Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Have to say I am disappoint in Che. It was just hours of sweaty, hairy blokes bumbling about in the jungle. Especially part two. I'd like to have seen the film cover his early days in Guatemala and a bit more on his darker side. It was also difficult to really follow what was going on in Bolivia. Matt Damon popping up kinda pissed me off too.

The motorcycle diaries was excellent.

thanks for the warning..

Persona - easily one of the best films I've seen, truly beautiful. Can't wait to see more Bergman and I'll definitely be watching this again.

8/10

Liked Mononoke much more than Spirited Away & Howl's, and more than Ghost in the Shell too. It's got proper cinematic scope, some lovely set pieces and I particularly like the way it gave a balanced (or at least semi-balanced) portrayal of both sides of the conflict, rather than just run head down into the "Oh my god humans are so horrible, lets all live in perfect harmony with nature where nothing's ever savage or violent and no one ever dies because we're all so lovely to trees." routine....There was a little bit of that, but by showing Lady Eboshi as a particularly kind and open person, it avoided being too cliche and I though did very well to portray it's protagonists as different people/animals/things in different conflicting situations rather than goodies & baddies...For the most part.

My only problem with it, and the reason I wouldn't rate it alongside Akira, is - and this is a problem with a lot of the Anime I've seen tbh - that the main characters motivations aren't clear, and don't seem to make a lot of sense beyond convenience.

In this case it's mainly that Ashitaka falls for Mononoke, and spends half the film trying to rescue/warn/woo her, despite him meeting her all of once, and them not really seeming to form any great bond during that time...Mononoke herself is a very one note character, that I struggled to give a crap about, making his desire to help her more baffling to me...Is she just, like, really fit?

Eboshi also seemed to have little plausible motivation for what she was doing, and some of it felt quite contradictory to her personality, but at least I liked her, and felt she was a proper character, so I went with it.

That said, easily the strongest Ghibli I've seen. I'd give it a strong 7, leaning to an 8

As an aside, it's funny how the rubbish spirituality and religious themes of our culture are so uncool, and easily and joyously mocked, whilst the absolute bollocks the East comes out with as their mysticism is somehow considered far more artistic and culturally credible....There's surely some hypocrisy in that.

Well, I always have a lot of free time. Just this summer I've had very little to spend that free time on...helps that I brought my 32in home and put it up on the wall too. I wasn't really that into movies before this summer.

Well, I always have a lot of free time. Just this summer I've had very little to spend that free time on...helps that I brought my 32in home and put it up on the wall too. I wasn't really that into movies before this summer.

Sounds a bit like me last summer, decided to watch all the classics right about that time as well. I haven't watched that many movies this year until recently due to not having the time for it and not being arsed watching them on my laptop.

Internet speeds nowadays just make movies so much more accessible too, at least for students with no money to afford DVDs. I can download a normal quality movie in under 10 minutes and I can download a 20gb Blu-ray of The Godfather in a couple of hours. Even just 5 years ago in this thread people were talking about waiting on their download to finish days later.

Seems like none of you, Spoony, ole or co. have watched that many movies this year. Thought I'd try and liven this thread up a bit because of that.

Christ you're chewing them up like a starving man. It took me 20 years to watch that lot.

Hehe, at the rate I'm going it'll take me 20 weeks...I'm just taking them all in while I have the time since I'll be starting work later this month. Sort of feel like I might regret watching so many great movies in such a short space of time though.

Solaris - after reading a bit on Tarkovsky I was quite confident most of the symbolism and depth of message would be a bit too much for me, never mind the choice of subject, and I'd just find his work painfully dull, pretentious and inaccessible...but I loved this. Such depth of beauty and atmosphere, a great concept executed masterfully. Might watch the Clooney remake just for a laugh.

Un Chien Andalou - hmm. I didn't get it. I don't know what I'm supposed to have taken out from that.

Definitely up there for me, although it seems like it's widely acknowledged Stalker, Zerkalo and Andrei Rublev are all better...which I'm struggling to get my head around. I'd be surprised if they can match the visuals of Solaris though, and that's always a winner for me. Definitely think Zerkalo will be my next Tarkovsky.

Definitely up there for me, although it seems like it's widely acknowledged Stalker, Zerkalo and Andrei Rublev are all better...which I'm struggling to get my head around. I'd be surprised if they can match the visuals of Solaris though, and that's always a winner for me. Definitely think Zerkalo will be my next Tarkovsky.

Not sure about that, but it's definitely Tarkovsky's most accessible film. And Zerkalo's fantastic, but I suspect you're either going to love it or hate it.

The Saint.

I watched this because I have been watching the original series on ITV4.
What a bag of shit this film was , nothing like the series , in the film Templer is nothing more than a common thief and nobody knew who he was or what he looked like , his could not be more removed from the series.
I was very disappointed and Val was dreadful has the Saint.

3/10

Rebecca - really enjoyed the performances of Olivier, Fontaine and Anderson (her particularly), and the opening and closing scenes were fantastic, but the overall movie, the story...I just never really got into it. Didn't help that I was always half-expecting this to be Hitchcock's best throughout. Enjoyable, as seemingly every Hitchock movie is (surely one of the most accessible 'great' directors there is? and for that reason one I think everyone should watch, unlike say Kubrick who has a style some just won't like, never mind Tarkovsky or even Kurosawa), but I prefer at least 4 of the ones I've seen before it. Will have to watch it again at some point down the line I think.

(500 Days of Summer) - was searching through the Sky Movies list, remembered Ole talking this movie up...so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm now convinced Ole's at the very least a metrosexual. Or his wife came on just to talk it up. It was pretty funny when it didn't make me feel my cock slowly shrivel away into nothingness, it's just that was about 10% of the movie. Zooey Deschanel's really not a very good actress. And that bloke from Inception's got a really annoying face.

Still, I want to marry Zooey Deschanel so it was probably still worth it.

Got through 3 today.

Manchurian Candidate Somehow I've managed to go through life not having a clue what this was about so I was happily suprised by the plot. Sinatra is pretty good, the only other film of his I've seen is The man with the golden arm so I knew he could act, and Angela Lansbury is positively fiendish, hard to think she went on to be Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast. Also Leslie Parrish as the love interest is a little minx, I reckon 50 years on she could probably still get it. It has dated in places which is to be expected but it is still a great film and was probably quite scary during all the Cold War Hysteria.

Stir Crazy not sure whether it has dated badly or whether it just isn't my cup of tea but this did nothing for me. Don't get me wrong I laughed at times, even out loud but it wasn't consistently funny and the plot wasn't anywhere near interesting enough to keep up my interest.

Notorious Hitchcock and Grant :drool:. Stunning film, classic, timeless, stonking. I love this movie so much I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant

Got through 3 today.

Manchurian Candidate Somehow I've managed to go through life not having a clue what this was about so I was happily suprised by the plot. Sinatra is pretty good, the only other film of his I've seen is The man with the golden arm so I knew he could act, and Angela Lansbury is positively fiendish, hard to think she went on to be Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast. Also Leslie Parrish as the love interest is a little minx, I reckon 50 years on she could probably still get it. It has dated in places which is to be expected but it is still a great film and was probably quite scary during all the Cold War Hysteria.

Stir Crazy not sure whether it has dated badly or whether it just isn't my cup of tea but this did nothing for me. Don't get me wrong I laughed at times, even out loud but it wasn't consistently funny and the plot wasn't anywhere near interesting enough to keep up my interest.

Notorious Hitchcock and Grant :drool:. Stunning film, classic, timeless, stonking. I love this movie so much I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant

Seven Days in May is a good Cold War thriller and Failsafe is the straight version of Dr. Strangelove.

Rebecca - really enjoyed the performances of Olivier, Fontaine and Anderson (her particularly), and the opening and closing scenes were fantastic, but the overall movie, the story...I just never really got into it. Didn't help that I was always half-expecting this to be Hitchcock's best throughout. Enjoyable, as seemingly every Hitchock movie is (surely one of the most accessible 'great' directors there is? and for that reason one I think everyone should watch, unlike say Kubrick who has a style some just won't like, never mind Tarkovsky or even Kurosawa), but at least 4 of the ones I've seen before it. Will have to watch it again at some point down the line I think.

(500 Days of Summer) - was searching through the Sky Movies list, remembered Ole talking this movie up...so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm now convinced Ole's at the very least a metrosexual. Or his wife came on just to talk it up. It was pretty funny when it didn't make me feel my cock slowly shrivel away into nothingness, it's just that was about 10% of the movie. Zooey Deschanel's really not a very good actress. And that bloke from Inception's got a really annoying face.

Still, I want to marry Zooey Deschanel so it was probably still worth it.
Possibly.

Well at least you picked one good movie.

Anyone recommend any thrillers?

Seven Days in May is a good Cold War thriller and Failsafe is the straight version of Dr. Strangelove.

Cheers mate, I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Failsafe this afternoon, fantastically tense with some great dialogue thrown in, particularly the negotiations and Walter Matthau explaining the inevitable post nuclear war battle between hardened criminals and file clerks.

I'll be getting of hold seven days in may in the next couple of days.

Cape Fear - It's fair to say that after having watched Night of the Hunter and this one that Robert Mitchum terrifies me. I also couldn't help but thinking about Sideshow Bob, surely this film must have been some sort of basis for his character.

Well at least you picked one good movie.

Anyone recommend any thrillers?

Oldboy
Mulholland Drive
Jacob's Ladder
Infernal Affairs
The Third Man
Children of Men
The Chaser
A Prophet
Miller's Crossing
All the President's Men

That's a few.

The Right Stuff. I'm not really interested in aviation/spaceflight but I loved this movie. The pilots and astronauts, for all their perceived flaws (read: personality traits), were bona-fide heroes. A truly uplifting film.
------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Right_Stuff_(film)

Cape Fear - It's fair to say that after having watched Night of the Hunter and this one that Robert Mitchum terrifies me. I also couldn't help but thinking about Sideshow Bob, surely this film must have been some sort of basis for his character.

The episode where Bob harasses the Simpsons until they change their identity and move to live on that boat is based off of both versions of Cape Fear. In fact, I'm pretty sure the episode is called 'Cape Fear'. Classic episode.

Oldboy
Mulholland Drive
Jacob's Ladder
Infernal Affairs
The Third Man
Children of Men
The Chaser
A Prophet
Miller's Crossing
All the President's Men

That's a few.

Been putting off Oldboy for a while, willl watch it and The Third Man in the next few days. Loved Mulholland Drive, Infernal Affairs and Un Prophète.

Cape Fear - It's fair to say that after having watched Night of the Hunter and this one that Robert Mitchum terrifies me.

Night of the Hunter is fantastic...very shocking. Charles Laughton should have directed more.

The original Cape Fear shits over the remake. Mitchum was a real force of nature on the screen.

I haven't seen either Cape Fear actually...I always forget about it. I think i've seen bits of the De Niro one here and there, but snce I know what happens, I sort of haven't got any desire to see it either.

Anyone seen Project NIM yet?