The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s also an indicator of a big, fecking nasty glass ceiling that you’ll never get past. It must hurt you that we suddenly finished above you once again, perhaps winning a trophy once again - just like that... For all the imaginary success you’re finding behind all the numbers and biased theories, Chelsea will probably buy a few players this summer that will bump you down to 5th again - and nobody would give a single feck. Getting an upturn must have been great, but it doesn’t look like you’re enjoying it one bit. Too bad there are absolutely no trophies to show for it. Bale, Modric, Kane, Walker, Alderweireld... not a single trophy even though you had all the talent in the world as disposal.

Your vitriol is shocking I really don’t get the hate that you and a few others consist in this thread, it’s like you can’t wait for us to fail even though we are trying to do it the same way United did. Why? You hate Chelsea and City for their bought stature, you hate Liverpool for your past rivally, is it simply you don’t want any competition? This is actually an honest question because I simply don’t get the patronising hate.

You say idiotic things like *never* it’s simply childish. We will sometime in the near future be sold, probably to someone in the same mound as the glazier’s and who knows ignorance it will be good or bad. Rumour has is Roman was actually gonna but us before he took Chelsea.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way that Spurs saved up anything significant and given stadium cost of 800m-1bil I bet whatever number you come up with from 1. above will be completely immaterial.

As for no 2, income boost may be higher but the stadium cost is almost double. Poch thought that the stadium was going to generate money which could be used for the team but the reality is you’re going to be struggling with finances for the next 5 years. Just wait and see. Drop out of the CL and it’s going to really hurt.

You're clearly not familiar with our incredibly low net spend figures and our big profits as a result. Where do you else think this money has gone if not into the stadium?

Nor does it help your case to inflate the stadium costs to anything up to £1billion.

Many on here endlessly predict doom for Spurs - financial and otherwise - but it never comes to pass.

You're clearly not familiar with our incredibly low net spend figures and our big profits as a result. Where do you else think this money has gone if not into the stadium?

Nor does it help your case to inflate the stadium costs to anything up to £1billion.

Many on here endlessly predict doom for Spurs - financial and otherwise - but it never comes to pass.

I guess we will see how flush with cash Spurs are come the xfer window, my bet is the cashflow is mostly tied up with stadium repayments. So we will see the usual net spend balance from Spurs, they will sell a bunch of players and re-invest those funds.

I will believe Glaston's rhetoric if I see Spurs go on a splurge and buy the likes of De Ligt, Kovacic and decent backup for Kane.

Eriksen will move on this season or the next so they should also be preparing an apt replacement for him.

I guess we will see how flush with cash Spurs are come the xfer window, my bet is the cashflow is mostly tied up with stadium repayments. So we will see the usual net spend balance from Spurs, they will sell a bunch of players and re-invest those funds.

I will believe Glaston's rhetoric if I see Spurs go on a splurge and buy the likes of De Ligt, Kovacic and decent backup for Kane.

Eriksen will move on this season or the next so they should also be preparing an apt replacement for him.

Yes and that’s basically it, we won’t know until The end of the transfer window the rest is straw man arguments, your Eriksen statement is interesting, u think he will leave this summer? Why? You have heard his latest comments right?

Yes and that’s basically it, we won’t know until The end of the transfer window the rest is straw man arguments, your Eriksen statement is interesting, u think he will leave this summer? Why? You have heard his latest comments right?

Because Spurs will get big money for him this summer, you are looking in the 100mil range, you wait another season and with 1 year left on his contract his vaule drops to what 40-50mil? He is also now at that age, he will want that payout and to win trophies, whilst Im skeptical of the Barca rumours after they just blew ridiculous money on Coutinho and apparently are bringing in Griezmann. They arnt the only club with cash, PSG, Bayern, Juventus, RM could all use his services. The bottomless pit of cash at City as Silva's playing time decreases.

He may want to play a season in the new stadium which is good news for Spurs. But the club should definitely be preparing for life after Eriksen.

Because Spurs will get big money for him this summer, you are looking in the 100mil range, you wait another season and with 1 year left on his contract his vaule drops to what 40-50mil? He is also now at that age, he will want that payout and to win trophies, whilst Im skeptical of the Barca rumours after they just blew ridiculous money on Coutinho and apparently are bringing in Griezmann. They arnt the only club with cash, PSG, Bayern, Juventus, RM could all use his services. The bottomless pit of cash at City as Silva's playing time decreases.

He may want to play a season in the new stadium which is good news for Spurs. But the club should definitely be preparing for life after Eriksen.

Based on what? This is simply opinion, he has came out this week saying how special Spurs are, not exactly the words of someone wanting out. We have kept Verts and Hugo for seasons, why do they stay? This exodus has been spoke about for years but yet our players stay baring one here and there. Would it make u feel better knowing our players all want out? Again I don’t get it.

Based on what? This is simply opinion, he has came out this week saying how special Spurs are, not exactly the words of someone wanting out. We have kept Verts and Hugo for seasons, why do they stay? This exodus has been spoke about for years but yet our players stay baring one here and there. Would it make u feel better knowing our players all want out? Again I don’t get it.

One player is hardly an 'exodus' and whilst i rate Vertonghen and Lloris I dont think they are in Eriksen's league. I put him in the Modric/Bale class, and we both know what happened to them.

Sorry, but league table positions clearly are one indicator (not the only one of course) of near-future title-winning chances. Otherwise you'd give West Ham an equal chance with United on that score.
And the team finishing higher in the most recent season would have the greater chance. Otherwise you’d give Arsenal almost as good a chance as Spurs.

Now is the time for Spurs to go big. They should get contract extensions from all key players, close the gap to what City and United pay considerably. Spend £200m on new players and go all in (if that Stadium is theirs the credit line won‘t be an issue) on the gamble that Match day, TV and Merchandise get boosted. Fans will get hyped. Helps in winning trophies too.

If it‘s not working out they can downsize again to whatever also-ran existence they had a few years ago. Now they have the stars aligned with Kane, Eriksen. Alli etc. and Pochettino. iI‘s not like this is a group that can be crafted by careful planning, progress charts and Opta data all the time.

But seeing how they go about it they have little chance of catching up. Losing a player here and there, signing squad players like Lucas Moura. Just missing the cojones I guess.

One player is hardly an 'exodus' and whilst i rate Vertonghen and Lloris I dont think they are in Eriksen's league. I put him in the Modric/Bale class, and we both know what happened to them.

Again straw man, both Modric and Bale voiced that they wanted away a season before they did, also we are in a much stronger position now than then. Trust me most spurs supporters now when a a player wants out we’re used to it, Eriksen has been entirely opposite. He will be with us next season, no matter how much it may frustrate you. Honestly when all players have n football only want money the game will be dead, for all clubs including United.

Again straw man, both Modric and Bale voiced that they wanted away a season before they did, also we are in a much stronger position now than then. Trust me most spurs supporters now when a a player wants out we’re used to it, Eriksen has been entirely opposite. He will be with us next season, no matter how much it may frustrate you.
What makes you think United fans would be frustrated at somebody staying at Spurs? Spurs aren’t the club stopping Utd from being successful.

What makes you think United fans would be frustrated at somebody staying at Spurs? Spurs aren’t the club stopping Utd from being successful.

Mate, really? Have u been reading this thread? All our players apparently aren’t haooy and want moves, yet the majority stay? Read the posts, *all our players could earn more everywhere else*. And no we’re not, ur derby rivals are, and will be for 2-3 seasons coming.

The kicker is, a lot of ur fan base want Pep to manage you......

And the team finishing higher in the most recent season would have the greater chance. Otherwise you’d give Arsenal almost as good a chance as Spurs.

Well, it depends if you want to judge it on that single season instead of over all the seasons since Fergie retired.

Agreed. It does beg the question, though, why is the 'child' still allowed to post here?

You obviously think the notion that United are closer than Spurs to winning the CL or league title shouldn't be allowed to be challenged ... when actually there is a reasonable argument to be made against it.

Mate, really? Have u been reading this thread? All our players apparently aren’t haooy and want moves, yet the majority stay? Read the posts, *all our players could earn more everywhere else*. And no we’re not, ur derby rivals are, and will be for 2-3 seasons coming.

The kicker is, a lot of ur fan base want Pep to manage you......
And you think you’re an example of a good opposition fan? A lot of it is clearly done to annoy Glaston because he’s constantly talking shite about United.

I know you think you’ve got a wee dig in there but you really haven’t. Our derby rivals are making it even more difficult for Spurs too so maybe you should be a little less happy about it.

Last edited:
Agreed. It does beg the question, though, why is the 'child' still allowed to post here?

You honestly don’t think there are United wums on here? I joined here because it’s a huge forum that most United fans embrace. But come on some of the horseshit I have seen from other fans in here is borderline wankerish.

You obviously think the notion that United are closer than Spurs to winning the CL or league title shouldn't be allowed to be challenged ... when actually there is a reasonable argument to be made against it.
Of course it can. I never made the argument in the first place. Average league position is not a reasoned argument though. If you were capable of having a reasonable argument I’d be happy to have one. You aren’t though. Having an average league position of 4.25 in the last four years hasn’t stopped Chelsea winning the league twice.

The stadium costs have certainly weighed on Spurs' finances. But they can afford to spend some 100M on traansfers plus the money generated from sale. Will they spend that much is another topic, but they certainly can if they want to.

The biggest concern for them is to keep their star players happy after this coming season.

And you think you’re an example of a good opposition fan? A lot of it is clearly done to annoy Glaston because he’s constantly talking shite about United.

I know you think you’ve got a wee dig in there but you really haven’t. Are derby rivals are making it even more difficult for Spurs too so maybe you should be a little less happy about it.

Grow up, I don’t know Glaston, he is entitled to his opinion. Your a twat telling me how I should feel, again noting but Neanderthal slobbering, it’s actually rubbish.

You have had a better season but yet r slobbering all over urself about how we will fail? Tell u what look up instead of down.

You honestly don’t think there are United wums on here? I joined here because it’s a huge forum that most United fans embrace. But come on some of the horseshit I have seen from other fans in here is borderline wankerish.
If the mods are specifically telling you to ignore someone, then why are they here? What's the point?

Well, it depends if you want to judge it on that single season instead of over all the seasons since Fergie retired.
Why would you do that? What have Van Gaal and Moyes seasons got to do with who manages the club now? Half the team that starts tomorrow’s game we’re not at the club five years ago and probably even less when next season comes round.

Grow up, I don’t know Glaston, he is entitled to his opinion. Your a twat telling me how I should feel, again noting but Neanderthal slobbering, it’s actually rubbish.
And I am entitled to mine. This is an example of mature behaviour. Well done.

Why would you do that? What have Van Gaal and Moyes seasons got to do with who manages the club now? Half the team that starts tomorrow’s game we’re not at the club five years ago and probably even less when next season comes round.

Even if you want to limit it to Mourinho era, Spurs have still averaged a higher league position than United and played better in the CL than United.

So again, not much support there for the notion that United are closer than Spurs to the league title or winning the CL.

Even if you want to limit it to Mourinho era, Spurs have still averaged a higher league position than United and played better in the CL than United.

So again, not much support there for the notion that United are closer than Spurs to the league title or winning the CL.
‘Playing better’ got you nowhere. You were knocked out before it got serious just like United were. Average league position means nothing as evidenced by Chelsea.

Again, I haven’t made the argument that they are. I don’t think either team have a hope in their current state. What will have a greater baring will be what strengthening the two teams do. It won’t be because Spurs finished higher three seasons ago and it won’t be because Spurs supposedly played well in losing to Juventus.

At the beginning of last season would you have said Arsenal had a better chance of winning the league than Spurs because they’d had a better average league position in the last four years? Of course you wouldn’t.

I'm also talking about the present day - not what has happened over the last several years and beyond. In this present day, Spurs finished above City in the league last season and neither team won a trophy.

You can argue that City's spending spree will take above Spurs this coming season and/or win them a trophy, but that remains to be seen.
Average league position didn’t seem to be a big concern for you last year when talking about City’s chances relative to Spurs in the coming season. Almost as if your opinions are formed based on whatever makes Spurs seem better. It couldn’t be that though.

‘Playing better’ got you nowhere. You were knocked out before it got serious just like United were. Average league position means nothing as evidenced by Chelsea.

Again, I haven’t made the argument that they are. I don’t think either team have a hope in their current state. What will have a greater baring will be what strengthening the two teams do. It won’t be because Spurs finished higher three seasons ago and it won’t be because Spurs supposedly played well in losing to Juventus.

At the beginning of last season would you have said Arsenal had a better chance of winning the league than Spurs because they’d had a better average league position in the last four years? Of course you wouldn’t.

You may not have made the claim, but that hasn't stopped you jumping in to support it.

I agree that neither team have much chance as things currently stand - but I simply don't agree that United are closer to the goal than Spurs.

Average league position didn’t seem to be a big concern for you last year when talking about City’s chances relative to Spurs in the coming season. Almost as if your opinions are formed based on whatever makes Spurs seem better. It couldn’t be that though.

I don't believe the quoted post contains any claim about City's chances.

I don't believe the quoted post contains any claim about City's chances.
It shows that average league position wasn’t in your thoughts when considering who would do better. You were very much in the present day because Spurs finished above City. When United finish above Spurs it’s about the last four years average. What’s wrong with the present day now?

Lol ... one season. And you performed worse than Spurs in the CL, even if we did both go out the same stage. And you're telling me to "wake up"? ... lol

By the way "most" does mean "more than half" (at the very least).

Yes, because it's relevant to include all 92 english clubs and every professional club in Europe to make 'Only 11' sound tiny. Stop using quirks of language for justification, it's silly.

11 clubs paying more than Spurs is a HUGE number.

United had the best player on the planet in Ronaldo. Only 2 teams could feasibly pay him more than United could (City, Real) and maybe 2 at the time could guarantee the same level of success (Real, Barca). We still lost him. If you think Spurs are lucky that only 11 teams can afford your players you're more deluded than I thought.

You're probably going to lose your best centre half this summer. You lost the leagues best right back last summer. You will not be replacing these players with better ones.

You may not have made the claim, but that hasn't stopped you jumping in to support it.

I agree that neither team have much chance as things currently stand - but I simply don't agree that United are closer to the goal than Spurs.
Well a team that is improving and finishing closer than another team would be a little closer. Much like Spurs were closer last season.

I see you haven’t answered my question about Arsenal there.

You do realise you pulled me up for not applying a literal application of 'Most', then went on to use an abstract version of the word 'Closer'.

We finished above you.
We were closer to winning the league.
You'll lose at least one player this summer and hope that you can carefully spend money on a diamond in the rough to compensate.
We'll spend a fortune with impunity and hope that Jose doesn't feck everyone off.

We're better placed to challenge City next year and I don't think you'd find a single football fan that would argue much with that.

Yes, because it's relevant to include all 92 english clubs and every professional club in Europe to make 'Only 11' sound tiny. Stop using quirks of language for justification, it's silly.

11 clubs paying more than Spurs is a HUGE number.

United had the best player on the planet in Ronaldo. Only 2 teams could feasibly pay him more than United could (City, Real) and maybe 2 at the time could guarantee the same level of success (Real, Barca). We still lost him. If you think Spurs are lucky that only 11 teams can afford your players you're more deluded than I thought.

You're probably going to lose your best centre half this summer. You lost the leagues best right back last summer. You will not be replacing these players with better ones.

Lol ... if you say so.

May I suggest next time using a larger font size for 'HUGE', just so we all fully realise what a big number 11 is ... although I think Spinal Tap already know it.

And by the way, being able to pay higher wages doesn't equate to being able to afford our players - there's also the small matter of transfer fees in terms of what Levy would stick out for. Take this into account and the number 11 doesn't look quite as 'HUGE' anymore.

If we lose Alderweireld then, besides having Sanchez already, who knows which other CB we might sign - you certainly don't. And given his age - it might well at worst be a short-term loss for a longer term gain.

Nor do you know which other players besides a CB we might sign.

But I get your general drift: just another in the endless line of wishful-thinking claims that Spurs face decline.

I'm sure you would have posted something similar just after Fergie retired, but probably have given United an even higher rating and Spurs lower.

But the reality since then has been that Spurs average league position has been 3.8, whilst United's has been 4.6.

And the income gap between the two clubs has closed significantly in proportional terms during this period and looks set to close further.

So the notion that United are closer to winning the league than Spurs doesn't stand up to scrutiny. And as for United's abject performance in the CL the less said the better.

The league gap is irrelevant when you can buy the best players. You might make several bad decisions in players and managers but eventually money does talk... See every single title winner this year... Barcelona were the biggest spenders, PSG were the biggest spenders, City were the biggest spenders, Bayern were the biggest spenders.

The correlation between success and wage/transfer spend transcends an idiotic manager who costs you 2-3 years development in Van Gaal and patently hamstrings a good manager in Pochettino.

Of course if you compare the overlapping period which includes the worst managerial period in United's modern history with the best period in Spurs' then you get a 3 year anomaly. However any GCSE maths student could see that brazen red flag for what it is... An exception to a rule.

The income gap has not closed significantly at all and in fact the absolute reverse is true. The two financial years 2015 - 2017 United's income has grown from £395m to £581m which represents £186m growth... Spurs income has grown £196m to £306m which represents £110m growth... Essentially the greatest ever point in Spurs turnover growth is still barely 60% of United's growth over the same period.

Spurs turnover of £306m is what the United board were forecasting and chest bumping about in 2010... That was in an economic climate when people were stunned that City spent £24m on Yaya Toure.

This is fundamentally why only a deluded fool would suggest Spurs are as close to winning a title. Spurs are literally 8 years behind United in every sense of the word... In a sport where 8 years represents a minimum three fold increase in the cost of wages and transfer fees.

You do realise you pulled me up for not applying a literal application of 'Most', then went on to use an abstract version of the word 'Closer'.

We finished above you.
We were closer to winning the league.
You'll lose at least one player this summer and hope that you can carefully spend money on a diamond in the rough to compensate.
We'll spend a fortune with impunity and hope that Jose doesn't feck everyone off.

We're better placed to challenge City next year and I don't think you'd find a single football fan that would argue much with that.

You finished above us, so you'll be closer to winning the league next season? Does this mean that Spurs will be closer than United to winning the CL next season, seeing as we played better - and against far tougher opposition - than did United last season? Just asking.

So we might lose Alderweireld this summer. Will United not lose any players? Last I heard Martial wasn't too keen on staying.

Will Spurs carefully spend money on a diamond in the rough? Let's hope so. Might we do a lot more than that? Who knows - you certainly don't, despite your blustering 'certainty'.

Perhaps you will spend a fortune with impunity. But then you've done that every season since Fergie left, so what's new?

The league gap is irrelevant when you can buy the best players. You might make several bad decisions in players and managers but eventually money does talk... See every single title winner this year... Barcelona were the biggest spenders, PSG were the biggest spenders, City were the biggest spenders, Bayern were the biggest spenders.

The correlation between success and wage/transfer spend transcends an idiotic manager who costs you 2-3 years development in Van Gaal and patently hamstrings a good manager in Pochettino.

Of course if you compare the overlapping period which includes the worst managerial period in United's modern history with the best period in Spurs' then you get a 3 year anomaly. However any GCSE maths student could see that brazen red flag for what it is... An exception to a rule.

The income gap has not closed significantly at all and in fact the absolute reverse is true. The two financial years 2015 - 2017 United's income has grown from £395m to £581m which represents £186m growth... Spurs income has grown £196m to £306m which represents £110m growth... Essentially the greatest ever point in Spurs turnover growth is still barely 60% of United's growth over the same period.

Spurs turnover of £306m is what the United board were forecasting and chest bumping about in 2010... That was in an economic climate when people were stunned that City spent £24m on Yaya Toure.

This is fundamentally why only a deluded fool would suggest Spurs are as close to winning a title. Spurs are literally 8 years behind United in every sense of the word... In a sport where 8 years represents a minimum three fold increase in the cost of wages and transfer fees.

Were Leicester the biggest spenders when they won the title? Were Chelsea the biggest spenders the season before last? Why even bother to mention PSG when they play in just a 1 or 2 horse league. The same goes for Bayern and the same goes for Barca.

However, the Prem is not just a one or two horse league ... as four different clubs have won it in the last 6 years.

In terms of income: (a) I was talking about the period since Fergie retired, not just the last 2 years; and (b) I was talking not about income growth in absolute terms, but instead about Spurs income as a percentage of United's income.

In 2013 Spurs had 40% of United income (147m vs 363m). Now - as of the last accounts published 10 months ago - that percentage has risen to 52% (306m vs 581m). At the end of next season the percentage figure will have risen again.

This means that United competitive advantage over Spurs financially has shrunk and will shrink further. And that's without looking at the other side of the equation, namely outgoing costs.

You might want to think again about who is and who isn't a 'deluded fool'.

I'm sure you would have posted something similar just after Fergie retired, but probably have given United an even higher rating and Spurs lower.

But the reality since then has been that Spurs average league position has been 3.8, whilst United's has been 4.6.

And the income gap between the two clubs has closed significantly in proportional terms during this period and looks set to close further.

So the notion that United are closer to winning the league than Spurs doesn't stand up to scrutiny. And as for United's abject performance in the CL the less said the better.

Average league position :lol:

Chelsea's average league position is 4 since SAF retired and Spurs' is 3.8.

Chelsea won 2 league titles and you won feck all. Shows how useful average league position is.

Status
Not open for further replies.