Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

CASS

Basically the story of football hooligan Cass Pennant. Wasn't the greatest of films and some of the fight scenes were pretty poor and unrealistic.

6/10

I'm looking to watch more of this kind of film. Any suggestions? This is England looks a good un (trailor was shown before cass), anybody with any more to suggest?

'The Orphanage' - produced by Del Toro...chilling little ghost story. Think 'The Others' with sub-titles.

Seems the new wave of decent horror is coming out of Spain at the moment (see [REC] alongside that).

9/10

The Beast of War - A little known American film from the 80's set during the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. It's a story about a tank and its crew which is separated from its unit and hunted down by Mujaheddin. Don't be put off by the cast (Stephen Baldwin, Jason Patric ...), it's a diamond of a film, one of my favourites from the genre. I wish they'd make more war films like this. 8/10

The Beast of War - A little known American film from the 80's set during the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. It's a story about a tank and its crew which is separated from its unit and hunted down by Mujaheddin. Don't be put off by the cast (Stephen Baldwin, Jason Patric ...), it's a diamond of a film, one of my favourites from the genre. I wish they'd make more war films like this. 8/10

i remember watching that ages ago...does it start with a russian tank crushing a guy alive??

Lakeview Terrace 5/10

Heard good thing about SLJ before watching this - "back to his best" thought he was quite a tit tbh.

Yea, but the script didn't really help. Stupid movie.

The only good thing about it was the wife.

'The Orphanage' - produced by Del Toro...chilling little ghost story. Think 'The Others' with sub-titles.

Seems the new wave of decent horror is coming out of Spain at the moment (see [REC] alongside that).

9/10

Seen them both. Quality movies, Orphanage especially. Really looking forward to what Del Toro can do for the Hobbit.

9/10

Shotgun was also harping on about [Rec]. I didnt think it was all that.

That reminds me, havent seen Shotgun around in a while. Come back, Shotgun!

What you should do is organise for everyone to hire the same movie once a week have it watched by say thursday 10pm GMT and open discussion then where reviews can be posted and spoilers wont matter as its past the watching deadline.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, saw it this evening, excellent film. Dare I say good acting by Brad Pitt. Really good story shows how people interpret what they see on the outside rather than what is on the inside of a person. Adapted from a Fitzgerald short(who I rate extremely highly in the pantheon of American writers) as well.

I didn't realize that had come out, my cinema doesn't seem to be showing it. Cnuts. Anyway Brad Pitt's good value, I thought he was outstanding as Jesse James recently

I didn't realize that had come out, my cinema doesn't seem to be showing it. Cnuts. Anyway Brad Pitt's good value, I thought he was outstanding as Jesse James recently

My new lady friend got me tickets to an advance showing that her company was promoting. It isnt out til Christmas. He was great as Jesse James I agree, I think he is growing as an actor tbh, that said Affleck was even better in the Assasination of Jesse James

Yeah Affleck was fantastic

Pitt has a good record though. Se7en, Fight Club and Twelve Monkeys - three top, top quality films for which he was vital. Kalifornia and Interview with a Vampire were decent performances too

Watched Syriana last night. It was pretty hard to follow, and so I didn't really get into it. Still, some pretty good acting and good writing.

Also, having grown up in the gulf, I loved this quote - "The men are all wearing white sheets. And they're spotless white sheets. I don't really understand that. They kind of say: 'It's hot and I don't have to work.' I don't understand how you could do anything in that? I'd like to see these guys play baseball."

Watched Syriana last night. It was pretty hard to follow, and so I didn't really get into it. Still, some pretty good acting and good writing.

Also, having grown up in the gulf, I loved this quote - "The men are all wearing white sheets. And they're spotless white sheets. I don't really understand that. They kind of say: 'It's hot and I don't have to work.' I don't understand how you could do anything in that? I'd like to see these guys play baseball."

Watch it again, I thought it was an excellent narrative on teh power that Big Oil wields in the US among other things, very good performances all around as well. In addition the movie had great pace

I've still not watched There Will Be Blood. Oh and I liked Coen Borthers' latest effort - Burn After Reading.

I've still not watched There Will Be Blood.

Melodramatic crap with DDL still stuck in his Gangs Of New York character and overacting like mad.

Oh and I liked Coen Borthers' latest effort - Burn After Reading.

So did I.

I didn't rate There Will Be Blood so much either, I thought I was the only one. Considering its length, I always thought Day Lewis seemed rushed through the character, which was always taking big strides through development with no real transition. Weak script too with no flair or personality. Some gorgeous photography though, really outstanding visually

I went and saw the day the world stood still last night. First thing, dont expect an action film the trailer is slightly misleading, if you can get past that then you have a pretty decent film that i think has been unfairly judged at being 2 stars by a few media outlets. Its a slow burner but it is definately worth watching with a good social message

I went and saw the day the world stood still last night. First thing, dont expect an action film the trailer is slightly misleading, if you can get past that then you have a pretty decent film that i think has been unfairly judged at being 2 stars by a few media outlets. Its a slow burner but it is definately worth watching with a good social message
i wanted to see it yesterday but the reviews put my husband off (nothing would put me off keanu however )