Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Some of the Kubrick films I've seen have left me a bit cold after watching them, so I can sort of understand him a little...often very sterile and emotionless his films are.

This is very true, even though I like the Kubrick films that I've seen. He was probably a robotic directing machine or something.

Some of the Kubrick films I've seen have left me a bit cold after watching them, so I can sort of understand him a little...often very sterile and emotionless his films are.

I see what you mean although of course thats definately done on purpose with the "gods eye" method of story telling.

I just think most people should be able to find at least one Kubrick movie they like - i'm not suggesting that they love it - but i would expect most people to find some thing something they like in his catalogue.

I agree. Why I can't stand his films. Pretentiously posed still life on celluloid.

Dr Strangelove I suppose I should have watched this ages ago because it hasn't aged well. Surprisingly for Kubrik the cinematography is poor. The plot may have been amusing and new when it was made but isn't now. Little more than a showcase for Sellars. I really should have known better than to watch this. 3/10

I see what you mean although of course thats definately done on purpose with the "gods eye" method of story telling.

I just think most people should be able to find at least one Kubrick movie they like - i'm not suggesting that they love it - but i would expect most people to find some thing something they like in his catalogue.

I haven't seen one yet. And I think I've seen all his features.

Dr Strangelove I suppose I should have watched this ages ago because it hasn't aged well. Surprisingly for Kubrik the cinematography is poor. The plot may have been amusing and new when it was made but isn't now. Little more than a showcase for Sellars. I really should have known better than to watch this. 3/10

You realise you've given the same score to "Get him to the Greek" as you have Dr Strangelove? Somebody should confiscate your laptop for that sacrilege.

You realise you've given the same score to "Get him to the Greek" as you have Dr Strangelove? Somebody should confiscate your laptop for that sacrilege.

Both were shit. That said Dr Strangelove was better than most of his films and does have the excuse of age. In retrospect I gave Get Him To The Greek 1 point too many.

The ending was awful. Basically it was a shite film.

I enjoyed it, although the special effects were awful in places.
I just liked the fact that they were so close to salvation and he killed them all
It wasn't your typical ending and I liked it because of that. It's by no means a classic, but i wouldn't say it was shite.

Both were shit. That said Dr Strangelove was better than most of his films and does have the excuse of age. In retrospect I gave Get Him To The Greek 1 point too many.

I enjoyed get him to the Greek. It was a bit too long which seems to be an Apatow trait. It did have some unnecessary scenes and the scenes where Brand sung were a bit naf. However, it did make me genuinely laugh in quite a few scenes and that's quite rare for me.

I generally find Apatow films very lazy with only enough comedy for 1/3 of a film. Like much US comedy these days the scriptwriting is very lazy. A contrast to US TV comedy where the opposite is often true.

The Condemned.
Brutal film ,I only watched because of the review during the crap City game.
I enjoyed it,apart from the women beating parts.
Vinny Jones was just pure evil in it.
Glad the evil shit that thought it all up got his in the end

The Condemned.
Brutal film ,I only watched because of the review during the crap City game.
I enjoyed it,apart from the women beating parts.
Vinny Jones was just pure evil in it.
Glad the evil shit that thought it all up got his in the end

It helped me remember how much I used to fancy Dee from Neighbours mostly.

Oh wow.

You should see my review of his other films. I suspect he was a highly functional sociopath because he had no connection to human emotion. All his films seem like mere imitations of life.

Four Lions.

Funniest film I've seen in a long long time, the whole film is smart too but what else would you expect from Chris Morris, brilliant. 8.5/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street(2010)
To be honest I was a bit disappointed with this ,it did not have the scary feel of the original and the guy who played Krugar was not a patch on Robert Englund.
In fact I got bored during the middle of it and it never really picked up.
Poor remake 5/10

:o A horror remake not living up to the original?!?! Who'd have thought? Hehe.

Watched a few documentaries recently, including The Cove was really good, and made me want to save dolphins. Although I did spend far too much of the film thinking about the South Park episode, and it is a little preachy at times, but makes up for it with the actual footage of their 'missions'. 8/10

Also watched The Doors doc. When You're Strange. I've never been a massive fan of the band before, but there really is something quite hypnotic about Jim Morrison. Very enjoyable story, with Johnny Depp the absolutely perfect choice for narration. 8/10

Street Fight was another good one about a political race for the role of Mayor in Newark. Fascinating to see the lengths people go to in order to keep power. 7/10

But that's the real problem, isn't it? You've seen this film before (whether they've altered the story or not, I don't know, but the film is essentially the same thing). Aside from cheap shocks to make you jump, I can't see how a franchise can really be that scary when you know what's coming. Sure, the thought of some guy killing you in your dreams was scary as feck 30 years ago, but when I think Freddy Kruger, I'm more likely to think of the Simpsons parody than be scared.

That combined with the inevitable drop in quality that comes with a horror remake, and really I'd say anything over a 5/10 rating would've been a massive success.

Black Dynamite. There are parts of it that are pretty damn funny, and some that are spot on imitations of blaxploitation films. Sometimes though, it gets too over the top for my liking. The second half of the film is poor. Average movie. 5/10

L'Avventura - I'm pretty sure I liked it. Nicely shot, liked the way it slowly abandoned the initial mystery...overall it reminded me a bit of La Dolce Vita. - 7.5/10

Which one of these movies should I watch next?

Audition
Raise the Red Lantern
Vengeance is Mine
The Lady from Shanghai
Anatomy of a Murder
The Great Silence
La Grande Illusion
Belle de Jour
Good Bye, Lenin!
Delicatessen

Mother Korean crime/thriller.8/10 helps to have a little prior knowledge of the mothers role in the korean family to really understand the story.

Milk of sorrow Peruvian film, about how fear and anxiety can be passed from one generation to the next. Really enjoyed it. 9/10

Talk to her A Spanish film about loneliness. Interesting film that presents a character who should repulse you, but i found myself having nothing but sympathy for him. Great film 9/10

whatever works Woody Allen and Larry David, should have been fantastic, but i was a little disappointed. But the script was written 40 years ago and shelved by Allen. Maybe he should have let David do a rewrite.6/10

Some douche bag at work put 3 films onto my hard drive. Are any of them worth watching....

The Experiment
The Heartbreak Kid
The Killer inside me.

...or should I delete them?

Audition
Raise the Red Lantern
Vengeance is Mine
The Lady from Shanghai
Anatomy of a Murder
The Great Silence
La Grande Illusion
Belle de Jour
Good Bye, Lenin!
Delicatessen

Anatomy of a Murder, Good Bye, Lenin!, Delicatessen and Avatar are all very good.

Audition
Raise the Red Lantern
Vengeance is Mine
The Lady from Shanghai
Anatomy of a Murder
The Great Silence
La Grande Illusion
Belle de Jour
Good Bye, Lenin!
Delicatessen

Audition, Raise the Red Lantern, Goodbye Lenin, Anatomy, and Delicatessen are all fantastic. Not seen the others though, that is except for Avatar..which is probably pointless in 2D. I'd watch Audition and Raise the Red Lantern first - the latter is Zhang's masterpiece.

Some douche bag at work put 3 films onto my hard drive. Are any of them worth watching....

The Experiment
The Heartbreak Kid
The Killer inside me.

...or should I delete them?

The only one I've seen is Heartbreak kid. Average Ben Stiller vehicle with a few mildly amusing moments.

I went to see the new Wall Street movie with LaBeouf and Douglas yesterday, it was very good. A little bit too rushed up at the end - I'd have preferred it to last another 20 minutes but give a more detailed and twisted ending, but I still enjoyed it. 8 out of 10 for me.

Going to see a pre-premiere showing of Social Network next Sunday. It's supposed to be rather good.

I am staying in tonight. Sky are premiering a film called Couples Retreat. In the trailer, it looked about as amusing as contracting Aids.

I'm assuming I shouldn't watch it, anybody seen it?

It's fecking horrible. You're better off going to a club with a few mates and taking photos of yourselves.

:lol: I'm knackered, I am going to curl up on the couch and watch tv. I guess I could photograph myself on the couch from a few different angles?