Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Is this the place to get movie recommendations or is it strictly reviews only? Feel like I've not seen an amazing movie in ages. Love crime, true events or thriller films, not really into horrors, heavy sci-fi or sports movies.

The thing that makes me adore a movie more than anything though is the production and/or soundtrack e.g. Tarantino films, Guy Ritchie films, films like Grand Budapest Hotel, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Submarine, Fargo etc.

Throw some suggestions my way!

Check out some Spanish thrillers, they always deliver.

Dont watch Miss Sloane, it's crap.

Also Bohemian Rhapsody was laughably bad. Might do a longer post on how much I hated it if I get more time.

Ralph breaks the internet was charming, light hearted and fun on the other hand.

Thank you to my company which allows me to travel and catch up on unwatched films with the Air France catalogue.

Is this the place to get movie recommendations or is it strictly reviews only? Feel like I've not seen an amazing movie in ages. Love crime, true events or thriller films, not really into horrors, heavy sci-fi or sports movies.

The thing that makes me adore a movie more than anything though is the production and/or soundtrack e.g. Tarantino films, Guy Ritchie films, films like Grand Budapest Hotel, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Submarine, Fargo etc.

If you haven’t seen Inside Man with Clive Owen and Denzel Washington then do that, great heist movie.

Boom! - Booze! Kinda like The Night of the Iguana stuck on a runaway merry-go-round, with some added Liz Taylor off the charts camp hysterics, Richard Burton being a horndog in samurai getup and Noël Coward in a suit playing a character named "The Witch of Capri". A hot, hyperthermic mess but it drew a few laughs from me.

Newly added Spanish Netflix film Durante la tormenta (Mirage) is a great one if you like time travel'ish films. The people who watch these type of films (Tringle, Time Crimes, etc) will figure out the plot pretty soon in but nevertheless a great watch. Solid 7/10 from me.

Quite the Frequency like. Catch that up, if you didn't see it. Film, not the TV show.

Quite the Frequency like. Catch that up, if you didn't see it. Film, not the TV show.
Yeah, I've seen that one quite some time ago. Don't remember much of it but I remember thinking it was good at the time. Something similar indeed with Dennis Quaid talking to his younger self through a radio or something similar right?

Did you like Mirage? The main actress was fantastic I thought.

Have you seen Nightcrawler?

Yeah, I've seen that one quite some time ago. Don't remember much of it but I remember thinking it was good at the time. Something similar indeed with Dennis Quaid talking to his younger self through a radio or something similar right?

Did you like Mirage? The main actress was fantastic I thought.

Yeah, I liked it, nicely shot, nice atmosphere, good acting.

And yes, Frequency was almost exactly that, just not to himself, but Quaid was talking to his son.

'Greatest of the great' - Agnès Varda: the eternally youthful soul of world cinema¨

Arguably the greatest film-maker of the French New Wave, Varda – who has died – continued making her distinctive brand of wise, personal, accessible cinema into her late 80s

5717.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1553863665

Triple Threat (2019)

The best thing Tony Jaa has done since the original Ong Bak. Well worth a watch if you enjoy that genre of movie.

8/10

Triple Threat (2019)

The best thing Tony Jaa has done since the original Ong Bak. Well worth a watch if you enjoy that genre of movie.

8/10
Mate I've got this on the ready. Just need a night where the missus falls asleep early. Can't wait.

Mate I've got this on the ready. Just need a night where the missus falls asleep early. Can't wait.
It's got the lead actor from Ong Bak, plus the lead actor from The Raid, plus the fight choreographer from Kill Bill and The Matrix. All three have their own distinct fighting styles (Muay Thai, Pencak Silat and Kung Fu) and it's fascinating to watch all each show it on screen next to their co-stars.

It's the East Asian version of The Expendables. Except this is actually quite good.

It's got the lead actor from Ong Bak, plus the lead actor from The Raid, plus the fight choreographer from Kill Bill and The Matrix. All three have their own distinct fighting styles (Muay Thai, Pencak Silat and Kung Fu) and it's fascinating to watch all each show it on screen next to their co-stars.

It's the East Asian version of The Expendables. Except this is actually quite good.
Also has Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White and Michael Bisping!

My friend is good mates with the guy that did the matrix choreography. Met him, really nice dude.

Stoker (2013)

Dreadful mess desperately seeking cult status.

2/10

Also has Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White and Michael Bisping!

My friend is good mates with the guy that did the matrix choreography. Met him, really nice dude.
Tiger Chen! I swear to God, if this is your type of movie, you'll love it :)

And if anybody else enjoys 80's style action, Triple Threat is the successor to everything good that Arnie or Sly ever did.

Inception (2010)

Awesome, fascinating.

8/10

Awaken The Shadowman
After their mother goes missing, two brothers reunite and discover supernatural forces at work. Nice camera work, which is a given considering the director is a cinematographer but otherwise, pretty poor. Flat visuals, predictable story and awful acting, especially the brother. Even in a scene where he's in a shower with a hot girl, he just says his lines like he's reading off of an auto-cue. Avoid 2/10

The Exorcism of Karen Walker.

A couple discover Kirlian Photography apparatus in their new house. Intrigued by the concept of photographing peoples' Auras they unwittingly release an ancient evil. Only the local psychic can help and she knows far more than she reveals.
Sadly just anther crappy possession film, I was so disappointed.
It had the potential to be a very good film , the story was there , music was excellent, good back story , but it was severely let down by dreadful acting.
Rula Lenska was appallingly bad.
It had its good moments , but they were few and far between and the ending was so predictable , some will get it very very early in the film.

2/10

The Lighthouse

Based on real events which saw two lighthouse keepers stranded for months at sea in a freak storm, the film tells a tale of death, madness and isolation; a desolate trip into the heart of human darkness.
Not my normal sort of film , but I enjoyed it , the 2 leads were very good.
Worth a watch,

7/10

Triple Threat
A hit contract is taken out on a billionaires daughter intent on bringing down a major crime syndicate. A down and out team of mercenaries must take on a group of professional assassins and stop them before they kill their target. No plot or character development.... just fight scene after fight scene. It's like a 10 year old wrote it: "we have them fight, then they run away. We make them look cool and walk towards camera. Oh! And add explosions in the background. Then they fight some more and say one liners... let's cast Iko Uwais, Tony Jaa, Tiger Chen, Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White and Michael Bisping... because they fight really good!" I really want this 10 year old to write more movies because I loved it :lol: exactly what it says on the tin 8/10

Hell House LLC

Five years after an unexplained malfunction causes the death of 15 tour-goers and staff on the opening night of a Halloween haunted house tour, a documentary crew travels back to the scene of the tragedy to find out what really happened. The story and structure are a bit muddled but overall, it tried some cool tricks and there were some good scares. Not too long and definitely worth a watch if you're into the found footage style movies 6/10

Triple Threat (2019)

8/10

Disagree...this movie should of been so much better with the talent they had. Really subpar.

Wings of Desire/Paris, Texas - Wim Wenders double at the Astor. A stunning 4k restoration of WoD. It's beautiful nonsense and derelict 80s Berlin looks glorious in colour and black and white. It's comforting to think a benevolent Bruno Ganz is looking over us. Extra points for young Rowland S. Howard and Nick Cave. Got halfway through Paris, Texas but it was past midnight and I've seen it a bunch of times.