Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Chasing Amy - Jesus fecking Christ, that's the worst voice I've ever heard in my life. There's a long scene which involves her screaming a lot and she's tearing my ears apart. I'm watching it muted with the subtitles on now.

The Social Network

9/10

Great movie

Yeah, I am dying to see that movie. When I saw the billboards and the ads, I thought it was a fecking joke but everyone is raving about it. Rottentomatoes rated it 97% the last time I checked.

The Condemned.
Brutal film ,I only watched because of the review during the crap City game.
I enjoyed it,apart from the women beating parts.
Vinny Jones was just pure evil in it.
Glad the evil shit that thought it all up got his in the end

Cheers Paul. You just helped me to waste an hour and a half of my life with that review. I should have known when I saw that it was a wwe production that it was going to be shit. It may as well have been WWF.

Anyway. Predictable and unoriginal. Basically the same storyline as the Tournament but without Robert Carlisle to add watchablilty and without the tongue in cheek that gave the viewer of the tournament the relief of knowing that it wasn't meant to be entirely serious.

From the moment the big yank appears you know what's going to happen. You know the whole plot and if forced to could even have predicted the closing sound track.

2/10 if i'm in a generous mood.

The Hole

Bit of a weird one this. Directed by Joe Dante (Gremlins) it's almost a throwback to the 'horror' style movies of the 80's in that it straddles that middle ground between too scary for kids but not scary enough for adults. That said, it was a fairly enjoyable 90 minutes.

Plot is simple, a group of kids move into a new house and find a bolted trap door in their cellar which (kids being kids) they decide to open and unleash the horros lurking within.

So, not outstanding but not shit. Probably enough to scare the missus and would be quite cathartic for anyone that suffered loads of nightmares as a kid. The clown was creepy as fcuk.

edit: Oh yeah, the bird in this is a super hottie. Haley Bennett

haley-bennett1.jpg

Yeah, I am dying to see that movie. When I saw the billboards and the ads, I thought it was a fecking joke but everyone is raving about it. Rottentomatoes rated it 97% the last time I checked.
The book was really dull. I'm interested in seeing it simply to find out how he managed to derive an entertaining movie from it.

Cheers Paul. You just helped me to waste an hour and a half of my life with that review. I should have known when I saw that it was a wwe production that it was going to be shit. It may as well have been WWF.

Anyway. Predictable and unoriginal. Basically the same storyline as the Tournament but without Robert Carlisle to add watchablilty and without the tongue in cheek that gave the viewer of the tournament the relief of knowing that it wasn't meant to be entirely serious.

From the moment the big yank appears you know what's going to happen. You know the whole plot and if forced to could even have predicted the closing sound track.

2/10 if i'm in a generous mood.

Sorry mate , did not know it was a WWE effort.
I did enjoy it though.
I bet you have watched worse ?

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

I found the original mildly entertaining so this was a real disappointment; the premise is painfully obvious, the dialogue doesn't feel authentic, the characters are one dimensional, the soundtrack is abysmal and it doesn't grip you enough to hold your attention for over two hours. Michael Douglas does his level best to redeem a flawed script by picking up where he left off with the Gordon Gecko character but it isn't enough to make the experience bearable.

5/10

Audition - To start off, I'm not a massive fan of horror movies, except for the odd psychological horror. The build up was devoid of any real tension I thought, which is OK and I didn't really mind it but I was sort of expecting something more to happen in the end. Decent enough movie but I prefer the other Miike films I've seen over this one, Visitor Q (I thought it was hilarious), Bird People in China (You wouldn't have guessed it was he who directed it).

La Grande Illusion - It was released just a few years before WWII and is a very humanistic film, which was really nice to see. Throughout the movie the social class appear to be more relevant than nationality, and it's set in a prison camp! I can understand why Goebbels and co wanted it banned.

Four Lions - Yes, brilliant. It had been a long time since I last saw a comedy that was funny and lived up to the hype.

Chasing Amy - Jesus fecking Christ, that's the worst voice I've ever heard in my life. There's a long scene which involves her screaming a lot and she's tearing my ears apart. I'm watching it muted with the subtitles on now.

Sounds about right, except you forgot to mention it's a shit film too.

Has anyone seen the Town yet?

Going to seen it this weekend, it looks like it's going to be a decent movie.

I went against my instincts and olesmyhero's advice and I watched Couples Retreat. Boredom does strange things to you!

Do not watch this movie!

The Social Network

9/10

Great movie

Can't wait for that one. Fincher is my favorite director, he's the fecking man.

And the fact that Aaron Sorkin wrote the script, Trent Reznor is doing the score, and it has a 9.5/10 average score with Top Critics at RT (which is unprecedented as far as I know) doesn't hurt either

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

I found the original mildly entertaining so this was a real disappointment; the premise is painfully obvious, the dialogue doesn't feel authentic, the characters are one dimensional, the soundtrack is abysmal and it doesn't grip you enough to hold your attention for over two hours. Michael Douglas does his level best to redeem a flawed script by picking up where he left off with the Gordon Gecko character but it isn't enough to make the experience bearable.

5/10

I ll go with 6/10, but that is about it. He makes the movie, but it is a watered down version of what really happened. I think it could have been a more interesting one if they concentrated more on Wall Street then trying to insert the love story.

I watched the Wrestler and thought it was pretty good. Rourke does a fantastic job in the lead, but then he's basically lived that life himself, so I guess he's drawing on real experiences.

I'd give it 7/10.

Dinner with Schmuks

So last night I was all psyched to go see the Town, but unfortunately I got my times wrong (and the Town was all booked out)... So we went and saw this instead.

Avoid.

Boy A low budget NZ film that is an utter delight to watch. A simple but well acted and funny film with few pretensions and all the better for it. To tell you more would spoil it, so just watch it ASAP. My film of the year so far. Brilliant last line. 9.5/10

Animal Kingdom

Gritty Australian drama following a young lad forced to live with his criminal relatives after his mother dies suddenly from a drug overdose. He gets caught up in a war between his family and the police. Well worth a watch although it kind of peters out in the last 30 minutes.

Bonnie and Clyde, good. Network, even better. Faye Dunaway was sexy as feck in both of them, especially in the first one.

The Hustler - One of the best if not the best sport film I've ever seen.

How to Train Your Dragon - Decent animated film. Better than Toy Story 3 I thought. The animation was top notch.

Splice - fecking shit and bizarre

Robin Hood - fecking shit and boring

Dinner with Schmuks

So last night I was all psyched to go see the Town, but unfortunately I got my times wrong (and the Town was all booked out)... So we went and saw this instead.

Avoid.

:lol:

I've been waiting for this movie to be made for years after having seen and loved the original French movie The Dinner Game. Always wanted to see how the Hollywood remake would turn out.

Predictably shit, I gather.

I've been waiting for this movie for years after having seen and loved the original French movie The Dinner Game. Always wanted to see how the Hollywood remake would turn out.

Yeah, I loved the original French one. This new one has one or two funny moments but other than that it's crap.

King of Fighters

Really crappy movie. Avoid. Only good points are that Maggie Q (Nikita Series) is fit and for the ladies, there's Sean Faris. (Never Back Down)

Tekken

A bit better then King of Fighters, but then again most movies are ;) Entertaining for the fight scenes, some randomly smoking hooooootttt birds in it, otherwise nothing special. See it if you are desperate.

I've been waiting for this movie to be made for years after having seen and loved the original French movie The Dinner Game. Always wanted to see how the Hollywood remake would turn out.

Very.

Like McLovin said, there's one or two funny moments but for the rest of the time it's rubbish. And the thing is I can't even remember those few funny moments either, which says something.

The Trotsky 10/10

Can't recommend it any higher. Jay Baruschel is the reincarnated Leon Trotsky and attempts a revolution in his high school. It's fecking hilarious.

Mr. Nobody 8.5/10

A Fistful of Dollars 9.5/10