Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Witch - Well, this was rather good. A striking and finely crafted film with the acting, cinematography and score all on point. The period dialogue was a nice touch too.

The Infiltrator | http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355631/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Great film about a undercover operation against one of Pablo Escobars money laundering schemes through "Bank of Credit and Commerce International". Based on a true story and the agent Robert Mazur is played brilliantly by Brian Cranston from "Breaking Bad". Great that it doesn't try and glorify the US or the three letter agencies since they also tell the story of how the bank in question was used by the US government to finance wars. Don't turn it off towards the end credits since you get a lot of real life photos and facts displayed.

7,5/10

The Witch - Well, this was rather good. A striking and finely crafted film with the acting, cinematography and score all on point. The period dialogue was a nice touch too.
I felt it was building up to be great, there's loads in there which is brilliant, but kind of fell flat ultimately. Still, a good film and I think it was the director's first film? Pretty great first effort.

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

I felt it was building up to be great, there's loads in there which is brilliant, but kind of fell flat ultimately. Still, a good film and I think it was the director's first film? Pretty great first effort.
There was something lacking, which I couldn't quite put my finger on before I went to bed in order to sleep on it, but I guess some sort of a grande finale, like you're kinda saying there, which never came.

Last edited:
There was something lacking, which I couldn't quite put my finger on before I went to bed in order to sleep on it, but I guess some sort of a grande finale, like your kinda saying there, which never came.
Yeah. Great performance by Black Phillip though.

I liked the witch but her only appearing in the middle of the film felt a bit lame, either show her again at end of the movie or not show her at all in order to keep the ambiguity going.
I don't think the film wanted to create a 'is there/isn't there' situation with regards to the witch.

I thought the film was ok but too boring overall. Had some good ideas though and a great effort for a first time film.

I don't think the film wanted to create a 'is there/isn't there' situation with regards to the witch.

I thought the film was ok but too boring overall. Had some good ideas though and a great effort for a first time film.
I liked that in a way.

I think Black Phillip just arbitrarily goring Finchy to death followed by a vague witches' sabbath was perhaps a little tame note to end it all on.

Or I don't know, it was indeed a great first effort. I see the director is now taking on a Nosferatu remake.

Last edited:
Faces - Yada yada yada, at least most of Cassavetes' other yada yada films have a nice vintage indie grit look to them that gives you a bit of breathing space now and then, but this was shot in B&W, is incredibly confining and just suffocating, which might have been the point but it's almost unwatchable either way.

Last edited:
The Purge Election Year: 7.5/10

Hell yeah, that was some thrilling action I needed on this boring Monday night.

Strangers on a Train.

Simple story about how to get away with murder, that does not quite work out.
Brilliant film, Fairly Grainger and Robert Walker played their part very well.
Classic Hitchcock, why has it taken me so long to watch it.

9/10

Rear Window.

Another Hitchcock I am watching for the first time, absolutely stunning film, James Stewart and Grace Kelly were faultless.
Thelma Ritter as Stella and Raymond Burr has Lars Thorwald, both played excellent parts
Hitchcock at his very best, again why has it taken me so long to watch it.
Easy scores for this.

10/10

Vertigo

A San Francisco detective suffering from acrophobia investigates the strange activities of an old friend's wife, all the while becoming dangerously obsessed with her.
James Stewart again , this time with Kim Novak.
Watched it first 5 years ago, it was even better this time round.
The music really adds to the suspense.
I gave it 7/10 last time, added one because I enjoyed it more.

8/10

Dial M for Murder.

Another re-watch from 5 years ago, this is what I said them, nothing more can be added.
What can I say , this film blew me away,
Ray Milland was excellent in it , this planing of his wife's murder was faultless.
Grace Kelly was stunning , what is it with leading lady's from these early films , they look so much better looking than today's
But for me the person that stole the show was John Williams ,playing Chief Inspector Hubbard , at times he looked like he did not have a clue what he was doing.
When he pretend to find the key on the floor , I did not have a clue where he was going with it , the ending with him on the phone combing his tash was just class.
Best of the Hitchcock films I have seen, just beating Rear Window.
I have no problem in giving this .

10/10

Rear Window's my favourite of his I've seen so far. Wasn't too sure on the ending at first but it was enjoyable as hell with all the trademark tension.

Strangers on a Train.

9/10

Rear Window.

Another Hitchcock I am watching for the first time, absolutely stunning film, James Stewart and Grace Kelly were faultless.
Thelma Ritter as Stella and Raymond Burr has Lars Thorwald, both played excellent parts
Easy scores for this.

10/10

Vertigo

A San Francisco detective suffering from acrophobia investigates the strange activities of an old friend's wife, all the while becoming dangerously obsessed with her.

8/10

Dial M for Murder.

Another re-watch from 5 years ago, this is what I said them, nothing more can be added.
Ray Milland was excellent in it , this planing of his wife's murder was faultless.
Grace Kelly was stunning , what is it with leading lady's from these early films , they look so much better looking than today's
But for me the person that stole the show was John Williams ,playing Chief Inspector Hubbard , at times he looked like he did not have a clue what he was doing.
When he pretend to find the key on the floor , I did not have a clue where he was going with it , the ending with him on the phone combing his tash was just class.

10/10
Quite different from your usual lists pauldy! :lol:

I have always refrained myself from watching movies that old but I think I'll watch one of Hitchcocks movies.

I have always refrained myself from watching movies that old but I think I'll watch one of Hitchcocks movies.

Don't limit yourself. There are some very good old films, they're called classics for a reason!

Strangers on a Train.

9/10

Rear Window.

Easy scores for this.

10/10

Vertigo

8/10

Dial M for Murder.

10/10
Who is this and how did you hack Pauldy's account?

I put off watching old films for years, I have a couple more Hitchcocks to watch North by North West and the one recommended to me Rope.
I will be back watching my crap soon.
Dont be put off watching old Black and white films, most are better than the rubbish made today.
If you are only going to watch a couple of Hitchcock, Dial M and Rear Window should be your first stop.

what is Le Mans like? The Steve McQueen film.

I liked it but probably because I've been to the race and understand the whole build-up thing. There's not much in the way of story or script....it's mostly SM being cool.

Why don't you try Orson Welles' "F is For Fake"? I reckon you might enjoy that.

I liked it but probably because I've been to the race and understand the whole build-up thing. There's not much in the way of story or script....it's mostly SM being cool.

Why don't you try Orson Welles' "F is For Fake"? I reckon you might enjoy that.
Cheers will add it to my list, I am a big motor sport fan so will give it a watch

North by Northwest

Another very good Hitchcock, not up there with Dial or Rear Window and for me Grant and Eva Marie Saint dont have the same presence has Stewart and Kelly or Novak.
Grant and Saint were still excellent, with Mason and Landau both very good.

8/10

Rope

Two young men strangle their "inferior" classmate, hide his body in their apartment, and invite his friends and family to a dinner party as a means to challenge the "perfection" of their crime.
For me the weakest of the Hitchcock films I have watched so far, but still an excellent film.
All the acting was good, none more so than James Stewart.

7/10

Heaven Knows What - Really liked this. A vivid look at junkies in NYC with a refreshingly realistic potrayal of their behaviour. It's based on lead actress Arielle Holmes (who's just <3) real life story which gives it an air of authenticity. The Isao Tomita heavy soundtrack was nice though sometimes I wondered if it really fitted certain scenes.

I took a long hard look at the poster a while ago, saw all the wigs on display and decided to give it a miss.
Yup, enjoyed him in TBS too. Will look into the two mentioned.
Oh sorry should have said Lars And The Real Girl is the title of the film.

Here's the trailer

I took a long hard look at the poster a while ago, saw all the wigs on display and decided to give it a miss.

The Big Short is well worth a watch, not to big the film up to much but it had the feel of a modern Doctor Strange Love - minus the Nazi and Commies.

Last edited: