Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The bastardised version, which I've heard is inferior. It was on film 4 and I remembered that I'd always wanted to see it. I will definitely be ordering parts 1 and 2 in the near future. I'd imagine the characters are developed a lot more.

To be fair, I've never actually seen the 2 and a half hour version, so I don't know how bastardised it actually is!... but they obviously must miss a fair chunk of stuff out, and considering I find parts 1 and 2 to be fantastic viewing from start to finish... well, you might as well just stick to the full version!

Cabin In The Woods

Was someone stoned when they came up with this? That's the only explanation I can see for it.

I imagine it came about when someone said to his mate "Hey, what if......*spoilers*.....' and then someone overheard it and decided to make a film from it.

The ending is batshit crazy.

This is for Omar remember...

Thriller - The Goonies

Comedy - The Green Mile

I've watched dumb and dumber.
And i don't want so old movies :p

Have you seen 21 Jump Street? It has some pretty funny moments.

Or a must is 'Don't Be a Menace' from the Wayans brothers. If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it, you'll laugh your tits off.

Have you seen 21 Jump Street? It has some pretty funny moments.

Or a must is 'Don't Be a Menace' from the Wayans brothers. If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it, you'll laugh your tits off.
Yup 21 jump street was really good. Enjoyed it very much.

Alright thanks. Off to watch that.

The amazing spiderman - I think that it was near trilogy's level, probably slightly better. Andrew Garfield was funny, Emma Stone was hot and the story like most of superhero movies story was mediocre. 7/10

The Hunger Games - I hadn't the chance of seeing it before, so I watched it today. I liked it very much and the parts with Jennifer Lawrence and that little girl were pretty touching. Unlike many other survival movies it had a lot of drama and not only stupid action scenes. 8/10

I saw up to the part where the main character was treed by that gang, including that lad from her district. did it get better after that?

I saw up to the part where the main character was treed by that gang, including that lad from her district. did it get better after that?

Yes. I thought it was pretty good. Jennifer Lawrence is amazingly hot, and the main guy in it looked like Phil Jones.

Yes, from there starts the show. It really had some dramatic moments. Definitely worthy to watch.

I just saw Tabloid, a documentary by Errol Morris. It's hard to summarize but it involves a mormon abduction in the 70's and cloning of dogs in Korea in the 2000's. Highly recommended!

Still Walking - Hirokazu Koreeda (2008)

Drama of a modern Japanese family meeting up for the anniversary of the death of a family member (which I guess is tradition in Japan) with all the ensuing airing of familial dirty laundry and whatnot, but done in a subtle, Japanese sort of way. Really beautifully pulled off and filmed in a poetic, distant manner. The father was an ass, the only thing unlikeable about this fantastic film.

8 1/2 cocks up.

Total Recall 7/10 - A very action movie, with not that much drama, but with two hot chicks. Story wasn't that good. Anyway, Kate Beckinsale IMO is really the best fighting girl ever (even better than Jennifer Garner, Uma Thurman and Carrie Anne Moss).

Shadowdancer 3/10

Shallowdance would be a better title for this 1993-set IRA drama. Totally unbelievable bollox with a plot with more holes than a colander. Nice illustration of just how shit an actor Clive Owen is.

Cabin In The Woods

Was someone stoned when they came up with this? That's the only explanation I can see for it.

I imagine it came about when someone said to his mate "Hey, what if......*spoilers*.....' and then someone overheard it and decided to make a film from it.

The ending is batshit crazy.

Yeah, strange film, it paid homage to every horror genre known to man...yeah it had it all, cheesy acting,'teens' getting slashed, reality TV style voyeurism, and every other horror cliché you can think of. No doubt some folk will find a deeper meaning way from the obvious, but...I must admit to be struggling to find anything positive about the film. Perhaps it's best watched when totally monged out. Or something.

The Dictator (Cohen not Chaplin) 1,5/10

Nothing redeeming about the first hour or so. (I couldn't finish it.) It's not funny and it's not even remotely politically cutting. What the feck is this supposed to be?

Bamboozled (2000, Spike Lee) 1/10

A seriously shit film. I want to like Spike Lee, and he has a few almost decent to decent movies, but this film is the worst I've seen this year, by far.

Do the Right Thing was his masterpiece. Will be interesting to see how his Oldboy remake turns out...I'm still having trouble picturing an American remake in my head.

The Avengers 8/10

Very entertaining, despite a somewhat weak plot, poor villain, and clichéd dialogue.

And Cobie Smulders is fecking hot, though her character was essentially completely pointless.

Yeah I watched that on...erm...DVD recently and the dip in appreciation on the second viewing was quite large. There are only 3 kinds of line in The Avengers. One is "semi-clunky comic book plot exposition" another is "reminder of character traits/powers/backstory" (which heavily crosses over into clunky exposition territory) and finally "quips"

So yeah, it's average to pretty good when the hype's died down. Nothing too amazing.

We Need to Talk About Kevin - Weird. Usually my kind of film but I really struggled with it, just couldn't get into it, perhaps I but it on at a bad time. It was by no means a bad film though...good acting stuff from Swinton and co.

I tried watching this a while ago and struggled aswel, might have been due to the fact that I threw it on one Sunday afternoon whilst suffering a severe case of the fear, very poor choice indeed.

Could probably only have been made worse if I watched something along the lines of "sherry baby" with maggie gyllenhall, fecking depressing flick.

Ides of March 7/10

Thought this was quality !!!

I thought We Need to Talk About Kevin was pretty good. I really wanted to beat that little turd.

Watched Dog Day Afternoon for the first time tonight. Brilliant film. Pacino's at his best and is arguably better here than he is in the Godfather films. John Cazale is superb too and they make an excellent pair. It's such a shame Cazale died so young; could've gone down as a great actor with more great movies if he'd lived.

Watched Dog Day Afternoon for the first time tonight. Brilliant film. Pacino's at his best and is arguably better here than he is in the Godfather films. John Cazale is superb too and they make an excellent pair. It's such a shame Cazale died so young; could've gone down as a great actor with more great movies if he'd lived.

There's a documentary on Cazale called I Knew it Was You. Good stuff. Fantastic actor who died way too young. Was Meryl Streep's boyfriend while he was dying during the filming of The Deer Hunter. Whenever I think of 70s American cinema his massive forehead pops into my mind.

Yeah, his facial complexion certainly was strange. Such a shame though. Him and Pacino go hand in hand and they could've made some more great movies together. This one was better than I expected it to be though. I'd heard it was only good for Pacino's performance but I thought the whole movie was superb.

The Avengers Superheroes save the world from some supernatural dude. Good action but a huge yawn. 5/10

"A Fistful of Dollars" is probably Eastwood at his best. "Unforgiven" is a better movie, but you have to consider the budged of "A Fistful of Dollars" and the time it was made, this was the movie that launched the Eastwood western franchise, his whole movie persona, even Dirty Harry, is based on 'The Stranger' from his work with Sergio Leone.

If you've never watched any old Eastwood westerns, the three you have to see are this one, "A Few Dollars More" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". Gian Maria Volonté is brilliant as well as the villain Ramon Rojo.

9/10

Bamboozled (2000, Spike Lee) 1/10

A seriously shit film. I want to like Spike Lee, and he has a few almost decent to decent movies, but this film is the worst I've seen this year, by far.

Spike Lee has at least 2 movies that are more than just decent, Malcolm X was fantastic, one of my many favorite movies. I also really liked Inside Man, much better on the 2nd viewing, which is rare for a movie.

Summer of Sam was decent, maybe not the most exciting movie but an interesting look at NYC at the time. He Got Game was also decent, and I enjoyed Clockers as well. More good films than most directors.