Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

And Your Mother Too

Another Alfonso Cuaron film… it’s essentially a road trip movie about friendship, sexual experimentation and growing up. Two teenage friends wind up at a party and meet the sexy wife of one of their cousins; during conversation they make up an imaginary beach that they pretend to annually visit to impress her. When she finds out her husband has cheated on her she unexpectedly rings the boys up and asks to join them, they manage to get directions to a beach matching their description from a friend and embark on a road trip together. You can’t really imagine this film being made in America, it has a bold nature about it that is rarely found in Hollywood, the attitude towards sex is juvenile and carefree but it isn’t glossed over or made gratuitously humorous, instead any comedy is derived from the realistic depiction of it.

I was really impressed with this one – I won’t spoil the ending but I liked it alot… I guess I’d summarize it as one of those ‘Things will never be the same after this summer’ type moments. Can’t recommend it enough!

8/10

"Pelada". Documentary about a likable couple in their 20's that couldn't make it to pro footy. They take off and travel the world jumping in on some amazing pickup games in even more amazing locations.

Highly, highly recommend this one. Fantastic craic you see all the time after a kick about, but from all over the world. Jumping in on pickup games when abroad is by far one of the funnest things I get to do.

Pelada (2010)

Red Beard

Another Kurosawa – It’s an epic character piece containing stories within stories, and tragedies within tragedies. The main plot focuses on a young ambitious doctor who is forced to work in a clinic filled with poverty striken patients. Legendary doctor ‘Red Beard’ (Toshiro Mifune) takes him under his wing and teaches him lessons in life and doctoring that helps him mature as a person.

The film occasionally strays from the main narrative – There are subplots involving a dying patient tragic love story and a young girl who loses her family and is taken off the streets by an abusive brother owner.

This is an important film in Kurosawas oeuvre, it’s the last black and white movie he made and was his final collaboration with Toshiro Mifune. From what I’ve seen I’d rank it as his second greatest film behind Seven Samurai.

Up in the Air - I really enjoyed the first hour and a bit of this movie. Simple concept well done. And made much better by the brilliant acting of Anna Kendrick. I have no idea who this girl is but she was good in this movie. The final 20 minutes though were lame, surprisingly expected and didnt feature Anna Kendrick.

7/10

Up in the Air - I really enjoyed the first hour and a bit of this movie. Simple concept well done. And made much better by the brilliant acting of Anna Kendrick. I have no idea who this girl is but she was good in this movie. The final 20 minutes though were lame, surprisingly expected and didnt feature Anna Kendrick.

7/10

I agree the movie got a bit weaker towards the final act but I didn't think the end was that lame...
they didn't go with the typical happy ending at least

500 Days of Summer

. . .and they all lived happily ever after. Was a decent watch to be fair and I thought it was very well produced despite the gimmicky non linear story telling. But yeah, in the end it was the same old, same old.

500 Days of Summer

. . .and they all lived happily ever after. Was a decent watch to be fair and I thought it was very well produced despite the gimmicky non linear story telling. But yeah, in the end it was the same old, same old.
I really liked the movie, and didn't even mind the end. Levitt and Deschanel are 2 of my favorite actors of this current crop of actors though, so I'm a bit biased.

I really liked the movie, and didn't even mind the end. Levitt and Deschanel are 2 of my favorite actors of this current crop of actors though, so I'm a bit biased.

Levitt was good but Deschanel was a bit average. And I can see why you liked it from a technical point of view. But I didn't dislike it. . .and it was a pretty enjoyable film to watch, to be fair.

Levitt was good but Deschanel was a bit average. And I can see why you liked it from a technical point of view. But I didn't dislike it. . .and it was a pretty enjoyable film to watch, to be fair.

I love Deschanel... She seems so sweet and innocent but has this 'unattainable' quality.. at least in the characters she plays.

Levitt is pretty talented, and he chooses some great films, Brick is a fun modern-noir (Why did you fall asleep you tit!), Mysterious Skin is also great.

I liked the ending to 500 days of Summer, it was more bittersweet than generically happy.

I love Deschanel... She seems so sweet and innocent but has this 'unattainable' quality.. at least in the characters she plays.

Levitt is pretty talented, and he chooses some great films, Brick is a fun modern-noir (Why did you fall asleep you tit!), Mysterious Skin is also great.

I liked the ending to 500 days of Summer, it was more bittersweet than generically happy.

I couldn't take Brick seriously but I think thank was largely down to being knackered. I'll give it another go sometime in the future.

As for 500 days. I would've finished it off with an a split ending. . .in one he'd have asked her out, and in the other screen he wouldn't have turned back and just carried on to his interview. Two different outcomes. . .saying that fate doesn't exist.

And have you seen Frenzy? cracking film and totally underrated. Very gritty film but also full of dark humour. Perhaps it just wasn't as glamorous as his previous films. . .

Inception - 10/10 :eek:

There is however one part (the main part? :nervous:) which I didn't quite understand, maybe because I was so, so, SO, much hurting, thanks to keeping the urine inside me for 2 hours+ (you know the thing where it hurts 100x times more when you're in the cinema, or traveling?), but -

Everyone woke up step by step. They first wake up in that snow thing, then in the lift, then in the car, then in the plane which was IRL. da Vinci woke up directly from an extra level than the rest, to the plane. :confused:

I couldn't really make out what the feck was being spoken between him and Ken Watanabe at the end. Please help.

Inception

It'll be desperately overhyped as people rush to jump on the bandwagon, but was an enjoyable - if slightly predictable and plot-holey - way of spending a couple of hours.

7/10

TV aired the Godfather part 2 a few nights ago. It's been haunting me for quite some time, especially Frank Pentangali's last comment about the Romans killing themselves, as well as Fredo's ultimate death.

Easily the greatest movie of all time. To think Dark Knight fan boys actually went out of the way on IMDB to give the movie 1/10.:lol:

TV aired the Godfather part 2 a few nights ago. It's been haunting me for quite some time, especially Frank Pentangali's last comment about the Romans killing themselves, as well as Fredo's ultimate death.

Easily the greatest movie of all time. To think Dark Knight fan boys actually went out of the way on IMDB to give the movie 1/10.:lol:

I remember hearing talk about a year back about IMDB considering restricting voting privileges to paying members or people who'd been registered for 3+ years.

I couldn't take Brick seriously but I think thank was largely down to being knackered. I'll give it another go sometime in the future.

As for 500 days. I would've finished it off with an a split ending. . .in one he'd have asked her out, and in the other screen he wouldn't have turned back and just carried on to his interview. Two different outcomes. . .saying that fate doesn't exist.

And have you seen Frenzy? cracking film and totally underrated. Very gritty film but also full of dark humour. Perhaps it just wasn't as glamorous as his previous films. . .

Yeah man Hitchcock made the right choice with that film... the tone is set with the cast really. Compare them to Grace Kelly/Cary Grant!

Saw Dersu Uzala last night to.

It's about a friendship between two completely different men, one is a russian explorer from the city and the other is a nomadic forest dweller. Neither have much in common but form a strong bond out of their experiences together in the Siberian forests. In the end it has a simple message about how the advanced society degrades the independence of the average human, and an ironic twist to the fate of Dersu Uzala.

Like most Kurosawa it's technically great, but something about the story didn't drag me in as much as his others had. 7.5/10

Next on the list... Kagemusha!

Yeah man Hitchcock made the right choice with that film... the tone is set with the cast really. Compare them to Grace Kelly/Cary Grant!

Which is why it's underrated. It didn't have a leading lady let along a Grace Kelly and the protagonist didn't exactly have Grant's or Stewart's charm. Nor was the location particularly glamorous.

quite right. Head and shoulders above the original.

I just switched Death At A Funeral (the 2010 remake) off aftervless than 30 minutes. The original wasn't bad but why they felt the need to remake it only a couple of years later with an all US cast is beyond me. Complete rubbish and a 0/10 rating

Inception

It'll be desperately overhyped as people rush to jump on the bandwagon, but was an enjoyable - if slightly predictable and plot-holey - way of spending a couple of hours.

7/10

I thought the plot was brilliant. Every complex element of it was explained at the end.

9/10 for me.

Saw Dersu Uzala last night to.

It's about a friendship between two completely different men, one is a russian explorer from the city and the other is a nomadic forest dweller. Neither have much in common but form a strong bond out of their experiences together in the Siberian forests. In the end it has a simple message about how the advanced society degrades the independence of the average human, and an ironic twist to the fate of Dersu Uzala.

Like most Kurosawa it's technically great, but something about the story didn't drag me in as much as his others had. 7.5/10

Next on the list... Kagemusha!

I went through a Kurosawa phase not long ago as well but 'The Idiot' sort of killed my movie mood entirely.

*ejaculates*

Barely anyone of them seem to work for me though.

Inception

7/10

Go watch Twilight that's more your level.

Inception is 9/10

Watching Battle of Algiers. 10+/10. Brilliant film, and it's amazing how impartial it is, especially as the Algerian gov't funded the project for this film. Was aired in the Pentagon in 2003. Too bad no one showed up to watch it.:lol:

Go watch Twilight that's more your level.

Inception is 9/10

He's right. Also the film was too fast paced for its own good - it went from A to B. . .through X W H Y U I P Q L and Z very very quickly. And even though it was overly convoluted the film didn't exactly need a person with an IQ higher than a salted peanut to understand it. It entertained, though.

7/10 seems about right for a glossed up popcorn flick.

He's right. Also the film was too fast paced for its own good - it went from A to B. . .through X W H Y U I P Q L and Z very very quickly. And even though it was overly convoluted the film didn't exactly need a person with an IQ higher than a salted peanut to understand it. It entertained, though.

7/10 seems about right for a glossed up popcorn flick.

So what movies have you rated 8/10 or 9/10?

So what movies have you rated 8/10 or 9/10?

There are loads, Comms. Loads. I could sit here for hours typing them out.

Okay. . .just a few(i'll mix it up): Godfather 1&2, Ran, In the Mood for Love, Rosemary's Baby, Das Boot, Blade Runner, Alien, Solyaris, Apocalypse Now, Empire Strikes Back, Sunset Blv, Raging Bull. Seriously, I could go on for ages.

I don't think 7/10 is a bad rating in any case. (Actually come to think of it he virtually ripped off Paprika. . .sorry adapted it.)

Inception

I think this film was worth knocking up a review on IMDB for.. so I'll keep this one short. I thought it was brilliant. Technically it is above and beyond most of modern cinema, Nolan has a flair for creative cinematography. With a plot such as Inception you would expect the script to be convoluted and full of plot holes - but it wasn't, it's tightly written and well paced. 8.5/10

I just switched Death At A Funeral (the 2010 remake) off aftervless than 30 minutes. The original wasn't bad but why they felt the need to remake it only a couple of years later with an all US cast is beyond me. Complete rubbish and a 0/10 rating

I got bored and watched thexrest of thexfilm last night. I really wish I hadn't. A piss poorcalmost scene for scene remake of the original. Dire.

It isn't a critique of the first installment but just how brilliant the second one was. De Niro was mesmerizing as the young Brando, Lee Strasberg played one of the most menacing villains of all time and Fredo (Jon Cazale=perfection) was brilliant flawed.

I firmly believe it was the greatest film of all time. That and the Deer Hunter.

aaahhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

*cough*..pardon me.
:lol: nice mockney, nice.

Saw Inception last night and I really enjoyed it. Well acted by all involved, especially DiCaprio and Ken Watanabe and some really good effects it kept me entertained from start to finish.

I haven't seen Inception, I just find his reasons hilarious.

I saw death at a funeral last night....wasn't as good as the British version, and a bit shit but funny in places...but the girl (who is the Girl in Avatar) is possibly the greatest thing ever...I love her.