Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Rain Man 7.5/10 Pretty good movie. I wasn't so sure in the beginning because it seemed like a dreary emotional tearjerker for sentimental women but it turned out to be quite enjoyable. The plot was somewhat entertaining, the dialogue at times was extremely humorous, and Dustin Hoffman was extremely lovable in this.

I would recommend it but I am pretty sure many of you have seen it.

Dogtooth

A pretty messed up movie. I didn't particulary like it or hate it, but if I had to choose then I'd say hate it. It's about a family who lives on the countryside, two parents and their three children. The children who are in their early twenties or so have lived a sheltered life, completely cut off from the outside world and have never left home. They've been raised into beliving lots of odd stuff like they'll die if they ever try to leave the property. They're basically like dogs.

Why do people keep making stuff like Dogtooth? Are they honestly thinking they'll stumble onto something profound? Has Hollywood tentpole-imperialism forced everyone else to resort to extremism in order to get noticed?

I admit this isn't that big a deal since these niche films almost never find a big market. But every once in a while, the collective Voices of Approval become full of themselves and award these films (think 'Crash') in a mind-warping desperate bid to walk the line between merited benevolence and total loss of all credibility. These awards result in a general public that is more open to the idea of viewing said film and more susceptible to the whole 'Well the artsy people liked it so it must have some value.'

Unthinkable- have to digest the moral issues the movie invokes, very hard thematic
Cant really enjoy the movie , but see for you're self

Really? I've only seen the trailer but it seemed fantastically awful. Usually you know how a trailer is supposed to have a lot of the best moments of a film in it so as to entice you to come and watch it? It almost made me walk out of the film I'd gone to watch. I'm not a Brand hater either - it just looked shockingly bad.

I thought it to be a personality comedy, something that Brand and Hill have it to spare, which makes the movie work!

High and Low - I think I need to watch Seven Samurai again but this might be my favorite Kurosawa movie from the 6-7 I have seen. The first hour was especially brilliant and the scene in Junkie alley. Nice to see Mifune in pants for a change. Watching this movie made me appreciate Tatsuya Nakadai's crazy take in Yojimbo even more.

Have you watched Ikiru yet? I need to watch High and Low.

No idea. I dont go to the IFC center that often. Not easy finding people willing to go for those movies and I'm not keen on watching movies alone in theaters. Last I saw there was Mother.

Harvey - Disappointing. I think I only like Jimmy Stewart movies when there is a strong female lead or a very compelling story. This one had neither.

The Hidden Fortress - A fun and enjoyable adventure movie. I read somewhere that it was supposed to be one of Kurosawa's weaker movies but I really enjoyed it.

Watched it today. definitely one of his weaker ones. I'd say it was as good as Sanjuro but the other period movies that I've seen of his are far better.

Spiderman 3 - Finally got around to watching this tonight, after enjoying the first two (or at least as much as you can a superhero movie). It's a tumescent mess of a movie. The action sequences use so much CGI that they just look daft and cartoony. Most of the plot didn't make the slightest bit of sense.

The 'villains' were:

1. A black rubber gimp suit that mysteriously crashed to earth, hopped on the back of his moped and started to merge with his personality. Its weakness seemed to be ringing bells and pipes being hit by other pipes.

2. A bloke who murdered his uncle, fell into a hole, got 'ionized' and became a sandman. It was just that easy. And to be fair, when he reformed as a sandman, he didn't seem in the least bit surprised. Unflappable. He seemed to be able to make himself the size of a skyscraper, and in the end, Spiderman could only defeat him by means of the super power of forgiveness. He really, really loved his daughter. I knew that because they kept cutting to him holding a locket with her picture in it.

3. A photographer who Peter embarassed, and who then swore revenge on Peter Parker in a church. At the precise same time Spidey was up in the bell tower trying to shed the black, rubbery, gimpy evil. The photographer merged with the suit and became some sort of rubber wolf-cat, as far as I can tell. He could do everything Spiderman could. He still wasn't able to deal with bells or steel pipes being smashed. Or being blown up.

4. Green Goblin II/Harry. He was just a weird little cock who kept jumping on his flying skateboard to get revenge on SpiderParker for killing his father. Eventually after Spiderman blew up his face he got chatting to his all-knowing butler who told him that Spidey hadn't done anything wrong in the first place, so they became best mates again. Like his Da, he got impaled on a flying skateboard that had missiles and flame-throwers attached. It was supposed to be poetic justice, or irony or summat. He and Peter seemed pretty bent for each other too. 'A Web Of Faggotry' should have been the blurb.

Summary: feck off, Sam Raimi. feck right off, you utter spacunt. I hope your children grow up to be accountants.

3/10

And now they're rebooting the whole franchise over again, and doing another fecking origin story. Stop being sillyfecks Hollywood.

And now they're rebooting the whole franchise over again, and doing another fecking origin story. Stop being sillyfecks Hollywood.

I reckon that's a lot to do with the way the Batman films have gone esp. the last Joker one. It's making the makers of other super-hero re-assess their approach.

They had to reboot after the abomination that was Spider-Man 3. I actually went down to the cinema for the first showing as I am a fan of the comics and enjoy most super-hero films loved the second Spidey film. Needless to say I was aghast at the cinematic travesty I witnessed that day. Awful film.

Raimi was apparently forced by the studio to include Venom (the black, rubbery, evil gimp of whom as a character he was not too fond of) but decided to cram it all into his existing film about Sandman. None of that explains his decision to a) hire his brother (a doctor) and an octagenarian to write the godawful screenplay with him (which contains some of the worst dialog in history), b) retread the exact same scenario from the first two films for the finale c) include that jazz dancing scene, and d) turn Harry into a sky-boarding swordsman with a convinient case of amnesia.

I don't hold out much hope that the reboot will be very good either. I'd say 3/10 is bang on.

Edit: I just remembered this video which just about sums it all up:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

A series of strange dreams that centre around a group of upper class friends whos attempts to have a dinner together are continuously interrupted. As with other Bunuel movies, it seems to revel in delight at toying with the wealthy and aristocratic society; from poking fun at them to the downright sadistic. A lot is open to interpretation, but really it's a film to enjoy for it's pure abstract artform.
7.5/10

That Obscure Object of Desire

The movie starts in medias res as a man hops on a train and pours a bucket of water over an ensuing lady. After the fellow passenger witness this act and enquire about an explanation the film revolves around his tale of how he first met this woman and how he reached this point. It's a tale of a man who falls for a woman who can never commit sexually to him. By the end of the film none of the characters seem to learn any lessons - That seems to be another theme in Bunuels movies, the characters do not learn and end up suffering the same fate.
8/10

39 Steps

A fun little thriller from Hitchcock. The trademark mixture of comedy, suspense and mystery is prevalent. I would rank it amongst his more weaker movies but that's not exactly a criticism.
7/10

Foreign Correspondent

Another mystery/suspense thriller from my favourite director. Fun, snappy dialogue with a few plot twists thrown into the mix. It has all the classic ingredients of a great Hitchcock film.
8/10

Watched Shutter Island last night. What a predictable load of dull boring shite. 2/5

Sex and the City 2

Crap, unbelievably crap, particularly the pre-Adu Dhabi shite. It did pick up in the second half but only because I spent it trying to figure out what stage SJP's boobs were at.

2/10

A very long engagement

Elements of magic from Amelie, horrors of WWI, trench-cams, romance, quests, mystery solving, sex scenes with Jodi Foster, good visuals, irrational situations/actions made to seem perfectly logical all knitted together very nicely.

8/10

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Many of the scenes feel incomplete and disconnected. Then something pops up and you have no idea how it got to that point. The dialogue is cheesy. The action is meh. The story is meh. Gemma Arterton is yeah. Not really worth the time to watch it.

Sex and the City 2

Crap, unbelievably crap, particularly the pre-Adu Dhabi shite. It did pick up in the second half but only because I spent it trying to figure out what stage SJP's boobs were at.

2/10

Whatever enticed you to watch that?

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

A series of strange dreams that centre around a group of upper class friends whos attempts to have a dinner together are continuously interrupted. As with other Bunuel movies, it seems to revel in delight at toying with the wealthy and aristocratic society; from poking fun at them to the downright sadistic. A lot is open to interpretation, but really it's a film to enjoy for it's pure abstract artform.
7.5/10]

I loved this one when I saw it some years ago.

Cost me £17.99, Mc. If it disappoints, I'll hold you accountable.

And I'd still like your aunt to design my house extension. . .

I loved 'A Prophet'. Definitely worth buying.

I've just watched 'Valhalla Rising' from the same Danish guy who directed the Pusher trilogy. Don't really know what to make of it. Slow paced, barely comprehensible and generally weird. There is a lot of symbolism in the film regarding religion, humanity etc. but.. meh, It was just to dragged out and slow for my liking. There's basically no dialogue at all. Nice photography and some quite brutal violence if that's your thing

Suspicion

Not to impressed with this... the suspense builds nicely but really I was hoping for a bit more. Was a bit slow and dull of the most part... Probably my least favourite Hitchcock.

6.5/10

Suspicion

Not to impressed with this... the suspense builds nicely but really I was hoping for a bit more. Was a bit slow and dull of the most part... Probably my least favourite Hitchcock.

6.5/10

I like that film, but to be honest for me Hitchcock plus Grant is always a winning combination. Have you seen Torn Curtain yet? That's my least favourite Hitchcock film (although I've not seen them all yet).

I like that film, but to be honest for me Hitchcock plus Grant is always a winning combination. Have you seen Torn Curtain yet? That's my least favourite Hitchcock film (although I've not seen them all yet).

I like Grant, North by Northwest is my favourite Hitchcock and I love some of his screwball comedy stuff he has been in, but I think the issue with Suspicion is that it's a suspense thriller which doesn't seem to have much suspense. It meanders along for about 90minutes without really building much tension... It's not until the last 30minutes or so that Grant get's a bit of an edge to him and the suspense starts to mount.

So far my Hitchcock list is like this:

Seen:
The Birds (1963)
Psycho (1960)
North by Northwest (1959)
Vertigo (1958)
Rear Window (1954)
Dial M for Murder (1954)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
Rope (1948)
Notorious (1946)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Suspicion (1941)
Foreign Correspondent (1940)
Rebecca (1940)
The Lady Vanishes (1938)
The 39 Steps (1935)

Want to see:
Frenzy (1972)
The Wrong Man (1956)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
To Catch a Thief (1955)
Spellbound (1945)
Lifeboat (1944)

I think that will cover most of his stuff but I may venture into more. He is such a beast!

You've not seen To Catch A Thief yet? It's one of my favourites - North By Northwest is also my absolute favourite film, so I'm imagining you'll enjoy it.

Cary Grant :drool:

Actually I'd say that's one of Grant's lesser movies. I think his comedies are way superior to the stuff he did with Hitchcock. Except Charade, which is awesome beacuse Audrey Hepburn is stunning. And I mean I've never seen anyone look prettier ever.

I finally got around to watching The Twilight Samurai which was excellent. Not your typical chambara film, although the two fight scenes were well done, it's a really humane character piece set in an interesting time in Japanese history. Now to rent the Hidden Blade.