Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I'm an hour into funny people at the moment, quite like it but I've no idea how they're going to strech a further hour and a half out without really ballsing it up.

Yup I was right, it's like they stuck a hour of a whole different movie in there. Shame really as I was pretty close to actually liking a Judd Apatow film.

Pirates of the Carribean

I didn't get this one. Only star was Jack Sparrow, the rest of the actors were shit. What was the point of the mermaid? Throughout the movie, I kept asking myself, "would you rather bang a fish with human legs, or a human with a fish torso?" Still undecided.

Watch it if you're a fan of the series. 5/10.

Vanishing on 7th Street

Pathetic. Makes no sense what so ever, and posed FAR more questions than it answered. To be fair though it had the potential to be a good movie.

I should have known a horror movie starring Hayden Christensen that never made it to the big screen (down here at least) was going to suck.

I was actually angry after watching it, and felt I needed to watch something awesome to wipe it from my mind. That sums it up... I'm giving it a: 2/10

Never Let Me Go:

Very poignant story set somewhere in an alternate reality with a group of children - who we see grow into adults - learning pretty soon that they have been created and chosen for one main purpose. The film sensitively deals with a lot of the feelings of worthlessness that comes from being born for such a basic purpose also the relationships that these children strike up with each other in adulthood and how these relationships are tested by the fate that they are all too aware lies in store for them. Features some excellent performances from Keira Knighley, Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield. A really thought provoking movie that I’d strongly recommend.
8/10

The Disappearance Of Alice Creed:

Well told three header staring Gemma Arterton, Eddie Marsen(you’ll recognise him when you see him) and Martin Compston(who I’d never seen before). The film is about the kidnap of a girl Alice Creed(Gemma arterton) and the ensuing twists and turns that result from the complex relationships between the characters. I went into this not really expecting too much but I was pleasantly surprised. Has a pretty sharp and well thought out script, plays out like a thriller with a lot of cunning twists to the story. Good performances all round and a very memorable opening to the film make for an enjoyable and well told story with very few unbelievable twists (a good achievement with any thriller).Good movie and worth a watch.

7/10

Manhunter

Michael Mann's 1986 film, based on Thomas Harris's novel Red Dragon.

Dated in part, but still an excellent movie. Highlights (for me) being Brian Cox's Lecktor/Lecter, Tom Noonan's Francis Dollarhyde, and understated excellence from Dennis Farina as Jack Crawford.

Far more authentic than the later Hannibal films, and in-line with Harris's superb book (which, in my view, is still a great read, written well before Harris went all Baroque and self-indulgent on us).

8/10

Unknown

Liam Neeson bangs his head and falls in to a coma for a few days. When he wakes up his wife denies knowing him and some other geezer has taken his place.

And from that interesting premise comes a plodding, derivative and pretty uninvolving 'thriller'. Think 'The Bourne Identity' without the action.

After 45 minutes I couldn't really give a toss who he was or what was going on.

5/10 at best.

I just watched The Illusionist for the first time. I've been purposely putting it off for years as I didn't want to watch it too soon after The Prestige, which is one of my favourite movies ever.

It was a good movie, but must say I expected more and am slightly disappointed.

I just watched The Illusionist for the first time. I've been purposely putting it off for years as I didn't want to watch it too soon after The Prestige, which is one of my favourite movies ever.

It was a good movie, but must say I expected more and am slightly disappointed.

It's more of a Romance movie than anything else, isn't it? Even Ed Norton can't make it into anything truly intriguing or memorable.

I love The Prestige though.

X - Men : First Class

Reasonably entertaining comic book fodder populated with bland peripheral (particularly the female) characters but held together by Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy in the lead roles.

My expectations were pretty high going in but they didn't quite get met. It's certainly better than the last 2 X-Men flicks and on a par with the first 2 but a notch below the likes of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in many respects.

Kevin Bacon plays the villain with just the right amount of ham (pun intended) and there are some decent action set pieces and a great cameo which you would do well not to read about before going in.

Like I said though, the movie belongs to McAvoy and in particular Fassbender who apart from his accent innocously slipping back into his native Irish in the last 20 minutes is faultless.

That said, although the chemistry between the 2 was great I didn't really buy the deep friendship that had supposedly formed between them but then I guess this is what happens when you try and cram it all into one movie. The break up of the relationship just felt slightly rushed.

A solid 7/10

^

I saw it earlier tonight too. I thought it was a good movie, easily the best out of the X-Men series so far, but that's not really saying much.

I thought the two lead actors were good, and even looked like their to-be older selves (Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian)... But like Cassius says above it's hard to buy into the 'deep friendship' because there was too much to fit in.

I agree with everything he (Cassius) said.

The Fighter: Where do I start with this one, not impressed at all and can’t even understand why Christian Bale(who is good but no more than that in it) got Oscar nominated(perhaps an indication of just how average the overall candidates were for this year’s prize).

A very puzzling film, First of all as a boxing fan even before seeing the movie I would question whether Mickey Ward’s story is even one that is epic enough to warrant a big screen movie based on it. Secondly if you are going to make a film based on his story at least make sure somebody on the production team understands the basics of what a boxing match looks like, don’t pick a team who have spent their life watching Rocky movies thinking that’s what boxing looks like.

I honestly can’t remember a single jab being thrown in any fight, its all hooks and power punches no appreciation of the basic setup work that fighters do. And I do realise that Mickey Ward was a blood and guts smash mouth fighter but he was still a reasonably accomplished fighter who did understand the need to jab occasionally. And so the attempts to give each fight a televisual appearance are wasted by the Rocky esque fight scenes. Thirdly it is criminal that - upon deciding to base a story on a fighter as ordinary as Ward - they then chose to ignore/pass over the one set of fights that elevated him beyond the journeyman status his career perhaps would otherwise deserve- the Gatti Wars. They only get a mention before the closing credits, so we have pretty much the highlight of Ward’s career completely missing from a film of his life. Ridiculous really.

A below average movie, don’t go expecting much or you’ll be as disappointed as I was.
5/10

Cinderella Man: For me a real 2 fingered salute to a film like The Fighter(was released before) that claims to be the best Boxing movie since Rocky(they can keep that award). This film displays so much of the heart and cinematic craft that’s missing from The Fighter. Staring Russell Crowe as James J. Braddock this is the story of his truly underdog triumph set against the backdrop of the American depression.

Good supporting performances from Rene Zelwegger and Paul Giamatti make a brilliant central performance from Crowe all the more enjoyable. Even featured a moment that made me genuinely emotional as he goes cap in hand to his boxing promoters. Well shot and a genuinely cinema worthy story this is one movie that I really enjoyed. Far more worthy of your time than the Fighter. A good solid boxing movie.
7.5/10

The Hangover Part II - I thoroughly enjoyed The Hangover (First) as it was a breath of fresh air in terms of raunchy comedies. It had a surprisingly good script with plenty of great one liners. Thus, I walked into the second installment without much expectation. For one, sequels are usually predictably shit and two, I saw the trailer and it looked to be a carbon copy of the first. However, I enjoyed the sequel as well albeit just a bit less.

In terms of plot, it is virtually identical and I was rather put off in the beginning but as the movie progressed, I started enjoying it. It had similar subtle one liners but a lot more immature toilet humour this time round. Perhaps the director intended this sequel to appeal to the mass more. However, it was rather enjoyable but it would probably appeal more towards individuals that have not seen the first due to its proximity.

:lol: The Doogie Howser joke

Anyways, go watch it. 7/10

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

Didn't know what to expect from this one. It had gotten pretty good reviews and was a comedy so I went for it. Also saw Alan Tudyk in it as a hillbilly so that helped the decision.

Very funny movie. There's some "horror" in it but it's horror in the same way Shaun of the Dead was. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the inspiration for this movie (it's not about zombies though).

The plot is elegant (that's a movie describing word right?). I'm not gonna go to much into it though because I'd probably cause more harm than good. Let's just say it plays of stereotypes nicely. Let the poster do the talking instead.

Photos from Tucker & Dale vs Evil

8/10 for me. This is a keeper.

Les amours imaginaires
(Heartbeats)

8/10

A French-Canadian film about unrequited love with a gay guy and his straight female friend falling for the same (straight) bloke. It’s shot in an MTV/TV advert style which normally gets right (see Michel Gondry) on my tits but works well here. There are echoes of nouvelle vague and a nod to ‘Jules et Jim’ and the narrative is intercut with some hilarious mockumentary footage of obsessives explaining their love hang-ups.
Director Xavier Dolan also manages to write the screen play, take one of the main leads and produce the film (stick a broom up his arse and I’m sure he’d have swept the floor too). A fantastically well done low-budget movie with a sure touch that doesn’t take itself too seriously and invites an unflattering comparison with a clunky and unfunny Brit effort like ‘Attack the Block'.

Hanna I have to be critical, simply because somebody somewhere, at one time, thought this was a good idea.
0/10

Really disappointed in "Midnight in Paris" I'm a big fan of earlier WA stuff and was led to believe this one was a throw back...... It gets a really high rating on RT so was very optimistic going in!

Very disappointing, the ultimate plot line and message at the end seems like it was written by a 12 year old, it is clear Woody is at the beginning of dementia and is beginning to question his mortality which could be interesting if done well...... this was NOT!!

4/10 This is probably the last chance I'll give him, I'll have to give Crimes and Misdemeanors a run to get over it

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

Didn't know what to expect from this one. It had gotten pretty good reviews and was a comedy so I went for it. Also saw Alan Tudyk in it as a hillbilly so that helped the decision.

Very funny movie. There's some "horror" in it but it's horror in the same way Shaun of the Dead was. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the inspiration for this movie (it's not about zombies though).

The plot is elegant (that's a movie describing word right?). I'm not gonna go to much into it though because I'd probably cause more harm than good. Let's just say it plays of stereotypes nicely. Let the poster do the talking instead.

Photos from Tucker & Dale vs Evil

8/10 for me. This is a keeper.

I agree with this

Hanna I have to be critical, simply because somebody somewhere, at one time, thought this was a good idea.
0/10

Could used more violence, and more coherent storyline. Also, agree with you rating.

I saw Tucker and Dale, 8/10 seems very generous. Not anywhere near as good as Shaun of the Dead

Also Hanna wasn't that bad. Problem is, like a lot of films, it's storyline was too farfetched to be taken seriously, but instead of attempting to divert away from this fact with lots of action and fighting, it did the opposite and somehow managed to make the fighting scenes look out of place as if they were thrown in afterwards. Also some of the pretentious camera shots didn't help. Plus side is I saw that girl in the film The Way Back and she was very good in that as well for a 16/17 year old. Looks to be a talented young actress

Yeah I really enjoyed it but it certainly wasn't that good. I think it's been overrated purely because a farce film of this nature in Hollywood is quite rare.

Pretty much it. I like those movies more than I like watching a film which sole purpose of being good is that twist at the end. I enjoy myself way more watching this than I do watching Lolita for instance, a film with about the same rating.
I also think I would enjoy myself watching it again. Some movies you simply don't watch again. Can't underrate the repeat value of it.

Also Hanna wasn't that bad. Problem is, like a lot of films, it's storyline was too farfetched to be taken seriously, but instead of attempting to divert away from this fact with lots of action and fighting, it did the opposite and somehow managed to make the fighting scenes look out of place as if they were thrown in afterwards. Also some of the pretentious camera shots didn't help. Plus side is I saw that girl in the film The Way Back and she was very good in that as well for a 16/17 year old. Looks to be a talented young actress

She's very good in Atonement and The Lovely Bones as well. I recommend The Lovely Bones. It will give you the chills. It also has Stanley Tucci in a very good non-gay role.

Hall Pass

Written by a bunch of people who thought they had a good idea for a romantic comedy, but then realised a third of the way in they didn't...unfortunately a good third of the movie after the audience realised it.

Raise The Red Lantern: Was completely blown away by this movie having deliberately read no reviews of it before hand. A Beautifully shot, amazingly well written look at life in 1920’s Japan though the eyes of a 19 year old girl who is sent to become the 4th wife of a powerful Lord. Taking place pretty much entirely within the confines of the Lord’s large estate, this is the kind of movie that stays with you long after it’s finished thanks to excellent performances (especially Gong Li in the central role), a completely absorbing and engaging plot and a shocking conclusion. A real must see for not just foreign movie fans but any fans of good cinema. Exceptional movie.
9.5/10

Aguirre Wrath of God: I’ll admit to finally pushing myself to watch this based on the strong recommendations of our own R Nilsson (I had heard of it before via channel 4 reviews). A surprisingly excellent offbeat experience of a movie I really enjoyed this one. The story is basically about a Spanish soldier named Aguirre who is pretty much second in command(or somewhere lower) of a band of Conquistadors lead by a monarch/lord. What quickly ensues is a coup where the clearly unhinged Aguirre takes command and madness reigns supreme under his charge. An excellent movie shot in a very accomplished yet unpolished way (the actors in some cases are all too aware that they are being filmed). Staring an excellent central performance from the late Klaus Kinsky this is a must see for any fan of foreign Cinema. A highly recommended and unsettling movie.
8/10

Audition: There probably aren’t very many movies I’ve seen lately that lead you in one direction by posing as one type of movie before quickly switching into something infinitely darker, and there certainly aren’t many that do it as chillingly as this one. I won’t say too much and I may have done so already but a really unsettling and at times very uncomfortable watch, I’d recommend it for fans of foreign cinema.
7.5/10

Delicatessen: A genuinely off beat and enjoyable movie with a sense of fun and good central performances. Set in an apartment building above a delicatessen/butchers shop in a surreal almost post apocalyptic world this is a black comedy that I’d recommend for anybody looking for something different.
7/10

Machete: Having watched both Death Proof and Planet fear I perhaps knew exactly what to expect of this movie. Having seen and chuckled mildly at the spoof trailers featured in the aforementioned movies I expected to get something out of this in feature length form and indeed I did as it a decently enjoyable but pretty average experience. Perhaps it’s just as well I was prepared for something this deliberately camp and kitsch as if I had higher expectation I would have been severely disappointed. Enjoyable and knowingly over the top but don’t expect too much just switch off your brain and judgemental faculties and try to enjoy a 70’s inspired B-movie experience.
6/10

The Expendables: *large Sigh* not worthy of your time. What probably began as a very well intentioned attempt to recapture the sense of fun that has been missing from movies since the demise of the 80’s style action movie, end up as a train wreck of a movie. As I think back on it I can only imagine that Sly Stallone is still able to command so much respect from those he chooses to work with that they are unable or unwilling to offer him any constructive criticism. A really stinker of a script cripples a cast that looks really impressive on paper. Just about every meat headed, blood and guts, “I can only do one emotion and its rage” type actor is in this one and they are sorely let down by a lack of even decent action set pieces. Some God awful dialogue(you would expect at least some decent one liners from an 80’s inspired action movie) terrible acting, poorly judge attempts at emotion/ meaningful relationships and a world record attempt at sustained gurning by Dolph lungren condemn this movie to the status of terrible and desperate 80’s wannabe. Truly terrible, Avoid.
3/10

I don't know whether we're meant to stick to films which are out in the cinema but I saw two excellent films lately which we got from the local DVD rental:

Inception
Very late off the mark with this one, and it's probably well known how good it is so I won't go into too much detail. Requires a lot of concentration to follow what's going on as it's a complex storyline, but well worth it as it's fascinating. 8/10

True Grit
I've never seen the John Wayne original, but the re-make starring Jeff Bridges is really excellent. The language is spot-on (although I really struggled to understand what Rooster was saying at points), the acting is superb (it's almost unfair to single anyone out but the girl who played the main character was particularly good), and the scenery, camerawork etc was spot-on. Really impressed with this, will probably go and watch the original now but my boyfriend reckons that (unusually) this is better than the original as the Coen Brothers have given it a grittier quality than the original. 8.5/10.

On a related note - how amazing is Christopher Nolan? Never seen a film of his that I didn't think was genuinely impressive.

The Changeling: Angelina Jolie and John Malkovich

Just watched this, and thoroughly enjoyed it. If 'enjoy' is the right word, because it's based on a true story, and is therefore very harrowing.

Some great performances all round, especially from AJ, who I don't actually like that much.

I saw 3 average movies this weekend.

The new X Men - everyone was talking it up but really it wasn't that great. Probably better than Wolverine but all superhero movies now seem so similar.

Thor - same as X Men. What was the last really good superhero movie? Dark Knight? So many of them coming out now you can't even tell them apart. Green Lantern just looks shit and they've picked that guy from Not Another Teen Movie to be Captain America. Seriously?

Kick Ass - The non superhero superhero movie was probably the best of the 3 but that's not saying much. I'd give it a 7 for just the trash talking 10 year old girl though which was funny and yet kind of disturbing.

What did you two gayers think of In Bruges? I loved it...even when it transcended into the absurdity. Thought the characters were fanastic, all kinda of quirky but well rounded. And the dialogue was fantastic. Almost like a Kafa novella crossed with a black comedy.

What did you two gayers think of In Bruges? I loved it...even when it transcended into the absurdity. Thought the characters were fanastic, all kinda of quirky but well rounded. And the dialogue was fantastic. Almost like a Kafa novella crossed with a black comedy.

I remember liking it when I saw it. Been a while.