Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Eraserhead

It's all nice and simple, not too much not too little, I even got a little compassionate towards the little guy there. I can describe the film as a caricatured surreal situation, but you sort of know what it's about anyway, unlike Lost Highway, which is more a comment on itself. Some good shots here and there, I think some of the shots fell too in love with themselves, which kind of messed up some parts. It's kind of hard to say something else about it.

Well, that's not true if I suddenly remembered something. I read somewhere that the most used word in Lynch's films was "dream", that sort of explains how the pictorial part of the film is.

☺/10

Mesrine parts 1 & 2:

2 part movie about the life of the french master criminal Jacques Mesrine. Two awesome movies featuring a masterful central perfomance from Vincent Cassel in the lead role.

The first part charts his early years from being a soldier in the French Algerian war to his entry into the criminal world and his early rise through it on the streets of France. It also includes his move to canada and crime spree over there.

The second part deal deals with his growing criminality and arrogance, his growing love of simply being a criminal and his ultimate end.

Mesrine part 1 Death Instinct: 8/10
Mesrine part 2 Public Enemy No1: 9/10

Two excellent movies with a mesmeric central peformance at the heart of both.

I'd find it pretty difficult to argue against Cassel being one of the best, if not the best actor on the planet atm.

Try Mullholland Drive, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet and Wild at Heat. Oh and check out Polanski's Apartment trilogy and all (Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant and Repulsion).

Not speaking of which, I saw that Salo 120 etc. has been released on blu-ray, that's one film I'm not dying to see again especially not in HD.

But, anyone out there who can recommend something else of Pasolinis work?

Not speaking of which, I saw that Salo 120 etc. has been released on blu-ray, that's one film I'm not dying to see again especially not in HD.

fecking Salo.

Try Mullholland Drive, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet and Wild at Heat. Oh and check out Polanski's Apartment trilogy and all (Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant and Repulsion).

Cheers, I'm currently downloading Blue Velvet.

fecking Salo.

I think I turned it off around the time when one of the girls started eating shit and one of the old blokes started making out with lots of young guys.

Finally saw Avatar. Visually stunning, story and acting not so great. Enjoyed it though.

There is a new very sick and disturbing movie from Serbia, called "Srpski Film", just showing at the South by Southwest festival. A mixture between Hostel and Old Boy. I haven't watched nor do I intend to do.

Slither

7/10 Not quite as funny as I thought it was going to be, but still an enjoyable horror/comedy. Feckin' gross though.

Lock stock and two smoking barrels

10/10

So i finally got around to seeing this (i live a sheltered life obviously :P) and one of the few movies to live up to the hype. Everything about it was 10/10.

A question... does the scouser have a perm because thats what scousers do? or do scousers wear that perm wig because of that guy in this movie. (im from Australia so my only knowledge on the subject is what i read on the interwebz, but my knowledge allowed me to point out he was a scouser before he opened his mouth)

The permed Scouser thing started in a series of sketches by a bloke called Harry Enfield. It was inspired, presumably, by the number of Liverpool players who were permed and moustachioed at the time (Souness, McDermott etc.).

You can find them on youtube

The permed Scouser thing started in a series of sketches by a bloke called Harry Enfield. It was inspired, presumably, by the number of Liverpool playerswhom were permed and moustachiod at the time (Souness, McDermott etc.).

You can find them on youtube

Nice, thanks.

The "I just payed 120 quid for this perm so if you think im putting on a stocking... you're mistaken" line was hilarious

fecking Salo.

I think I turned it off around the time when one of the girls started eating shit and one of the old blokes started making out with lots of young guys.

I did film studies A level in an all boys school and one day our quite hot teacher decided to put this film on. Looking back it's quite funny but the sheer agony of embarrassment and repulsion at the time put a group of 16 year olds back to the beginning of puberty that day.

Watch that video. I think he's a major pretender with little or no talent. Have you seen any of his other dross? It's schoolboy stuff and I mean private school boy stuff dreaming of being a working class hero.

His other stuff ranges from barely ordinary to utter shit.

LSA2SB and Snatch are great fun though.

His other stuff ranges from barely ordinary to utter shit.

LSA2SB and Snatch are great fun though.

I'd agree. He's a pretend gangsta, and he has a slightly odd, and no doubt unrealistic view of what life as a criminal would be like, but it's a silly, easy watch.

Neither would be in my top 100 movies (or anywhere close) but I enjoyed them.

Watch that video. I think he's a major pretender with little or no talent. Have you seen any of his other dross? It's schoolboy stuff and I mean private school boy stuff dreaming of being a working class hero.
He's shit. Lock Stock is up there with Shawshank as one of the great overrated movies of all time.

Yeah, that's a bit unfair Shawshank is a just a mediocre movie overhyped. Caught up with Un Prophete the other day, now that is a good movie.

He's shit. Lock Stock is up there with Shawshank as one of the great overrated movies of all time.

I suppose it depends how you rate them. I enjoyed LSA2SBs when I watched it. Fun if a bit silly and I have never had the urge to watch it again. Snatch is better fun IMO. Shawshank was watchable with 2 very likeable leads but nowhere near the best film ever silliness that sometimes surrounds it.

Everyone knows that Godfather 2 is the best film ever made.

The Hurt Locker. Was a very good film. Some excellent scenes and good direction.

However the mix of realism and hollywood cliche began to bug me a bit. I know nothing of combat in Iraq but the bomb technician became less and less believable as the film went on. He started off as almost like an unconventional working, John Mcclain type going it alone, then turned into Charles Bronson as he tries to track down the beckham kid. Surely this guy wouldn't last 2 minutes in any army in the world?

Much better were the seemingly more realistic scenes such as the sniper shootout or the opening scene.

A better film than Avatar for sure but I would hope to see a better film when I revisit some of last years other releases.

Chinatown:

Private eye played by Jack Nicholson is hired to investigate a secretive coporate figure by his wife*. He then gets drawn into a world of shadowy dealings and deception.

Good movie with Nicholson giving a good solid perfomance as a Private eye. Good plot too and an ending that leaves you quite supprised and a little shocked.

8/10

The Hurt Locker. Was a very good film. Some excellent scenes and good direction.

However the mix of realism and hollywood cliche began to bug me a bit. I know nothing of combat in Iraq but the bomb technician became less and less believable as the film went on. He started off as almost like an unconventional working, John Mcclain type going it alone, then turned into Charles Bronson as he tries to track down the beckham kid. Surely this guy wouldn't last 2 minutes in any army in the world?

Much better were the seemingly more realistic scenes such as the sniper shootout or the opening scene.

A better film than Avatar for sure but I would hope to see a better film when I revisit some of last years other releases.

:confused: The sniper shootout was anything but realistic.

I love you Philip Morris

I really rated this film, no doubt some will be a bit put off with the whole gay issue, and to be honest it is pretty graphic on occasions. But I just thought it was a great story portrayed brilliantly by Carey and McGregor. When I went to see it last night a few blokes got up an left during it, pretty much as soon as they realised how gay it actually was which I found pretty funny - not so much those people in particular but the people up and down the country who might just see Jim carey in a new film and go to see it only to be confronted with Jim Carey rear ending some other bloke!

A film that will no doubt divide opinion but one i'd recommend seeing.

Tell us why Sgt. Doogie...?

I'll admit I can't remember it perfectly but those are my complaints (in spoiler for those who haven't seen the scene)
1. The Iraqi had no problems hitting the British within few seconds of each other, however when they Americans took up the gun it was in the exact same place and still they had plenty of time
2. The chances of the Iraqi sniper hitting the British guys in first shot each are vague unless he's extremely well trained. If he is, he should've hit the Americans as well with in few seconds, at least shoot at them.
3. EOD's may be trained to use sniper riffles but it's usually very basic training and it needs to be maintained in order to be effective sniper.
4. It takes a lot of patience to be hood with a sniper riffle and you have to take into account wind etc. Didn't look like that in the scene.
5. The American guy was some way off when shooting at a stand still Iraqi but when said Iraqi started running it was a perfect shot.
6. They didn't use any hearing protection, goodbye hearing!

That said, this was the only building there it seemed so why didn't they look that way when the first guy was shot. How long did the Iraqi stay on the bridge before he was shot by the nervous American? Why were the British travelling alone in the middle of nowhere?
Hope this makes any sense to why I say this scene was unrealistic

I just saw 500 Days of Summer. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

The movie itself is very interesting and enjoyable. It's also the story of my life so maybe I can relate well with it...

:confused: The sniper shootout was anything but realistic.

I really meant in human beahaviour terms. The waiting, the tension, the actual sense of death and danger. I'm pretty sure that the film is strewn with operational errors.

Mesrine parts 1 & 2:

Two excellent movies with a mesmeric central peformance at the heart of both.

I had never heard of these and after reading your post I decided to watch the first part, didn't know what to expect but was engrossed from the beginning and thought it was a great film. Looking forward to watching the 2nd part.

Didn't know they were based on a true character which I think tends to make films better when you know the things actually happened, even if embellished slightly.