Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Chronicle

Knew very little about this beforehand but ended up enjoying it. A sort of found footage rehash of Unbreakable, set in high school. Which makes it sound awful but it's actually ok. Some decent effects, a likeable cast and the final showdown is a doozy.

6.5/10

The cast do make it very likeable, but I couldn't quite work out why Edin Dzeko goes on a honorary pilgrimige for his mate...who was basically a complete dick. I'd just have gone off with the girl.

But yeah, I agree with your rating and synopsis.

Yeah, the epilogue was strange and a bit pointless.

Also, did you notice that he was carrying a load of crampons, rope and a climbing axe? The feck!?

What I really liked about the movie was the way it focussed in on how having superpowers would be bloody good fun. Their first flight was very well done. Helped that I was somewhat binned at the time.

I saw Hugo last night, it wasn't really what I was expecting... in a good way I guess. I was slightly disinterested in the silly little kids adventure until into it turned into what I guess I would, in a really poncey way, describe as a 'Celebration of cinema' movie. Which was actually kinda nice, and I guess I enjoyed it more since I've seen a few of the movies it referenced (including A Trip to the Moon), so all those references and nods weren't lost on me. It was kinda touching to see a movie essentially made for one of the forgotten directors who played a big part in the birth of cinema. And as usual with Scorsese everything looked fecking great.

I would give it a 7/10, since I'm not overly poncey and film-buff like to go crazy over it for it's material alone. It didn't engage me that much, but it was good.

Oh yeah, and I saw Sling Blade, which was really, really, good. Billy Bob Thornton showed some acting chops I was completely unaware he had, (having admittedly not seen many of his films). 8.5/10, cause any film with someone playing a mentally disabled person that convincingly deserves a high rating.

Chronicle

Knew very little about this beforehand but ended up enjoying it. A sort of found footage rehash of Unbreakable, set in high school. Which makes it sound awful but it's actually ok. Some decent effects, a likeable cast and the final showdown is a doozy.

6.5/10

I was also wowed when I saw that the black guy was Wallace from The Wire.

I was also wowed when I saw that the black guy was Wallace from The Wire.

I realized it right after. It helped to know that Wallace really didn't die. He moved into the burbs and got superpowers. Before getting killed by his friends...wait a second.

Four Lions It was very entertaining, bro. The characters are highly amusing, but the ending was quite sad. 7/10

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter There was potential for this to be a good film. Mary Elizabeth Winstead :drool: was nice. If it had been made slightly more seriously(yes, seriously) it would have been awesome. Instead, there was a fight scene on the backs of stampeding horses, a vampire throwing a horse at Lincoln, a ridiculous train-top battle, and some silly historical cameos. I haven't read the book, but there was a great deal of focus on action and special effects when it would have been better for fewer epic fight scenes and more Lincoln. In the end, it was entertaining but bad. 3/10

Four Lions It was very entertaining, bro. The characters are highly amusing, but the ending was quite sad. 7/10

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter There was potential for this to be a good film. Mary Elizabeth Winstead :drool: was nice. If it had been made slightly more seriously(yes, seriously) it would have been awesome. Instead, there was a fight scene on the backs of stampeding horses, a vampire throwing a horse at Lincoln, a ridiculous train-top battle, and some silly historical cameos. I haven't read the book, but there was a great deal of focus on action and special effects when it would have been better for fewer epic fight scenes and more Lincoln. In the end, it was entertaining but bad. 3/10

You lost me at the bolded/underlined sentence.

Four Lions was a very funny film that I enjoyed. As you say though, the ending certainly was sad.

That Abe Lincoln vampire shite looks preposterously serious from all the trailers and such, I'm not sure how much more serious they could have made such a stupid concept.

Shame : Really great movie, fassbender was great. I specially like the background music. 8/10

Le Quattro Volte was great, dont worry.

Glad you liked it.

Rocco and his Brothers - Epic family melodrama. About a peasant family that moves from the south of Italy to Milano to start a better life but as time goes on comes to a dissolution. The saintly Rocco tries to look out for his hopeless brother but a prostitute comes between them (brilliant performance by Annie Girardot). It was pretty decent and you could also see signs of Coppola and Scorsese all over it.

DzaFw.png

Le Trou - French prison film. It reminded me a bit of one of my absolute favourite prison films, A Man Escaped. Very economical, quiet (no soundtrack), tense and with an aura of authenticity (Both films were based on a true story, one of the actors in this film was actually involved in the actual real life escape). Whilst I didn't enjoy this one as much as the aforementioned film, it was a really good film with a memorable climax.

The Cranes are Flying - Tragic war romance, set in Russia during WWII. Great film, a touching story with fan-fecking-tastic cinematography.

American Pie The Reunion A few funny bits with lots of shit acting and far too many slow bits. Same old, same old, only less so. 3/10

I've never seen any American Pie movies. Is this a good thing?

There are a few cheap laughs in each one but not much else. Watch the first one and see if you like it. There is a distinct reduced return in investment after that.

All That Jazz - Had no idea it had won the Palme D'Or in 1980, but can see why. Brilliant film. Very creative narrative and Roy Scheider gave a master acting class. Although when he had to do the actual song-and-dance schticks of Bob Fosse, you could see he was lacking.

I don't think you even have to be a fan of Bob Fosse and the American song and dance camp productions to get into this. You got Fosse's campy jazz handsy Cabaret choreography mixed with some really great, sexual and psychodelic haze, a nice blend that's not too full of itself. Liked the "family" part of it as well. Cool to watch Fosse directing a professionally choreographed whacky autobiography through Roy Scheider.

9 cocks up.

*Young John Lithgow sighting looking like a creepy, micro-faced cross between Platini and Gerard Depardu.

Samurai Rebellion - Like Kobayashi's earlier film, Harakiri, very heavy with the ethics and morality of that era, most of the film consists of formal meetings between a family felt hard done by and the representatives of the Emperor. It is then topped off with a bloody climax with some Toshiro Mifune badassery, the black and white cinematography painted a very gloomy and grim landscape. I think I might slightly prefer Harakiri over this one but I thought this was a way more accesible film.

F For Fake - A dazzling visual feast of editing skills about art forgery, felt very typical Welles, him being an accomplished magician and a constant teller of anecdotes of questionable validity. He really played with this format and I liked when he suddenly stopped and questioned authorship in the grand scheme of things since everything's going to turn into ash eventually and we're all going to die.

He really played with this format and I liked when he suddenly stopped and questioned authorship in the grand scheme of things since everything's going to turn into ash eventually and we're all going to die.

Which is one of several reasons why, in his last years, Welles preferred to imagine & talk of masterpieces rather than actually create them - his stories, and his self-created legend lives on after him. Another reason is that these imagined masterpieces were perfect, and incapable of wreckless editing/alteration by studio 'hacks'.

Which is one of several reasons why, in his last years, Welles preferred to imagine & talk of masterpieces rather than actually create them - his stories, and his self-created legend lives on after him. Another reason is that these imagined masterpieces were perfect, and incapable of wreckless editing/alteration by studio 'hacks'.

He must have felt pretty miserable and regretful at the end of his life not having achieved more with talent he possessed, having had to scrape together money for overly ambitious projects for decades. F for Fake was a great and fitting final film though.

Salmon fishing in the Yemen A surprisingly charming and amusing British Rom-Com with excellent central casting with Ewan McGregor, Emily Blunt and Kristin Scott Thomas. This film won't change your world but it is a reasonably pleasant way to pass a couple of hours. 7/10

Le Quattro Volte - Set in a serene rural mountain village in Calabria, Italy. It consists of four cycles of transmigration along the lines of Pythagoras, starting off with an old, dying goatherder, then goes on to another realm. It contains no dialogue except for some mutterings and it sort of puts the humans in the background and focuses more on the animals (Goats galore! Never thought watching the exploits of a young goat could be that absorbing, there was also a dog that did stuff I have no idea how they got it to do in such a long take), the trees, coal...

All this is more interesting than it sounds like and the film is a testament of how you can make a profound film from scratch. Recommended!

I really, really enjoyed that scene as well, watching from afar as the dog pretty much gave guff to everyone, especially hassling the three youths dressed as Roman soldiers. Didn't end well for the pooch though, as it ended up pretty pissed off as to having to deal with all the escaped goats.

They still make charcoal that same way here in Colombia, albeit with smaller piles of wood. It's a fascinating process.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil:

This was on TV the other day and I hadn't seen it since I was a kid.I still found it very enjoyable if not a tad ludicrous in places.. The Towel scene was a bit rapey though. It's up there with James Bond/Rocky! Wilder and Pryor were in some of my favourite childhood movies and this has made me want to dig out a copy of Stir Crazy.

Vivre sa vie - About a woman who wants to become a movie star but ends up as a prostitute. Definitely one of the greatest films of the French New Wave, highly original and very unrelenting. Godard wins another round in the contest of which one of the two heavy weights of that era that I prefer the most.

The Royal Tenenbaums - I was a bit worried initially that I would find it too gimmicky, but ended up really enjoying it. Owen Wilson was predictably the worst thing about it though.

Port of Shadows - Was suprised at how much I enjoyed this. Predictable story but felt very ahead it's time in some aspects, a sort of forerunner to Casablanca.

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown - I'm not usually a fan of farcial/screwball comedies like this but loved this one. Almodovar is quickly becoming one of my favourite filmmakers.

So Nilsson, how long until you've seen every film ever?

Do you have an IMDB account? If so log in and go to this link

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?my...otes=5000,&title_type=feature&user_rating=7.5,

How many films appear for you?

If I keep up this pace I will probably have seen the majority of all critically acclaimed films, like ever, by the time I hit 30.

I have an IMDB account but never really use it, mostly just to downvote films on their top list.

I'm a member on http://www.icheckmovies.com/ though which is a really useful site. A good way of keeping track of all the films you've seen, easy to find new films to watch and gives me some motivation to watch loads of them. I think I'm in the top 1900 or something!

Le Quattro Volte was the least entertaining film I've seen since Better Things. It is the cinematic equivalent of going to your local farm and sitting on a wall for 90 minutes in silence. fecking hell. I cant believe I sat through it all. Well, I farted all the way through, and that was far more entertaining than this pretentious shite.

0.5/100

And that 0.5 was for the dog's performance.

Le Quattro Volte was the least entertaining film I've seen since Better Things. It is the cinematic equivalent of going to your local farm and sitting on a wall for 90 minutes in silence. fecking hell. I cant believe I sat through it all. Well, I farted all the way through, and that was far more entertaining than this pretentious shite.

0.5/100

And that 0.5 was for the dog's performance.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

In what way was it pretentious?