of our new home stadium. Well, sorry to disappoint, but we are excited ... because it's going to be fantastic and the level of planning detail that has gone into it - and the range and quality of the facilities that will be on offer - is really quite amazing.

Only you know why you are so sour and bitter about every to do with Spurs ...

Last edited:
What are the resident Spurs fans expectations for next season? 3 times in row you've comfortably gotten top 4. Time for standards to be raised now?

What are the resident Spurs fans expectations for next season? 3 times in row you've comfortably gotten top 4. Time for standards to be raised now?

I want a more sustained league campaign fighting it out for second, sadly with City in the position they are in I think they will walk it, closing the gap would be nice though. Same again or better in the CL and a domestic cup trophy, this is a must for me personally.

Think they will be happy with top 4, they are the new Arsenal.

Think they will be happy with top 4, they are the new Arsenal.

People are confusing finishing in the top 4 with not being ambitious. Finishing in the top 4 can definitely be a target and it simply means that the club finished in the CL places which is the bread and butter for any ambitious club.

Arsenal had a situation where they had to sell their best players, balancing the books, and on top of this seemed to struggle with the same issues every season. There are things to admire about Arsenal and also a lot to be sure to not emulate. And besides finishing in the top 4 and having to pay for a new stadium I don't see many other similarities. It's a lazy comparison imo.

If we comfortably finish in the top 4 and get to the knockout stages of the CL and knocked out by a good team while playing good football it's a decent season for me. For me, losing to Juve the way we did I can accept although it hurts, but losing to a worse team while playing bad football I wouldn't accept.

I would love to win one of the domestic cups, but here as well, if we are beat in close games against let's say away to City and Liverpool I can't really fault the team. But if we are knocked out against lower teams while not playing well I will be disappointed.

Didn't know you were resident Spurs fan Scroto.

I dont dislike Spurs as a team, they go out there and look to play aggressive attacking football. So as a neutral it can make for good viewing, I actually watched quite a few Burnley and Spurs games this season. Thought both legs of the Juventus - Spurs games were a great watch. Alli is an annoying cnut, but everyone knows that, even Spurs fans.

There are very few teams I have disliked, Stoke under Pulis was probably the standout for anti football. City simply for the fact everyone faps themselves silly over Pep yet hes spent more money on his defense budget than some countries.

And there is a bit of delusion occasionally from the Spurs faithful on here. Once the stadium is built Jehova will come from the heavens and bless Harry Kanes boots in a ceremony in front of the faithful. Then carry the stadium into the clouds so that Spurs can play their games in front of the lofty gates of heaven. Harry Kane will no longer walk out of the tunnel but instead rise from beneath the pitch through the centre circle that is a retracting door all whilst angels play harps or something.

Spurs new stadium looks class, will be the best club stadium in the UK by some distance but I can't see how it is going to be finished by mid September. I said this a good few months ago and got shot down by a Spurs fan but the closer it gets to the deadline the more apparent it is becoming. What are they going to do next season?, groundshare with Arsenal?, is Wembley still an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.