Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I don't even understand why so many of you start watching Independence day 2. It's pretty evident from the many reviews that it's completely shit, why even put it on?

I don't even understand why so many of you start watching Independence day 2. It's pretty evident from the many reviews that it's completely shit, why even put it on?

They're watching for The Goldblum.

giphy.gif

Akira: Pretty stunning animation but wasn't blown away by the story..

Ghost in the Shell: Preferred this. Once again, stunning animation but the story was also more intriguing and the soundtrack was so good at times.

Spirited Away
: Very charming, imaginative and pretty gorgeous to look at. A really lovely film.

Frank: Funny at times and a nice concept but I thought it got a bit boring after a while.

Hunger: Powerful film. Shows a lot can be told in a film without a lot being said.

Event Horizon: Very, very stupid film - but in a good way.

The guy that made Independence day 2 should never again be allowed to make a movie. How it is possible to make such a shit movie with a big budget, aliens, explosions and cheese is beyond me.

You can seldom go that wrong with those ingredients. But this was an actual crime against humanity, and almost on par with the Reischkansler.

Edit: Aha, now I see. This is the cnut that made the travesty "Day after tomorrow" as well, plus absolutely slaughtered the legend that is Godzilla in his Americanized 1998 Godzilla movie. What a shit craftsman.

Last edited:
Anyone seen Swiss Army Man? It's batshit insane but also kinda magical. I need a good week to ponder, but might sneak into my top 100 list.
I've seen it and kinda feel like I need to see it again to confirm my opinion. Such a charming film but I was constantly wondering what the Fcuk was going on. Really enjoyed it and thought Dano and Radcliffe were excellent together.

Independence Day 2 I read the terrible reviews so had very low expectations but it was far far worse than the reviews led me to believe. I mean unbelievably bad. So bad that Armageddon and The Day After Tomorrow are Oscar winners by comparison. There aren't plot holes in much the same way the Pacific isn't a huge island with a few ponds on it. If you don't like someone then tell them to watch this. If you want to punish yourself then watch it. Poking yourself in the eyes with hot pins is more entertaining. It is that bad. And apparently there are 2 more to come. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo -9/10
WOW really that bad.

Friday night, 33% on Rotten Tomatoes, awesome nearly 4GB 1080p download and the thought that it was probably bad but enjoyable like many blockbusters are. Oh how wrong I was.

Friday night, 33% on Rotten Tomatoes, awesome nearly 4GB 1080p download and the thought that it was probably bad but enjoyable like many blockbusters are. Oh how wrong I was.
:lol: You're saying that like it's a good thing!

Last edited:
Well not for a proper film but I though it wasn't that bad for a mindless action film that obviously wasn't as good as the original.

I can't see how this mess got 1%

I watched Castle in the Sky again yesterday whilst hungover, hadn't seen it for years and it was kinda better than I remember it being, took me by surprise. I think it's because I watched the dub with Dawson's Creek the first time. Studio Ghibli's just insanely brilliant. I even shed a little tear at the last few scenes in my miserable hungover state.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople NZ made comedy drama staring Sam Neil. Lots of belly laughs and more than a few heartfelt moments. Far and away my film of the year to date. You don't need to know more about it. Just watch it.9/10

I think life felt that it owed me one after serving me up the utter turd that was Independence Day 2 last night.

I just got back from watching Once upon a time in the West on a big screen, restored copy and everything. Fecking hell it was good, I think I'd actually never seen it in full.

The feels

Hunt for the Wilderpeople NZ made comedy drama staring Sam Neil. Lots of belly laughs and more than a few heartfelt moments. Far and away my film of the year to date. You don't need to know more about it. Just watch it.9/10

I think life felt that it owed me one after serving me up the utter turd that was Independence Day 2 last night.

Loved it from start to finish:drool:

Watched Ghostbusters (2016) and Coherence.

Puzzled how anyone can say Kate McKinnon was the best in the former, easily the worst part. Well, along with the script. And fart jokes.

The latter was excellent I thought. More accessible, and just more interesting than something like Primer for instance, yet with still some unanswered questions at the end.

Watched Ghostbusters (2016) and Coherence.

Puzzled how anyone can say Kate McKinnon was the best in the former, easily the worst part. Well, along with the script. And fart jokes.

The latter was excellent I thought. More accessible, and just more interesting than something like Primer for instance, yet with still some unanswered questions at the end.

Really enjoyed Coherence !

Really enjoyed Coherence !

Yeah, it was quite an enjoyable experience. Maybe would've preferred if Hugh's brother wasn't mentioned, along with the book, but it's a small thing.

Anyone seen these?

The Invitation
Enemy
Timecrimes
Predestination
Blood Punch
Time Lapse
Exam
Parallels
Enter Nowhere
The Frame
Sound of My Voice
Upstream Color

Already have The One I Love and Triangle. Guess they might be similar as the mind puzzling subgenre...got in that mood.

Yeah, it was quite an enjoyable experience. Maybe would've preferred if Hugh's brother wasn't mentioned, along with the book, but it's a small thing.

Anyone seen these?

The Invitation - excellent film. Really tense
Enemy - pretentious and boring
Timecrimes
Predestination - weird film that is divisive. I loved it but many also hate it.
Blood Punch
Time Lapse
Exam - enjoyable film. Ending let's it down.
Parallels
Enter Nowhere
The Frame
Sound of My Voice - slow thriller mystery. Quite enjoyed it personally
Upstream Color

Already have The One I Love and Triangle. Guess they might be similar as the mind puzzling subgenre...got in that mood.

Upstream Color and Britt Marling has sort of put me off from watching modern American indie films, so humorless and not as clever/profound as they think they are, that's just after watching two or three films though...so massive prejudice on my part...

Watched Blue Velvet again, just effin great.

Which later led me to Dennis Hopper's directorial effort Out of the Blue (1980), which I thought was a kinda messy affair but with a nice gritty feel to it and great performances from Linda Manz and Hopper. Nice soundtrack too. I think it's probably a bit underrated.

Excellent recommendation.

Bit like a Wes Anderson movie, but with authentic Aussie/NZ humour.

I haven't met anyone who didn't love this film yet. I suspect I'll watch it again which is unusual for me.
I wasn't expecting anything going into it, but it's pretty close to being flawless. Perfect mix of drama and comedy. Doesn't take itself too seriously, but isn't empty. Will most likely watch it again myself.

I wasn't expecting anything going into it, but it's pretty close to being flawless. Perfect mix of drama and comedy. Doesn't take itself too seriously, but isn't empty. Will most likely watch it again myself.

The play dead/bunker bit still has me chuckling.