Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Shanghai Express - There was definitely a great film in here somewhere, I liked it but also I had a few qualms about it. It did had a nice pre-code Hollywood vibe to it and Marlene Dietrich was absolutely radiant in her role, unfortunately though her male co-star was just a complete charisma vacuum. The setting was perfect (a train) but after they got off it the whole conflict that arose was rather weak. It was nice however to see a strong Asian and female character in an early Hollywood film, even though Charlie Chan served as the villain.

Purple Noon - I thought this was a really good and gorgeous looking film, with gorgeous locations and people (young Alain Delon is just all kinds of :drool:). After having seen A Bigger Splash and this I just really want to drop everything and leave for Italy. The only criticism I have is the ending, which was pretty lame.

Wow. That's odd in 1930s to have a chinese playing well... Chinese...

This is the age where they put make up on westerner to look like a japanese

Sicario: Benicio del Toro. Maybe my favorite actor of his generation. Seemed like Emily Blunt was trying too hard.

My proximity to the events may color my review. You don't just walk into a bar and ask for two beers round there; that's just asking for a hurtin' if you give them Coors Light instead of Bud Light.

7/10

Tbf she was supposed to try hard, she's just a rookie pd going into a drug lord den

Wow. That's odd in 1930s to have a chinese playing well... Chinese...

This is the age where they put make up on westerner to look like a japanese
7001104_f260.jpg

What film or show was that actor in, mate? It rings a bell but I can't remember it. Can't recall whether it was a racist interlude featuring a 'funny' Asian man or something showing the racism in cinema at that time...

What film or show was that actor in, mate? It rings a bell but I can't remember it. Can't recall whether it was a racist interlude featuring a 'funny' Asian man or something showing the racism in cinema at that time...
That's Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's iirc

Christ, I'd never have recognised him.

For a sec, I thought it might've been from the sequence in the excellent Dragon (the Bruce Lee pio-pic), in which Bruce complains about racist sterotypes of Chinese people in movies.

In Remo Unarmed And Dangerous, they had a white actor playing a Korean. That was in the mid eighties!

Satanic
Four friends go on a tour of the occult and end up getting way more than they bargained for after giving shelter to a satan worshipping girl. The trailer for this looked awesome but the film was anything but. Every horror cliche/trope/mistake that I can't stand were present... especially STUPID decisions made by characters that writers got away with in the 90s but no way is that acceptable in today's horror films. Boring, badly acted, unlikeable characters, awful dialogue, boring, unoriginal etc. Wasted 90 minutes 1/10

London Has Fallen - I wasn't expecting much so just started it on Netflix but found it was actually quite an enjoyable romp. Gerald Butler plays a crude meathead with a dodgy accent (so basically himself) who kicks the shit out of England. Terrible script, loads of cliches, massive plot holes and yet it was great, mindless fun. Butler has a weird face though...like him and Daniel Craig smashed heads together and then got leathered with a sledgehammer. 7/10

Satanic
Four friends go on a tour of the occult and end up getting way more than they bargained for after giving shelter to a satan worshipping girl. The trailer for this looked awesome but the film was anything but. Every horror cliche/trope/mistake that I can't stand were present... especially STUPID decisions made by characters that writers got away with in the 90s but no way is that acceptable in today's horror films. Boring, badly acted, unlikeable characters, awful dialogue, boring, unoriginal etc. Wasted 90 minutes 1/10

There will be tits.

No?

It was only thanks to Master of None that I realised that the guy from Short Circuit 2 was a white British guy...

2020-ben-fisher-stevens-short-circuit-launch-3.jpg

I've always wondered how Kubrick found so many magnificent tits for Eyes Wide Shut. Must have been incredible working in casting for that film.

I've always wondered how Kubrick found so many magnificent tits for Eyes Wide Shut. Must have been incredible working in casting for that film.
Or filming THAT scene. Must have been awkward as feck with so many people wandering around naked doing all kinds of sexual stuff.

Purple Noon - I thought this was a really good and gorgeous looking film, with gorgeous locations and people (young Alain Delon is just all kinds of :drool:). After having seen A Bigger Splash and this I just really want to drop everything and leave for Italy. The only criticism I have is the ending, which was pretty lame.

One of my favourites, agree about the ending, a tad over done.

Bridge of Spies

During the Cold War, an American lawyer is recruited to defend an arrested Soviet spy in court, and then help the CIA facilitate an exchange of the spy for the Soviet captured American U2 spy plane pilot, Francis Gary Powers.

Normally the sort of movie I'd love but despite impressive scenery (the building of the Berlin Wall was very well done), I found the film a bit slow and the build up of tension a let down. Interesting story though.

6/10

It was only thanks to Master of None that I realised that the guy from Short Circuit 2 was a white British guy...

2020-ben-fisher-stevens-short-circuit-launch-3.jpg
Also the robot was shamelessly voiced by a human and was not the product of artificial cognisance.

Remember the Japanese James Bond:
worst-bond-disguise.jpg

And Nils Asther another Swede played General Yen:
images

Satanic
I have this to watch on the strength of the trailer :(

Wiener-Dog. Less dark, less funny Solondz but enjoyable all the same, he seems to be softening with age. A couple of laugh out loud moments.

All The Way - About Lyndon B Johnson taking over the presidency after JFK was assassinated up until his election. Interesting enough if you are not familar with what happened, which I wasn't. Bryan Cranston is great as Johnson, though Mackie is really underwhelming as Martin Luther King. 6/10

Enemy
Jake Gyllenhall stars in this film about a man who spots his doppleganger in a film and starts to stalk him. Artistically shot, this is one of those pretentious films that thinks it's more clever than it really is. I loved the camera work and it starts off quite well but once the two characters meet, it just goes downhill. Too many long pauses between dialogue and the dialogue itself is very unnatural. I was quite bored watching this 4/10

I also see that Matt Damon has been handed the role of leading the Chinese in a fight against monsters at the Great Wall in his new film. Just give it to an Asian actor ffs.

“Our film is not about the construction of the Great Wall. Matt Damon is not playing a role that was originally conceived for a Chinese actor,” Yimou added. “The arrival of his character in our story is an important plot point. There are five major heroes in our story and he is one of them — the other four are all Chinese. The collective struggle and sacrifice of these heroes are the emotional heart of our film.”

The helmer concluded his statement by saying, “As the director of over 20 Chinese language films and the Beijing Olympics, I have not and will not cast a film in a way that was untrue to my artistic vision. I hope when everyone sees the film and is armed with the facts they will agree.”

There is a genuine reason for these castings, it's the star power, even if they aren't superstars in some cases, needed, to get the film into production. It's like Ghost in the Shell and Scarlett, she's legit the only woman in Hollywood who can get a film made by being cast, so she was as the production stalled. As above Matt Damon is one of the very few male actors in the same position.

Going back, actors were exclusive to studios themselves, which is why is was probably even more common. Just taking whatever to finish said contracts, kinda like Nortons super hammy performance in Italian Job.

Independence Day 2 I read the terrible reviews so had very low expectations but it was far far worse than the reviews led me to believe. I mean unbelievably bad. So bad that Armageddon and The Day After Tomorrow are Oscar winners by comparison. There aren't plot holes in much the same way the Pacific isn't a huge island with a few ponds on it. If you don't like someone then tell them to watch this. If you want to punish yourself then watch it. Poking yourself in the eyes with hot pins is more entertaining. It is that bad. And apparently there are 2 more to come. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo -9/10

Independence Day 2 I read the terrible reviews so had very low expectations but it was far far worse than the reviews led me to believe. I mean unbelievably bad. So bad that Armageddon and The Day After Tomorrow are Oscar winners by comparison. There aren't plot holes in much the same way the Pacific isn't a huge island with a few ponds on it. If you don't like someone then tell them to watch this. If you want to punish yourself then watch it. Poking yourself in the eyes with hot pins is more entertaining. It is that bad. And apparently there are 2 more to come. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo -9/10
Wow those aliens are really intent on invading Earth. Can't fault their determination.

Supermensch - The Legend of Shep Gordon Fantastic documentary about a guy who has lived a hell of a life as a rock'n'roll manager, chef, friend to the stars, Dalai Lama mate, Sharon Stone consort and all kinds of other stuff. You've probably never heard of him but you'll wish you'd lived his life after seeing this. 8/10