Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Spike Lee has at least 2 movies that are more than just decent, Malcolm X was fantastic, one of my many favorite movies. I also really liked Inside Man, much better on the 2nd viewing, which is rare for a movie.

Summer of Sam was decent, maybe not the most exciting movie but an interesting look at NYC at the time. He Got Game was also decent, and I enjoyed Clockers as well. More good films than most directors.

Malcolm X was a massive wank for him. He could have cut 90 minutes quite easily.

Shaolin-

Saw this on netflix. Directed by Benny Chan starring Andy Lau and Nicolas Tse with a guest appearence By Jackie Chan.

Finally got around to watch it, I have to say it was extremely well written and beautifully shot. Yes it is a martial arts movie but it is very character based and I liked that about this movie. Extremely moving towards the end and somehow the director within a span of 2 hours does a great job of getting you attached to the characters. Nice music too. I enjoyed this movie a lot and is not at all a bad watch.

8/10.

If you like Ip man you will definitely enjoy this.

Himizu - Sion Sono's latest offering. An angry film set in a post-Fukushima, tsunami ravaged landscape. It was based on a manga and it retains some over-top-ness and the violence made it hard to watch at times but it was violence with a meaning behind it...had it's fair share of darkly comic moments as well with many quirky side characters. Adagio for Strings and Mozart's Requiem were heavily used to haunting effects. Two absolute mental performances by the two leads by the way. It was probably a bit too long and overdrawn but still a very good film, one of the best Japanese films of the last few years that I've seen.

The Watch - More like Don't Watch. Went to see because I like Vince Vaughan and Jonah Hill but it was terrible. Childish, stupid and unfunny. 1/10

I don't think I've seen a half decent Vaughan film since the Wedding Crashers.

Avengers. I don't. Understand. The. Fuss. What a waste of a couple of hours.

I thought it was good fun. Not the masterpiece some people make it out to be, but as superhero films go, I think it is one of the better ones out there. What did you dislike about it?

True, still a bit shitty though.

I think it depends on your intentions. It was shitty of Zeppelin not to give credit to some of the people whose songs they reworked. I don't care if Shakespeare or Leone take a story from somewhere else as long as they're honest, it's how they tell it that makes them interesting. I'm sure someone could tell you the story that Kurosawa's movie is based on, and that story likely is based on yet another.

I think it depends on your intentions. It was shitty of Zeppelin not to give credit to some of the people whose songs they reworked. I don't care if Shakespeare or Leone take a story from somewhere else as long as they're honest, it's how they tell it that makes them interesting. I'm sure someone could tell you the story that Kurosawa's movie is based on, and that story likely is based on yet another.

That was Kurosawa's adaptation of King Lear, like Nolan and Batman. It's hardly the same as plagiarising someone else's vision...

I don't think I've seen a half decent Vaughan film since the Wedding Crashers.

I thought it was good fun. Not the masterpiece some people make it out to be, but as superhero films go, I think it is one of the better ones out there. What did you dislike about it?

It was chaotic without having real purpose, it had too many characters and it was too fast paced at times, it also suffered from character introduction. Perhaps they should've made a single character the focal point of the film....and had everything revolve around that person.

And people regard this as a masterpiece? It made me very sleepy half way through. Not a patch on the better superhero films.

Confessions

Japanese revenge film. A teacher believes her daughter was killed by some of her students and starts a series of events that lead to several more people being killed. It has lots of twists and turns, so I dont want to reveal more of the plot, but if you loved Old Boy, you'll love this. Highly recommended.

9/10

Spike Lee has at least 2 movies that are more than just decent, Malcolm X was fantastic, one of my many favorite movies. I also really liked Inside Man, much better on the 2nd viewing, which is rare for a movie.

Summer of Sam was decent, maybe not the most exciting movie but an interesting look at NYC at the time. He Got Game was also decent, and I enjoyed Clockers as well. More good films than most directors.

No mention of Do The Right Thing? Arguably the film he's most famed for...

I also really liked Clockers, though it's been a while since I saw it.

Confessions

Japanese revenge film. A teacher believes her daughter was killed by some of her students and starts a series of events that lead to several more people being killed. It has lots of twists and turns, so I dont want to reveal more of the plot, but if you loved Old Boy, you'll love this. Highly recommended.

9/10

My only gripe with it was the fact that the effects made it feel like a music video at times, also the Radiohead heavy soundtrack felt a bit out of place perhaps. Otherwise I enjoyed it.

That was Kurosawa's adaptation of King Lear, like Nolan and Batman. It's hardly the same as plagiarising someone else's vision...

I was talking about "Yojimbo" that he's saying "A Fistful of Dollars" is based on. What do you mean about Batman and Nolan, that it's a 'reboot' of an established story? In this case of course Nolan is paying royalties to whoever owns the right to Batman.

I saw the similarities between Ran and King Lear but I wouldn't call it a Japanese remake. And King Lear was based on history, you can't plagiarize history!

If you're not taking the actual lines from the other author then I don't see any problem with covering the same story. Hell, Hollywood has made a whole industry based on retelling the same stories over and over.

Malcolm X was a massive wank for him. He could have cut 90 minutes quite easily.

What parts would you cut? My favorite part is everything before he actually converts, so I certainly wouldn't mess with that part. You can't cut out his disenchantment with his Church or his pilgrimage. Would you ax the love interest? It humanized the character but it maybe wasn't crucial to the story. Still, Lee didn't spend all that much time there either.

I love a period piece that brings the time to life so fully, I feel completely immersed in that world when I watch that movie. And Denzel is fantastic.

What parts would you cut? My favorite part is everything before he actually converts, so I certainly wouldn't mess with that part. You can't cut out his disenchantment with his Church or his pilgrimage. Would you ax the love interest? It humanized the character but it maybe wasn't crucial to the story. Still, Lee didn't spend all that much time there either.

I love a period piece that brings the time to life so fully, I feel completely immersed in that world when I watch that movie. And Denzel is fantastic.

I thought most scenes were overlong. That one where he's strutting about in his zoot suit springs to mind.

I was talking about "Yojimbo" that he's saying "A Fistful of Dollars" is based on. What do you mean about Batman and Nolan, that it's a 'reboot' of an established story? In this case of course Nolan is paying royalties to whoever owns the right to Batman.

I saw the similarities between Ran and King Lear but I wouldn't call it a Japanese remake. And King Lear was based on history, you can't plagiarize history!

If you're not taking the actual lines from the other author then I don't see any problem with covering the same story. Hell, Hollywood has made a whole industry based on retelling the same stories over and over.

Your post is making little sense, I'm saying Kurosawa's Ran was an adaptation, his version of King Lear, whereas Leone plagiarised Yojimbo frame by frame as Nils said... and the point I made about Nolan was that his Batman was his vision of a comic book character... a character that had been adapted onto screen by many directors. There's a difference between adaptating and plagiarising, which is the point I think Nils was making.

Anyway, Hugo's a good watch, I enjoyed it even though it could've done with being a bit shorter.

The Bird People in China - Takashi Miike (1998)

A very welcome reprieve from Miike's tiresome macho over the top violent bloody perverted bollocks, although of course there's the inevitable yakuza geezer slapping someone around and brandishing a gun . . . but this film really brings out the genius in Miike, as an innocent businessman and his yakuza sidekick go way up into the mountains of bumfeck China to discover a bird cult village left over from some downed British pilot from a long ago WWII era. The movie is very funny, creative, poetic and beautifully shot, lite violence, and has a decent well meaning message to it. The first 3/4s of the movie was massive, but I think he lost a bit of control over it for the last 1/4 so it didn't end as good as it could've. Really enjoyed this and actually laughed out loud a couple times which I rarely do.

8 1/2 cocks up.

Yojimbo itself is based off western cinema films, John Fords westerns, the glass key and the novel red harvest. Kurosawa whole career was influenced by western culture. We all get our inspiration from somewhere. Kurosawa even turned a shakespeare play into a samurai film.

Confessions

9/10
Waited a long while to watch this one. Very good movie despite taking some obvious liberties with the storyline. Good you reminded this cause I have never been able to find this movie until now.
8/10

Your post is making little sense, I'm saying Kurosawa's Ran was an adaptation, his version of King Lear, whereas Leone plagiarised Yojimbo frame by frame as Nils said... and the point I made about Nolan was that his Batman was his vision of a comic book character... a character that had been adapted onto screen by many directors. There's a difference between adaptating and plagiarising, which is the point I think Nils was making.

Anyway, Hugo's a good watch, I enjoyed it even though it could've done with being a bit shorter.

Yep. You just don't do unlicensed remakes in the filmmaking industry. Kurosawa liked the film but stressed that it was "his film".

I had said

I'm sure someone could tell you the story that Kurosawa's movie is based on, and that story likely is based on yet another.

To which you responded

But I was talking about the story "Yojimbo" was based on, not "Ran". It seemed to me you misunderstood.

I haven't seen "Yojimbo" and I didn't see Nilsson's post about it being nearly a shot-for-shot, frame-for-frame copy, that's different than just telling the same story, I was arguing the validity of telling the same story but in different words.

Overall my point is that there is almost nothing new under the sun as far as literature, Leone might have copied "Yojimbo" but that story has it's root, so who is Leone really copying? And the story at the root of "Yojimbo" is probably a variation of an older story, so who gets the credit?

If Leone was being honest that he was re-making "Yojimbo" into a western I don't mind. If he was being dishonest and pretending he didn't copy "Yojimbo" to avoid paying some sort of royalty then that's scummy. Whether there should be a royalty is another question that I think is hard to answer.

As far as Batman, I'm suggesting that if you're either being hired by the people who own Batman or you're paying for the right to use their characters and material then there's not really any question of plagiarism.

My point about Ran is that King Lear it's based on historical events, isn't anyone free to tell a story based on those events? It seemed to me the dialogue wasn't just a copy, so I didn't consider he was plagiarizing, but I could be wrong there. Again, all stories are adaptions of another story, and great stories are often retold, especially in different cultures. And isn't anything as old as Shakespeare under some sort of free use distinction anyway, and generally we welcome an author adapting that story to a modern setting?

Le Mans

I think you really need to be a fan of motor racing and if you've attended the race even better. The best bit is the build-up to the start but there is no real story and the script is minimal. It's just McQueen being cool and lots of footage of the race experience with some vague sub-plot about a dead driver's wife and everybody trying to nail her between laps. An excellent document of the race but not very entertaining for non-racing fans.

The Expendables 2: Bigger and better than the original with the kind of cheesy 80's action movie lines that actually work. Initially a bit boring once the opening action scene is out of the way but picks up in the last two thirds. Also seems strange to say but(Hemsworth aside) Van Damme gives the best acting performance on display by quite a distance and as for Chuck Norris role well......I'm lost for words. More than decent stab at the 80's action movie format.

6/10