Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Spoony's back. How are you?

When In Rome. As it was V-Day yesterday, the missus and I went to see this. There are 2 interesting things about this movie. 1) Kristen Bell in very tight running clothes. Very nice to look at. 2)Ghostface Killah from the Wu Tang Clan was in it for about 5 seconds. That's about all I took from this movie.

Kristen Bell is absolutely smoking, didnt even know who she was until I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Spoony's back. How are you?

When In Rome. As it was V-Day yesterday, the missus and I went to see this. There are 2 interesting things about this movie. 1) Kristen Bell in very tight running clothes. Very nice to look at. 2)Ghostface Killah from the Wu Tang Clan was in it for about 5 seconds. That's about all I took from this movie.

Not bad, Ole. How's tricks then?

And can you get naked pics of Kristen Bell?

I didn't hate it but it was pretty pointless and pretentious.

Thought it was pretty feckin' good actually.

Unconventional characters by most romance standards and I liked the bittersweet ending compared to most mushy shit the genre usually has.

Stepfather-2/10 fecking total shit

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell-Meh 5-6/10 Not that good of a movie but fairly entertaining. The thing is when I read the book I thought Tucker Max came across as someone who wasnt a bitch, the guy they had play him is Eric Murphy with highlights.

Hey lads. I was wondering if anyone could tell me some good British comedy films. I posted this on the newbie forum and I only got two replies. British movies, in the sense that they have the typical British accent, with British cast (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are my favorite). I have seen a few of their movies like Run Fatboy Run, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz etc. But it does not have to be only their movies. I want comedy mainly though.

Hey lads. I was wondering if anyone could tell me some good British comedy films. I posted this on the newbie forum and I only got two replies. British movies, in the sense that they have the typical British accent, with British cast (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are my favorite). I have seen a few of their movies like Run Fatboy Run, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz etc. But it does not have to be only their movies. I want comedy mainly though.

In The Loop, In Bruges, Withnail and I.

Well in case you haven't seen them, the Monty Python films would be the obvious ones, my favourite is Meaning of Life but most people prefer Holy Grail or Life of Brian.

One movie I can't recommend highly enough is 24 Hour Party people. It's an autobiographical film about a fella called Tony Wilson who was the promoter behind the Manchester music scene of the 1980s. It's up there with the funniest films I've ever seen in my life and Steve Coogan is absolute genius in it. If you like the music from that particular scene then it should be at the top of your list and even if you don't- and I think it was a bit hit and miss- it's still a superb film just for Coogan's comic delivery.

Anyone know anything about Solomon Kane? I'm desperate to go to the movies and this seems like the only half watchable thing there.

In The Loop, In Bruges, Withnail and I.

I'd agree with both In The Loop & and In Bruges - both brilliant films.

Crazy Heart It looks good, it has a decent plot and the acting is top notch or therabouts. Bridges will probably win an Oscar for this, and he is very good, but it still ends up feeling like you have seen it all before. Redemption by the numbers. Well worth a watch but ... 8/10

I assume you mean Southern?

I'd suggest you want this..

TrueTV.Side.Spaced.jpg

what about some old fashioned British comedy made from the famous Ealing studios ?

here is a link, hope you find something you like.

Amazon.co.uk: ealing comedies - DVD & Blu-ray

Shutter Island - Where do I start? If I had been taking notes during the movie I could have filled pages with stuff that bugged me and others that were just plain bad. By far, the worst Scorsese movie I have seen. The movie was full of cheesy dialogues and Mark Ruffalo was rather poor. After about 90 minutes the plot had worked it's way in to position from where it was hard to imagine how we would get any kind of climax. And then it took the easiest way out. The reviews and ratings have been very generous to this movie. Can't believe it has an 8.5 on imdb right now. What kind of jackasses vote on that site? I'd give it a 6.

Shutter Island - Where do I start? If I had been taking notes during the movie I could have filled pages with stuff that bugged me and others that were just plain bad. By far, the worst Scorsese movie I have seen. The movie was full of cheesy dialogues and Mark Ruffalo was rather poor. After about 90 minutes the plot had worked it's way in to position from where it was hard to imagine how we would get any kind of climax. And then it took the easiest way out. The reviews and ratings have been very generous to this movie. Can't believe it has an 8.5 on imdb right now. What kind of jackasses vote on that site? I'd give it a 6.

that's such a shame - it's one film i have been looking forward to .
it looked marvellous on the clip i saw on apple

Hollywood needs to stop with the twist endings. They only work when they challenge convention/prejudice a-la Sixth Sense or A Time To Kill. Not when you leave shit out in an attempt to be all rabbit-out-of-a-hat at the end of the show. Just tell a story straight through, put the twists in the middle, AKA where they're usually found in a good story.

My parents just came back from Shutter Island claiming to be slightly damaged. I have no idea what this film's about but I'm assuming it's either scary or trippy?

Aren't Aussies a bit more touchy than the rest of the world? ;)

I just saw Withnail and I and In The Loop. Really enjoyed both films.

It Might Get Loud. If you're not a guitar enthusiast, you may only appreciate this to a certain point. It's an interestingly made documentary. The parts with Jack White I found particularly interesting. I don't think it features enough of the three of them together though. That's what I remember this being hyped about. Three guitar greats coming together to rock out and talk music. The rocking out only happens in 20 second clips, and there's not much talking about their music and inspirations with each other. Most of that is covered by segments with each guitarist on their own. It's not a bad movie, but I was just expecting more out of it.

I thought it was a very good movie tbf

What was good about it?

I think the movie gave a nice insight into the mind of the mentally disabled, unable to distinguish reality from fantasy. I thought this occurred several times throughout the movie. There is a sense of foreboding that grows as the movie goes on. Unlike you I am a fan of the plot twist at the end, where DiCarpio discovers the truth.

That plot twist was particularly poor. It's been done several times before. It wasn't original and it wasn't even well done to the point where you could go holy shot, I didn't see that coming. The movie had worked in to this corner where any other ending would have been impossible.

Red Sonja. Wooden acting gets propelled to new heights. Two bad actors come together for swords, sorcery, and horrible line delivery. It could be seen as one of those 'it is what it is' movies. Obviously it was never going to be anything amazing, but even as an action film, I just don't care for it. Saw it years ago, couldn't really remember most of it. Perhaps it should have stayed that way.

Saw Road to Perdition last night. Good shit.

Hanks, Newman and Jude Law were all great. That's 4 out of 4 for Sam Mendes as far as I'm concerned (Thought Jarhead, American Beauty and Revolutionary Road were all great).

Might check out Away we go and see if he can make it a perfect 5!

Let The Right One In

Really really good. Is the book worth reading? is the translation decent? it would be interesting to see if...
...the book goes into more detail with regards to Eli's backstory. There seemed to be hints of Nabokov in the relationship between slave Hakan, as the Humbert figure and the androgynous vampire Lolita. I don't think the film necessarily needed more information and maybe it would spoil the story.

Let The Right One In

Really really good. Is the book worth reading? is the translation decent? it would be interesting to see if...
...the book goes into more detail with regards to Eli's backstory. There seemed to be hints of Nabokov in the relationship between slave Hakan, as the Humbert figure and the androgynous vampire Lolita. I don't think the film necessarily needed more information and maybe it would spoil the story.

I remember reading on IMDB about Eli's history and it was slightly disturbing. No idea what the book is like but thought the film was brilliant.

Match Point

Solid 8/10 for me.

I can see why people would say Jonathan Rhys Meyers is wooden in this film, but he was supposed to be a calm and calculated person. There was a film noir-esque feel to a lot of the dialogue between Scarlette and Johathan that I loved.

Thought the plot ticked along very nicely with themes of sacrificing happiness for comfort and the role luck plays in our lifes. The twist at the end was pretty brutal, I expected him to do something but not anything that crazy.

I'd say watch and ignore the mental hate that one of our members here has for it!

Match Point

Solid 8/10 for me.

I can see why people would say Jonathan Rhys Meyers is wooden in this film, but he was supposed to be a calm and calculated person. There was a film noir-esque feel to a lot of the dialogue between Scarlette and Johathan that I loved.

Thought the plot ticked along very nicely with themes of sacrificing happiness for comfort and the role luck plays in our lifes. The twist at the end was pretty brutal, I expected him to do something but not anything that crazy.

I'd say watch and ignore the mental hate that one of our members here has for it!

I would agree with everything you say here,the most enjoyable film I've watched in ages, its a gem.