Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Came across Juno again. Really enjoyed it. again. It was a very good comedy drama film and I thought Ellen Page did very well in her role. She was extremely believable and natural which made the dialogue even funnier than it is.

The Last Airbender:

Absolutely dreadful excuse for a movie. The characters themselves, The storyline, nor The characterization, The stunt sequences...everything sucks. Some special effects are good, but even they dont impress when seen with the rest of the awful package.

Ending shows that there may be a sequel, but I'm not gonna bother...

I paid a little bit to see it myself, so I wish I said to myself that it wasn't that good. And as I also said: I would have liked it better if I haven't heard the hype about it.

I didn't care for the characters at all, and there's too little motivation involved for me to call it excellent. Download it, it's not worth the cash.

Centurion - watched it 2 nights ago. Thought it was ok. Entertaining, not a classic, not Oscar worthy. Very much like Pathfinder (story wise) almost. Olga Karyulenko :drool: 6/10

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 9/10 - Got to see an advanced preview of this last night! Excellent film overall, I went in with high expectations yet felt I was going to be let down overall - I was wrong! Edgar Wright once again does an excellent job of not only collaborating a mixture of genres (Comedy, Action, Comic Book and… Video Games!?), but also what I thought an excellent piece of direction! The way the video game style has been brought into the film works great, has a lot of humorous plus sides to it and makes the fight scenes that little bit better and stops you not taking them two seriously, how it should be for a film like this!

As a non-reader of the comic book I’m not 100% how closely this follows the comics, but regardless of the plot to me it seems a perfect transition from comic to film. The cast worked great, from Cera, once again playing a similar role to his previous films, yet seemed to fit right for the dorky character Scott Pilgrim is, to the entire supporting cast who played their roles very well, even Routh! Although, as the US box office has shown, I can see this film being like Mamite! I for one really enjoyed it and hope it gets the viewings it deserves, but if you didn’t like the look of it from the trailer… possible stay clear!

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 9/10 - Got to see an advanced preview of this last night! Excellent film overall, I went in with high expectations yet felt I was going to be let down overall - I was wrong! Edgar Wright once again does an excellent job of not only collaborating a mixture of genres (Comedy, Action, Comic Book and… Video Games!?), but also what I thought an excellent piece of direction! The way the video game style has been brought into the film works great, has a lot of humorous plus sides to it and makes the fight scenes that little bit better and stops you not taking them two seriously, how it should be for a film like this!

As a non-reader of the comic book I’m not 100% how closely this follows the comics, but regardless of the plot to me it seems a perfect transition from comic to film. The cast worked great, from Cera, once again playing a similar role to his previous films, yet seemed to fit right for the dorky character Scott Pilgrim is, to the entire supporting cast who played their roles very well, even Routh! Although, as the US box office has shown, I can see this film being like Mamite! I for one really enjoyed it and hope it gets the viewings it deserves, but if you didn’t like the look of it from the trailer… possible stay clear!
I've never read the comic either and I actually enjoyed the film. It's not much like anything you've seen before. Sure, it's over the top and completely out there, but if you go along with it, it's a fun watch.

Step Up 3D - 7/10

My first ever review so here goes.....

Never seen the first or second film but went to see this one the other night and enjoyed it. The use of 3D, the dancing and visuals were amazing although the script and storyline were lacking somewhat.

Good enjoyable film though.

Had a bit a run of comedies recently...

Slither Quite enjoyable comedy horror. Nathan Fillion just makes almost anything worth watching though. 6/10

Mr. Deeds Typical Adam Sandler film. Not as good as his best stuff, not as bad as his worst. 5/10

The Rutles Beatles parody by Eric Idle, funny stuff. Well worth a watch even if he does dedicate far too much time to the songs. 7/10

High Fidelity Great film. Really enjoyed this one, far more than I expected too. Manages to balance the comedy and drama well, definitely worth seeing. 8/10

The Prophet I can see how toward the end of the movie there is a resemblance to Scarface. Great mafia movie, but also a good description on the racial/religious issues within France 8.5/10

The White Ribbon Somebody on this forum who raved about this movie owes me 2 hours of my life. You can not simply do all kinds of "psychonanalytical" analysis in a movie and everything turns great. Just too dark for me. Yes I know that the movie depicts the reasons for the rise of the nationalism in Germany and everything that happened in World War 2, but I was very very disappointed. I also think you can put your message across in your movie by avoiding child sex abuse. 4/10 and I am generous.

Looking for recommendation on other non-hollywood movies.

The Prophet I can see how toward the end of the movie there is a resemblance to Scarface. Great mafia movie, but also a good description on the racial/religious issues within France 8.5/10

The White Ribbon Somebody on this forum who raved about this movie owes me 2 hours of my life. You can not simply do all kinds of "psychonanalytical" analysis in a movie and everything turns great. Just too dark for me. Yes I know that the movie depicts the reasons for the rise of the nationalism in Germany and everything that happened in World War 2, but I was very very disappointed. I also think you can put your message across in your movie by avoiding child sex abuse. 4/10 and I am generous.

Looking for recommendation on other non-hollywood movies.

There's a world out there.

I would recommend looking through the directors of the films you liked and see those films. I see that you didn't like Hanekes work so then I'll say: Don't watch Cache. If you enjoy french films you could see the works of Jean-Luc Godard and Francois Truffaut. You could also give german cinema another try and watch Leben der Anderen, which is a pretty film. Or move east to Russia and check out Tarkovsky and my personal favourite Sokurov.

And seeing as you're a sex-abuse man you could check out the erotic masterpiece known as Salo: The last 120 days of Sodoma. You might get insanely provoked, which I think is a good thing.

I watched the original (don't ask) and I've seen the trailer.

You don't need any more than that to know that it's dire stuff.

:lol:

Having seen the film, you're part of the Step Up 3-wheel who has come this far. I think you should be flattered seeing that someone likes the film you partly funded.

There's a world out there.

I would recommend looking through the directors of the films you liked and see those films. I see that you didn't like Hanekes work so then I'll say: Don't watch Cache. If you enjoy french films you could see the works of Jean-Luc Godard and Francois Truffaut. You could also give german cinema another try and watch Leben der Anderen, which is a pretty film. Or move east to Russia and check out Tarkovsky and my personal favourite Sokurov.

And seeing as you're a sex-abuse man you could check out the erotic masterpiece known as Salo: The last 120 days of Sodoma. You might get insanely provoked, which I think is a good thing.
Mainly stick to his moves from the New Wave era. His movies get very hard to watch when he got into the Dziga Vertov group. Some of his movies in the 80s and 90s are good, but his best films are from the 60s. Start with one of his more accessible films like Le Mepris(Contempt) or Bande A Part(Band of Outsiders).

Because I'd question the sanity of someone who would give that pile of tripe 7 out of 10.

1. You haven't seen it.

2. My opinion.

3. I never said it was the best film ever praised the visuals and use of 3D which I thought was excellent.

4. It's a solid 6-7/10 don't see what's wrong with that.

No Country For Old Men About what I expected for a Coen brothers film, lots happening, a lot of it very good. 8/10

Kenny Brilliant mockumentary about an Australian guy who works with portable toilets. Great performance from the lead as Kenny, really believable, loveable and hilarious. 8/10

Dark City (1998)
The acting was stale, and there some general silliness but somehow I really enjoyed this and was kept engrossed for the entire duration of the film. If you liked Memento or the Matrix (seems like both films borrowed elements from this) then it's a must watch. 8/10

Accidents Happen Lovely cinematography at times, a good script and some great performances make this worth a watch. The black humor works well particularly at the beginning. Sadly the film fades our rather than finishes leaving you a bit didappointed which is a shame. 7/10

Accidents Happen
Saw this last night. Would agree with the above, really excellent coming of age story with a quirky yet credible plot that manages to avoid being too schmaltzy. Geena Davies is outstanding. It's also got my duvet cover from the 80s in it! 8/10

Salt- It's appalling that there are DVDRips for this out already. Naturally I chose not to watch it on a DVDRip, so the following is a review of how I imagine the film plots out;

Angelina Jolie is the CIA agent interrogating a Russian defector when he names her as being a Russian spy. The CIA immediately try and lock her up whilst they investigate the claims, however Jolie has reason to suspect her husbands life is in trouble and has to escape her former employers to try and find him. Cue everyone trying to kill everyone when plots of presidential assassinations start to unravel. There are a few twists and turns in the film, as it quickly becomes clear Jolie actually is not who she says she is, and it will keep you guessing which side Jolie is on throughout. However it's really nothing more than an action flick with Jolie kicking ass for 90minutes, Jason Bourne style. Jolie also looks incredible throughout. Was slightly disappointed with the ending, though I guess it sets up for a sequel if they ever bother. 6.5/10- possibly more if you love the Bourne films.

The girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 7/10
A lot better than most of the thrillers that have been released in recent times. The story does drag a bit at times and towards the end you don't really care anymore as nothing thats about to happen is as bad as what went before.

The Runaways Pretty much ticks every box for a movie about the rise of a rock band. I know pretty much nothing about the band so I couldn't say how much of this is real, but it is pretty damn cliched. Dakota Fanning does an ok job, but I will probably never take that girl from Twilight seriously. Was really wanting to like this more as I like Floria Sigismondi's music videos, but maybe a feature length is too much for her. 5/10

Transsiberian

Surprisingly gripping thriller. Straight away you realise everything is not as it seems and the bad events are waiting to happen, that uneasy feeling remains with you until the bad things do happen. Certainly puts you off ever taking the transsiberian! Woody Harrison and Ben Kingsley feature, directed by Brad Anderson.

7/10

Piranha 3D

God knows why I went to this. Well actually, it's because I heard there was sadistic gore and Kelly Brook in the nip, and I wasn't disappointed. It's completely mindless but so insanely gorey in parts, the 25 minute massacre at the Spring Break lake party is just absolutely nuts, but you'd expect that from the guy who made High Tension I suppose.

Basically, it's shit but a hell of a lot of fun due to the unbelievably excessive gore and tits.

6.5/10

Salt A Bourne clone with angelian Jolie looking great and a more coherent storyline. Simplitic action crap and lots of fun. If you want your intellect challenged then avoid. A great weekend DVD watch.7/10

Just watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Wow, probably the best and most shocking film I have seen in the past few years. Its based in Sweden but has been dubbed in English and a Hollywood version is on the way.

I dont want to tell you too much about it but be prepared as it is graphically shocking both in terms of sexuality and violence and it makes Brad Pitts Se7en feel like a children movie.

'8 of of 10' and on all attributes including direction, script, casting, acting and panorama.

The girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 7/10
A lot better than most of the thrillers that have been released in recent times. The story does drag a bit at times and towards the end you don't really care anymore as nothing thats about to happen is as bad as what went before.

I loved the length of it, it totally absorbed me and allowed for amazing characterisation as story development. I'm very surprised you have rated it so lowly.

The Expendables

Quite possibly the most ridiculous movie I've seen in a long time. Ridiculous plot. Ridiculous dialogue. Ridiculously gratuitous action and violence. Ridiculous cast. Ridiculous cameos. Ridiculous lengths to try to fit in all said ridiculous cast and cameos. Ridiculous special effects. Ridiculous music. The whole feckin movie was one ridiculous scene after another.

And I absolutely enjoyed myself watching it. The only thing that could've made this movie better would've been someone firing a rocket-propelled grenade at Jean Claude Van Damme's legs while he's standing in between two tables and then having him jump up and doing the splits landing on the two tables and having the RPG fly under his crotch.

That and about thirty other gratuitous action scenes and cameos my friends and I thought up on the way back home.

I'll gladly give it a 7/10. 8-9 if you're expecting it to be ridiculous.

Just watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Wow, probably the best and most shocking film I have seen in the past few years. Its based in Sweden but has been dubbed in English and a Hollywood version is on the way.

I dont want to tell you too much about it but be prepared as it is graphically shocking both in terms of sexuality and violence and it makes Brad Pitts Se7en feel like a children movie.

'8 of of 10' and on all attributes including direction, script, casting, acting and panorama.

I would recommend the books instead of the films. For me the films were no more than ok while the books are pretty good.