Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Apparently they'll release a 25 year anniversary, 5 disc set, this year, which will include a new 'final cut' version,.

Which did you prefer, the original or the director's cut? It's astonishing that you can't get both versions on DVD and even more strange is that there's no 5.1 DTS version. I suspect they'll bring out a special box set soon, though.

The Director's Cut is a much better film in most ways but I have a huge amount of affection for the original.

So my mind says DC and my heart the original. I have just got the DC on DVD and I should be able to watch the original before long so I'll let you know the final verdict.

There are 7 versions to date including the Final Cut or Director's Cut Special Edition.

Original Us release with voice over and happy ending
International/Criterion version which had some extra violence included
TV version - swearing etc
2x Unofficial "Director's Cuts" which have only been seen at the odd film festival and prompted Scott to do the
Director's Cut - minus the happy ending and plus the unicorn scene which changed the meaning of the origami unicorn at the end and implied more strongly that Deckard was a replicant
Final Cut - The film Scott wanted to be released and digitally remastered. He wasn't happy with the 97 Director's Cut because he had to hurry it out due to commitments to Thelma and Louise.

If it is a 5 disc set I'd expect one or both of the original cinematic releases plus both official Director's Cuts and a disc of extras.

Movie - the astronaut farmer
theastronautfarmerposter.jpg

plot - billy bob thornton lives in a farm and has a dream to build an space ship and launch himself into space.

rating - 4.5/10. pace was too slow, dialogue was cheesy and boring, effects were crap. Infact i'm only giving it a 4.5 because of the milf who was in it

:drool:

Has anyone seem Alejandro Jodorowsky's work??

The Holy Mountain, El Topo and Santa Sangre?

I've seen El Topo and Santa Sangre and thought they were excellent. Weird as feck, but in a good way. Strangely engrossing, too. I'd recommend them to anyone who likes bizarre, unpredictable films

I thought that in America was brilliant but not for the AIDS storyline whihc was a little clumsily dealt with. The children's acting was superb and the Irish illegals in the US part was what I enjoyed.

The kids were brilliant. But you have to see Ponette to see some of the best acting from children ever.

I've seen El Topo and Santa Sangre and thought they were excellent. Weird as feck, but in a good way. Strangely engrossing, too. I'd recommend them to anyone who likes bizarre, unpredictable films

Surprised you've not seen The Holy Mountain as well. I'm going to check all three out.

The Director's Cut is a much better film in most ways but I have a huge amount of affection for the original.

So my mind says DC and my heart the original. I have just got the DC on DVD and I should be able to watch the original before long so I'll let you know the final verdict.

The cheesy voice-over kinda suited the film noir style of the film.

So, was he a replicant then?

And I've just seen The Straight Story. Lovely hearty warming film. It's amazing is that it was directed by David Lynch. No twists, hidden meanings, metaphors et al. Shocking.

Hope. Even though this movie isn't even close to being done, I'll still review it. I'm working on it, and I can say it is shaping up to be one bad movie. A week into production and I am less than impressed.

Just found this thread and as a movie fan i think i have to add this as my favourite....

Just about to watch 4 brothers so i'll let you know what i think later. Saw Shooters yesterday, pretty good movie but everytime i was watching it i kept thinking about Bourne Identity :D

Alright then, name some other of your favourites aside from the obvious ones.(I've got a movie addiction)

I'll give it a go. Best films I have seen in the past few years are:

Come and See
Aguirre Wrath of God
Alphaville
Primer
The Proposition
Threads
Dead Man's Shoes
Old Boy
Cul De Sac

I'm struggling to think of anymore at the moment, tbh.

I'll give it a go. Best films I have seen in the past few years are:

Come and See
Aguirre Wrath of God
Alphaville
The Proposition
Threads
Cul De Sac

I'm struggling to think of anymore at the moment, tbh.

Not seen these, although, Come and See's on my to watch list. And Werner Herzog does interest me.

Saw 11:14 last night. I'd say it was a comedy, crime thriller. The events were told from five different perspectives, which is hardly original, I guess. hilarious at times, other times just down right cringeworthy. But a good entertaining movie nonetheless.

Not seen these, although, Come and See's on my to watch list. And Werner Herzog does interest me.

Saw 11:14 last night. I'd say it was a comedy, crime thriller. The events were told from five different perspectives, which is hardly original, I guess. hilarious at times, other times just down right cringeworthy. But a good entertaining movie nonetheless.

Spoon , you're the movie critic around here.
Did you saw The Jacket?
I loved it, great movie, what's you're opinion?

I thought the Jacket was average. Keira Knightley looks really really thin in that movie and all I kept wishing someone would fix her a sandwich, which Adrian Brody finally did.

Also, I haven't seen the Painist but I can't believe that that really long nose won a best actor Oscar.

I thought the Jacket was average. Keira Knightley looks really really thin in that movie and all I kept wishing someone would fix her a sandwich, which Adrian Brody finally did.

Also, I haven't seen the Painist but I can't believe that that really long nose won a best actor Oscar.

I don;t really find her that attractive. Too skinny, plus I hate her smile, it's really weird. And I liked The Pianist, better than SL for me.

Brody's a decent actor, somewhat over-rated though.

Which of the current bunch do you rate as actors, mehro and Spoony?

I think Brad Pitt is an excellent actor. I thought Johnny Depp was good before the Pirates' series. Tom Hanks has probably done the best roles in recent years but again his last movie was extremely disappointing. Di Caprio is the one actor I always thought was going to be shit but has turned around very well. He's picked his movies well and done some really good roles over the last 3-4 years. Matt Damon is the most overrated imo. I thought he was good in the first Supremacy movie and has consistently been getting worse since then.

Of all the new actors like Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Daniel Craig I think Eric Bana is the best. He did one horrible movie in The Hulk but he was excellent in Black Hawk Down, Munich and especially Troy where he completely outshone Pitt.

I think Brad Pitt is an excellent actor. I thought Johnny Depp was good before the Pirates' series. Tom Hanks has probably done the best roles in recent years but again his last movie was extremely disappointing. Di Caprio is the one actor I always thought was going to be shit but has turned around very well. He's picked his movies well and done some really good roles over the last 3-4 years. Matt Damon is the most overrated imo. I thought he was good in the first Supremacy movie and has consistently been getting worse since then.

Of all the new actors like Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Daniel Craig I think Eric Bana is the best. He did one horrible movie in The Hulk but he was excellent in Black Hawk Down, Munich and especially Troy where he completely outshone Pitt.

Bale and Bana are two of my favourites at the moment, and Hulk wasn't that bad. :p

I think Bale is excellent, somehow I like Damon's acting too.Di Caprio's come along in leaps.Daniel Day Lewis should do more movies IMO...class actor.

Bale was something else in The Machinist. I couldn't believe it was him. How can anyone lose that much weight without serious health problems?

And Adrian Brody isn't an actor. He's just a really long nose pretending to be an actor. Maybe he's Plech.

He was excellent in Memento too.

Prestige disappointed me quite a bit, had heard a lot about it...Nolan overdid it a bit.Bale was very good though, and Bowie as Tesla!:lol: I couldn't believe my eyes.

He was excellent in Memento too.

Prestige disappointed me quite a bit, had heard a lot about it...Nolan overdid it a bit.Bale was very good though, and Bowie as Tesla!:lol: I couldn't believe my eyes.

He wasn't in Memento. That was Mike from Neighbours. Agreed about Prestige, though.

Well to be fair to him, I'd find any South African or white Zimbabweans accent hilarious