Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

District 9 - 5

Had pretty high expectations but just wasn't my cup of tea.

I might have been a bit harsh, as i suppose i was interested enough to want to know how it ends.

Red Road A superb suspensful drama for those who still have the patience to sit through something slower than Transformers. Shows what can be done with a minimal budget and the tension throughout most of the film is almost unnerving in its relentlessness. Despite you thinking you know what the film was about all the way through the end isn't as pat or predictable as you expect and in the end is rather moving. 9/10

Star Trek Superbly cast, superb fun.8.5/10

Star Trek was excellent, probably the best movie of the summer imo.

Yeah and you are spot on, they totally replaced the old classic crew with a new one that was spot on down to Checkov. The time trvael shit was a bit redundant but that aside it was an excellent film well worth seeing.

Rebel without a cause 6/10

Made in 1955 and acclaimed with academy awards but it hasn't aged well. The "tough" high school teenagers look about as scary as Michael Owen and the plot is not compelling. Mainly of interest as James Dean's last film before he died in a car crash.

The third man 9/10

Brilliantly evocative thriller, a 1940's post-war recreation of the seedy side of Vienna under military occupation from the allied powers. Black and white photography and Anton Karas's zither music are memorable.

Biloxi blues 7/10

One of Christopher Walken's best roles as an unpredictable drill sergeant overseeing misfit new recruits to the US army.

The Boat That Rocked 8/10

Solid cast, lots of fun. Slight shame that Jack Davenport didn't get more screen time, he's brilliant, as was Bill Nighy, amazing actor that.

Star Trek was excellent, probably the best movie of the summer imo.

Agreed... Some gratuitous plot writing, but it was absolutely superb entertainment. Personally I always love it when Star Trek goes temporal.

And the bloke who was supposed to be Kirk was excellent with regards to the mannerisms.

The third man 9/10

Brilliantly evocative thriller, a 1940's post-war recreation of the seedy side of Vienna under military occupation from the allied powers. Black and white photography and Anton Karas's zither music are memorable.

Definitely one of the best films of all time.

Surveillance
I figured out the plot about 30 minutes in and after that the movie was a snore fest.
3/10

Tokyo!
This Japanese movie is actually 3 short stories that have no connection other then the location, Tokyo. They are even directed by different directors with different cast etc.
This is one of the strangest movie (or movies) I've ever seen.
6/10

Star Trek was pretty stupid in fairness. Though it was enjoyable.

Though the graphics and effects were especially good.

Star Trek was pretty stupid in fairness. Though it was enjoyable.

Though the graphics and effects were especially good.

It was stupid to anyone who know the slightest thing about black holes, and the time travel made no sense, but it's a really good example of a movie with a silly plot that's not just had money put into it but effort as well, unlike Transformers and some of the other dross of the summer. Like Iron Man last year, Star Trek set the standard for silly fun stuff-blowing-up movies, which wasn't met by Bay and the others.

Angels & Demons 7/10

Storyline and most memorable scenes kept faithful to the book, and the action was well paced, pretty much what you'd expect from a Ron Howard film. Not a bad way to spend two and a half hours. Many details are omitted from the book though, so probably a good idea to read the novel first.

It was stupid to anyone who know the slightest thing about black holes, and the time travel made no sense, but it's a really good example of a movie with a silly plot that's not just had money put into it but effort as well, unlike Transformers and some of the other dross of the summer. Like Iron Man last year, Star Trek set the standard for silly fun stuff-blowing-up movies, which wasn't met by Bay and the others.

It had more or less the same plot as Lost in Space!

Made in 1955 and acclaimed with academy awards but it hasn't aged well. The "tough" high school teenagers look about as scary as Michael Owen and the plot is not compelling. Mainly of interest as James Dean's last film before he died in a car crash.

The third man 9/10

Rebel without a cause is a fantastic film that is just as applicable in today's society as it was then. Granted the action is as realistic as hull winning this years premiership but I don't think that detracts from it as a whole.

That said you're completely spot on with your review on the third man. One of the most beautifully shot films i've seen.

Ace in The Hole - Another Wilder classic. Movie is about a man stuck in a deep hole and Kirk Douglas as a newspaperman wants to make sure the man stays there for some time to make a big story of it. The scene where the stuck man's wife flirts with Douglas has got to be up there with one of the best in cinema. 9/10

If I ever had to choose the best Wilder film I dont think I could do it. For someone who only directed 27 films he simply made too many good ones. Right up there with Kubrick and Hitchcock as the best directors.

Inglourious Basterds - Yes please

Bridge to nowhere - utter crap film about friends that become pimps and of course it's all good at first but then things go wrong. 3/10

The Dreamers - A Bernando Bertolucci film that is probably most famous for having Eva Green's naked body on full display. It's a nice story though 7/10

....Mainly of interest as James Dean's last film before he died in a car crash.

Sorry to be finickety...but it wasn't, Giant was.

Gamer: - 3/10 - Yet another decent idea ruined by a spastic director and a pre-pubescent writer with little or no depth of imagination. While not groundbreaking and essentially a retread of Running Man with a modern twist, the interesting idea of "what happens when gaming gets to a level where gamers can control the actions of real humans" is completely lost in a sludge stream of awful camera work, wooden acting and appallingly paced plot developments. Michael C Hall from Dexter does his best to be evil & charming but can't come close to saving a film that is essentially one long orgasm of bad combat scenes and weak satire...Note to director, wiggling the camera about constantly doesn't make fight scenes intense and realistic, it just makes them nausiating and impossible to see whats happening, and if you're going to have an emotional final showdown with an evil villian, it helps if the villian has been in more than one scene previously...or if any of it made the smallest bit of sense.

I downloaded it, so at least I didn't pay for it...To be honest, I quite like watching bad movies as it gets my blood up and I can complain the whole way through, picking out plot holes and annoying my flatmate

Children of Men. Saw it when it came out, wanted to see it again. There are 3 sequences that make this movie well worth watching. The intricacies of the shots are outstanding. Overall I really enjoyed the movie(again). The downside of the DVD is they don't go into the behind the scenes of the final long take. I really want to see something about that.

Away We Go
Nice little film directed by Sam Mendes starring John Krasinski of the Office (US version) fame. Supposed to be a comedy/drama movie but I'd never call it a comedy even though there were few funny moments.
7/10

Pi 90 minutes of mumbo jumbo about a number theorist with mental problems trying to "crack the stock market code". Also throws in some ancient Hebrew numerology and the game of Go. Too many cliches about mathematics and the perceived lack of sanity in those who practice it. The grainy black and white film might be an attempt to be atmospheric, or possibly they couldn't afford anything better.

3.14/10

Pi 90 minutes of mumbo jumbo about a number theorist with mental problems trying to "crack the stock market code". Also throws in some ancient Hebrew numerology and the game of Go. Too many cliches about mathematics and the perceived lack of sanity in those who practice it. The grainy black and white film might be an attempt to be atmospheric, or possibly they couldn't afford anything better.

3.14/10
fascinating

3.14/10

Conversely I thought it was excellent, clearly not an easy film to watch and certainly not for everyone.

3.14/10

hehehe

Conversely I thought it was excellent, clearly not an easy film to watch and certainly not for everyone.

I reckon he's just slated it so he could work in his 3.14 gag

One could hardly blame him

I reckon he's just slated it so he could work in his 3.14 gag

One could hardly blame him

Maths is a hard-edged subject which has little to do with ancient mysticism. And predicting the stock market through a particular 216-digit number is too simplistic. (The film about Nash was better in that it didn't fall into these traps because the technical stuff did not need to be made up.) And not all mathematicians are brilliant but loopy. At least the guy in NUMB3RS is not mad, which is a good start.

Pi's a great little budget film, just because someone is upset that it does'nt portray mathmaticians as some cool dudes, doesn't make the story less interesting. It's more about a person who has looked at god and found the pattern of his creation in PI. Less than it is about crazy math person adding to a stereotype.

Maths is a hard-edged subject which has little to do with ancient mysticism. And predicting the stock market through a particular 216-digit number is too simplistic. (The film about Nash was better in that it didn't fall into these traps because the technical stuff did not need to be made up.) And not all mathematicians are brilliant but loopy. At least the guy in NUMB3RS is not mad, which is a good start.

Also NUMB3RS is shit in comparison. It ends up being CSI thats solved through some math equation more than them actually investigating the crime and following the leads.

The other week I watched '31 North, 62 East' and it was without doubt the wshittest film I have ever seen. I am making enquiries about how to get a refund for the cost of the cinema ticket. Please warn other movie goers to avoid it like the plague!