Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

saw 'Juno' the other day - I enjoyed it, although my mate hated it and said I had wasted 2 hours of his life with a 'chick flick' but he is a buffoon so who cares

Was a big fan of Thank you for Smoking from the same director - didnt think it was as good as that tho

I have Funny Games lined up for later....will be watching Kadosh too soon(Israeli film). Saw the Three Colours trilogy(French) and the 9/11 series(which I thought was quite crap but I liked the Japanese one)

Funny Games.I saw the original one today....thought it was fantastic. Loved the movie.

saw 'Juno' the other day - I enjoyed it, although my mate hated it and said I had wasted 2 hours of his life with a 'chick flick' but he is a buffoon so who cares

Was a big fan of Thank you for Smoking from the same director - didnt think it was as good as that tho
Both good movies, and yeah. He does sound like a class A moron. Steven Seagal's his favourite director by any chance?

Juno is actually quite good not a girl movie at all, Ellen Paige is quite crass

Shit I never saw that I def well though now, she is very talented

Juno was a good film but the actor playing the father of her baby is a bit annoying.

The Orphanage Excellent atmospheric "horror" film. Perhaps the ending isn't as tense as it could have been but Hollywood could learna great deal from this film the next time they decide to make a pointless gorefest. 8.5/10

I just came back from watching Max Payne... really enjoyed it... but then Marky Mark could take a dump and film it and i would give it 5 stars.

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired. Really good profile of the man and the utterly absurd trial. He's certainly had an eventful life.

Journey to the centre of the earth - 5/10 - A big silly warm mess.

The Island - 7/10 - Slick movie about clones. The movie is 2 hours long but it is very fast paced and with typical Michael Bay special effects. He didn't manage to ruin this film though. Scarlett Johansson was well fit by the way. :drool:

Frequency - 8/10 - Fantastic movie about a guy who talks with his dad back in 1969 via a radio. Everyting he tells his dad can cause a change in the future.

I just came back from watching Max Payne... really enjoyed it... but then Marky Mark could take a dump and film it and i would give it 5 stars.

Nice I was thinking of seeing it, probably will now, looks good in the previews

Nice I was thinking of seeing it, probably will now, looks good in the previews

The only thing that looks strongly like the game is the setting and the flashbacks. It seems to stray a bit, its very hit and miss so sorry if it misses on you.

Films I've really enjoyed in the last year or so;

Apocalypto
A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints
Atonement
Wall-E

I thought Apocalypto was pretty crappy

Yeah I was disappointed by it. After all the fuss they made about the "authenticity" of the movie (using local actors, speaking a Mayan dialect and hiring archaeologists to ensure they were faithful to the reality) they ruin the whole thing at the end with a pointless shot of Europeans arriving several hundred years too early.
They could have rescued the movie if it had then been an entertaining movie, but it wasn't. I found it all a bit uninspiring and dull to be honest.

I thought Apocalypto was quite excellent. It was incredibly stupid and simple minded and even ideologically questionable - the hint that small pox was prevelant before the arrival of Europeans for just 1 example.

But it has a derranged quality and intensity that made it thrilling to watch. Gibson is a numbskull but he can direct sadistic horror and torture like noone else. It has nothing to say about the time, the people or the place but it's like Rambo turned up to 11.

Since you guys primarily watch film noir and other weird stuff, I momentarily jump the bandwagon, as I have to recommend this movie to you:

"The Man From Earth" starring David Lee Smith.

The poster is way too flashy for the film, a really bad choice in my opinion. It is a really great story. It is so well told, that you don't realize that you haven't moved a muscle for an hour and a half, until the credits roll.
I really don't want to spoil anything, but I can say that "The Man From Earth" is the square root of "Encino Man"+"Highlander" :D

8.5/10

I would like to re-suggest this movie as it is top notch! Even though there is some horrid acting, cinematography etc etc.. But the greatest story EVER!

I quite liked Body of Lies.. Some of you folks obviously didn't.. Is it only me or did Hani from Jordan remind you of Berbatov?

Righteous Kill was good too..

I thought Apocalypto was quite excellent. It was incredibly stupid and simple minded and even ideologically questionable - the hint that small pox was prevelant before the arrival of Europeans for just 1 example.

But it has a derranged quality and intensity that made it thrilling to watch. Gibson is a numbskull but he can direct sadistic horror and torture like noone else. It has nothing to say about the time, the people or the place but it's like Rambo turned up to 11.

You may have a very good point there - as I've studied and worked in Mesoamerica I was watching it with a definite angle in mind... which, once they'd fecked up that aspect of the movie, rather ruined the rest of it for me.

Shadow of the Vampire. Farce about the making of Nosferatu. At least I think it was being played for laughs. The idea is that Max Schrek was actually a real life Vampire. Malkovich, Dafoe and Izzard do a pretty good job, it has some very funny bits. Although Marnua seems to be player as Werner Herzog and the cameraman replacement is clearly Klaus Kinski - references to the remake i'm guessing?

I dunno it was all a bit confusing. Certainly a curiosity but not a particularly good film.

Apparently that's what he did. Seems awful by the look of things and reviews I've heard. Even my mainstream friend gave this sensible verdict:

"I'M feckING PISSED ABOUT MAX PAYNE!!! DONT WATCH THIS feckING PIECE OF SHIT!!!!"

Apparently that's what he did. Seems awful by the look of things and reviews I've heard. Even my mainstream friend gave this sensible verdict:

"I'M feckING PISSED ABOUT MAX PAYNE!!! DONT WATCH THIS feckING PIECE OF SHIT!!!!"

We'll you will just about always be dissapointed if you go into a movie expecting non stop action.

I was dissapointed there wasn't more slow mo, or that when he rages up and is hsopoting some machinepistols, they should of been normal handguns shooting really quick to simulate him in 'slow motion' but looking from the worlds perspective. Little things like that would of made it better. I sitll enjoyed it, will probably get the DVD when it comes out.

8 Women. Over the top, camp, absurd and yet strangely enjoyable. Like a huge marshmallow but not in a Staypuff way.

Coach Carter and Remember the Titans - Both 10/10. Just watched both recently for the 20th time. If you haven't seen them, I strongly recommend.

Coach Carter and Remember the Titans - Both 10/10. Just watched both recently for the 20th time. If you haven't seen them, I strongly recommend.

Remember the Titans is easily my favourite film ever. HAvent seen Coach Carter, will have to check it out.