Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Someone should do a review of the "The Redcafe Movie Review Thread" as the 10k post. Like a meta-thing. Presumably the top poster.

Great idea. Except is it me or did Doogie just waste 10k on one of the dumbest/most universally hated/biggest wastes of money ever committed to film.

Watched Sherlock Holmes last night, was a really cracking film. Douwney played the part perfectly as the unrefined common genius. 8/10. Some bits were stupid but all in a cracking rip roaring yarn.

Control:

The story of the life of Ian Curtis, Joy Divison Frontman.

A brilliantly well told story with some great performances mainly from Samatha Morton and Sam Riley as deborah and Ian Curtis. Have to say I thought Curtis Himself was portrayed as a very weak minded person(have no idea whether this is true to life) but an incredible poet all the same and the director does an excellent job of capturing a bleak late 70's Macclesfield in black and white.
Great Film.

8/10.

Kick-Ass

Entertaining superhero flick. Although I do wonder why they went to such great lengths at the start of the film to depict the vigilante protagonist in such a realistic manner if they were going to introduce such an unbelievable character in Hit Girl... Nevertheless I enjoyed it. Although it did continue to prove that Nicolas Cage is a completely wank actor, he had another Wickerman moment at the end of this film... truly embarassing.

7/10

:nono:

Couldn't agree with that comment one bit, this is one of Cage's finest performances by a long stretch! He hit the nail on the head with the role giving a great performance as Big Daddy. The way he portrayed Big Daddy in costume was great, purposely basing the character on Adam West's Batman, hence the way he spoke. Plus the moment near the end was an amazing scene, maybe a little dramatized, but the whole build up with 'Adagio in D Minor' playing over it was a the best part of the film!

:nono:

Couldn't agree with that comment one bit, this is one of Cage's finest performances by a long stretch! He hit the nail on the head with the role giving a great performance as Big Daddy. The way he portrayed Big Daddy in costume was great, purposely basing the character on Adam West's Batman, hence the way he spoke. Plus the moment near the end was an amazing scene, maybe a little dramatized, but the whole build up with 'Adagio in D Minor' playing over it was a the best part of the film!

As Big Daddy I didn't think he had to do much... I'm not a hater really.. I loved him in Adaptation and Leaving Las Vegas. But here I just found him to be 'meh'.. then the scene where he died.. that feckin' screeching out commands and his final words... Didn't buy any of it.

That been said Big Daddy had some wicked moments in the film... I just attribute most of it to great directing.

Love and Death

Woody Allen channels the Marx Brothers with a punchline packed script about a cowardly russian who plots with his girlfriend to assassinate Napolean. Thought it was hilarious, and liked the Ingmar Bergmann homages. 7.5/10

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
This is a real thriller. It's violent, disturbing and unforgiving. Vengeance is an endless cycle and is ultimately the downfall of every character. I think I prefered Oldboy, but this one isn't far behind and I can't wait to see Sympathy for Mrs Vengeance 8/10

Lilya 4-Ever
A very tragic story of a 16 year old Estonian girl who is abandoned by her mother. She lives by herself and eventually turns to prostitution to make ends meet, her only friend is a young homeless boy. It's more than a movie about human trafficking though, it packs a real punch and poses the question of 'Is it worth living through all the tragedy or is it better to die?' 8.5/10

As Big Daddy I didn't think he had to do much... I'm not a hater really.. I loved him in Adaptation and Leaving Las Vegas. But here I just found him to be 'meh'
.. then the scene where he died.. that feckin' screeching out commands and his final words... Didn't buy any of it.

That been said Big Daddy had some wicked moments in the film... I just attribute most of it to great directing.

Spoiler tags would not go amiss here.

Depressing film indeed, but it's fantastically made. Loved that and Together, A Hole in My Heart... not so much.

I talked to a dealer from whom I buy region free DVD players. They are just great to work with. Anyway that is what he told me and I invested in a hi end pioneer and it is true. At least I have to trust my own eyes, Play the same disc on a lower end player and the Pioneer I bought and you can see the difference.

I also have a review a buddy of mine did.

Here is his post.

Blue Rays are a waste of money in my opinion.

They were hailed as the next big thing, not because of the picture and sound quality, but about the storage capability. Some comparisons at the time that were given were putting all 16 seasons of the Simpsons on one disc. Sure it might cost $100 or so, but to get rid of all the box sets for a single disc was well worth the price.

Have they done that to this day? Nope. They use up 5-9 gigs on a 25 gig disc. And they charge you more. Waste. Period.

Most Blue Rays can fit on a dual layer dvd, some of them on a regular dvd. You can download concerts off of Dime and other places and put them on regular dvds.

The only thing that differentiates Blue Rays from dvds are the file structure on the disc, which enhances sound and picture. Don't need a Blue Ray for that.

Better sound? Cool. Better picture? Cool. Wasted technology? Shite.

I heard they have BD100s' now. More tech wasted if they aren't going to use them to their full potential.

Someone saw you coming mate! :lol:

The Descent: Part 2

I suppose it's important to remember this isn't a 'sequel' as such, but an extension of the first film- in the sense that it picks up right where the first film left off, and could easily be one 3 hour long movie as opposed to two 1:30 minute films.

That said- what an epic disappointment. The first film, I thought, was good. And as this film has the advantage of simply carrying on from the first, with no stupid additions like super-crawlers or something, this one should have at least been half decent. Well it wasn't. Actually, that's a bit unfair- parts of it were, but for the most part it was just plain senseless.

The whole plot itself will annoy you- almost as much as the Sheriff. What on earth possessed them to put his character in the film? If you simply removed him completely, it would be a much better watch. Unfortunately, his ridiculous character merely ended up perfectly personifying of the stupidity of the film.

The movie possibly could have saved itself near the finale, as it was gearing up to be quite a good ending. And whilst I appreciate what they were going for with the ending, it was still a huge let down and just summed up the previous hour and a half of annoying plot.

All in all, a poor film, saved somewhat by the echoes and carry overs of Part One. If you enjoyed Part One and are looking forward to watching more of the same- I would just watch the Descent 1 again.

5/10.

Really? Thought it was silly, over-acted and generally gratuitous for no good reason. I did enjoy it, but in a very trashy way, more like a 6/10 imo

The gruesome nature of it really had me that said I was on a different planet when I watched it

1. Edge of Darkness
2. Cop Out
3. The Crazies
4. Our family wedding
5. Repo Men
6. She's Out of My League
7. Hot Tub Time Machine

This movies I'm expecting to watch in a very near future.... I think they will be fantastic

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

What the hell just happened? This was shite.

2/10

The Hurt Locker

Looked and sounded fantastic, but really nowhere near as good as I was expecting. Just not enough excitement some scenes dragged on and didn’t catch my attention so became quite bored.

6/10

meh what a disappointing trip to xravision that was

Yeah the hurt locker was overrated, decent film but not that great.

Doubt - Excellent performance by Seymour Hoffman. It does well to meander around grey areas so the audience never roots for a particular side...guess that's a facet of doubt. Good but underwhelming ending. Gets my recommendation.

Little Children

About: Dysfunctional people, like pedos and such.

What I thought: Could've been better without a couple of scenes and if they explored Jackie Earle Haleys character a bit more. Nothing else worth a mention, I liked parts of it. 6,5/10

I just forgot, the beginning and the voiceover worked like a charm, I'm upping it to 7,5/10.

Kick Ass Really over the top, awesome, stupid fun. 8/10

GI Joe Really over the top, stupid, badly done garbage 4/10

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

What the hell just happened? This was shite.

2/10

The Hurt Locker

Looked and sounded fantastic, but really nowhere near as good as I was expecting. Just not enough excitement some scenes dragged on and didn’t catch my attention so became quite bored.

6/10

I have seen some bad/disappointing movies this weekend - Continued -

2012 - all 3 marks are for the special FX. The film and in particular the acting were dire. Why can’t someone make a good disaster movie?

3/10

Law Abiding Citizen - not bad. Lots of clichés. OK popcorn movie - 6/10

Best movie I have seen this weekend was Up. The pixar movie. Really beautifully done and touching story

8/10