Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Can i request for a non english movie section, probably falls under foreign language, since there are lots of gems in other language as well, and it probably warrant it's own thread.

I think there's an old thread about foreign films but I see nothing wrong with another thread exclusively about World Cinema discussion!

God Bless America: Interesting film which features a man with a terminal illness that's had enough of the dumbing down of Amercan culture. He teams up with a teenager and goes on a killing spree to wipe out the worst offenders.

It was enjoyable, but left me feeling unsatisfied and I can't quite put my finger on the reason. Perhaps I wanted it to be better than it was!

That's the Bobcat Goldtwaith movie isn't it? The one with a fecked up dream sequence where a guy shoots a baby with a shotgun and what have you?

Heard Bobcat say on a podcast that you'll know in the first few minutes if that movie is for you or not.

Saw a few films this weekend.

I finally got around to watching Casablanca, thanks to this thread as it has been discussed a while back. I must thank you, as I needed a push to watch this one (you maybe know that feeling, when a film has a huge reputation and you're almost too impressed to turn it on). It was definitely worth it. Bogart is class, Bergman is beautiful, Claude Rains was brilliant in the part of Louis, the music was very enjoyable and all the dialogue was great. Love the Marseillaise part, and that ending is top notch. Just hard to take some of the film seriously when you've seen Hot Shots Part Deux beforehand, but brilliant nonetheless.

Also saw Brave, very much enjoyed it. Not as brilliant as Wall-E or as poetic as Up! but still pretty good. I was quite surprised by the plot, I hadn't read anything about it and didn't expect that. But it was a good surprise. Pixar, as usual, hits the spot with the different themes that are addressed in the film and brings out a smile and a laugh when necessary. As for the animation, needless to say that it was beautiful (but that was expected).

Finally, I went to see The five year engagement and was very disappointed. I wasn't expecting anything amazing of course, just a low key romantic comedy and as Judd Appatow was producing, I thought it couldn't be that bad. It was. It's basically Emily Blunt being a bitch during 90 minutes and imposing her crappy life to her boyfriend who had a great career ahead of him. The thing is, you can't relate to any of the characters. Jason Segel is too much of a martyr and no one would ever put up with what he puts himself through. And the end was dreadful. Anyway I wouldn't recommend it.

Warrior

I've been looking forward to getting a chance to watch this... finally got hold of a good copy of it and sat down to watch it yesterday, and I was incredibly disappointed, so much so I fancy having a bit of my rant about my various problems with the film...
The trailer - Gave entirely too much of the film away... despite the film being incredibly formulaic, I still could have done without the trailer literally telling me how the movie would end. Alas, that's the world we live in these days.

The stakes - The stakes in this film were far too high... so much so it took me out of the film. We're meant to believe that these two guys could stumble into a tournament that contained the 16 best fighters in the world?! How small is the world exactly? And a purse of £5mil... it was all just very unnecessary. The same could have been achieved with a Pennsylvania tournament that had a purse of 500k, and that would have retained a good amount of believability. I have no idea why some films always need to make the stakes ridiculously big.

The tournament - So, one brother makes it through to the final with minimal effort, the other makes it through whilst taking a pounding every step of the way, and who wins??... I know it's an underdog story, but again, it just struck me as a bit daft. I could buy him fluking his way through the first two fights... I was at the edge of believability for the third, and by the fourth I was totally out. The fact that the fella hadn't sustained any injuries up till that point was also some minor miracle. They also made a point of saying he wasn't a great UFC fighter, and now he was past 30... again, I get the underdog story, but a good underdog story should give me reason to believe it could actually happen.

The resolution - There was none. I had thought it was meant to be a story about this family coming together, but it didn't happen in any logical manner. Apparently, when your brother breaks your arm, and then punishes it further in order to win a fight... thats the basis for you to forgive him?? And where did the father fit in? Meh... the ending just made me feel like I'd wasted my time.

I suppose the acting was pretty good though...

That's the Bobcat Goldtwaith movie isn't it? The one with a fecked up dream sequence where a guy shoots a baby with a shotgun and what have you?

Heard Bobcat say on a podcast that you'll know in the first few minutes if that movie is for you or not.

That's the one.

It had promise, but didn't quite live up to it.

Warrior

I've been looking forward to getting a chance to watch this... finally got hold of a good copy of it and sat down to watch it yesterday, and I was incredibly disappointed, so much so I fancy having a bit of my rant about my various problems with the film...
The trailer - Gave entirely too much of the film away... despite the film being incredibly formulaic, I still could have done without the trailer literally telling me how the movie would end. Alas, that's the world we live in these days.

The stakes - The stakes in this film were far too high... so much so it took me out of the film. We're meant to believe that these two guys could stumble into a tournament that contained the 16 best fighters in the world?! How small is the world exactly? And a purse of £5mil... it was all just very unnecessary. The same could have been achieved with a Pennsylvania tournament that had a purse of 500k, and that would have retained a good amount of believability. I have no idea why some films always need to make the stakes ridiculously big.

The tournament - So, one brother makes it through to the final with minimal effort, the other makes it through whilst taking a pounding every step of the way, and who wins??... I know it's an underdog story, but again, it just struck me as a bit daft. I could buy him fluking his way through the first two fights... I was at the edge of believability for the third, and by the fourth I was totally out. The fact that the fella hadn't sustained any injuries up till that point was also some minor miracle. They also made a point of saying he wasn't a great UFC fighter, and now he was past 30... again, I get the underdog story, but a good underdog story should give me reason to believe it could actually happen.

The resolution - There was none. I had thought it was meant to be a story about this family coming together, but it didn't happen in any logical manner. Apparently, when your brother breaks your arm, and then punishes it further in order to win a fight... thats the basis for you to forgive him?? And where did the father fit in? Meh... the ending just made me feel like I'd wasted my time.

Agree with all of the points, specially the ending.

Right, been through a large chunk of this thread, just felt like posting a few mini reviews of films that come back frequently.

Sunshine is one of my favourite films. I can watch it over and over again. The acting is perfect I think, the special effects are brilliant as is the cinematography. Also, I love John Murphy's score. I was not annoyed at all by the 3rd act which not everyone enjoys, I think it directly addresses the different themes of the film, such as man's place in the universe and the whole science vs. God part. A beautiful movie.

Battleship quite a few reviews some pages back, most pretty bad... And I agree that in no way is this a good movie, but I went to see it with three mates, and it was so much fun. I don't think Peter Berg shot this film seriously, like Michael Bay would basically, it was all too much to be real. Some elements seemed to point towards that interpretation, such as the moment towards the end when he cites Sun Tzu, and the Japanese guy tells him he's completely misunderstood the quote. It just doesn't seem like it's meant to be taken seriously, kind of like a Starship Troopers (without the political genius of Starship Troopers). I felt it was almost a parody of what all blockbusters are nowadays (the ultra patriotism, the cliché actors and situations, the over the top scenes) and made fun of it, which is why I enjoyed it very much.

Mysterious Skin which hasn't been talked about that much but is definitely worth seeing I think. It's a powerful film about paedophilia, starring Joseph Gordon Levitt a few years ago where he was already very good. Some hard stuff in it, but a very interesting and moving film.

Scott Pilgrim : I love this film, I think the repeat value is great (so much stuff you discover after multiple viewings) and I think Edgar Wright is a brilliant director. The way the film is put together is impressive, the editing is top notch (during the first half hour or so there's not one break between scenes). Also really enjoy the music.

Now Taken is one that is pretty well reviewed here, but I just don't get it. It just seems silly. Basically Liam Neeson needs an answer, goes somewhere, smashes people to bits, gets an answer, goes to the next place, beats some more people to bits and gets another answer, goes to next place, etc. Depicts Paris stupidly, the places look like downtown LA most of the time with gangsters, prostitutes and drug dealers... which isn't actually the case. I don't really care about that though to be fair. I don't know, just couldn't get into it.

Really like The Grey though, watched it a couple of days ago. The beginning was very strong and the second part didn't quite live up to the expectations, but altogether it was pretty good. Also liked all the Hobbes "man is a wolf to man" theme.

Saw that The Raid had been discussed here, I agree with what has been said: pure action packed, brilliant choreography, the fights are really well filmed which isn't usually the case in such films. No plot or characterization, but a hell of an action film.

I'm one of the Drive fans, think it's a beautiful slow paced gangster film hommage with a couple of very good scenes. The score was perfect and some of the shots were beautiful. One of my favourite films of 2011, if not my favourite.

Finally, I loved Tree of Life, although I admit that I'm a good audience for anything Malick does. This is probably his most flawed film, and there are many things I don't like in the picture (the ending is horrible I find), but there's so much pure cinema and moments of brilliance in there that it's all washed away. I'd recommend it to anyone but would tell people to beware, it's not an easy going film and very unconventional.

Right, been through a large chunk of this thread, just felt like posting a few mini reviews of films that come back frequently.

Sunshine is one of my favourite films. I can watch it over and over again. The acting is perfect I think, the special effects are brilliant as is the cinematography. Also, I love John Murphy's score. I was not annoyed at all by the 3rd act which not everyone enjoys, I think it directly addresses the different themes of the film, such as man's place in the universe and the whole science vs. God part. A beautiful movie.

I like you. We can be friends.

Sunshine is brilliant. So is Warrior, but what can you expect from a guy who enjoys WWE.

A more coherant plot? And a more believable underdog to root for in a more realistic scenario? Something that's not half a movie?

Sunshine is incredible though. Amongst my favourite films... I can watch it repeatidly.

Warrior

Yet you enjoy watching WWE? :angel:

I think this film is best thought of as an up to date version of Rocky. Once you lower your expectations regarding the fight scenes on that basis, it's all good fun.

Warrior's exasperating plot contrivances, focus group pandering and lazy Moby Dick allusions should make it almost unwatchable. But somehow it was able to hold my attention. And when it got to the tournament, it delivered a satisfying bone crunching spectacle. It's like a human version of Real Steel.

Yet you enjoy watching WWE? :angel:

I think this film is best thought of as an up to date version of Rocky. Once you lower your expectations regarding the fight scenes on that basis, it's all good fun.

:lol: That's going to follow me round like the plague on here from now on... and for this, I soley blame you! (not myself for watching it in the first place of course)

I actually quite liked the fight scenes, and in general how the film was shot and acted. I just wanted a bit more believability within the story, as then I think I could have got behind Joel Edgertons charcter a bit more. Also could have used some form of resolution to the brothers/family woes, and it's a shame we didn't get that, as the film had built up some decent characters... Especially Tom Hardy's. As it was, the film just ended.

The thing about Rocky was, whilst it was all fantastical and cliched, you could at least see how he managed to get the opportunity... it certainly wasn't as far-fetched as Warrior. Rocky 1 anyway...

Warrior's exasperating plot contrivances, focus group pandering and lazy Moby Dick allusions should make it almost unwatchable. But somehow it was able to hold my attention. And when it got to the tournament, it delivered a satisfying bone crunching spectacle. It's like a human version of Real Steel.

I think if it had been as camp/cheesy as Reel Steel, I probably would have been much more forgiving of it.

The actual fight scenes of Warrior were great though, I don't have any bones to pick there.

I think Tom Hardy deserves a lot of credit for that. I have an almost unhealthy man crush on him. He's got one of the most captivating screen presences I've seen in years.

It's been quite divisive, but I think the consensus is generally he smashes it. I loved it personally. He does a very silly constipated posh voice that's completely add odds with what the character looks like, but somehow, contrary to all common sense, it works. There's a lot of eye acting indeed. And cool walking whilst holding his lapels. There's really no way it should be as good as it is. On paper it sounds ludicrous.

The way he portrayed Bronson was really over the top and cartoonish but completely gripping. I can well believe he gives a comic book villain that bit of emotional heft the role needs to stop it getting too silly.

Even when you can't see his oh so kissable mouth...

I mean I was wasted when I saw it yet it didn't even make me raise one smile. I like a bit of over the top humour as much as the next guy but this was just lazy, lacking energy...completely flat.

That's funny, it's one of my all-time favourite comedies. Will Ferrell makes me laugh whatever he does, and the whole cast, I think, is brilliant. It's a bit of a cult film among my friends and I, I must have seen it I don't know how many times, but I still think it's brilliant. Can't wait for the sequel to come out.

Do you usually like Will Ferrell's stuff? I know he annoys some people.

X - The Unheard Music - W.T. Morgan (1986)

Fantastic rock documentary on the L.A. band, X, in their early 80s prime. Don't think this band made it very big outside the US, or California for that matter. One of my personal favs of all time though. Very competent musicians who blended a sort of punk/rockabilly/folk artistic sensability. They were definately a change in Southern California music away from the jangily guitar folksy hippyish sounds to a more L.A. working class Bukowski-esque rock rockabilly, although they maintained a strong link to the old L.A. scene through their producer and biggest fan, Ray Manzarek of The Doors fame. Great live band though the concerts could be a bit dangerous as it seemed all the crazy motherfeckers in L.A. were X heads.

The documentary shows a lot of the singer Exene's dark artwork and unique vocal songwriting partnership with band leader John Doe. You also get a taste of the art punk inspired influences of the L.A. rock scene in the early 80s before it was erased by the Motley Crue/Poison/Buns & Hoses hair band bollocks later on. Shame these guys didn't make it bigger, but I guess the record company suits just weren't that into them. We highly recommend their first 4 albums, especially if you think 80s American rock was crap.

That's funny, it's one of my all-time favourite comedies. Will Ferrell makes me laugh whatever he does, and the whole cast, I think, is brilliant. It's a bit of a cult film among my friends and I, I must have seen it I don't know how many times, but I still think it's brilliant. Can't wait for the sequel to come out.

Do you usually like Will Ferrell's stuff? I know he annoys some people.

Not usually a fan of his, no

X - The Unheard Music - W.T. Morgan (1986)

Fantastic rock documentary on the L.A. band, X, in their early 80s prime. Don't think this band made it very big outside the US, or California for that matter. One of my personal favs of all time though. Very competent musicians who blended a sort of punk/rockabilly/folk artistic sensability. They were definately a change in Southern California music away from the jangily guitar folksy hippyish sounds to a more L.A. working class Bukowski-esque rock rockabilly, although they maintained a strong link to the old L.A. scene through their producer and biggest fan, Ray Manzarek of The Doors fame. Great live band though the concerts could be a bit dangerous as it seemed all the crazy motherfeckers in L.A. were X heads.

The documentary shows a lot of the singer Exene's dark artwork and unique vocal songwriting partnership with band leader John Doe. You also get a taste of the art punk inspired influences of the L.A. rock scene in the early 80s before it was erased by the Motley Crue/Poison/Buns & Hoses hair band bollocks later on. Shame these guys didn't make it bigger, but I guess the record company suits just weren't that into them. We highly recommend their first 4 albums, especially if you think 80s American rock was crap.

I know you dont include Bon Jovi as 80s American rock......

The Hunger Games - I hadn't the chance of seeing it before, so I watched it today. I liked it very much and the parts with Jennifer Lawrence and that little girl were pretty touching. Unlike many other survival movies it had a lot of drama and not only stupid action scenes. 8/10

the+ascent+3.jpg

The Ascent - Very good Soviet war film. It was made in 1977 but wouldn't have worked as well imo if it hadn't been shot in B&W. Set in a frozen Russian landscape, it's an honest, morally psychological take of war. There were two scenes involving the two main characters that were particularly intense. The director of the film Larisa Shepitko died a few years later after making this film in an accident, making this her final film. Her husband though, Elem Klimov also a filmmaker, went on the make the masterpiece that is Come and See. Whilst not being as good, harsh and brutal as Come and See, both films share similiar themes like the unrelenting potrayal on war. A few Christian allegories were thrown in it as well. Anatoly Solonitsyn did a great supporting turn as the nazi interrogator.

The Hunger Game - I hadn't the chance of seeing it before, so I watched it today. I liked it very much and the parts with Jennifer Lawrence and that little girl were pretty touching. Unlike many other survival movies it had a lot of drama and not only stupid action scenes. 8/10

What about the other Hunger games?

We tried to watch Anchorman again at the weekend but stopped after about 30 minutes because it was so unfunny. Original impression confirmed.