Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Once were Warriors

Set in Auckland, this film follows the lifes of a family with an abusive and violent father, and it's really not for the faint hearted. Temuera Morrison (The guy who played the clone army in star wars) plays the almost psychotic father, whilst Rena Owen is the strong-willed Mother who is struggling to hold the family together. The rest of the cast do an OK job, but the strength lies in a tragic script that examines the consequences of domestic violence and abuse.

8/10

A really brilliant raw film. I'd rate it even more highly. You feel like you have been run over by road roller at the end.

The sequel, while not as good as the original, is still worth a watch.

A really brilliant raw film. I'd rate it even more highly. You feel like you have been run over by road roller at the end.

I can't think of a character I've despised as much as the Father in that film. He didn't have a single redeeming quality, even when he wasn't piss drunk he was still a cnut. Great performance though.

Which one of these should I watch on blu ray today? Blade Runner, Red Cliff(ext version) or Inglorious Basterds?

choices.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - 8/10 What a collection of great acting performances. Newman, the guy who plays his dad, Liz Taylor are all brilliant. Liz Taylor also happens to be looking stunning in this movie.

The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus

:confused: Being a Terry Gilliam movie I wasn't expecting much in the way of a coherent story but at least start with a plot. Jesus. This was 2 hours of utter self indulgent wankery. And not in a good way. Only the mirror/animation bits were remotely interesting. Avoid, unless you're a masochist or have just eaten a bunch of hash cakes.

:confused: Being a Terry Gilliam movie I wasn't expecting much in the way of a coherent story but at least start with a plot. Jesus. This was 2 hours of utter self indulgent wankery. And not in a good way. Only the mirror/animation bits were remotely interesting. Avoid, unless you're a masochist or have just eaten a bunch of hash cakes.

I remember an interview with John Cleese in which he mentions that Gilliam got way out of hand about a third of the way into production on Holy Grail. The rest of the cast and crew finished the film by nodding their heads and going "Whatever you say, Terry," then proceeding to ignore his direction and just getting the shots in whatever way they'd worked out amongst themselves.

Crimes and Misdeamenours

All round brilliant. 8.5/10

Kick-Ass

Entertaining superhero flick. Although I do wonder why they went to such great lengths at the start of the film to depict the vigilante protagonist in such a realistic manner if they were going to introduce such an unbelievable character in Hit Girl... Nevertheless I enjoyed it. Although it did continue to prove that Nicolas Cage is a completely wank actor, he had another Wickerman moment at the end of this film... truly embarassing.

7/10

I remember an interview with John Cleese in which he mentions that Gilliam got way out of hand about a third of the way into production on Holy Grail. The rest of the cast and crew finished the film by nodding their heads and going "Whatever you say, Terry," then proceeding to ignore his direction and just getting the shots in whatever way they'd worked out amongst themselves.

:lol: is that really true? Strange, because 12 Monkeys and Las Vegas, allthough being weird in their own way, were still pretty much straight-forward movies. Makes me wanna watch Imaginarium now, the trailer looked quite interesting.

Crazy Heart

A beautifully understated movie for the most part which even the odd plot cliche couldn't ruin. Great performances all round and even a surprise cameo that I wasn't expecting. Almost made me a fan of Country & Western. Reccommended.

Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day. What a load of fecking shit. The first one was enjoyable. This one is dreadful in every way imaginable. The acting is poor, the dialogue is poor, even the action's not that great. Don't waste your time.

Radio Days

What a great piece of nostalgia by Woody Allen! Centres around a Jewish family and the role radio plays in the everyday lifes of people. Obviously I wasn't around during that time, but I still found it an endearing reflection of what it must of been like back then. Credit has to go to the production which provides an utterly convincing 1940s setting, and a top a cast to. Was funny to see Seth Green in his early days, always liked him.

8/10

Once were Warriors

Set in Auckland, this film follows the lifes of a family with an abusive and violent father, and it's really not for the faint hearted. Temuera Morrison (The guy who played the clone army in star wars) plays the almost psychotic father, whilst Rena Owen is the strong-willed Mother who is struggling to hold the family together. The rest of the cast do an OK job, but the strength lies in a tragic script that examines the consequences of domestic violence and abuse.

8/10

brilliant movie. saw it some time ago.

hate to admit it...in the end when he kills his 'friend' for raping his daughter.

loved it.. ;)

got the 5 disc collectors edition in the silver case.

they had the gold box deal in Amazon so it was steal.

Sean Young is amazing to look at in it.

and the scene at the end when the nexus saves Ford. Just beautiful.

Indeed. Must say the film still looks amazing - I suppose the vehicles are outdated but other than those and a couple of old TV monitors it hasn't aged. I love the dark atmosphere and noir style. . complete with an excellent score. You get the feeling the Scott went to town with Blade Runner - not that I know how much it cost to make. For me, it's his best movie. Cinematically it has to be a masterpiece. . .it's such a beautifully made film.

a comment on blue ray dvd players.

A high end regular DVD player does the same job as a Blue-Ray.

so you dont need to invest in Blue-ray disc

How's that then? Not that I'm fussed. . .but I've heard blu ray's 4 or 5 times better in quality than standard DVD. And yeah it's visibly better. . .but you do need a good HD screen and surround sound to get the full effect.

How's that then? Not that I'm fussed. . .but I've heard blu ray's 4 or 5 times better in quality than standard DVD. And yeah it's visibly better. . .but you do need a good HD screen and surround sound to get the full effect.

I talked to a dealer from whom I buy region free DVD players. They are just great to work with. Anyway that is what he told me and I invested in a hi end pioneer and it is true. At least I have to trust my own eyes, Play the same disc on a lower end player and the Pioneer I bought and you can see the difference.

I also have a review a buddy of mine did.

Here is his post.

Blue Rays are a waste of money in my opinion.

They were hailed as the next big thing, not because of the picture and sound quality, but about the storage capability. Some comparisons at the time that were given were putting all 16 seasons of the Simpsons on one disc. Sure it might cost $100 or so, but to get rid of all the box sets for a single disc was well worth the price.

Have they done that to this day? Nope. They use up 5-9 gigs on a 25 gig disc. And they charge you more. Waste. Period.

Most Blue Rays can fit on a dual layer dvd, some of them on a regular dvd. You can download concerts off of Dime and other places and put them on regular dvds.

The only thing that differentiates Blue Rays from dvds are the file structure on the disc, which enhances sound and picture. Don't need a Blue Ray for that.

Better sound? Cool. Better picture? Cool. Wasted technology? Shite.

I heard they have BD100s' now. More tech wasted if they aren't going to use them to their full potential.

I just bought the loneliness of the long distance runner on bluray, I've never seen it, nor ever heard about it. Is it good?

i meant blue ray discs compared to normal dvds.

also I could not at the time find a region free blue ray player, which presumably I would need to play all my PAL and other region free discs I have collected. I trade concerts and such you see.

I am getting bored with the other DVD player I have, so I may just hook up a Blue ray player to see if there is a significant difference....if I am bothered.

Someone should do a review of the "The Redcafe Movie Review Thread" as the 10k post. Like a meta-thing. Presumably the top poster.

Indeed. Must say the film still looks amazing - I suppose the vehicles are outdated but other than those and a couple of old TV monitors it hasn't aged. I love the dark atmosphere and noir style. . complete with an excellent score. You get the feeling the Scott went to town with Blade Runner - not that I know how much it cost to make. For me, it's his best movie. Cinematically it has to be a masterpiece. . .it's such a beautifully made film.

Check out Ford's Witness if you have not already. not a huge budget film by any shout. But the photography, the chemistry between Ford and McGillis and for me the absolutely beautiful score stays with you.

It was utter cack. We have tried to watch it twice and had to turn it off both times. Style over substance

It was utter cack. We have tried to watch it twice and had to turn it off both times. Style over substance

Agreed completely. It's not often I turn off a film (mainly because I like shit films) but I just couldn't bother with this one.

Green Zone
It's definitely not as great as some have suggested, just and ok movie that doesn't stand out but at the same time I don't regret the time I wasted watching it.
6/10

The Room
Tommy Wiseau is the man and this movie is the funniest thing ever to come out of the United States. How one movie can be so horrible bad is unbelievable but it makes this movie what it is.
10/10