Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Moneyball 6/10

Not a bad film, but has some issues. Its the first Sorkin script that I dont really like, it has some great moments (there's a great scene about last day trading), and it might work for someone who cares for and understands baseball, but for a European, it just doesnt offer much. The directing is A-class however.

Brad Pitt was excellent too.

Sherlock Holmes 2:
A bit like the first one but flashier. Moriarty steps into the limelight and provides Holmes with a genuinely meaty challenge. As far as blockbuster movies go, this ticks the boxes with fights, explosions etc and there are a few funny moments thrown into the mix.
There were a few niggles for me, the Bourne style action scenes where you can't actually see what's happening and super slow-mo sequences that tend to grate after the first couple.
Overall it was an enjoyable romp and if you enjoyed the first one, I'm pretty sure you'll like this.

Large Spoiler enclosed!
The scene where Holmes dies on the train was a bit odd. Perhaps I'm being stupid, but the only thing I could conclude he died from was blood loss from his wound, yet he was brought back to life with an adrenaline shot and was then fine. Does adrenaline replace lost blood? Somebody must tell the Blood Doners, they're wasting their time!
I thought the scene was both unnecessary and stupid!

Casablanca 9/10

I agree with you all, a wonderful film. I woke my husband up and upset the Whipps by sniffling at the end of it though. Both Bogart and Bergman were mesmerising, but I also thought Claud Rains was marvellous too.

and i amend my earlier Knight's tale to 7/10, Cinc

Anyone else seen that Lost Christmas on iplayer? Pretty good for a made-for-TV, Christmasy film.

Was it the same producer then? I thought I read someone from that crew either co-produced or co-directed it or something like that.

Hugo

Hugo is a 2011 3D adventure drama film based on Brian Selznick's novel The Invention of Hugo Cabret about a boy who lives alone in a Paris railway station and the enigmatic owner of a toy shop there. It is directed by Martin Scorsese and written by John Logan. It is a co-production of Graham King's GK Films and Johnny Depp's Infinitum Nihil. The film stars Asa Butterfield, Chloë Grace Moretz, Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen, Ray Winstone, Emily Mortimer, and Jude Law.

Saw this last night without really knowing anything about it beforehand.

Visually is was pretty damn good, you can't not see it in 3D. Sacha Baron Cohen's performance really made the movie.

My only criticism of the movie is it feels a bit long, maybe by ten mins. I wasn't really sure where it was going towards the end. I was expecting something with a bit of 'Wow!' but it seemed to fall short.

Nice to see Ms. Jones, Uncle Monty and Gal and Don Logan renunited.

Looks like Hugo is going to do well in the awards from what I've read. I'd give it 8/10.

Contagion (2011) - 5

Was really underwhelmed. The characters were shockingly emotionally un-engaging for a movie that involves millions of people dying, a number of whom are introduced early on and have a decent role in the film and were loved ones of the key characters. The acting was fine but nothing standout. The score for me was a bit overbearing. The plot was just a bit dull...I didn't remotely care that millions of people were dying because that's the attitude passed on from the main characters, and aside from that there was just a lot of talk about how they were going to come up with a cure and then some blogging gimp who was making money from supporting a fake cure. Fascinating. It was different to the standard virus movie in that it didn't look at it from a horror point of view, which was refreshing, but as a drama it lacked the standout acting to carry a dull script and it just didn't pass as a thriller at all for me.

Wouldn't recommend it.

Yeah...I've decided that Soderbergh is a rubbish film maker. He can take an exciting story and bore the tits off of you with it. His Che films were fecking pants.

Yeah, not a fan at all. Plan on watching his Solaris remake at some point and fully expect it to make a mockery of the original...can't say I've enjoyed any of his movies. He was an executive producer in that movie "We Need to Talk About Kevin" out recently, it's meant to be good. Means he might not ruin absolutely everything he's involved in. Plan on watching it and Source Code tomorrow and getting through a few of this year's movie before the year's end, I've ignored pretty much all of them up until this point.

Primal Fear (1996) - 7

Watched this last night, thought it was really enjoyable. Not one of the big-name movies from it's time but thoroughly watchable. Richard Gere and Laura Linney both very good and Edward Norton excellent, they're what make the movie worth watching. Standard courtroom drama in terms of the plot with a good twist at the end and enough mystery to it to keep you engaged throughout.

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) - 7

Brutally bleak, and that's the only reason I'd give it a 7 - I just didn't care for it. Really well made and acted - Lynne Ramsey, Tilda Swinton and Ezra Miller all deserve plenty of praise - but it was genuinely a difficult watch. The movie revolves around resentment, self-loathing, grief and guilt all bundled up into a big ball of depression following a high school mass murder. It's made with a (conventional) non-linear narrative using flashbacks very effectively, with the mother living in her memories of her son's childhood as a way of escaping from the depression that now engulfs her. In doing so it portrays that childhood from the very personal perspective of the mother - very effectively showing the guilt that she feels but at the same time the helplessness on the other side of things, and it's an interesting insight into the nature-nurture debate (the book presumably does this very well).

Would certainly recommend it though, all things considered.

Primal Fear (1996) - 7

Watched this last night, thought it was really enjoyable. Not one of the big-name movies from it's time but thoroughly watchable. Richard Gere and Laura Linney both very good and Edward Norton excellent, they're what make the movie worth watching. Standard courtroom drama in terms of the plot with a good twist at the end and enough mystery to it to keep you engaged throughout.

I enjoyed this film too - and surprisingly not just for the beautiful Mr Gere

I reckon I saw Primal Fear 15 years ago...from what I can remember I thought it was a bit cack...and relied heavily on a gimmick.

Knowing
There was a reason I had been putting off seeing this - and it wasn't N Cage's strange hairstyle and immobile forehead . What a waste of two hours !

Nicholas Cage strikes again!
There's a 98% chance that any movie starring Cage will be rubbish. You should have sat down to watch it knowing this would be the case :smirk:

Thats not true, pre 2003 he was in a few good ones (the best one by far being Wild at Heart obviously), not once since though.

Kick-Ass? Lord of War? (which has one of the finest opening credit sequence you'll ever see) Matchstick Men? Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans? (which he's brilliant in).

I also quite enjoyed The Weather Man and The Sorcerer's Apprentice for what they were...

Even on the subject of Cage alone....Snake Eyes has a better opening sequence than Lord of War, so it's not really one of the best. But yeah, guy gets too much stick because he has to take a ton of films because he's batshit insane nowadays and needs the money.

Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation, Con Air and Face/Off are both great action films, Raising Arizona, Birdy, his earlier romantic films aren't too bad either, nothing to go crazy about, but not bad bad.

I should have quantified it with "in my opinion" then... (it's probably my 2nd favourite opening credit sequence behind Watchmen...) but I agree with what you're saying, it's easy to give Cage a bad rep because of the bad films he's done, but he has done numerous excellent ones throughout his career (they're just more sparse these days...)

Kick-Ass? Lord of War? (which has one of the finest opening credit sequence you'll ever see) Matchstick Men? Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans? (which he's brilliant in).

I also quite enjoyed The Weather Man and The Sorcerer's Apprentice for what they were...

I've said 2003 just because I liked Matchstick Men. Kick Ass was horrid.

I thought Knowing was OK , story was decent enough.
I quite like Cage , mind you The Wicker Man remake is one of the worst films ever.

Knowing was as rubbish as The Wicker Man. What were they thinking. The original was garbage and adding Nicholas "I can't act" Cage was never going to improve things.

Not seen Bad Lieutenant but he has been utter rubbish in all the other ones you mention. How he didn't totally ruin Matchstick Men is a mystery. He really is a rubbish actor. Horrible

Knowing was as rubbish as The Wicker Man. What were they thinking. The original was garbage and adding Nicholas "I can't act" Cage was never going to improve things.

Not seen Bad Lieutenant but he has been utter rubbish in all the other ones you mention. How he didn't totally ruin Matchstick Men is a mystery. He really is a rubbish actor. Horrible

I didn't like Bad Lieutenant. It got good reviews, but I thought it was average. Was nice to see Cage walking around all stooped over though.

Well in Matchstick Men, the character he played was central to the plotline making sense... if you believed in Cages performance and the character, the plot is more effective, and that surely then impacts your enjoyment of the film overall. That's the way I see it at least...

He played Lord of War and The Weather Man fairly straight, so nothing to get overly offended by there (unless you just don't like the man of course...) and he was over the top, in Kick-Ass, but ultimately it was a comic book film about a vigilante, so I wouldn't say his performance was a bad thing. Another way of looking at it is that Mark Strong also played his character way over the top in that movie too.

As for Bad Lieutenant, well I thought he was excellent in it... but it is completely bat-shit mental/over the top, and I would suggest that if you don't like Cage, you won't like his performance or the film.

Not sure why I'm putting up the defence for him... I'm not really his biggest fan or anything, just think he gets a bad rep a lot of the time. As I said, his work/film choices more recently have been mainly dire, but not exclusively so... but some of his earlier work was fantastic... and Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas and Adaptation would suggest he is not a "rubbish actor" at all when he actually trys/put's his head to it... as opposed to just going straight into overdrive at the first chance.

I really like Face/Off, an enjoyable, leave-your-brain-at-home romp. However, it says it all that Travolta is more convincing as Castor Troy than Cage...who was supposed to actually be Castor Troy. :lol:

I really like Face/Off, an enjoyable, leave-your-brain-at-home romp. However, it says it all that Travolta is more convincing as Castor Troy than Cage...who was supposed to actually be Castor Troy. :lol:

I enjoyed that movie, I also like ConAir in a so-bad-it's-good way. The line "Put the bunny back in the box" will live with me forever.

I have no sound on my work pc, and I can't remember if there's any swearing so play this at work at your own risk.

Final Destination 5

OMG Why did they make this rubbish , how many times can you make the same film.
It was just a rehash of all the rest of them , some kid has a dream that the plane /bus he is on is going to crash and everybody dies , he wakes up gets a few of his mates off and then death kills them off one by one , not original even the deaths were not that good.
You knew what was going to happen from the start to end.
The best part of the films was the AC/DC track at the end with a montage of all the deaths from the 5 films.

PLEASE IF THERE IS A GOD NO MORE.

5/10 and 2 of them are for AC/DC at the end

I liked the story behind Knowing , I am a sucker for sci-fi.
admittedly Cage was not that good in it.

The Wicker Man is a classic , OK acting was a bit suspect.
The remake was dreadful and every copy should be deleted.