Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I thought the Two Towers was the best of the lot too.

It was like a prelude, in that the two 'lessers' of the Good and Evil were battling it out. Where just down the road the big boys were getting ready for the main show.

The Ents were fantastic too, though in the book they were truly magnificent. Unfortunately if they tried to play them out exactly the same as in the book the movie would've gone for half a day. I wish they captured more of the kind of anguish-cross-emergency feeling Merry and Pippin were feeling when dealing with the Ents though, but they certainly did it well enough.

If you really liked those scenes you'd probably love the Hobbit, where it's a more centralised story - a group of travellers, and doesn't branch off into huge wars with ramifications to the whole of mankind etc. It stays central mostly.

I actually really like The Hobbit as a stand alone book. I could never get into the trilogy despite reading bits of all of them. Having now seen the films I doubt I ever will.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Smaug in the film, he's quite a verbal character in the book. Talking dragons have a patchy history in films.

Muscle Beach Party. More hijinx at the beach with a bunch of surfers. All Frankie Avalon wants is to get his knob slobbered on. Unfortunately Annette Funicello is a fecking prude. Songs are sung, kids dance, shenanigans ensue. These movies certainly aren't for everyone.

Will you stop watching this kinda crap.

Movies I've currently rented:
Touch of Evil
It Happened One Night
Stalag 17
Brazil

Going to be a helluva weekend.

You're going to have a hell of a time getting the Brazil theme out of your head.

STREET KINGS - watched this last night. Has Keanu Reeves, Forest Whitaker & Hugh Laurie to name a few.

Was basically about corruption and the like in a US police force and it sees Keanu Reeves character implicated in the murder of a fellow cop. This forces him to go against the cop culture he seems toi have been a part of and involved in throughout his career.

For me it was ok, nothing special. i always find that when American rappers are used in these kind of films they seem to quickly lose any sense of realism and you can't really attach yourself to what is going on.

STREET KINGS - watched this last night. Has Keanu Reeves, Forest Whitaker & Hugh Laurie to name a few.

Was basically about corruption and the like in a US police force and it sees Keanu Reeves character implicated in the murder of a fellow cop. This forces him to go against the cop culture he seems toi have been a part of and involved in throughout his career.

For me it was ok, nothing special. i always find that when American rappers are used in these kind of films they seem to quickly lose any sense of realism and you can't really attach yourself to what is going on.

most movies like that annoy me, serpico will never be bettered in that genre

Touch of Evil

More fun than Citizen Kane in my opinion.

Watched The Departed last night. Walhberg and Nicholson are enjoyable enough but it's a lazy film. Has none of the tension of Infernal Affairs and it's badly put together. Had to check that it had won the OSCAR and realised it was just the last in a long line of lousy winners. (With the exception of LOTR, that was awarded it for the trilogy).

2001 A Beautiful Mind
2002 Chicago
2003 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2004 Million Dollar Baby
2005 Crash
2006 The Departed

Ohh, still can't believe that Million Dollar Baby won it. But historically speaking, when did the Academy Awards mean quality movie?

They actually Kramer vs. Kramer > Apocalypse Now

Funny Games

Indie flick with Tim Roth and Naomi Watts as a couple with there son who go to their holiday home and get taken hostage by two Phycos.

Decent flick, interestingly shot and some good performances all round. A nice dark film with a good un-holywoody ending.

8/10

Indie flick with Tim Roth and Naomi Watts as a couple with there son who go to their holiday home and get taken hostage by two Phycos.

Decent flick, interestingly shot and some good performances all round. A nice dark film with a good un-holywoody ending.

8/10

I found this film a load of shit to be honest Nomes.

More fun than Citizen Kane in my opinion.

Watched The Departed last night. Walhberg and Nicholson are enjoyable enough but it's a lazy film. Has none of the tension of Infernal Affairs and it's badly put together. Had to check that it had won the OSCAR and realised it was just the last in a long line of lousy winners. (With the exception of LOTR, that was awarded it for the trilogy).

2001 A Beautiful Mind
2002 Chicago
2003 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2004 Million Dollar Baby
2005 Crash
2006 The Departed
Nicholson annoyed the shit out of me in that movie.

Million Dollar Baby started great, ended poorly in my opinion.

8/10

Krg

Original was better

Leatherheads

Fun, easy movie with some snappy dialogue. LIked the throwback setting. A nice enjoyable movie.

The Savages

Crap, melodramatic, sad, slow. Stopped it half way. Just do not see it picking up.

Frantic.

I watched that a few weeks ago when it was on ITV3. Not bad at all. Though I tend to like anything with Emmanuelle Seigner in it. Bitter Moon in particular.:drool:

Bitter Moon was a top movie. Good news you will be paralyzed for life, bad news I will be taking care of you.

Sky captain and the world of tomorrow

Nice film, got nothing bad to say about it. I liked it's retro style look and visual effects.

7/10

I'd give it a 6.5/10, I like retro feel of the film as well, fairly interesting albeit farfetched story

My feck Alek, 100 post in 2.5 years where did u go

Got kids, two of them and suddenly I lost my free time to debate on here. Plus I realized that there weren't much of debates really, considering the muppet count.

But I do trust the caf's movie recomendation.

Fair enough young man, it's decent thread I enjoy it as well

Is it me, or there just haven't been any good movies this year. Something like Eastern Promises, or the Kite Runner, or Last King of Scotland. Any recomendations for movies like these? Realistic type. No iron man, hulk, transformer's crap.

I got Transsiberian, Counterfeiters and the movie about Enron set up to watch.

I completely agree, Eva Mendes is fecking bangin' I find her irresistible.

I have Funny Games lined up for later....will be watching Kadosh too soon(Israeli film). Saw the Three Colours trilogy(French) and the 9/11 series(which I thought was quite crap but I liked the Japanese one)

That looks fecking horrible, like some poor 80's kungfu flick. Not to mention the fact it seems to be NOTHING like the actual show, bar the peoples names.

What the hell is with Bulma and Mai (who is that?) using guns, what the hell's with the gay Fast and the Furious cars?

FFS.

And they don't even have VEGETA for fecking fecks sakes. The best character in the whole damn show/the original bad guy's not even in it.

This will fail.

Yes and no, I turned it off after 30 min.

Expected very much more, it was the definition of crap. And I don't want to elaborate.