Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The girl is the little sister of that really precocious spooky little Dakota girl that was in loads of films about 5 years ago, but's probably about 15 now and a heroin addled whore. They're obviously building some kind of hideous diva dynasty.

I've only seen 'Sideways' - it was watchable but that's about it.

Agreed. About Schmit was far worse. Depressing characterstudy about someone you didn't give a shit about plus horrible overacting yet again from guess who.

Yeah I didn't like either, but was assuming it was a middle aged man thing. He makes midlife crisis films.

Brazil is a cracking film isn't it? Retro futurism 40's/Metropolis style crossed with 1984...and all the surrealism/ madness associated with Gillam thrown in for good measure.

I tried watching it once but wasn't really in the mood and didn't get into it. I seem to remember Robert De Niro playing Super Mario for some reason. I should really give it another go.

The girl is the little sister of that really precocious spooky little Dakota girl that was in loads of films about 5 years ago, but's probably about 15 now and a heroin addled whore. They're obviously building some kind of hideous diva dynasty.

Yeah I didn't like either, but was assuming it was a middle aged man thing. He makes midlife crisis films.

I'm close to that demographic and it didn't work for me.

Deathproof 7.5/10

Watched it for only the 2nd time, it's a Tarantino film so you've got your humorous dialogue, your foot fetish, your blood and guts, your racial cursing and your cheesy music.
Kurt Russell (in his first decent film in years) is a stunt man (who was picked on by the hot chicks at high school) so goes around killing hot chicks using his 'Deathproof stunt car'.

It's not Tarantino's best work but his best work borders on perfection. It's still a really enjoyable film though.

Do you masturbate at whilst coming up with this shit? What the hell man?

Why having a go at Dakota Fanning? She's 17. Probably in school.

It's a well known stereotype of child actors & actresses to go off the rails in their teens. I wasn't actually proposing she was a herion addled whore. Though if she was, I'd definitely bang it...17 you say?

It's a well known stereotype of child actors & actresses to go off the rails in their teens. I wasn't actually proposing she was a herion addled whore. Though if she was, I'd definitely bang it...17 you say?

Yea perhaps but have you ever seen her on the cover or backsides of newspapers or seen a status from some gossip girl on your facebook?

Seen her on Conan a number of times. Either she's got her head screwed on right or she's a fecking great actress.

Yea 17. That's what IDMB says.

On a completely different note. How good was De Niro at being a crazy bad guy? Just finished watching Mean Streets and he's brilliant in it. He's got a type alright.
This sounds like I just discovered films

Yea perhaps but have you ever seen her on the cover or backsides of newspapers or seen a status from some gossip girl on your facebook?

Why are you so incredibly protective of Dakota Fanning? It was a flippant quip in a movie thread, let it go man, let it go.

On a completely different note. How good was De Niro at being a crazy bad guy? Just finished watching Mean Streets and he's brilliant in it. He's got a type alright.

Watch Angel Heart, if you haven't already.

2010–present

In 2010, she starred in the movie The Runaways, alongside Kristen Stewart, Stella Maeve, and Scout Taylor-Compton, where she played Cherie Currie, the lead singer of the band. In late 2010/early 2011, Fanning filmed Breaking Dawn, reprising the role of Jane.[31]

Dakota was originally set to star as Mia, the lead role in the film adaption of If I Stay based on the novel, but later withdrew from the project. In December 2010, it was announced that Fanning would not be filming any lead roles until after she finishes high school in 2011.[32]

Fanning's voice was heard in Rise, a documentary film commissioned by U. S. Figure Skating to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the crash of Sabena Flight 548 which resulted in the loss of the entire American team and subsequent cancellation of the 1961 World Figure Skating Championships. She read a poem read by national champion Laurence Owen (who died in the crash) that was said to be an eerie premonition of the afterlife.

Dakota Fanning will play Princess Margaret in the upcoming film Girls' Night Out.[33] She will play Annie James in "The Motel Life" in February. She has also signed onto "Mississippi Wild", which will begin production in Atlanta on March 21, 2011 and will be released into theaters in 2012. She will play Tessa in Now Is Good.

Yeah but how dirty do you reckon she is? I reckon she's seen some nasty things around Hollywood by now, and when you're used to it, it's only natural for you to become blase about it and end up only being satisfied by new, eclectic and increasingly daring and dangerous experiences. I reckon she fecking filthy if I'm honest.

A Bittersweet Life - 6/10

2005 South Korean revenge/noir starring the guy who played the white ninja in GI Joe. Watched after someone claimed the Clooney vehicle Michael Clayton was a ripoff of this film, merely changing the main character from organized crime "fixer" who begins to question his place in things to organized-crime-I-mean-legal-firm "fixer" who begins to question his place in things. Holy smoke. It looks like they even pilfered the final "I'm not the guy you kill-" monologue wholesale.

Yeah probably. And Mockney, you ought to give it another try.

Oh Cinc, films that are similar Brazil? I love dystopian settings and Kafka-like themes.

I dont know if similar, but a few great distopias:

- Fahrenheit 451
- THX 1138
- Alphaville
- The Handmaid’s Tale

Also, its not a distopia per se, but a Hungarian film from 1969, a Tanu (The Witness) which is more of a satire on the hopeless nature of the communism, you might like it. (It is available in free videostores). It is closer to Catch 22 to be honest, but still an interesting movie.

- Fahrenheit 451
- THX 1138
- Alphaville
- The Handmaid’s Tale

Also, its not a distopia per se, but a Hungarian film from 1969, a Tanu (The Witness) which is more of a satire on the hopeless nature of the communism, you might like it. (It is available in free videostores). It is closer to Catch 22 to be honest, but still an interesting movie.

Great recommendations those. I haven't seen Handmaid's Tale and Alphaville is well weird (but enjoyable). Nothing comes close to Brazil though i reckon. Gilliam's finest.

- Fahrenheit 451
- THX 1138
- Alphaville
- The Handmaid’s Tale

First 2 are excellent , but not seen the second 2 , worth watching ?

- Fahrenheit 451
- THX 1138
- Alphaville
- The Handmaid’s Tale

Fahrenheit is brilliant, but I wasn't keen on Alphaville, though....and I've yet to see the other two.

Great recommendations those. I haven't seen Handmaid's Tale and Alphaville is well weird (but enjoyable). Nothing comes close to Brazil though i reckon. Gilliam's finest.

It is, by far.

I also really like THX 1138, George Lucas always had great ideas and an even greater eye for visuals. Its a shame that he never had a decent dialogue writer or editor.

Thinking about Kafka, its a shame there are no great versions of the Trial or Metamorphosis on film.

It is, by far.

I also really like THX 1138, George Lucas always had great ideas and an even greater eye for visuals. Its a shame that he never had a decent dialogue writer or editor.

Thinking about Kafka, its a shame there are no great versions of the Trial or Metamorphosis on film.

Welles' screen adaptation of The Trial was a decent watch save the last 30 mins.

Batman Year one 8/10
Another great animated film from DC. It is a faithful retelling of Millars run on batman. For all of you who thought Nolans version of Batman was original, see one of the tales that he used for Begins and some of the Dark Knight. (Also folow the Selina Kyle story to see how it's going to play out in the Dark Knight rises)

Network & Casablanca - Both dialogue driven, both elevated to levels of excellence because of multiple great performances, Bogart obviously the standout, and both 8s for me. Casablanca's not far off a 9. I thought I'd hate it but loved it from the off, then hated Network after the first 5 minutes or so and it's probably the only movie I've had a complete turnaround on thereafter.

Duck Soup - Amazing that something so simple, basic, repetitive and (granted, 75 years on) unoriginal can still be so funny. Just goes to show there's no substitute for wit, delivery and charm. 9

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - So as to not get people all hot and bothered about me trying to re-educate the movie-going public, and because I'm not really sure why I wasn't all that fussed on it...I'll just say I feel like I'm missing something. I'm probably missing a lot. I'd likely happily watch it again but I'm not in any rush to. I did buy the book today though. 7/10

And given how hard it is to find one comedy that retains its value just a couple of decades earlier, never mind countless movies countless decades earlier from the same people...genius is the only word.

Watched A Clockwork Orange too, wasn't really sure what to think of it. Typical Kubrick in many ways; intelligent topic, darkly funny portrayal of it, looked great...but mixed in amongst all of that I just felt deeply offended, for no apparent reason other than to ram the message home, without adding any kind of depth to the message and if anything making it seem more and more like there wasn't any real message other than giving a strange kind of insight into a twisted psychopath in a twisted, crime-filled society with a twisted, backwards, inhumane concept of rehabilitation and justice and morality and all that jazz...without giving an insight into why. Malcolm McDowell was great though.

What is it you lot liked about it, because I've seen quite a few of you have in and around your top 10s?

And given how hard it is to find one comedy that retains its value just a couple of decades earlier, never mind countless movies countless decades earlier from the same people...genius is the only word.

Watched A Clockwork Orange too, wasn't really sure what to think of it. Typical Kubrick in many ways; intelligent topic, darkly funny portrayal of it, looked great...but mixed in amongst all of that I just felt deeply offended, for no apparent reason other than to ram the message home, without adding any kind of depth to the message and if anything making it seem more and more like there wasn't any real message other than giving a strange kind of insight into a twisted psychopath in a twisted, crime-filled society with a twisted, backwards, inhumane concept of rehabilitation and justice and morality and all that jazz...without giving an insight into why. Malcolm McDowell was great though.

What is it you lot liked about it, because I've seen quite a few of you have in and around your top 10s?

I'm with you, I think it's a bit over rated, I think too many people see it as "cool" to be a fan of a Clockwork Orange.
Look at all the t-shirts you see around for instance, it's like people say they like it to fit in.

It's still a good film though and it isn't nearly as disgustingly over rated as Citizen Kane.

Its about free will whether is it okay to change someone even if he is a psychopath if it means he loses he free will; about psychology as a tool goverment's conditioning of its "subjects".

I dont think its about justice or morality.

It is in my top 3 by the way.

Page One: A documentary about the New York Times.

It is a 90 minutes long propaganda piece for the Times/print media. It shows a newsroom that in very deep in its own ass. The film itself is bad as a film too, no narrative, editing is without any thought. It seems like they had to scratch the inside of the barrell to find 90 minutes of material. It centers around a hardened ex-addict journalist, David Carr, who is twice as deep in his own ass than anybody else.

The film also distorts (or misrepresent) new media, but thats because its really a 1.5 hour lond advert.

1/10.

Its about free will whether is it okay to change someone even if he is a psychopath if it means he loses he free will; about psychology as a tool goverment's conditioning of its "subjects".

I dont think its about justice or morality.

It is in my top 3 by the way.

So the first half is creating the picture that Alex is an absolutely diabolical young man, one of the scum of the earth, and then the second half is showing us that despite just how scummy he ever was we still end up sympathising with him because it's such an inhumane act to take away anyone's free will? Makes more sense but it doesn't explain it's level of ultra-greatness.

So the first half is creating the picture that Alex is an absolutely diabolical young man, one of the scum of the earth, and then the second half is showing us that despite just how scummy he ever was we still end up sympathising with him because it's such an inhumane act to take away anyone's free will? Makes more sense but it doesn't explain it's level of ultra-greatness.

I dont think you meant to sympathise with Little Alex. You might like him as a film character, but Orange is not a morality play, its a bloody good movie. If it raises a few questions, just like the similarly great book, then great, but it isnt supposed to provide the answers.

Its good because of its genius direction, set designs, thought provoking script and superb acting.

Reign Over Me - Adam Sandler showing incredible range here. He really does do frustration and anger quite brilliantly doesn't he?... Punch Drunk Love showed his quirky unstable side and Happy Gilmore is crazy angry Sandler at his best. Reign Over Me is like a balance between the two that makes him the perfect actor for a traumatised character.

How was he not nominated for an Oscar here? The same year that had Johnny Depp for singing a bunch of shit and Viggo for staring in a fairly good action flick but not being great himself. Robbed I tells ya! Robbed!

Watch Barry Lyndon, very underrated and one of Kubrick's best imo.

Watch Barry Lyndon, very underrated and one of Kubrick's best imo.

Didn't really appeal to me in any way other than the elegance of the setting and the camera work, but I can see why people would be drawn to it.

La Belle et La Bete - Magical, wonderful, beautiful. Amazing effects. Of its type, it's hard to imagine anything else coming close. Mesmerising fantasy. 8

The 400 Blows - Went into it half-expecting not to like it because I loved Breathless and there's all that take about Truffaut/Godard, but I thought it was brilliant. 60 years on it still felt fresh and original, intelligently written and shot, captivating, charming and yet heart-breaking; one of my favourite movies. I don't know why I've not watched more French New Wave. 9