Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Here's a more contemporary one, that is albeit a bit all over the place... like most movie lists.

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/21stcentury_films1-50.htm

Lists.

I understand how most of them could sort of make that list but The Social Network and Tree of Life? Seriously? I wanted to carve my eyes out after watching those turds of movies. I don't even understand how Tree of Life can be classified as a movie. Maybe it's just me though.

I understand how most of them could sort of make that list but The Social Network and Tree of Life? Seriously? I wanted to carve my eyes out after watching those turds of movies. I don't even understand how Tree of Life can be classified as a movie. Maybe it's just me though.

The Social Network isn't all that, yeah. Tree of Life is an art film. It was an audacious experiment that didn't really work in the end but was an incredibly beautiful experiment that, to to be fair, demands multiple viewings. If it really affects you then it's incredibly rewarding.

Ted

A decent (and totally absurd) comedy overall. It throws a lot of stuff at the wall and I'd say more stuff sticks then misses. If it trimmed off about 10/15 minutes of fat, you'd be left with a much tighter film I think. Still, it's certainly one of the better comedies I've seen at the cinema this year.

As a side note, Mark Wahlberg should stick to comedic roles.

Just watched The Dictator, and it's better than what I've anticipated. It has some boring, unfunny sequences (a birth and a fight with a huge breasted woman eg) and it is never that funny, but this is Cohen's best movie, I think. A bit more time developing the script and a better editor (its 100 mins long, it should have been 75-80 at most) could have made it a cult classic, the third act is class.

5.5-6/10.

I remember when I've first seen it in the early nineties as a 17-18 year old me and my mates went back to see it at least 4 times in one months. Usually we would come out and start talking straight away over a beer. After Naked we were completely silent but ordered shots.

Mr Nobody

Total mind bender of a film. I have no idea what was going on in the film half of the time. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it though.:lol:

Here's a more contemporary one, that is albeit a bit all over the place... like most movie lists.

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/21stcentury_films1-50.htm

Lists.

Jesus feck, this is worse than the top ten boring fuddy duddy 70s haircut wank of Wells, La Règle du Jeu, and Vertigo. Can you imagine being so haughty, artless and misguided as to put Mulholland Dr., History of Violence (jesus feckin' wept), Cwouching Tigger, Lost in Twanslation, There Will Be Bill the "oilman" Butcher in a top ten of anything other than the top 3 embarrassments of these able directors. Am I insane or what? Jeezus shite!

Jesus feck, this is worse than the top ten boring fuddy duddy 70s haircut wank of Wells, La Règle du Jeu, and Vertigo. Can you imagine being so haughty, artless and misguided as to put Mulholland Dr., History of Violence (jesus feckin' wept), Cwouching Tigger, Lost in Twanslation, There Will Be Bill the "oilman" Butcher in a top ten of anything other than the top 3 embarrassments of these able directors. Am I insane or what? Jeezus shite!

At least they admitted that people might despise much of it. Mulholland Drive is a certain inclusion though!

Sita Sings the Blues - A lovely animated gem that tells the story of the epic Ramayana whilst changing animation styles and narratives, sometimes to comment on the story. The musical numbers (mostly consisting of 1920's jazz singing) and the psychedelic scenes were the best. Didn't care much for the biographical parallel though.

21 Jump Street 7.5/10 (in Mockney's honor)

Surprisingly good. Hilarious in parts.

Top ten movie wankers who make top ten lists:

1. People who don't really understand the whole "director" "producer" "screenplay writer" "auteur" "etc" schtick.

2. Mouth breathers with shouldn't-have egos who haven't seen shit.

3. Those who place too much impressionable mind to the traditional top ten lists of Wells, Hitchcock & stuffy academia.

4. Over enthusiastic earnest young universitarios.

5. Radical leftists.

6. The middle of the road Ebert crowd.

7. Honest to god poets.

8. Opinionated cnuts who think they're fecking poets and seers and genre-heads and know-it-alls and should shut the feck up.

9. The Fight Club/Shawshank crew.

10. fecking geeks.

Top ten movie wankers who make top ten lists:

1. People who don't really understand the whole "director" "producer" "screenplay writer" "auteur" "etc" schtick.

2. Mouth breathers with shouldn't-have egos who haven't seen shit.

3. Those who place too much impressionable mind to the traditional top ten lists of Wells, Hitchcock & stuffy academia.

4. Over enthusiastic earnest young universitarios.

5. Radical leftists.

6. The middle of the road Ebert crowd.

7. Honest to god poets.

8. Opinionated cnuts who think they're fecking poets and seers and genre-heads and know-it-alls and should shut the feck up.

9. The Fight Club/Shawshank crew.

10. fecking geeks.

What is left?

It's nice to see some changes to the old boring godfather/shawshank top 3

I didn't read into it too much, but somehow out of 10 , you find 1 gems that's often left out among the mainstream Top 10.

It's only that, top 10, and it varies among viewers. I just use it as a reference, some synopsis or the poster might attract me to find it and view it.

Watched that with the missus the other day. So much better than I thought it would be. The part where they took the drugs in front of the p.e. teacher had me in stitches.

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas-Very off the beat film with no real story line but I really enjoyed it, I feel this is Depp's best performance so far and one really appreciates just how great an actor this man is.

I was really surprised with that. Especially with Tatum, who I'd dismissed as a plastic faced prat from teeny dancing movies. He's probably the funniest person in it.

I couldn't stop laughing for a good few minutes after the scene where Tatum punched the black gay kid... It's probably not hailed as the funniest scene in the film or anything, but it had me in stitches.

Watched Wild Bill the other day. It was generally very good. The two kids and Liz White in particular were great. That is, however, apart from the bizarre casting decision of getting the shy Welsh guy from Misfits to play a lairy wigger crack dealer with bits of carpet fluff stuck to his face. Which, unfortunately, was up there with the Geordie guy in Green Street in the off puttingly ridiculous characters in a cockney gangster movie stakes.

Vertigo: I usually don't watch movies this old but after reading quite a lot on various boards I gave it a go. Absolutely great movie. I've only seen Hitchcock's 2 movies Psycho and this. Will now watch rear window next.

I couldn't stop laughing for a good few minutes after the scene where Tatum punched the black gay kid... It's probably not hailed as the funniest scene in the film or anything, but it had me in stitches.

I agree, for me the funniest bit in that film, it cracked me up aswell.

Battleship

Strangely, I enjoyed it, special effects were top notch and story is what you can expect for a movie like this, non existant.

Would have been a bit better if they left the patriotic bullshit at the end out aswell. Better than I expected though, 6/10