Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

:lol: Didn't you miss out on Oldboy for the same reason?

Yet to see that and Gone with the Wind. It's been kept around here

I downloaded saw Toy Story again today after another thread made me nostalgic. Still just as lovely
No, have seen Oldboy.

I saw Casablanca a few years back but I remember it well. I had a terrible fecking backache and couldn't sleep, had been walking around with eyes half shut for a few hours before i decided to watch a movie and wait for the pain to go away. Casablanca was all I could find in the house. The pain stopped sometime soon after but I saw the entire movie and enjoyed it.

I have no idea why I've posted that story.

In a one off, I've decided to do a Caf-style review to shrug off the movie buff tag

drobbaKiss_468x553.jpg

Dark Blue World
(That's racist)

Saw this on Melbourne Red's recommendation. To me it was the Czechoslovakian version of Pearl Harbour (not the actual incident triggering mass murder, the rubbish movie that triggered mass vomiting). Some of the flight scenes were a joy to watch. The movie would've been much better had they casted it better (dunno if this was the best Czech cast)

Overall, a very laboured watch, IMO

Wolverine said:
FAO: All Bollywood spazzers.

Is Saawariya any good?

When a commercial venture tries to remake a very good Dostoevsky short story the result can only be disastrous. Black was a good watch for some performances and set design, I'm pretty sure this would be a very drab and unjust account of White Nights over-hyped and over-publicised ad nauseum

I saw Casablanca a few years back but I remember it well. I had a terrible fecking backache and couldn't sleep, had been walking around with eyes half shut for a few hours before i decided to watch a movie and wait for the pain to go away. Casablanca was all I could find in the house. The pain stopped sometime soon after but I saw the entire movie and enjoyed it.

I have no idea why I've posted that story.
I enjoyed Casablanca as well but that's about it. It won't be in my top 100 movies, I don't get why people rate as the best film ever.

Rashomon

meh, it was good watch. And I could see for it's time it was very groundbreaking in a sense. But after watching movies like Usual Suspects who in a way apply the same principle as it, I found it a bit too slow and monotonous at times. It obviously inspired the newer ones so should be credited with that but if you take away the relevance of time, I thought it was good at best.
One thing, I noticed was the emphasis on use of facial expressions to convey the emotions, loved it.

It's not great. But hey there are people who think thank Shawshank Redemption is a great movie. :smirk:
Oooooh...cutting.

I didn't rate Casablanca as much because it reminded me of Bollywood.

Shawshank is class. Even with all the prison cliches as Spoony keeps saying, they portray the whole prison scene incredibly well.

Crappy, watch The Big Sleep, Some Like it Hot and The Sting if you haven't seen them yet. Also, you need to go through a Hitchcock marathon.

You've got to watch Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, Rebecca, To Catch A thief, Strangers on a train, North by Northwest, The Rope, 39 steps, The Man Who Knew too much, Vertigo. I've put them in the order I rate them. Rear Window will probably be in my top 5.

feck.

That is too many. I am going to find out if there is some DVD subscription here.

I think I have seen Dial M for Murder.

I'd recommend North by Northwest and Psycho of Hitchcock. Aside from them I didn't find any of his movies worth it. Would've been hugely influential in its time but unlike a Strangelove or 12 Angry Men, it doesn't cut the mustard over time

I'm surprised to read that. I'd say movies like Dial M for Murder, rear Window, Rebecca, To catch a thief are all timeless classics. Gripping stuff no matter when you see them.

Crappy, don't listen to Salv. He's got feck all taste and just likes to present a different opinion from others. Except when it's Plech.

Rebecca is a classic. And probably more creepier than his other stuff, which is a bizarre thing to say, probably. Rope deserves a mention, too. I loved it.

In fact I found them all to be better than North by Northwest and Psycho.

I have to agree. From the Hitchcock films I've seen, Rear Window and Dial M for Murder are my favourites. North by Northwest was good too, but I've never really liked Psycho.

Rope was excellent. Hitchcock movies in the order I rate them: Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, Rebecca, To Catch A thief, Strangers on a train, North by Northwest, The Rope, 39 steps, Psycho, The Man Who Knew too much, Vertigo.

I saw 12 angry men and Rope.

12 angry men is great. The Hindi version is scene by scene copy of it but still it didn't ruin it for me. I only found the scene where they turn their backs to the bigot juror annoying.

Rope's fantastic though I think it could have been even much better, Hitchcock did not do full justice to the concept.

I don't get the hype about Psycho, it's pretty good but overrated IMO.

Has anyone seen...Shadow of a doubt?